PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar kit

Pages : [1] 2

Nevin
05-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Howdy everyone. Nevin here, with some wonderful news. I have been doing research and experimentation for the last two years on a larger rear sway bar for our beloved SVX. In stock conditions the car certainly handles well enough for it's weight, but I wanted something a little better.

With the help of fellow boardmember TomsSVX I think I have come up with something that is a cost-effective modification that will greatly enhance our car's handling dynamics. What it effectively does is reduces body roll in cornering which increases the rear tires' ability to help carry some of the load. By reducing load in the front, the car understeers less and is also more responsive in normal driving.

I wanted to test the bar on both extremes of suspension setups. My car's suspension is as stock as it comes, and I knew that tom had just about every other piece you could bolt-on to the car, so he was a logical choice when it came to experimentation.

Here's what Tom had to say about the bar:

Got the bar in this afternoon after doing a control run w/ the stock bar. I had already made the assumption that w/ the coilovers we would not see much difference in handling.... Well, I was wrong

The bar is painless to install if you know how to turn a wrench. I LOVE the fact that Nevin has chosen grease-able bushings as squeaky rear bushings are embarrasing.

Driving impressions, the rear is MUCH more planted through turns and turn-in. I can throw the car around w/ very little rear body roll and never break traction. Safely approach turns well over speed without worrying too much about the back end comming around and has also reduced some of the car's tendency to brake steer. Granted this is all dependent upon your tires but mine are sticking nicely in the rear now. WELL worth it mod!!

Tom

How hard is it to install? If you have a friend and know how to turn a wrench, less than 90 minutes. If you're a first timer, this is still an easy modification that doesn't require a ton of knowledge to install.

HERE (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showpost.php?p=627446&postcount=283) is a link to an install thread that I've previously written up. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

So, what does the bar cost? The price is $260 shipped in the lower 48 states + extra for international orders (TBD on a case-by case basis.) Since the bars are still not actually ready to go, I will only require a pre-payment of 50% which would be $130. "Hold on" you say, "I don't want to give you that much money now! What if you screw me on it?" I know that this is a possibility that everyone needs to consider when dealing on the internet. I myself have been ripped off a few times, so I know exactly what it's like. I have vowed to never do that to anyone, and so far I have always kept my word. Ask anyone who has dealt with me and they will tell you that I have always come through.

So, how do you pay me? Paypal is how we'll be doing it this time around. The address? wahwahrockwah@hotmail.com

So, what do you get for $260? You get:

the swaybar
sweet, beefy endlinks
greaseable polyurethane (energy suspension) bushings
grease for the bushings
every nut and bolt you need

What color is the bar, you ask? I call them "bontrager blue." A blue very similar to subaru world rally blue. With a durable powdercoated finish, these will stay shiny for a long time, and will resist rusting very well.

Here's a shot from some previously sold.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarsfinished2002.jpg

So, how do you go about saying you're interested and telling me you want a bar? Here's the plan...

You can respond here, but the best way to get your hands on one is to send me the paypal first, then reply here. There will be 15 bars for sale, and the first people to send their pre-payment will be the ones to have them. If, by chance, I receive more than 15 payments, the people who have paid most currently (further down the list) will receive their $130 back in full. I don't think it will come to that, but it case it does, that's just how it'll have to be.

So, when can you expect this wonderbar? I expect them to be done in approximately 3 weeks, and ready to ship out in 4. So, lets call it 30 days to be conservative, but I honestly expect them to be done before that. Once I have them in my possession ready to ship, you will again be notified to send the remainder of your payment and after I receive the remainder of your money, your bar will be shipped.

If I have let out anything, please don't hesitate to ask and if you have any questions, you can PM me on here, or send me an email at nevinbontrager@gmail.com. (I do prefer emails, because my PM box can clog up rather quickly)

So there we have it. Once you have paid, I will create a list of names here that will reflect who is in the group buy. IF when the time comes you decide to change your mind for whatever reason, there will be a surcharge on your refund. I will refund your %50 pre-payment LESS $25. WHEN YOU PAYPAL ME, please include your screenname, so I can help keep things straight. I'll ask for your address later on when they're ready to ship!

For international orders, simply paypal $130, and the shipping will be figured out and added to your final payment.

Thank you very much for your support, and let's get you folks some swaybars!!

-nevin bontrager
bontragerworks

thickasxthieves
05-05-2010, 07:59 PM
payment sent, I've been patiently chomping at the bit to finally get one.

thanks so much for making these available to us all Nevin.

LetItSnow
05-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Paid, as well. :D

ZMan
05-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Payment sent as well.
Been waiting for this - Thanks Nevin!

Nevin
05-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I just now checked my payments and there are only two, yet three of you claim to have sent it. Also, be sure to include your screennames so I can keep you straight. If I don't have it, I'll just put your initials in your place.

(in order of payment received)

1. Letitsnow
2. Zman

Blacky
05-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Payment sent. Thanks

Nevin
05-05-2010, 09:09 PM
1. Letitsnow
2. zman
3. blacky

thickasxthieves
05-05-2010, 09:40 PM
DOH!

typo in the paypal address i sent it to. payment sent to correct address

Nevin
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
1. Letitsnow
2. Zman
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves

Tim
05-06-2010, 04:40 AM
As soon as I get to work I'll be paypaling the deposit :D

Tim
05-06-2010, 05:59 AM
1. Letitsnow
2. Zman
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim (christopher is the paypal name)

Nevin
05-06-2010, 06:40 AM
1. Letitsnow
2. Zman
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim

subarusvx1992
05-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Money sent!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

waynes
05-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Money Sent. Thanks Nevin!!!!
:D:D:D

Nevin
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
1. Letitsnow
2. Zman
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim
6. subarusvx1992
7. waynes

Spots are filling up fast! And that means I can pay for extra parts sooner and get you swaybars faster. Hazaah!

Sweet! 900th post!!

NeedForSpeed
05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
1. Letitsnow
2. Zman
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim
6. subarusvx1992
7. waynes

Spots are filling up fast! And that means I can pay for extra parts sooner and get you swaybars faster. Hazaah!

Sweet! 900th post!!

Looks like a 'runaway' success :)
By the time this buy is through, you'll hit 1K :cool:

LetItSnow
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
If cash makes for speed, I'm still willing to prepay 100%.

thickasxthieves
05-06-2010, 06:47 PM
^^^ what he said.

TomsSVX
05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
The name s still all wrong... You should call it the Wunderbar:D

Tom

Nevin
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM

Tom

I thought about it, but I just figured everyone would think it's a typo. hahah

Tim
05-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Tom

I disagree from a marketing standpoint. The product that it sounds like is nothing but deceitful.

The swaybar is a product that performs, not disappoints, like other wonder prducts.:eek:

Nevin
05-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Come on folks! We need more people on board!

I was hoping to have all 15 spoken for by now, but that's wishful thinking I suppose. At any rate, it would sure be nice to have them all spoken for before I get them all made.

Tell your neighbor, your buddy, your grandma, your former roommate's ex-wife, and her cat!!

LetItSnow
05-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Something something TiC something something?

Freeman
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd be on board by now but I've been waiting to get some money for some time now. I was promised a raise but it's been over a month. Damn it..

Wikedjuggalo
05-12-2010, 08:08 AM
I will see about sending the deposit next week. Can I go ahead and pay in full?

Nevin
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
To keep it fair/easier to keep track of, I'd prefer only partial payments for now. But thank you for your consideration!

Yes, the thought of contacting Clint at TiC had crossed my mind. I know he wants some, and if the interest is not there to sell the remainder here, then I may very well go to him.

Nevin
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Ok folks, just thought I'd update you all here.

Last night I got the rest of the work done on the bars before the powdercoating. My plan is to take them to the powdercoater tomorrow night, and I would imagine I'd have them back in a week or so. Usually turnaround with them is a week or less.

So, they should be back in my posession by next wednesday, and I'll probably start shipping them out next weekend.

I consider this good news for everyone!

LetItSnow
05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
It would be outstanding to have before my next autocross on the 13th...

Nevin
05-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, I have even better news.

Turns out that my plans tonight changed, so I decided to see if Rick (the powdercoater) would be at the shop. He WAS, so I decided to take the bars up to him tonight.

So, they are there now, and could possibly still be done by friday or saturday night. However, until I get boxes made it would still be next weekend til I start shipping them out. Just fyi.

Also, I decided to make one for myself, and get it in a sweet color. I'll show you pictures of it when it shows up. :)

svxcess
05-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Also, I decided to make one for myself, and get it in a sweet color. :)

Sweeter than Bontrager Blue? That should have been the Reading sway bar.

Maybe I need to do a trade-in... :rolleyes:

NeedForSpeed
05-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Well, I have even better news. I decided to make one for myself, and get it in a sweet color. I'll show you pictures of it when it shows up. :)

Okay, you should have one, and one-of-a-kind, but what kind? :confused:

Nevin
05-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Sweeter than Bontrager Blue? That should have been the Reading sway bar.

Maybe I need to do a trade-in... :rolleyes:

Hahaha, well yours is still a sweet color John, it really is. And Larry just wanted a black one, so black he'll receive. There was a really sweet candy orange-ish kinda one that he has now, but I decided to stick with a blue, but its a lighter blue, kinda "laser" blue, with some shiny speckles in it. I think it'll look sweet. And if not, then I'll just sell it! hahah

Nevin
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Ok everyone, I got a call from my powdercoater on saturday night to tell me that the bars were done and ready to pick up. I think it's safe to say that this is good news! I plan on making a trip there tomorrow evening and picking them up!

I've decided to go ahead and accept the remainder of your payments for those who are on the list.

If you are in the U.S. just send the remaining $130, and if you are in canada, please make your payment $150 USD.

Payments are accepted again via paypal at the address: wahwahrockwah@hotmail.com

Once I get the bars, I'll begin packaging them up and they should start shipping next saturday. Once your bar is shipped I'll email you with a tracking number and expected delivery date, and things should be all honkey-dorey.

Thanks again!!

-nevin

Nevin
05-31-2010, 05:20 PM
1. Letitsnow
2. Zman
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
6. subarusvx1992
7. waynes

Again, include your usernames and addresses to help me keep things clear. Thank you!!

subarusvx1992
05-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Final Payment Sent!!!

swaybar!swaybar!swaybar!:)

LetItSnow
05-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Paided!890

Nevin
05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
1. Letitsnow PAID IN FULL
2. Zman
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
6. subarusvx1992 PAID IN FULL
7. waynes

Nevin
06-01-2010, 11:29 PM
2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL

Also, more good news. Went up tonight and picked up the bars and they look amazing! (as usual) Here are some pictures of the three colors I had done. Why 3 colors, you ask? Well, I got the special color, Larry Singer (winner of the reading bar) wanted black, and then of course the rest are Bontrager Blue.

Here's a shot of all 3 together.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/pictures019.jpg

Here's a shot of mine.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/pictures018.jpg

And here's my finally clean car that my bar is going on sometime soon! hahaha

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/pictures025.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist posting the car. It hasn't had a good cleaning in a while and I gave it a GOOD cleaning on monday. Just had to share!

Anyway, I'm rounding up cardboard to make boxes, and I anticipate shipping at least a few of these out by the weekend. As always, I'll keep you posted!

Goodnight!

-nevin

thickasxthieves
06-02-2010, 06:31 AM
PAYDAY IS FRIDAY!!!

send payment then k?

Tim
06-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Anyway, I'm rounding up cardboard to make boxes, and I anticipate shipping at least a few of these out by the weekend. As always, I'll keep you posted!

-nevin

If you want to ship mine out first, I wont complain ;)

svxcess
06-02-2010, 09:33 AM
If you want to ship mine out first, I wont complain ;)

Why wait around? Sounds like a perfect excuse for a road trip. :)

Nevin
06-02-2010, 11:14 AM
You fellas that I haven't received final payment from yet, don't worry about how soon you can pay. They've got your names on them, so they're not going anywhere else. As soon as is convenient for you to pay is fine with me.

And I would welcome visitors to iowa to get their bars installed by THE nevin!! hahaha

Freeman
06-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I think it's less of a concern with "not having a bar reserved" and more of a "I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!"

Nevin
06-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I think it's less of a concern with "not having a bar reserved" and more of a "I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!"

Well, unfortunately the only way to go from "i want i want" to "I have, and it's awesome!!!" is by sending me the $260. hahaah Sorry to be johnny raincloud.

If you miss this time around, I'm sure there will be more in the future though!

Nevin
06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL

All of you guys that I have marked as paid in full here, I have good news. I got all 5 of your bars shipped out today! Yay!!!

So, I don't have your tracking info in front of me currently, but if you want it I can easily give it to you. If you would like your tracking number give me an email at nevinbontrager@gmail.com and I'll get it out to you!

Blacky
06-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Payment sent. Thanks Nevin.

ZMan
06-06-2010, 09:52 AM
2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL

All of you guys that I have marked as paid in full here, I have good news. I got all 5 of your bars shipped out today! Yay!!!

So, I don't have your tracking info in front of me currently, but if you want it I can easily give it to you. If you would like your tracking number give me an email at nevinbontrager@gmail.com and I'll get it out to you!

THANK YOU!:banana::banana::banana:

Nevin
06-07-2010, 11:44 PM
2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky PAID IN FULL
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL

Bruce, you have been added to the paid in full list. I would like to get yours out tomorrow night, but if I can't I should be able to by wednesday. Thanks again!!

And come on people, I have 8 of these left! I need these gone, tell your friends!!

immortal_suby
06-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm stunned that these aren't all gone. I'd rather slice bread than go back to the stock body roll.

Wikedjuggalo
06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey Nevin,

I sent you a payment, I can't wait to get the bar !

icingdeath88
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm stunned that these aren't all gone. I'd rather slice bread than go back to the stock body roll.

I can't even remember what that was like lol.

Tim
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I can't even remember what that was like lol.

I'm excited to see how it pairs up with coilovers

Nevin
06-09-2010, 04:37 PM
2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky PAID IN FULL
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL
8. wickedjugalo PAID IN FULL

Nate, I just now looked and saw your payment and you're in luck, I planned on shipping another one tonight, so yours will go out tonight as well.

Nate and Bruce, if you want your tracking numbers please email me at nevinbontrager@gmail.com and I can get them to you when I get home tonight!

And Matt, I can't even remember what stock body roll feels like anymore, and I don't want to have to know!

Wikedjuggalo
06-09-2010, 04:40 PM
2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky PAID IN FULL
4. Thickasxthieves
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL

Nate, I just now looked and saw your payment and you're in luck, I planned on shipping another one tonight, so yours will go out tonight as well.

Nate and Bruce, if you want your tracking numbers please email me at nevinbontrager@gmail.com and I can get them to you when I get home tonight!

:D This is most excellent!

Nevin
06-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Blacky, wickedjugalo; your bars shipped out tonight! Your tracking numbers have been emailed to you, along with additional comments.

Plenty more to spare, come on folks!!

Wikedjuggalo
06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Blacky, wickedjugalo; your bars shipped out tonight! Your tracking numbers have been emailed to you, along with additional comments.

Plenty more to spare, come on folks!!

Thanks again Nevin!

Blacky
06-10-2010, 04:48 AM
Mrs. Robinson thanks you too!;)

thickasxthieves
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
other half of payment sent.

LetItSnow
06-10-2010, 10:42 AM
E. SYRACUSE, NY, US 06/10/2010 6:12 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
So many w00t.

If it wasn't my anniversary, I'd have it on tonight! :lol:

Nevin
06-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Hahah, well I'm glad you've learned to prioritize!

Also, for the rest of you whose bars may be showing up in the next few days, if you could let me know when they arrive that would sure be a load off my mind.

2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky PAID IN FULL
4. Thickasxthieves PAID IN FULL
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL

And Liam, added you to the list as well. I'll get yours packaged up and I think I can get it out tomorrow night. I'll get you the tracking number when the times comes.

Thanks again everyone!

-nevin

Tim
06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Would you be able to look up the estimated delivery date for mine? Just want to make sure I'm home for it :)

Nevin
06-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Would you be able to look up the estimated delivery date for mine? Just want to make sure I'm home for it :)

Unfortunately I don't have expected times, just dates. I just now tracked it and found it to have been checked in at Secaucus, NJ (36 miles from you) just a few hours ago. I'm sure you'll get it tomorrow, but as to what time I couldn't say. Whatever time your local UPS man comes through, is my best guess.

LetItSnow
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Mine comes through sometime between when I leave for the restaurant and when I return from the restaurant. Mark me down as RECEIVED!

Now, I've just gotta sort out what all these bits are...

(All sorted out by the install link in post 1. Should be tomorrow!)

Nevin
06-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Mine comes through sometime between when I leave for the restaurant and when I return from the restaurant. Mark me down as RECEIVED!

Now, I've just gotta sort out what all these bits are...

Glad to hear. The small bolts are for the bushings, and the big ones are for the endlinks. Just click the link in my signature or on the first post of this thread. It's a pretty easy install! Also, did your grease arrive un-smashed? You're the first I've heard to get theirs with grease.

Email me if you have any questions. That goes for any of you.

nevinbontrager@gmail.com

LetItSnow
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Unsmashed. :eek: And I found the link already - it makes all clear. :)

subarusvx1992
06-11-2010, 07:52 AM
I just wanted to let anyone who hasn't purchased one of these bars know that they are missing out on the BEST suspension upgrade that can possibly done to an SVX. With the bar fitted the car has NO understeer at all!

I took my car out for a spin last night after I finished installing the bar and the difference was night and day. Being able to turn hard through a corner and have the back end actually work through a corner is the best feeling in the world!!

Also, kudos to Nevin for the perfect fitment of the parts and for the excellent instructions that are found in his signiture. Everything went together easily and fit perfectly.

Thank you Nevin and to everyone who helped develop the bar. I look forward to anything that is being offered in the future.

Nevin
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Anthony, I am flattered by your kind words. Thank you very much, and I'm glad the install went well an that you like your bar!! I'd gladly do business with you again! I'm always nervous to hear reactions, but feel great when you guys like the bar as much as I do.

Liam, I just now packaged up your bar and I am stopping by staples to ship it tonight. I will get you your tracking number tonight or tomorrow, but I don't think it'll ship out til tomorrow anyway.

thickasxthieves
06-12-2010, 09:07 AM
thats cool nevin thanks. really appreciate the quick turn around on your part. sorry for the delay, was at the beach without phone. or svx :( maybe ill have it starting by the time the bar arrives :/

Tim
06-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. I look forward to installing tomorrow with pictures :)

LetItSnow
06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Am I crazy, or did I use a 15mm wrench (instead of 16mm per instructions) to secure the height of the endlinks? Truth told, the 15mm was a tad loose on one side, so I used a 9/16! :eek:

Tim
06-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I installed mine today. I believe I used 14 mm for most part minus the endlink itself where I used the 15mm. Even with the coilovers at 450lb/in F and 350lb/in R I still experienced some lean and understeer. This definitely picks up where the coilovers leave off. Install took less than 2 hours and the car corners flat and is much more confidence inspiring. The Z4 is staying parked this week :)

The mod is very well worth it. Thanks again Nevin.

LetItSnow
06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
The bar trimmed a lot of understeer out of my car. I usually run 2-3 psi more in the front tires in autocross, but today I brought them to about even.

Either way, good stuff. :cool:

Nevin
06-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Excellent, you guys are great. I really do appreciate all the feedback here. And I'm very glad that you all like the product!

Thanks again to all of you for supporting me, and please tell your svx friends!!

p.s. the next thing to be included in the cost of the sale will be stickers! Cause stickers are TeH F4Ste5t!!!

ZMan
06-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Lighter pictures from Nevin's install post.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u350/Ed_N_Kath/swaybarsfinished2006.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u350/Ed_N_Kath/swaybarsfinished2012.jpg

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u350/Ed_N_Kath/swaybarsfinished2013.jpg

Lookin4SVX
06-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Zman, them pics are brighter, but they kind of look like watercolor paintings.

My attempt (using shadow/highlight filter in photochop):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4700346452_c8e0249ebd_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4700346464_e7e9297293_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4700346474_eef92b72d3_b.jpg

Anyways, just wanted to try and help out if I could.

ZMan
06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Your right, I was just doing a real quickie job on them just to get them out there. Thanks, Ed

Nevin
06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Your right, I was just doing a real quickie job on them just to get them out there. Thanks, Ed

Thanks for the consideration Ed. And did you get yours on?

I'll be taking more pictures here in a few weeks, or possibly a short video, when I install the new production BW22 bar on my own car. I do apologize that the install pictures were not the best, but you guys are smart, I knew you'd figure it out! ;)

ZMan
06-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the consideration Ed. And did you get yours on?

I'll be taking more pictures here in a few weeks, or possibly a short video, when I install the new production BW22 bar on my own car. I do apologize that the install pictures were not the best, but you guys are smart, I knew you'd figure it out! ;)

Just got it installed, took a short ride, and could instantly notice a difference.
Car is Generally tighter feeling all around, quicker steering response, and flatter cornering and i really didn't put to the test yet. - Ed

Nevin
06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Just got it installed, took a short ride, and could instantly notice a difference.
Car is Generally tighter feeling all around, quicker steering response, and flatter cornering and i really didn't put to the test yet. - Ed

Well I'm glad that so far so good.

I have a feeling that the harder you push it the more you'll like it. :)

that's been the case so far anyway...

Tim
06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Just figured I'd post a snapshot of the old versus new.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs316.snc3/28450_10100125649259759_8810203_54576228_6672836_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs326.ash1/28450_10100125649254769_8810203_54576227_5281807_n .jpg

Nevin
06-16-2010, 06:38 AM
2. Zman PAID IN FULL
3. Blacky PAID IN FULL
4. Thickasxthieves PAID IN FULL
5. Tim PAID IN FULL
7. waynes PAID IN FULL
9. TurnInConcepts PAID IN FULL

6 left, get yours today!!

Freeman
06-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Nevin, have you thought about setting up a website to help you sell your product? Unfortunatly, not everyone who owns an svx is a member of the network so they might not know your product exists. Why not take it to the next level?

Nevin
06-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Nevin, have you thought about setting up a website to help you sell your product? Unfortunatly, not everyone who owns an svx is a member of the network so they might not know your product exists. Why not take it to the next level?

Honestly, I really don't have the interest in selling a huge volume yet. And really, I don't think the numbers that I would pick up would be that huge anyway. Having an SVX-specific site would have very little traffic and even less online purchases I would think. Espescially since this is currently the only prodct I offer, and availability is directly effected by having the $$ from the initial payment of a bulk buy.

If you saw a random guy with a website selling a part that you didn't think even existed, would you even think it was legit?

Also, I'd rather do a small thing really well than do something larger not so well, and with a website, I think it's a bit over my head. The only other things I've considered are selling them on ebay, and selling them through Turn In Concepts.

I'm honestly happy as a clam right now selling them just like this.

And like I've said before. The profit is nice, but the only reason I made one in the first place was because I wanted one and I figured that others did too!

-nevin

Blacky
06-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I got mine today. It's a beauty. Eh?
Nice packing job and an ultra nice product.
You would do very well selling these on Ebay. You could post a link to this thread with all the wonderful comments about your product.

Thanks a million Nevin

Wikedjuggalo
06-17-2010, 02:13 AM
I just wanna thank Nevin for quickly resolving the issue with UPS. Somewhere along the line they attempted to deliver to the wrong address (and wouldn't let me pick it up at the store). All is well and hopefully tomorrow I will be posting that I received it and how joyous it is to have on the car.

waynes
06-17-2010, 05:49 AM
I just wanted to thank you again Nevin for a really great product. I had mine installed over the weekend and I'm really enjoying the difference. My car is a lot more fun to drive. I would recomend this upgrade to all SVX owners. WOW!!

Wikedjuggalo
06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah got it today :D. Can't wait to install it

Tim
06-19-2010, 06:38 AM
All I can say is wow.

I took the normal onramp that I usually take at about 30-40 where the car starts to approach to its limits. Last night I was hitting 40 and felt like I was barely pushing it. I haven't driven either car much this week but the more I drive the SVX now the more I'm enjoying it.

I feel like I'm driving around in a 3500lb go-kart. Fun factor and driving experience has increased significantly. Bump for an awesome product.

Nevin
06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
You are all too kind. Thank you for your good reviews!

Just so you all know, I have 3 blue ones left, one black one, and one blemished blue one that I'm selling at a discounted rate ($245)

So, I have a total of 5 left, but one is slightly blemished in the powdercoating.

Also, this format worked really well for the sale this time around. I think I would do this again this way, but probably only 10 at a time again instead of 15. Less bars is less hassle, plus less overhead.

Thank you all again, this has gone very smoothly!!

SVXRide
06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Nevin,
I'll be PayPaling you in a week or so...just found out I have to get tires for my son's SVX...:rolleyes:
-Bill
p.s. I'll take that blemished one if it helps you out...

Nevin
06-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Nevin,
I'll be PayPaling you in a week or so...just found out I have to get tires for my son's SVX...:rolleyes:
-Bill
p.s. I'll take that blemished one if it helps you out...

That'd be just peachy, Bill. I'll set it aside for you!

4 left everyone!

3 blue and 1 black!

ZMan
06-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Sway Bar In Action!

<object width="980" height="765"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YpEdROftns&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3YpEdROftns&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="980" height="765"></embed></object>

Nevin
06-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Sweet video Ed. Very nice! I hope you are happy with your new purchase!

And I was the first to respond on youtube!! woot!

ZMan
06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Sweet video Ed. Very nice! I hope you are happy with your new purchase!

And I was the first to respond on youtube!! woot!

Thanks Nevin, hoped you would like it. - Ed

subarusvx1992
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Amazing Camera Work!!

Great video! Where did you have the camera mounted?

ZMan
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Amazing Camera Work!!

Great video! Where did you have the camera mounted?

Thanks, i had a piece of slotted steel strap that i put a bend on one end to hold the camera using the threaded hole for a tripod that is in most cameras, then bolted the strap to one of the bottom bolts that the sway bar bushing uses.

I had enough thread from the bolt to put the strap, then another nut to hold it.

I also used a tie wrap to hold the carry strap from the camera to the bar as a safety. - Ed

thickasxthieves
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Awww Zman, i thought i was the only fwd svx with teh swaybar :( ah well.

Nevin im just gonna come out and say this now. I love you.

the onramp i take every morning to go to work, my previous limit was 58... any more and my tires would be breaking free or understeering like a mofo depending on weather. today i took it at 65 with room to spare :D down my favorite backroad, my entry speed was up by 5 mph in all of them, some i could have even put more through. like everybody says, the car corners flatter and faster, steering responds quicker, and i can now get the car sideways easily when before it had was a taxing process for a little sideways action, now its easy to get gratuitous slideways action :D

i love you nevin.

Lookin4SVX
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Nevin, I will take the black one.

Sending you email now.

Nevin
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Awww Zman, i thought i was the only fwd svx with teh swaybar :( ah well.

Nevin im just gonna come out and say this now. I love you.

the onramp i take every morning to go to work, my previous limit was 58... any more and my tires would be breaking free or understeering like a mofo depending on weather. today i took it at 65 with room to spare :D down my favorite backroad, my entry speed was up by 5 mph in all of them, some i could have even put more through. like everybody says, the car corners flatter and faster, steering responds quicker, and i can now get the car sideways easily when before it had was a taxing process for a little sideways action, now its easy to get gratuitous slideways action :D

i love you nevin.

Umm, I love you...too? hahah

But really, I'm glad you like it!

And Mike, consider the black bar yours!

ANd Bill has spoken for the blemished bar, so that leaves us at only 3 left!

Better get while the gettin's good!

Wikedjuggalo
06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Nevin,

I had the chance to take it on the Dragon run today and gotta say I am very happy with how it preformed. I took a few people for a ride and they were really amazed at how it handled the 180 degree turns.

Nevin
06-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Nevin,

I had the chance to take it on the Dragon run today and gotta say I am very happy with how it preformed. I took a few people for a ride and they were really amazed at how it handled the 180 degree turns.

Sweet! I'm glad to hear it went well. It really does make the car feel much more nimble and "smaller."

Nevin
06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, today I finally got around to taking off my Pre-Production bar and finally fitting my production bar with the special blue coating. I was actually very surprised in the difference. Mainly, on the PP bar the mounting holes in the bar itself were larger because it could use stock endlinks and when I mounted the correct endlinks I just left them and just put everything as tight as I could. I could see that it had moved some in the oversized holes and that I wasn't getting as good of performance as the rest of you.

So, now that everything is solid like it should be (and like yours ARE) I was actually even more impressed with the results.

Also, something came ot mind as far as bar "maintenance" is concerned.

My bushings were squeaking. Duh nevin, GREASE THEM! Honestly, if you were to grease these things everytime you change your oil, that would be good maintenance. Also, I noticed that the endlinks had a tiny bit of squeak to them. I took them apart and 3 of the 4 "eyes" were nice and free, but one was a bit tight feeling. So I hit them all with some PB Blaster and they all freed right up.

So, it wouldn't hurt to give your endlinks a bit of penetrating oil once in a while either. Every few oil changes (maybe 2 times a year) would probably be fine. I purposely hadn't touched mine since I mounted it (over a year ago) to see if I could get something to go wrong, and really the only issue was a bit of surface rust on the endlink mounting bolts. They came right apart though and I put some anti-seeze on them when I put them back together.

So, that's the other thing I would add. Anti-seeze the bolts if you plan on taking it off again soon. Like I said, mine honestly came apart just fine, but it was just not a step that even crossed my mind before.

Just thought I'd let you all know!

Hocrest
06-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Nevin,

I got a ride it Nate's car at the Dragon. Before Friday I thought that this would be a waste of money for me. After the first hard turn that Nate took it around I now plan on getting one...

A very significant difference, on an otherwise stock suspension SVX.

Nevin
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I got a ride it Nate's car at the Dragon. Before Friday I thought that this would be a waste of money for me. After the first hard turn that Nate took it around I now plan on getting one...

A very significant difference, on an otherwise stock suspension SVX.

Well thank you very much for the compliment. Driving is certainly believing!

I would go so far as to say this is the best bang for the buck suspension mod currently available for the SVX. While it's not the cheapest (i.e. 15/15 mod) it certainly makes a very noticeable change for the better on any suspension setup.

huck369
06-29-2010, 05:12 AM
I too rode in Nate's car (and even got to drive it) and I was very impressed with how much flatter the car stayed in the corners.....I wasn't even thinking about getting an upgraded sway bar....but now I am...I'm thinking it would really help the push I have in my RWD 5-speed...

huck369
06-29-2010, 05:15 AM
As a matter of fact....put me down for one.
I'd have preferred black....(or Yellow :) )

Wikedjuggalo
06-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Do I get commission? :lol::lol:

I kid

LetItSnow
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
The opportunity to grab one of these, given that you're interested in some shade of spirited driving, is quite a gift, all told. After all of the talk of making them over the years, your wish has been granted, and between the rules of physics and the consensus in testimonials of their owners, you're assured that this bar will give your car some new moves.

Low tech, easy install, clearly not vaporware, and a complete package. It's a no-brainer.

Nevin
06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Huck, I imagine I'll be doing another batch of bars in another month or six weeks. If you really want, I can make a black (or yellow, or any color) bar for you then. Or, if you can't wait, I have blue ones ready to go out.

And LetitSnow, thanks. hahaha You guys practically sell these things for me!

I can assure you that if someone else made one of these and I had the chance to buy one, it would be at the top of my list. I realize that's a bit one-sided coming from the guy that sells them, but it really makes the car handle much, much better.

Freeman
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Damn it, damn it, damn it! Why do I somehow repel money? Its like my mother sprayed me with some kind of money repelent at birth.

I told my gf id have one of these this month.. looks like I've got some time to wait now that we've had some (more) money issues.

huck369
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Huck, I imagine I'll be doing another batch of bars in another month or six weeks. If you really want, I can make a black (or yellow, or any color) bar for you then. Or, if you can't wait, I have blue ones ready to go out.

Nevin,
I can wait....and either Black or Yellow would be good....surprise me :)
Just PM me when you have the next batch ready to go and I'll Paypal you the fundage.

svxcess
06-29-2010, 04:09 PM

Nevin,
I can wait....and either black or yellow would be good....surprise me :)

Black is very generic and understated. If it gets painted yellow, make sure it isn't some sort of lame, washed out, lemony color...

It needs to be the intense in-your-face HUCK YELLOW!!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14324&stc=1&d=1277849233

Nevin
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Huck, I'll let you know when I'm ready to make some more and you just let me know what you're thinking. We'll be in touch.

And Freeman, like I told you... You can't have one anyway. You made fun of probes. :)

Freeman
06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Damn. Maybe my distaste for probes comes from the fact that when I first got my SVX, my neighbor called it a Probe no matter how many times I corrected him.

Lookin4SVX
06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
My best friend constantly tells me how it reminds him of his probe...
He misses his probe, it had its front end sat on by a land rover.

Nevin
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Owning both cars, I can easily see why people think they're related. The SVX feels like the probe's older brother kind of. hahah

I actually test drove my SVX when I was first looking for cars and it was between it and the probe. I wanted the SVX, but it was a couple thousand more and I was a poor high schooler. It was gone at the dealer the next day anyway, so I got the probe instead. GREAT first car. It is now also my project car, I don't ever plan on getting rid of it. OR the SVX for that matter. :)

Lookin4SVX
07-03-2010, 11:34 AM
My Swaybar made it though UPS shipping! It looks like they only tried to fold it in half twice.
But that pesky metal bar of yours foiled their plan!

Pics, because I like pics.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4757497491_490622bf7f_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4757497493_8e5b732b70_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4757497497_ab70a1eb75_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4757497505_b3e92424af_b.jpg

Quick question, on the how to install thread:
"4. Attach the top of the endlinks to the bar. Here's a shot of what it'll look like when you get it on there."
The link to the pic is broken, there is no picture. Do you have this pic or can fix the link?

Thanks again Nevin, I can't wait to get this installed.

Nevin
07-03-2010, 12:17 PM
The picture in #4 is basically like the picture in #3. Just attached the endlink to the bar. There is a close-up in #5 also. Just instead of their being the hub, that's where the swaybar itself is.

But thank you for pointing out that I have a dead picture. I'll get it fixed as soon as I can.

And everyone, I still have 3 bars left!

Bill, I'm still holding the blemished one for you.

Lookin4SVX
07-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the explanation Nevin.
So the order will be the same as on the hub, got it.

He has 3 left, BUY THEM!

How many bars have been made in total?

Lookin4SVX
07-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Just to triple check.. This is what I need to do?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4760467019_6587552844_b.jpg

Nevin
07-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Yep, exactly right.

And sorry to keep you waiting, my apologies!

Blacky
07-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Just did my first test drive. Nice, very nice!

Lookin4SVX
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Just in case anyone else cares:

Passenger Side Top (Bar End):
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4761948957_a4e722b9e5_b.jpg

(This was taken before tightening it down, it is easier to make out the parts.)

Lookin4SVX
07-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I installed my new BontragerWorks 22mm rear sway bar kit today.
It was the 4th of July today, so due to holiday traffic, police, and the amount of beer consumed, I couldn't get a chance to test it out until now (midnight).

Nevin, your bar really helped tighten up my car.

It feels much more stable and sure of it self in corners now.

Now it drives like a Subaru, aka a 3000lbs go-kart!
Once again I can double those suggested off-ramp speed signs like I could with my RS.

With the original bar, attempting to take my exit ramp at 50mph (double the suggested speed) would be a nasty understeering plowfest into the woods.
Not anymore. 50mph, held it flat, didn't experience any oversteer either. She felt planted and sure of herself for the first time since I owned her.

You have another satisfied customer, Thanks Nevin!

Want to see More Pics of install, and the horrible condition my original bar was in?
Check it out: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54963

Nevin
07-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Very glad to hear it, Mike. And thanks for the extra pictures!

I asked Mike this in his new thread, but I'm curious how hard you would all rate the install on a scale of 1 to 10? 1 being easy, 10 being hard. Just to give future customers a good idea. I would say it's pretty easy, but that's just me.

STILL HAVE 3 LEFT FOLKS! Get on them now while they're still hot. If there's no interest for a while, it could be some time 'til I make more again...

When I go up to the powdercoater next I may just have to take one of these back up and get it made yellow for huck!

Lookin4SVX
07-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Well I say very easy, and I am not mechanically inclined.
On a scale of 1-10 where 1 = installing a new battery, then I give this a 3?.

Installing a set of used hood struts was 6 bolts, this was 8 bolts.
Same hand tools, just a set of metric combination wrenches and sockets.
There was nothing crazy to it, nothing else needs to be removed to get to it. Nothing is in the way of it.
So I say its just slightly harder than doing hood struts, due to the rust and the angle of attack.
Being slid under the car might not be the most comfortable spot, but certainly was more comfortable than being upside down under the drivers dash installing a chipped ECU.

The only trouble we ran into was that we shattered my crappy "husky" brand socket on the second factory endlink bolt we tried to remove.
I put on an older better socket I found in the old tool box, went to take off the bolt, and the husky ratchet broke.
Lesson learned, cheap tools are cheap for a reason...
So we decided to forget about the sockets and proceeded the rest of the way using just my ratcheting combination wrench set I had just bought a few days ago to do an ECU&TCU swap. They broke free the bolts, which we found much more helpful than the bolts breaking the tools.

By far the hardest part of installing Nevin's bar was the uninstall of the original bar!

Once the old bar was out of the way, we had it bolted on loosely fit in less than 20mins. Spent another 15mins making it all even, which wasn't much, I think it was 3 or 4 threads on the endlinks to even everything up.
Doing the writeup (well, picture book) took me more time than installing the sway bar.

I would say the only hard place to get to was the the bolt going through the hub on the wheel side. My 18" wheels gave me the clearance to get my wrench in their, but barely. My 14mm is 6.5in long and it was a tight fit to get in there. With the stock wheels my you may need a shorter wrenches, I know we were wishing we had one, purely for comfort sake

Tools used to Install:
Two - 14mm combination wrenches (I don't own two 14mm's, so I found an old 9/16 in the old toolbox.)
One - 15mm box wrench.

All the bolts I received from Nevin were 14mm.
Endlink takes a 15mm box wrench.

To uninstall the original bar you will need a 12mm. That is what the broken socket is. I think that was the only other size I used.

Lookin4SVX
07-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I was bored and wondered what it would cost to put together an original factory rear sway bar kit at subaruparts.com.

I was shocked when I saw the total:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4763619903_3c860a40f0_b.jpg

Nevin, your bar is totally worth the $50 difference.

I don't understand how you have any bars left.

Does everyone on the forum already have one or something?

How many of your bars have been sold in total???

Lookin4SVX
07-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Nevin you should feel free to link to and use any of my pics that you find helpful.

Nevin
07-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Mike, so far I have sold, traded, or given away 35 in total, including the prototype bar, the bar that I gave Tom, and the bar currently on my car. In total about 40 have been made, and thus I still have 5 remaining (including the blemished bar. Also of note is that only the first two runs were stamped with serial numbers. I think the last one stamped would have been #022, but I honestly forget. The first one stamped is on immortal_suby's car, and is stamped #003. Either way, those stamped ones will be rare.

I was hoping too that they'd sell a bit better than they have, but it's really not public information as such. Pretty much you have to be on the forum or know someone who already has one to find out about them. But, word of mouth is the best advertiser and I know that people who are satisfied with the product will say good things about it to their friends. That's really how I prefer to do business. Much more personal when they can tell you they use it themselves and recommend it to others.

I was kinda hoping that I'd be able to post that I have ten for sale and they'd be gone in a week but I know things don't always work like you plan. However, if you have a product that people want and it is good quality, they will come to you to get it. It just so happens that I also have a monopoly on this particular item, so that bids well for me. But yes, I do realize it is a low-volume project and I would guess I'll maybe sell 100 of them over the life of it? Probably not even that.

I just need to get people like Earl to start buying them. Then I could sell like 15 at once! hahaha

Cam
07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I just need to get people like Earl to start buying them. Then I could sell like 15 at once! hahaha

Actually, if earl fitted all of his, it would be 19 ;)
(maybe if you offered a buy 18, get 1 free :D)

Nevin
07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Actually, if earl fitted all of his, it would be 19 ;)
(maybe if you offered a buy 18, get 1 free :D)

If he offered to buy 18, I would definitely throw in the 19th one for free. hahaha

1986nate
07-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I was bored and wondered what it would cost to put together an original factory rear sway bar kit at subaruparts.com.

I was shocked when I saw the total:

Nevin, your bar is totally worth the $50 difference.

I don't understand how you have any bars left.

Does everyone on the forum already have one or something?

How many of your bars have been sold in total???

In all honesty, I figured it would be more for that stuff from Subaru...

I would get one if I could get one of these cars sold, maybe even a couple or a few:o:rolleyes:

ensteele
07-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I think members need to hear back from satisfied customers so they know how easy they are to install and how they work. I have been very busy and have not kept up with this product as much as I should. I am interested in them, but I don't need 18. :lol: I will start to check them and see just how many I may need though.

I don't remember how much they are with shipping. Please let me know. Are you going to make another run after you run out? What are your plans? Thanks for answering these questions for me. :)

Nevin
07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Earl, glad to hear from you.

The price per unit is $260 shipped anywhere in the lower 48 states. Of course, cost goes down a bit if you order more than one.

I plan on making them as long as demand continues. I think the next time around I'll only do 10 again instead of 15, as this run wasn't spoken for as quickly. I'd rather have a bit less overheard cost involved and be able to sell them quicker than be "into" them for more and have to wait longer to sell.

Plus if people don't get one right away, they only have to wait a few months to get one. Not the fastest turnaround, but not bad for an order as small as this.

And if you need to get opinions of customers and their impressions, simply read through this thread or the "who wants an aftermarket rear sway bar" thread in the mod mania forum.

I think so far everyone has been pleasantly surprised. That is, it is even more effective than they had thought it might be. :)

ensteele
07-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, it sounds like buyers are surprised on the performance. I am convinced, but was just meaning that at the start members might need to find out if it was a good mod or not. I will get in touch in the near future. :)

Nevin
07-05-2010, 08:03 PM
No problem Earl. Just let me know whenever you're interested. And if they sell before you let me know, I'll probably be doing another run in a month or so.

And yes I know exactly what you mean about waiting to see what people think of them. No offense taken at all.

Nevin
07-11-2010, 10:05 PM
OK, sold one more today.

Just to let you all know, only 2 remain!! Hurry before they're gone.

I may not make any more!!

I kid.

Stevebsy
07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
You can put me down as a believer too. Mine isn't installed yet, but I test rode with Nate at the Dragon and it was..well it just made the car handle like it should. Even on a stock suspension it is a huge improvement.

Maybe I'll get mine installed this weekend if it isn't 95+ outside...

Nevin
07-14-2010, 10:03 PM
You can put me down as a believer too. Mine isn't installed yet, but I test rode with Nate at the Dragon and it was..well it just made the car handle like it should. Even on a stock suspension it is a huge improvement.

Maybe I'll get mine installed this weekend if it isn't 95+ outside...

I hear you there, Steve.

It was like 110 heat index today and I was of course out changing semi tires on the interstate.

I think I sweat more today than I ever have in my entire life. I drank about 2 gallons of water, and 4 or 5 32 oz. gatorades.

At any rate, I shipped a bar out tonight to Andrew P. so like I said, ONLY TWO BARS LEFT!!! GET YOURS NOW!!!

Andrew P.
07-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Installed mine today (Sunday).
It looks great and after a little test run, the first word that comes to mind is WOW!
The car corners pretty flat at high (65-70) speed. And it doesn't show it's weight quite as much with body roll.
Nevin, you are a genius.

Nevin
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Installed mine today (Sunday).
It looks great and after a little test run, the first word that comes to mind is WOW!
The car corners pretty flat at high (65-70) speed. And it doesn't show it's weight quite as much with body roll.
Nevin, you are a genius.

Andrew! I'm glad it went well for you, and that you like the bar.

Drive safely!

And to everyone else, I still have 2 left!! I won't be making another batch until these are gone, so if you want one, get off the fence already and put one of these on your car!!

Geoff
08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Just purchased one...will be nice to see how it feels on the car in a month :)

Nevin
10-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Ok everyone, I just got done packing up the last two I have today. They are bound for SVXfiles, and the pumpkin carve next weekend. So, if you're out that way, and you want to see one, that'll be a good place to get your hands on one, and possible drive a car equipped with one.

Two will be there. The slightly chipped bar, and a normal bar.

Slightly chipped price $230
Regular bar price $250 (save on shipping since they're going together)

If you all keep interested, I have no problem making more. Like I've said before though, I will probably cut the batches back down to 10 at a time, just so I don't have them laying around for so long.

I hope everyone is enjoying them so far! As always, if you have any questions regarding your bar, give me an email at nevinbontrager@gmail.com.

God Bless, and happy motoring!

Nevin
10-24-2010, 12:28 AM
HEY EVERYBODY!!!

Ok, now that I got your attention, I'm just curious if there is adequate interest in making another run of swaybars. I'm thinking we'd do 10 this time.

I'm in no hurry, but I know that a few of you are (were) at the pumpkin carve this weekend, and hopefully got to see and or drive a car equipped with one of these beasts. I would hope that this at least aroused a little bit of interest in the bars, and since I shipped my last 2 to OT, I would need to be making another run of these if anyone else still wants one.

If I don't hear anything, I can wait. But if I do get interest, I'll get the ball rolling as soon as I can, and we'll start in on another round and I will open another bulk buy thread..

So far interest has been very good, I've been shipping these things all over the place, and they have been receiving VERY good reviews. Thank you all of you who have left feedback and reviews for others to read, I appreciate your sharing very much.

And I want to thank ALL of you who have either purchased, given advice, or helped me along the way. Without your interest and support, these never would have happened. Thank you very, very much.

That said... who wants to make their svx handle better?!

Geoff
10-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Nevin, I will in all likelihood need another one.

svxfiles
10-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I just installed the bar on Christine.
It took me 45 minutes for the swap, moving very slowly.:o
We had popped some corks over the last couple of days...
So far Hocrest, Mellis, Mike621, and 1986 Nate have driven her, and they ALL liked the improvement!
Christine has the stock suspension with only the 15 Minute Mod, and the poly front bushings, stock wheels and tires.
I will drive her after a much neaded nap.:)

Nevin
10-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes Tom, I'm sure you've had one heck of a weekend! haha Get some sleep!

Cam
10-24-2010, 03:08 PM
This is me showing interest...:p

I will likely be getting one soon...just need to finish my engine first. Can't justify buying anything for a car that doesn't move.

Hocrest
10-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I rode in Nate's SB car at the Dragon, but got to drive Christine after Tom installed it. Once again I am impressed. Definitely an improvement over stock.

SomethingElse
10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I just installedthe bar on Christine.
It took me 45 minutes for the swap, moving very slowly.:o
We had popped some corks over the last couple of days...
So far Hocrest, Mellis, Mike621, and 1986 Nate have driven her, and they ALL liked the improvement!
Christine has the stock suspension with only the 15 Minute Mod, and the poly front bushings, stock wheels and tires.
I will drive her after a much neaded nap.:)

didnt you take a nap yesterday at the table? or was that today? or friday? is it still tuesday? Im CONFUSED :confused:

92 SVX
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Any more of these bars? Plans for making more?

Nevin
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes, there are plans. I'm working on buying a car long distance this week, so that's taking up a good chunk of my freetime, but possibly next week I'll start another buy.

So yes, another buy is coming up! The price will be the same I'm sure, so start saving your pennies, sheckles, lira, pounds, whatever!

*edit*

I just noticed that this was my 1,111th post, and it's on page 11! Now only if I'd posted this yesterday...

North Ursalia
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I do believe I would be interested as well :)

zagato
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I want one as well...:)

bob_the_cook
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
*subscribed*

I do not yet know when my inherited SVX will come to me, but when it does I want to be in the loop for this. :)

Will
01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm still on board for one of these too nevin.

Nevin
01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Well, this is going to be in the works soon, but I'm trying to find an endlink better suited to what we're doing here.

I have found a couple of OEM style links that I think will work, but in the buy there will be an option of race or street links. Metal on metal (the links currently used) work AWESOME but they make plenty of noise, and if you're not expecting it, it can be annoying. So, I want to have a good solution before I do the next buy. I should know by early next week as to what I'll be using.

What do you guys think of that?

Blacky
01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
I'll probably want another bar for my '97 I just got.
The noise you speak of, is it a rattling sound when going over small bumps. It started a little while after installing the bar on my '92 Ebony.

North Ursalia
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Metal on metal (the links currently used) work AWESOME but they make plenty of noise, and if you're not expecting it, it can be annoying.

How about just a stiff rubber washer (akin to what you put into a garden hose) between the conical metal bushing and the bar or something similar? The garden hose washers are like 10 for $1 :lol:.

Will
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Less noisy sounds great. Please keep us informed.

Tim
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Well, this is going to be in the works soon, but I'm trying to find an endlink better suited to what we're doing here.

I have found a couple of OEM style links that I think will work, but in the buy there will be an option of race or street links. Metal on metal (the links currently used) work AWESOME but they make plenty of noise, and if you're not expecting it, it can be annoying. So, I want to have a good solution before I do the next buy. I should know by early next week as to what I'll be using.

What do you guys think of that?

What kind of noises are to be expected? I noticed more of a knocking or clacking sound, but was thinking it was a loose strut mount when going over bumps. Would the end links make a sound similar to this?

svxfiles
01-19-2011, 06:17 PM
What kind of noises are to be expected? I noticed more of a knocking or clacking sound, but was thinking it was a loose strut mount when going over bumps. Would the end links make a sound similar to this?

In the worst case it sounds like your shock tops have been left loose, on others it is a slight barely noticable ticking, over road imperfections.

immortal_suby
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
and here I thought my shock tops were loose!
I don't mind the noise a bit. I've been ignoring all of my other squeaks and rattles for a long time now. It is nice to know it is normal and my shock tops aren't falling apart.

Will
01-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Immortal, we have to meet up some time so I can check out your ebony. You have all the mods that I am interested in getting in the near future. Plus have you ever seen another svx here in G'vegas?

Blacky
01-19-2011, 10:03 PM
In the worst case it sounds like your shock tops have been left loose, on others it is a slight barely noticable ticking, over road imperfections.

That's exactly what I'm hearing. I did my rear struts at about the same time and I thought the mounts had somehow come loose. I wish I'd known about this noise issue sooner, it's been really bugging me.
Definately a big downside to this mod. I think I'll leave the '97 stock until it's resolved.

icingdeath88
01-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I had that same noise also. It got a bit better when I changed out the joints on the endlink on the side that was a lot more noisy. Sounds like I would imagine a slightly bad strut top mount would sound I guess.

waynes
01-20-2011, 05:56 AM
I'd be interested in new end links if they are less noisey than the ones that came with the bar. Thanks Nevin.

LetItSnow
01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
I didn't notice any new noises? Could it have to do with GCs and bushing replacements?

svxfiles
01-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I didn't notice any new noises? Could it have to do with GCs and bushing replacements?

Not all cars get the noise.
It has nothing to do with the bar or the bar mounts.
Some of the end links develope some slight play wich may or may not transfer into the car.
I am sure a different end link will still deliver the handeling improvement without the noise.

Tim
01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Not all cars get the noise.
It has nothing to do with the bar or the bar mounts.
Some of the end links develope some slight play wich may or may not transfer into the car.
I am sure a different end link will still deliver the handeling improvement without the noise.

The tradeoff is is worth it. I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up and I can pull things apart and retighten.

immortal_suby
01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I have no intention of ever removing this bar from my car. Unless there comes along a 24mm bar!

immortal_suby
01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Immortal, we have to meet up some time so I can check out your ebony. You have all the mods that I am interested in getting in the near future. Plus have you ever seen another svx here in G'vegas?

We'll run into one another sooner or later. There are a few other svx's in greenville. I see them from time to time. Met another owner on the street a few weeks ago and we had a nice chat at a gas station. Showed him how to drill for a spoiler he had bought on ebay. Still waiting to see if he shows up here.

bwb3
01-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Is there some rule of thumb on how tight you make the end links? I went by the photo and left about a 1/2" of thread showing. I only get noise on hard bumps.
Gene

icingdeath88
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Are you talking about the length of the endlink or the bolts that attach it to the knuckle and bar? Regardless, neither will have any effect on the noise we're talking about. The play is in the actual joint of the endlink and cannot be tightened away.

bwb3
01-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I was referring to the length of the endlink. See post #75. It looks like you tighten the length down all the way. I didn't.
Gene

icingdeath88
01-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't make a difference with the noise, but the two sides should be about the same unless you want the bar pre-loaded to one side. As long as they aren't going to contact anything else, then it doesn't matter beyond that.

LunarShred
01-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Are these still available? I would love to get a kit for mine

Will
02-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I am to believe that Nevin, the mad scientist, is in the laboratory seeking a solution to the current endlink issue, yet fighting the urge to not hasten his genius!

svxfiles
02-02-2011, 01:24 AM
I am to believe that Nevin, the mad scientist, is in the laboratory seeking a solution to the current endlink issue, yet fighting the urge to not hasten his genius!

Dexter, What does THIS button do?!:eek:

Will
02-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Dexter, What does THIS button do?!:eek:
Perhaps I have seen one or two episodes too many. Umm...I mean... You know.... With the kidos of course.

svxfiles
02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Perhaps I have seen one or two episodes too many. Umm...I mean... You know.... With the kidos of course.

DeeDeeDon't touch that button, you have no idea what it

does.....

Geoff
02-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Nevin - Any fixes for the end link ratta-tattle yet? :)

Nevin
02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, I do believe we've come up with something.

OT clued me in on a set of endlinks that he found. I ordered a set just this morning for myself to see, but he claims he got them to work just fine.

As soon as I get them in the car and double check everything, I think we'll be a go. I just want to make sure they'll work fine for myself first.

Sorry to leave everyone hanging. I know you're all being very patient with me and I appreciate it. I just bought a car in los angeles on friday night after flying there then drove it back this weekend. So, it's been a long weekend (1920 miles worth in 2 days) and I'm just playing catch-up now.

We'll get this on the move soon though!

icingdeath88
02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Yes, I do believe we've come up with something.

OT clued me in on a set of endlinks that he found. I ordered a set just this morning for myself to see, but he claims he got them to work just fine.

As soon as I get them in the car and double check everything, I think we'll be a go. I just want to make sure they'll work fine for myself first.

Sorry to leave everyone hanging. I know you're all being very patient with me and I appreciate it. I just bought a car in los angeles on friday night after flying there then drove it back this weekend. So, it's been a long weekend (1920 miles worth in 2 days) and I'm just playing catch-up now.

We'll get this on the move soon though!

Cool, glad to hear this is starting back up. What kind of car did you get that was worth driving all the way from LA for?

Nevin
02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Cool, glad to hear this is starting back up. What kind of car did you get that was worth driving all the way from LA for?

Well, what else would be worth it, but another SUBARU!!!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/wrxroadtrip053.jpg

And no, the svx isn't going anywhere. I'm getting rid of my daily driver, the mazda mx6. 'Twas a good car, but it'd seen better days.

It's an '02 5-sp with 229k miles. :) No reason to be afraid of high miles on a soo-bah-roo, right?

North Ursalia
02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, I forsee a new turbo in your immediate future if the stock one is still somehow miraculously still there and working :). Other than that, you should be pretty good.

Nevin
02-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, I forsee a new turbo in your immediate future if the stock one is still somehow miraculously still there and working :). Other than that, you should be pretty good.

Yep, he sold me one with the car. I'll probably have it ported, rebuilt, and have the compressor housing ceramic coated before I put it in. Also got an HKS carbon Ti turboback exhaust for the thing to do at the same time, and I'll probably go ahead and do the uppipe too. Getting rid of heat is the name of the game.

Within the last 5k miles its had a clutch, timing belt, ball joints, brakes, and some other minor work done, so I'm really not afraid of it.

p.s. that was the factory clutch, and it lasted 223k miles. :)

LunarShred
02-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow hardcore driving man. Please let me know if they work out better than the previous ones. I'll try and check back on here periodically. I'm doing a whole suspension overhaul on mine and I'd love for the sway bar to be icing on the cake.

Later

Geoff
02-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I just want less clunky-clunk. I've had people ask me what's in my trunk numerous times. LOL

icingdeath88
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Yea I'm in for just a set of the endlinks. I have plenty of rattles and noises as it is lol

svxcess
02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Yea I'm in for just a set of the endlinks. I have plenty of rattles and noises as it is lol

I don't understand this at all. Tom at AWD installed the swaybar and heim endlinks at his shop. About a week later I noticed an ever so slight rubbing-type squeak occasionally.

While the car was on the ground, I slightly loosened both the top and bottom mounting bolts, sprayed them with Tri-flow lubricant, and re-tightened them. Noise gone.

To this day no squeaks, rattles or knocking at all. Quiet as a well-fed cat.

svxfiles
02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't understand this at all. Tom at AWD installed the swaybar and heim endlinks at his shop. About a week later I noticed an ever so slight rubbing-type squeak occasionally.

While the car was on the ground, I slightly loosened both the top and bottom mounting bolts, sprayed them with Tri-flow lubricant, and re-tightened them. Noise gone.

Just like womenz, John!:eek:
:p
The bar is perfectly made, some of the links develope play.
On a loud race car you would want the strongest links that you could get.
The replacement links came to me today, but the lift is currently tied up with a trans swap and repair.
As soon as the lift is free I will install the bar on my New Pearlie and I believe it will be fine.

On the other hand John, since you are as old as dirt you just might not hear a rattle.:lol::lol:

svxcess
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
On the other hand John, since you are as old as dirt you just might not hear a rattle.:lol::lol:

Don't single me out. We have Ron, Harry, Keith and Trevor also in this club.

Making it to this point after being born in the first half of the last century deserves a little respect. :eek:

svxfiles
02-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Don't single me out. We have Ron, Harry, Keith and Trevor also in this club. I remember when we INVENTED the club!

Making it to this point after being born in the first half of the last century deserves a little respect. :

Don't worry John, I have the greatest respect for Ron, Harry, Keith and Trevor!:D

TEE,HEE,HEE, snort!

icingdeath88
02-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Yea I wouldn't describe it as a squeak, it's definitely more of a rattle.

svxfiles
02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Just like womenz, John!:eek:
:p
The bar is perfectly made, some of the links develope play.
On a loud race car you would want the strongest links that you could get.
The replacement links came to me today, but the lift is currently tied up with a trans swap and repair.As soon as the lift is free I will install the bar on my New Pearlie and I believe it will be fine.

OK, yesterday afternoon I took my non-Moog generic end links and installed them on my Pearlie.
I did not like the way that they fit and made up some spacers to jack the anti-sway bar forward 1/4".
If the end links were 1/8" shorter I would not have had to do this.
Drove the car, Rebecca drove the car, totally quiet except for the exhaust system.:rolleyes:
Now I pulled it onto the flat floor of the garage to check the clearance, and while on the ground there is tons of room.
I was concerned that the top end link was VERY close to the rear calliper brake line bolt,when the car is up in the air on a lift!.
The good news is that as the suspension compresses the gap increases.

However since some of you get airborn:eek:
shorter bars yet might help.:rolleyes:

Geoff
02-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Nevin - Any updates? :) The roads around here suck...and I can barely hear my failing wheel bearing over the rattling of your RSB end links. :lol:

alia176
02-26-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm late to the game and I see some rattling/tapping sound due to the clearance issues of the end link.

I bought the same bar sans the end links, primarily due to the dirt road driving that I do on a daily basis. I didn't think the heim joints would last very long in this environment so I stayed with the OEM links. In my past experience in the offroading/rock crawling world, heim or johny joints don't appreciate dirt w/o a constant cleaning and lubricating regiment. This car being so low, I wasn't going to do that particular task :rolleyes:

One side effect of sticking with the oem links and this massive bar is that the weld on the oem link failed on the driver side. I'm talking about the end that's on top where the round end link is welded to the U shape bent metal (to capture the sway bar end). Obviously, the 22mm sway bar is putting much force in this area than the oem sway bar. :D

At this time, it was a question of making up a new end link or simply welding and fortifying this area. I took the easy way out and did the latter. Maybe this summer when I have more motivation, I may look into making up a set of new links or see what Nevin comes up with version 2.0.

Anyway, just a data point for y'all. I'm enjoying the hell out of this sway bar and somewhat better handling of the vehicle. Once I replace the strut mounts, I'll have a nice rattle free suspension again!

Have a good day.

Nevin
03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Alright everyone, I haven't meant to make everyone wait like I have been, and I apologize for doing so.

That said, i have good news.

Geoff has been kind enough to try out a set of endlinks recommended to me by OT, and so far we have been happy with the results. It's an OEM style link from another car, but it seems it should do the work just fine.

Those of you who currently have bars can change yours over very easily, and those interested in buying new bars will have either option available for ordering.

Concerning new bars, the metal is at the metal shop and they've begun the work they need to do. I just called the owner yesterday and asked if I could have them by the end of the week next week and he said "no problem."

So, I should have the bars in my posession as early as next weekend so I can begin my stage of working on them. Once I'm a bit closer I'll post more information regarding the next group buy.

Thanks again everyone!

92 SVX
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Alright everyone, I haven't meant to make everyone wait like I have been, and I apologize for doing so.

That said, i have good news.

Geoff has been kind enough to try out a set of endlinks recommended to me by OT, and so far we have been happy with the results. It's an OEM style link from another car, but it seems it should do the work just fine.

Those of you who currently have bars can change yours over very easily, and those interested in buying new bars will have either option available for ordering.

Concerning new bars, the metal is at the metal shop and they've begun the work they need to do. I just called the owner yesterday and asked if I could have them by the end of the week next week and he said "no problem."

So, I should have the bars in my posession as early as next weekend so I can begin my stage of working on them. Once I'm a bit closer I'll post more information regarding the next group buy.

Thanks again everyone!

Could you post a few pictures of the new style and the old your using for comparison.

Nevin
03-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Could you post a few pictures of the new style and the old your using for comparison.

Yes, when I get my hands on another set. I bought them from a local parts store, and they were kinda pricey, so I'll wait to get some pictures when I find them in bulk at a better rate. There will for sure be a comparison picture though when the new bulk buy is started.

Geoff
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Here's a pic of the new. :) Nevermind the not sitting REALLY close to the brake banjo bolt. The car was on a lift, and even on a lift it cleared with about 3-4mm. It will never get this close in daily driving.

92 SVX
03-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Here's a pic of the new. :) Nevermind the not sitting REALLY close to the brake banjo bolt. The car was on a lift, and even on a lift it cleared with about 3-4mm. It will never get this close in daily driving.

Thank you I appreciate the pic and I looked at nevins install thread for a comparison, I think I would like the original style, I can live with some squeaks and rattles the car is 20 years old I doubt I can get rid of enough other noises to even hear that. lol

I like the beefier none stock looking adjustable end link and the way I drive it may be more useful.

sunvalleyray
03-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes, when I get my hands on another set. I bought them from a local parts store, and they were kinda pricey, so I'll wait to get some pictures when I find them in bulk at a better rate. There will for sure be a comparison picture though when the new bulk buy is started.

Price?

Ray

Geoff
03-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you I appreciate the pic and I looked at nevins install thread for a comparison, I think I would like the original style, I can live with some squeaks and rattles the car is 20 years old I doubt I can get rid of enough other noises to even hear that. lol

I like the beefier none stock looking adjustable end link and the way I drive it may be more useful.

Depending on the install, it's not squeaks or rattles. On my car, it was loud knocks that sounded like the strut mounts are going out over almost every little bump in the road.

Performance wise, you gain little to nothing from the older end links...I've put the car through its paces on its 245/45ZR17s.

But that being said, your call. :)

wawazat??
04-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi Nevin,
I hopw these are available again as I plan on doing some autocross this season afer taking some time off for the last three years.

Todd

Gloomy
04-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm also down for one of those!

I will wait for some more info regarding the new links. Will the kit be the same price?

Nevin
04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Todd, sorry to take so long to reply to you. the last couple of weeks have been very hectic for me.

Yes, I do plan on making more bars soon, very soon actually.

I actually have ten more in my posession as we speak. I haven't worked my magic on them yet, but the metal shop is done with them. Hopefully I can get to them this week still, and if not, then defintely next week. And that means they'd probably be available for sale in about 3 weeks to a month.

One has already been paid for, so I will only have 9 for sale, but I imagine the price will still be the same. I haven't finalized the price difference between the two styles of endlinks yet, but I am still looking for a good place to buy the OEM style link (what I'll call the "street" link) in bulk and save a bit.

So, if you're interested in one of these badboys, start saving your money. I'll have them in this portion of the forum again, and the terms will be the same. So if you want to familiarize yourself with how it works, just go back to the first post of this thread and re-read it.

Sorry to keep you all waiting, but yes I have bars in the works, and no I haven't forgotten about you all!

happy motoring!

nevin

p.s. I am currently withOUT a computer, so if I don't answer messages right away, please give me some time. I WILL get back to you, so don't worry.

92 SVX
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Sounds good, Hope to see these soon.

Obewon
04-29-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm also very interested in obtaining one from this new batch of sway bars.

How much will it be to ship to Vancouver, B.C. ?

RoarinSVX
05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Definitely interested in getting one of these. Wouldn't mind paying half up front to reserve one. Do let me know when it is time. I am not on the forum much these days so a PM will be great.:)

93tzlegacy
05-08-2011, 05:19 AM
any chance of sending 1 or 2 to australia?

92 SVX
05-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Todd, sorry to take so long to reply to you. the last couple of weeks have been very hectic for me.

Yes, I do plan on making more bars soon, very soon actually.

I actually have ten more in my posession as we speak. I haven't worked my magic on them yet, but the metal shop is done with them. Hopefully I can get to them this week still, and if not, then defintely next week. And that means they'd probably be available for sale in about 3 weeks to a month.

One has already been paid for, so I will only have 9 for sale, but I imagine the price will still be the same. I haven't finalized the price difference between the two styles of endlinks yet, but I am still looking for a good place to buy the OEM style link (what I'll call the "street" link) in bulk and save a bit.

So, if you're interested in one of these badboys, start saving your money. I'll have them in this portion of the forum again, and the terms will be the same. So if you want to familiarize yourself with how it works, just go back to the first post of this thread and re-read it.

Sorry to keep you all waiting, but yes I have bars in the works, and no I haven't forgotten about you all!

happy motoring!

nevin

p.s. I am currently withOUT a computer, so if I don't answer messages right away, please give me some time. I WILL get back to you, so don't worry.
Hi, any progress yet?

LunarShred
06-17-2011, 02:59 AM
DEFINITELY want one of these.

NikFu S.
07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Was the noisy end link deal ever addressed? The roads are so bumpy here all I hear is "clunkclank" and I look around to see if any cute girls are looking at me as if I'm driving a lemon. :o

Blacky
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Was the noisy end link deal ever addressed? The roads are so bumpy here all I hear is "clunkclank" and I look around to see if any cute girls are looking at me as if I'm driving a lemon. :o

Same here, It's embarassing. I drive on a lot of dirt roads to get to work and it's driving me insane. I drove with the back seat folded down and it's exponentially worse.
I'm about ready to put the stocker back on just because of the noise.

immortal_suby
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Noise? that's what loud stereos and exhaust are for :P

I do plan on adjusting my links to try for a little more preload to see if it quells the noise a little.

Blacky
07-13-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm also going to try tightening the preload before I give up. Maybe even grease the heck out of them and put on the largest shrink tubing known to man to seal them up.

alia176
07-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Same here, It's embarassing. I drive on a lot of dirt roads to get to work and it's driving me insane. I drove with the back seat folded down and it's exponentially worse.
I'm about ready to put the stocker back on just because of the noise.

If you put the stock end links back on, you may end up experiencing what I did: broken end links. I went through two set of stockers with this sway bar before I pulled the sway bar out. I think the aftermarket sway bar end links for an Infinity sounds like is the way to go. There's a Moog part # floating around here some where.

sicksubie
09-15-2011, 11:11 AM
For what it is worth, my whole set up is working great and I am very pleased with how the overall balance of the car is at this point.

92 SVX
09-16-2011, 02:33 AM
I received mine today, I was not able to even get it out of the box though. but soon, very soon.

92 SVX
09-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I got it on today, All I can say is WOW.

svxfiles
09-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I got it on today, All I can say is WOW.

TMI!!:eek:

92 SVX
09-18-2011, 12:29 PM
LOL you know you like the details

Blacky
09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Anyone have the Moog part# for the aftermarket Infinity endlinks which work? The noise is unbearable but I love the handling.

Lookin4SVX
09-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Anyone have the Moog part# for the aftermarket Infinity endlinks which work? The noise is unbearable but I love the handling.

...please does anyone have the part number?

icingdeath88
09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
^ I would also really like that part #.

92 SVX
09-21-2011, 10:15 AM
just out of curiosity how long from the time you installed the endlinks till the noise started?

icingdeath88
09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Like right away. And then replaced them with another of the same set and it started again after like a couple weeks.

92 SVX
09-21-2011, 04:17 PM
hmm, well I have not had them on long enough then. I get some noise from my fronts though, think it might be time to replace them.

alia176
10-11-2011, 08:13 PM
^ I would also really like that part #.

I have this p/n in my head: MOOG K9828 LINK (http://www.jegs.com/i/Moog/719/K9828/10002/-1?CT=999)

I've been running w/o the rear sway bar until I order a set of these or something that's heavier duty than the OEM end links. It's gotta be ball joint type, not heim link style. One of these days.....

Nevin
10-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Sorry to take forever responding to you folks here. i haven't checked the boards in a while, and for some reason I wasn't getting emails from the network when people replied to the thread! I apologize very much for my truancy!

So, that out of the way...

There IS a possible solution, and it involves using an OEM mazda rear endlink. HOWEVER, just in the last few days, OT ran into some big problems with those and until I can figure out what went wrong, i will not be giving that part number out to anyone. What happened involved an endlink coming into contact with a brake fitting and an immedate loss of brakes.

The benefits of the heim joint link are: incredible strength, good movement capabilities, and ease of installation.

The most obvious effect of one of these is, however, the noise they can create. I've been telling people to keep them lubed and it does help a ton, but I know it's not the most convenient thing to crawl under your car and oil them .

Now, on the most recent bar i sold (which belongs to 92svx) I sent him an experimental set of endlinks. I'm waiting for his review to see if the same noise problem comes up, and if not I'm going to send a few more out to current owners and see if we have a winner. They are still a heimjoint style, but have a tefton skirt on the end to help keep crap out. I would love to try to find one that has grease zerks in the end, but so far I haven't found anything.

However, if that doesn't work I still have a few things left to try. I just want to cross off one thing at a time here.

The bar really does enhance the car's handling in a way that I thought a simple part would not do, but dang if the rattle in the back doesn't get old...

So please, rest assured that I AM trying to find a solution (in between work, life, etc...) and that yes, a new batch of abrs will be available soon. I know I said that earlier this summer, but... WOW I had quite a summer. Now that things have calmed down susbstantially, I can get back to work on these things.

p.s. icingdeath, I still haven't received your old links back. Maybe I didn't communicate clearly, but I did need them back so I could send them to the manufacturer. I have a place make these specifically for this car, so when I told them that yours were acting up, they said they'd like to look at them to see if they can improve the design, and figure out what went wrong. Email me back if you like. nevinbontrager@gmail.com

svxfiles
10-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I have been driving my Pearlie alot lately.
Its my SVX with 236k, 4.44s, LAN, ECU & TCU, stock suspension,
(polys front and rear) and Nevins' rear anti-sway bar.
About three weeks ago I "got to go for a ride"!
GEL and I had to go to a wedding 150 miles away, and used country roads pushed it just a little.
We had enough time to enjoy the kind of quick/moderatly fast running on windy WV/VA roads.:)
Realisticly this was my first fun trip since I installed the bar!:eek::rolleyes:
I work WAY too much!
The SVX does lean less and feels better planted.

As to the brake fluid loss, as far as I know only two people have the replacement links that I am/was using.
I am back to the adjustables for now and looking for a stock length, HD quiet anti-sway bar link.
Still very happy with the bar though!
Nevin, call me.:)

92 SVX
10-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok Nevin I have not heard a single thing from the rear of the car, I do not know if time will make a difference but I know I have not been easy on it. I have not done any out of town long highway cruising but I have done lots of in town stop and go as well as fast corners and one really rough (steep) entrance that I took faster then I wanted. I have done U turns that had the rear swing out, which before this bar I would never have expected from this car.

sunvalleyray
10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Sorry to take forever responding to you folks here. i haven't checked the boards in a while, and for some reason I wasn't getting emails from the network when people replied to the thread! I apologize very much for my truancy!

There IS a possible solution, and it involves using an OEM mazda rear endlink. HOWEVER, just in the last few days, OT ran into some big problems with those and until I can figure out what went wrong, i will not be giving that part number out to anyone. What happened involved an endlink coming into contact with a brake fitting and an immedate loss of brakes.

The benefits of the heim joint link are: incredible strength, good movement capabilities, and ease of installation.

The most obvious effect of one of these is, however, the noise they can create. I've been telling people to keep them lubed and it does help a ton, but I know it's not the most convenient thing to crawl under your car and oil them .

Now, on the most recent bar i sold (which belongs to 92svx) I sent him an experimental set of endlinks. I'm waiting for his review to see if the same noise problem comes up, and if not I'm going to send a few more out to current owners and see if we have a winner. They are still a heimjoint style, but have a tefton skirt on the end to help keep crap out. I would love to try to find one that has grease zerks in the end, but so far I haven't found anything.

However, if that doesn't work I still have a few things left to try. I just want to cross off one thing at a time here.

The bar really does enhance the car's handling in a way that I thought a simple part would not do, but dang if the rattle in the back doesn't get old...

So please, rest assured that I AM trying to find a solution (in between work, life, etc...) and that yes, a new batch of abrs will be available soon. I know I said that earlier this summer, but... WOW I had quite a summer. Now that things have calmed down susbstantially, I can get back to work on these things.

p.s. icingdeath, I still haven't received your old links back. Maybe I didn't communicate clearly, but I did need them back so I could send them to the manufacturer. I have a place make these specifically for this car, so when I told them that yours were acting up, they said they'd like to look at them to see if they can improve the design, and figure out what went wrong. Email me back if you like. nevinbontrager@gmail.com

Nevin,

I replaced your end links with the OEM Mazda links and the noise is gone but I am concerned about this potential brake problem. Please fill me in.

Ray

Nevin
10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Ok Nevin I have not heard a single thing from the rear of the car, I do not know if time will make a difference but I know I have not been easy on it. I have not done any out of town long highway cruising but I have done lots of in town stop and go as well as fast corners and one really rough (steep) entrance that I took faster then I wanted. I have done U turns that had the rear swing out, which before this bar I would never have expected from this car.

You'll hear the noise when you hit something like a pothole. When one side hits something but the other side does not. Some people have not had problems at all (they live where roads are smooth) and others have had bump after bump. It's just a clunking sound. Everything's working fine, but you just hear all the noise since this is basically a piece that you would use on the track. There's just no noise suppresion. The pieces I sent you I hope will get rid of that, or at leat quiet it down.

Nevin
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Ray, the problem was that the link itself came into contact (as far as I know anyway) with a fitting, and that it broke it and fluid came out.

Anyway, if you haven't had problems yet, I doubt you will, but if you could just get under there and see if you have plenty of clearance between the swaybar-endlink mounting bolts and the brake caliper, that'll let you know where we sit.

sicksubie
10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
I have had no noise with my endlinks and still love having the rear bar...

92 SVX
10-12-2011, 08:10 AM
You'll hear the noise when you hit something like a pothole. When one side hits something but the other side does not. Some people have not had problems at all (they live where roads are smooth) and others have had bump after bump. It's just a clunking sound. Everything's working fine, but you just hear all the noise since this is basically a piece that you would use on the track. There's just no noise suppresion. The pieces I sent you I hope will get rid of that, or at leat quiet it down.

The roads are not that smooth here, they are certainly better then the roads in North Dakota but I have ran over man hole covers that are not flush and it makes noise up front but the rear has been very quiet.

NikFu S.
10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
. I have done U turns that had the rear swing out, which before this bar I would never have expected from this car.

I was wondering if i was the only one.
I turn aggressively most days and i justget the feeling the back will step out. One day last week the roads were damp and I decided at the last minute to take this turn rather than wait for oncoming traffic, gave everyone a little show.

sunvalleyray
10-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Ray, the problem was that the link itself came into contact (as far as I know anyway) with a fitting, and that it broke it and fluid came out.

Anyway, if you haven't had problems yet, I doubt you will, but if you could just get under there and see if you have plenty of clearance between the swaybar-endlink mounting bolts and the brake caliper, that'll let you know where we sit.

Nevin,

Just checked my end links (2002 Mazda Protege) and I do see how they could come into contact with the brake fittings but the car was not under any loads/stress. This upgrade completely solved the noise issue and my SVX handles great.

Ray

svxcess
10-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Nevin,

Just checked my end links (2002 Mazda Protege) and I do see how they could come into contact with the brake fittings but the car was not under any loads/stress. This upgrade completely solved the noise issue and my SVX handles great.

I am not sure how comfortable i would feel about having about having to choose between a quiet ride and the possibility of losing my brakes unexpectedly at any time when the car was under stress (spirited driving, tight turns, autocrossing, etc.)

And for those who haven't seen it, Here is a youtube video of ZMan's 94 SVX With the Bontrager sway bar installed and heim endlinks. He mounted a camera underneath the car and filmed it working at speed.

VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YpEdROftns)

SVX92-97
10-13-2011, 09:52 AM
OT, I pmd you two days ago, need some answers:rolleyes:

sunvalleyray
10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I am not sure how comfortable i would feel about having about having to choose between a quiet ride and the possibility of losing my brakes unexpectedly at any time when the car was under stress (spirited driving, tight turns, autocrossing, etc.)

And for those who haven't seen it, Here is a youtube video of ZMan's 94 SVX With the Bontrager sway bar installed and heim endlinks. He mounted a camera underneath the car and filmed it working at speed.

VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YpEdROftns)

Think I should clarify what I meant by "could come into contact with brake fittings"...after inspecting my Mazda end links last night, I concluded that it might be physically possible for the end links to hit the rubber brake line under extreme conditions but highly unlikely. What I failed to mention, the same would be true with the original end links - I do not see any difference in that possibility. Regardless of what end links you have I find it hard to believe that this could ever happen and even if it did, I don't see how it would cause brake failure - the lines are rubber and somewhat flexible. The fact that this was never a problem with the original end links supports that point. Sorry for not being clear, that was not my intention.

Ray

svxcess
10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Maybe stainless steel lines offer more protection. Aging rubber brake lines may be more susceptible. Would worn rear struts add to the possibility?

I think OT ought to comment here with more information on the failure. Seems like the mounting bolts were a different size, not sure. I thought he said that the top bolt on the anti-sway bar link on the passenger side had contacted the banjo bolt to the caliper, causing a brake fluid loss.

huck369
10-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe over bend the sway bar some more to move it more toward the center of the car (away from the caliper)

subarusvx1992
10-13-2011, 04:24 PM

I am not sure if this is the case for anyone else, but for me, once the heim joints are lubed they are whisper quiet. However, once the lubrication is dry the joints begin to rattle. To combat this, I have been researching these:

http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

I am in contact with the company and will hopefully be ordering a set of the 14mm boots tomorrow. Once these boots are packed with grease I am hoping that the endlinks will be acceptably quiet and still allow us to maintain the excellent performance of the heim joints.

sunvalleyray
10-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Maybe stainless steel lines offer more protection. Aging rubber brake lines may be more susceptible. Would worn rear struts add to the possibility?

I think OT ought to comment here with more information on the failure. Seems like the mounting bolts were a different size, not sure. I thought he said that the top bolt on the anti-sway bar link on the passenger side had contacted the banjo bolt to the caliper, causing a brake fluid loss.

Good suggestion regarding the SS brake lines, think with the age of our cars all rubber parts are of suspect. I also agree that it would be beneficial to hear from OT regarding what he knows about this potential brake problem/failure. I have been communicating with him privately so he knows the end links I used.

Regarding the top bolt contacting the bolt on the caliper...I cannot see how that could happen with the mazda end links. There is approximately the same tolerances as with the stock end links if my memory is correct. Perhaps someone has installed the end links on the outside (closer to the calipers) then everyone else. If that is the case I could see all kinds of potential problems. Thanks for suggestions, hopefully we can collective solve this potential problem for I would hate to see any of us lose our brakes!

Ray

svxfiles
10-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Maybe stainless steel lines offer more protection. Aging rubber brake lines may be more susceptible. Would worn rear struts add to the possibility?I think OT ought to comment here with more information on the failure. Seems like the mounting bolts were a different size, not sure. I thought he said that the top bolt on the anti-sway bar link on the passenger side had contacted the banjo bolt to the caliper, causing a brake fluid loss..
OK, It was the top bolt that contacted the banjo bolt at the brake line on the passenger side caliper.
It did not break the bolt, but nuged it enough for a fluid loss, causing the pedal to go to all the way to the floor, slowly.
Perhaps MY Nevin bar is wider than the rest?:confused:
When I get the chance to work on my Pearlie, I will measure the width.
Evan with the adjustable links reinstalled and at their shortest adjustment, there is only about 1/4" of clearance between the top bolt and the banjo bolt.
On the drivers side its about 1/2".
Huck, I really dont want to bend a hardened bar.
A set of 150-155mm links would fix it on my Pearlie.
John, the suspension is stock and the springs and struts are in good shape.
So sagging is not an issue with it.

sunvalleyray
10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
OK, It was the top bolt that contacted the banjo bolt at the brake line on the passenger side caliper.
It did not break the bolt, but nuged it enough for a fluid loss, causing the pedal to go to all the way to the floor, slowly.
Perhaps MY Nevin bar is wider than the rest?:confused:
When I get the chance to work on my Pearlie, I will measure the width.
Evan with the adjustable links reinstalled and at their shortest adjustment, there is only about 1/4" of clearance between the top bolt and the banjo bolt.
On the drivers side its about 1/2".
Huck, I really dont want to bend a hardened bar.
A set of 150-155mm links would fix it on my Pearlie.
John, the suspension is stock and the springs and struts are in good shape.
So sagging is not an issue with it.

OT,

Thanks for the update. I will go out to the garage and measure the distance between end link bolt and banjo bolt, hopefully that will help.

Ray