PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Camshaft Options

Crazy_pilot
02-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm rebuilding my engine this summer, mainly with the goal of getting it back up to full running spec, but I'd also like to give it a little more grunt. My current thoughts are some aftermarket cams and possibly mild head work. However, this has lead me to wondering what the camshaft options are. I've searched, I swear! Here's my list so far:

ECUTune: 3 different profile sets listed.
Web: No SVX listed on their website. Do they have stock profiles, or is every job a one-off?
Delta: Same question.

Are there any other options? And for those who have aftermarket cam experience, do you have any suggestions?

If this thread generates some solid information I'll change this post to reflect the list that comes together.

Nevin
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I had a crower cam ground for my Mazda a few years back. They didn't have anything listed, but someone told me about them and I was very happy with the results. If you're looking, they're at least worth a shot. Just call them up, ask for the cam shop, and tell them what you want.

SilverSpear
02-26-2010, 02:17 AM
What is your budget for

1- Reground cams
2- New lightweight billet cams?

STeeL25T
02-26-2010, 05:28 AM
I know nothing about Web other than they are way expensive, although all the "best" EG33s use them so theyre prolly the best.

Delta will regrind your cams for 200 dollars per cam, do a search cause I dont have the exact numbers in my head but you can send them just your intake cams and have a pretty good improvement for 400 dollars. I'm debating doing that myself, but I'm so close to being done I can taste it haha

RallyBob
02-26-2010, 09:43 AM
I know nothing about Web other than they are way expensive, although all the "best" EG33s use them so theyre prolly the best.

The reason the Web Cams mentioned are expensive is because they're hardface-welded then reground to maintain the stock base circle diameter. If you just had them reground the price is FAR less.

Most places that do hardface cam welding charge about $25 per lobe, so you can see the costs add up quick!

RallyBob
02-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Web: No SVX listed on their website. Do they have stock profiles, or is every job a one-off?

FWIW, I did finally discover exactly which cam profiles Jack's EG33 is running. They're based off Web's Suzuki 'Hayabusa' cam profiles.

Intake Profile:
.445"/ 11.3 mm valve lift
244° duration @ .050"
268° advertised duration

Exhaust Profile:
.460"/ 11.68 mm valve lift
244° duration @ .050"
268° advertised duration

These are VERY fast opening cam profiles judging by the relationship between the advertised duration and the duration @ .050".

These were certainly a one-off cam design for an EG33, based on the airflow the heads were making (which I faxed to Web).

Crazy_pilot
02-26-2010, 04:46 PM
My budget isn't terribly limited, within reason (I am still a full time student). $1000 is easily doable, probably up to $1500 if required.

Bob,

That profile is meant to run with the modified valvetrain Jack's car has, correct? I would guess it's too aggressive to work with the factory valve gear? How is the "streetability" of that sort of arrangement?

Chike had posted a set of intake cams he installed:

8.0mm of lift, 247 degrees duration w/ the entire profile retarded by 7 degrees

Seems very conservative compared to the 3.3RS.

STeeL25T
02-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming the 3.3 RS has undergone a full conversion to Impreza valves and lifters or whatever. I think keeping most of the stock stuff (and your motor non interference) will limit how much you can modify your stock cams.

Crazy_pilot
02-26-2010, 08:27 PM
That was my understanding as well. I think that profile will only work with the solid bucket conversion, which is out of my budget, ability, and need.

RallyBob
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Yup, you guys are both right. Those cams are of the solid tappet variety, and won't work within the limits of the stock valve springs and valve lengths either.

oab_au
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Bob do you know what the lobe centers or valve timing is.

Harvey.

aust92pearl
02-27-2010, 04:53 PM
dont know if these would work but they came up while searching SVX
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Engine-Parts/Performance/performance-parts_c-5_pl-1020.htm

RallyBob
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Bob do you know what the lobe centers or valve timing is.

Harvey.

I believe they're ground on the stock centerlines.

SilverSpear
02-27-2010, 10:24 PM
dont know if these would work but they came up while searching SVX
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Engine-Parts/Performance/performance-parts_c-5_pl-1020.htm

This is the effect of the economy. These guys wanna sell everything to anything :lol:

Seraphinwolf
03-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Thinking the same as I'm gonna rest most of the power ups on my spare engien build on the head work. Don't know what I'll do for cams. Maybe even leave stock for now but now about the coverter to solid. How likely would a general shop motor shop beable to just go right ahead and do this without having to research or what not? Especially if I bring them to a shop that has worked with EJ's in the past. If i'm better off finding someone who's done it before who would be a good idea to bring/ship them to? Bob are you dirrectly an option on this? I just want to get teh heads built up and clean the block back up with new seals and such, maybe Cosmetic HG's and get it set to drop in.

Johnybeas
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
for a full rebuild for a boost application on an svx running a turbo, perhaps a gt40 series and looking for upwards of 500 whp what would be the best choice? regrinding the stock cams or getting new web ones set up or what??? I plan to build next fall.

Myxalplyx
03-21-2010, 11:44 AM
If anyone had a dyno comparison or before/after 1/4 mile time comparison of different cam installations, that'd be great. Just remember that these are not light cars and they need some torque to get rolling. If you start moving the powerband higher, you could sacrifice some lowend.

Johnybeas
03-25-2010, 12:26 PM
bump... would love some answers here from those that have built. aka YT, bobby, LAN, etc

superru
03-31-2010, 11:10 AM
I would go with the weld/reground option and change the duration a bit to allow for the boost, but also like stated, we don't want to start moving the powerband too much as we could also loose "spool up" power!
i'm kind of new to the Cam thing, i've been doing 2 strokes!!

sicksubie
03-31-2010, 12:49 PM
bump... would love some answers here from those that have built. aka YT, bobby, LAN, etc

What would you like to know? I am happy with how my car idles and VERY happy with the power band... I will get some dyno plots up at some point this spring...

SilverSpear
03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
1.Johnybeas has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space. :p

Johnybeas
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
1.Johnybeas has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space. :p

dammit! lol

Johnybeas
03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
fixeddedededed :eek:

Crazy_pilot
03-31-2010, 07:52 PM
What would you like to know? I am happy with how my car idles and VERY happy with the power band... I will get some dyno plots up at some point this spring...

Are you still running the ECUTune FI cams? I seem to remember you having some trouble getting it to idle nicely with the standard Stage III software.

sicksubie
04-01-2010, 06:47 AM
I think that was due more to vac leaks than anything else. Yes, I am still running the ECUTune cams...

Sov13t
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
ECUTune cams in mine too. Idle is a bit on the low side with stock ECU but great otherwise. Running on completely stock ECU for the time being.

Crazy_pilot
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
What's is "a bit low"? I'm leaning mostly toward Mike's cams, mainly due to the ease of getting them and not having to send my originals out to be reground.

I am, however, looking into a company here in Canada called Colt Cams who I've seen and heard good things about.

SVXRide
04-01-2010, 04:08 PM
ECUTune cams in mine too. Idle is a bit on the low side with stock ECU but great otherwise. Running on completely stock ECU for the time being.

Thought you were running a Hydra?
-Bill