PDA

View Full Version : My Pearly... Now with M04r w1n

TomsSVX
03-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Got my trans back from the rebuilders... Got them to do a little work in the valve body to help with the shift speed. Rebuilt converter and full internals... Then I decided to take it apart, only to add a little VTD action:D

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0144.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0151-1.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0152-1.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0153.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0143.jpg

Tom

sabin
03-11-2010, 07:42 PM
nice, one day i will have a vtd in my svx

SVXRide
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
and does adding the VDT negate the warranty from the trans shop?:rolleyes::D

help me out here, how are you going to recognize the fact that you've got the VDT installed in your every day driving? :cool:

-Bill

Sov13t
03-11-2010, 09:24 PM
While going sideways through tolls VTD has uberness. Cmon Bill get with the program!

svxfiles
03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
YT has VTD?!?!:eek:

On an early 4EAT!?!?

How the heck did you do that!?

It certainly looks nice,
How does it feel?

Good for you!

TomsSVX
03-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Bill, VTD has a mechanical cneter diff... It's primary drive is the rear wheels... Nuff said:D... More or less I didn't want to have to deal with the laggy and explosive clutch pack. No voiding any warranties here

OT, right now the shifts are perfect... It feels great. But I do not yet have the correct TCU in it which means it has a soft binding at light throttle... Hence why I am not driving ti right now

Tom

TomsSVX
03-12-2010, 04:56 AM
I just had a thought... Maybe this weekend I will place a switch on the sol. C wire out of the TCU. If I switch it off with the US TCU it will essentially provide me with an open diff which will allow me to drive the car as-is until I get the TCU...:D

Tom

michael
03-12-2010, 05:09 AM
Congratulations, have fun with it. Oh and get rid of that Fram :eek:

Subix
03-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Sweet! I can't wait to bring mine back to you so you can do the same for me! ;) haha... if only I had the money... if only.

TomsSVX
03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Nothing to report yet... Just finished up sprucing up the engine and took her back out....:D:D:D:D

Its a little wet and I needed to make a U turn... nothing like burrying your foot and let the ass end do all the work:D:D

Tom

svxfiles
03-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Nothing to report yet... Just finished up sprucing up the engine and took her back out....:D:D:D:D

Its a little wet and I needed to make a U turn... nothing like burrying your foot and let the ass end do all the work:D:DTom

We've seen you do that before!
Tornado in the Reading parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:cool:

TomsSVX
03-13-2010, 05:37 PM
We've seen you do that before!
Tornado in the Reading parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:cool:

But this time its with an Auto... def a cool feeling. The car handles SOOOOOOO much better with the primary rear drive as opposed the the front:)

tom

svxfiles
03-13-2010, 05:53 PM
YT, do you have any extra VTD tail housings?:o:cool:

NeedForSpeed
03-13-2010, 06:16 PM
I just had a thought... Maybe this weekend I will place a switch on the sol. C wire out of the TCU. If I switch it off with the US TCU it will essentially provide me with an open diff which will allow me to drive the car as-is until I get the TCU...:D

Tom

Tom,

If you install the fuse, you are good to go if you installed a red or green-wire Solonoid C :).

If the front speed sensor fails with the fuse installed, its exciting, don't ask me how I know :WTF:.

Five of my SVXes have VTD, first one installed three summers ago :eek::).

Enjoy!

svxfiles
03-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Tom,

If you install the fuse, you are good to go if you installed a red or green-wire Solonoid C :).

If the front speed sensor fails with the fuse installed, its exciting, don't ask me how I know :WTF:.

Five of my SVXes have VTD, first one installed three summers ago :eek::).

Enjoy!

You did this three years ago and did not tell me......
Bi+ch!:eek:

:p

NeedForSpeed
03-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Well, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be :p

NeedForSpeed
03-13-2010, 06:49 PM

I've been a bit distracted the past couple years, relocating and other life-stuff :o,

I'll be caught up this summer, so, you will hear more from me here :)

TomsSVX
03-14-2010, 08:47 AM
It was a yellow wire sol. C. I did get to installing the switch yesterday which has opened the diff by not sending any pulsewidth to the solenoid. Yes it throws a code... but at least it is not binding anymore.

Tom

NeedForSpeed
03-14-2010, 11:06 AM
It was a yellow wire sol. C. I did get to installing the switch yesterday which has opened the diff by not sending any pulsewidth to the solenoid. Yes it throws a code... but at least it is not binding anymore.

Tom

That should do it :D
I will be most interested to hear about your driving impressions :cool:
What final gear are you running?

TomsSVX
03-14-2010, 12:58 PM
That should do it :D
I will be most interested to hear about your driving impressions :cool:
What final gear are you running?

Running stock 3.545 gears for gas mileage and quite frankly, im not interested in fixing what aint broke... Not to mention, warranty on the trans

Tom

Nevin
03-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Next up on the VTD list... me. Waiting to get that uber secret TCU of awesomeness.

Tom, couldn't you just pull the front shafts too, leave the nubs in and run it RWD. :)

p.s. I can't wait to be VTD!! Mine's a 4.11, so I kinda sorta have high hopes. I got my trans cooler/fan/thermostat this week and LAN shipped my built VB. Should be a heck of a drive!

TomsSVX
03-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Next up on the VTD list... me. Waiting to get that uber secret TCU of awesomeness.

Tom, couldn't you just pull the front shafts too, leave the nubs in and run it RWD. :)

p.s. I can't wait to be VTD!! Mine's a 4.11, so I kinda sorta have high hopes. I got my trans cooler/fan/thermostat this week and LAN shipped my built VB. Should be a heck of a drive!

Pulling the shafts you lose your ability to park with the parking prawl... I am not looking to keep it RWD either. I am also awaiting the correct TCU for it to function properly... In which case the RWD switch will be removed

Tom

92 SVX
03-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Pulling the shafts you lose your ability to park with the parking prawl... I am not looking to keep it RWD either. I am also awaiting the correct TCU for it to function properly... In which case the RWD switch will be removed

Tom

It is not truely RWD right now is it? I thought they were 35/65 or something.

Nevin
03-14-2010, 10:30 PM
It is not truely RWD right now is it? I thought they were 35/65 or something.

Those are the numbers I have heard as well. I think I've read 36/64 before as well. Somewhere in that region anyhow.

TomsSVX
03-15-2010, 06:17 PM
yes that is about right... The fact of the matter is, it is an open mechanical diff... Without severe delta from the front/rear the rear will see mostly all of it though

Tom

92 SVX
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
yes that is about right... The fact of the matter is, it is an open mechanical diff... Without severe delta from the front/rear the rear will see mostly all of it though

Tom

I would love to have that on my car. I prefer the RWD handling characteristics.

michael
03-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Was this issue ever resolved, if so how? Is a TCU swap a solution or maybe a reflash? I know Toms not around much anymore. Any help is appreciated, all options welcome.

1986nate
03-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Was this issue ever resolved, if so how? Is a TCU swap a solution or maybe a reflash? I know Toms not around much anymore. Any help is appreciated, all options welcome.

What issue exactly?
A few JDM VTD transmissions have been installed. You just need to have a matching TCU to the C solenoid as they reversed the signal sometime in the production run. I believe in 94 or 95.

michael
03-24-2012, 08:09 PM
It might be best if you read the whole thread. Slight binding, Need for some switch, TCU Codes for C solenoid.

michael
03-25-2012, 07:01 AM
I hope I didn't come across as being sarcastic. I don't know that much about the VTD. I'm posting this for a friend, he bought Tom's SVX a while ago, and would like to get the codes cleared up. Nate you said the VTD is JDM, Only? Sounds to me the best solution would be a JDM TCU. Would that mean a JDM ECU would also be necessary? What did you do with your swaps to get it functioning properly?

TomsSVX
03-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Needs a jdm tcu... the firmware in us tcu does not calculate vss1 &2 properly... i thought i told u guys when u were out here?

Tom

michael
03-25-2012, 10:12 AM
You may have, it was a while ago. Is there a temporary solution until I can find one?

oab_au
03-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I hope I didn't come across as being sarcastic. I don't know that much about the VTD. I'm posting this for a friend, he bought Tom's SVX a while ago, and would like to get the codes cleared up. Nate you said the VTD is JDM, Only? Sounds to me the best solution would be a JDM TCU. Would that mean a JDM ECU would also be necessary? What did you do with your swaps to get it functioning properly?

Micheal as Tom says, "that the trans has a yellow wire C solenoid in it", you need to get a JDM TCU 91 to 94 to suit the trans.

Harvey.

Sean486
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Micheal as Tom says, "that the trans has a yellow wire C solenoid in it", you need to get a JDM TCU 91 to 94 to suit the trans.

Harvey.

Do we know which countries used the JDM trans? Maybe having a list would help him with the search.

oab_au
03-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Do we know which countries used the JDM trans? Maybe having a list would help him with the search.

Well Sean, I think that only Japan, would have had Japanese Delivered Models.:)

Harvey.

Sean486
03-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Well Sean, I think that only Japan, would have had Japanese Delivered Models.:)

Harvey.

Oh, thought they might have used that trans for a few other countries. My bad.

oab_au
03-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Oh, thought they might have used that trans for a few other countries. My bad.

No they only used that one in Japan. The other VTD trans that was used in some of the other countries, is different.

Harvey.