PDA

View Full Version : Glass roof Myth?

legacyau
02-03-2010, 12:27 AM
I have read here somewhere that there is a glass sunroof out of a later subi that fits the SVX? Fact or Fiction??? i will take advice from anyone who has done it.

Gamesy
02-03-2010, 01:01 AM
supposedly the early model legacy's if not get a custom cut piece.

subbieatnz
02-03-2010, 01:28 AM
supposedly the early model legacy's if not get a custom cut piece.

I dont know about that but of what some of the sunroofs ive seen of imprezas or legacys they look so similar size. I never had a chance to measure one to see if it would fit.

McTaff
02-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Early model legacy/liberty seem to have a flat sunroof?

If this is the case, even if the dimensions fit, the glass would look a bit out of place.

I've already considered trying to get a custom peice made up of tinted glass, but I've got too much on my plate at this time to go messing around with it. I might do in the near future, though.

zavikan
02-03-2010, 07:06 AM
As I'm sure, you aquired this 'myth' information from my post (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52064&highlight=rarities). As I also stated in that post, the car came to Reading V. I saw it first hand, inquired about it first hand, talked to the owner first hand. I *touched* it. It exists. I am still attempting to find that person. :rolleyes:

The Glass GC8 (2.5RS 1st Generation) moonroof from the non NADM vehicles is a directly bolt-in replacement for our roof. It is not flat, but contours to the roof.

SilverSpear
02-03-2010, 07:27 AM
As I'm sure, you aquired this 'myth' information from my post (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52064&highlight=rarities). As I also stated in that post, the car came to Reading V. I saw it first hand, inquired about it first hand, talked to the owner first hand. I *touched* it. It exists. I am still attempting to find that person. :rolleyes:

The Glass GC8 (2.5RS 1st Generation) moonroof from the non NADM vehicles is a directly bolt-in replacement for our roof. It is not flat, but contours to the roof.

Now that is a nice addition to our cars... :cool:

icingdeath88
02-03-2010, 10:48 AM

So has anyone found a source for them yet?

BoxerFanatic
02-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Maybe we could have some of our australian, japanese, and european SVX brethren check with Subaru dealers, and salvage yards for some parts...

SilverSpear
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
We need to know exactly the difference between ours and the glass kit. Maybe that would help in terms of parts needed (obviously other than the glass itself).

icingdeath88
02-03-2010, 02:45 PM
If you want, I have a sunroof that's been taken out of a car that can be used for comparison. There's honestly not a lot to it. If it's the right dimensions, then it should fit. There is a frame that the moving part mounts to, that would probably also need to be swapped.

lhopp77
02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
If this is the case, even if the dimensions fit, the glass would look a bit out of place.

I've already considered trying to get a custom peice made up of tinted glass, but I've got too much on my plate at this time to go messing around with it. I might do in the near future, though.

This is aftermarket--does it look out of place?

Lee

McTaff
02-04-2010, 03:58 AM
That seriously looks good. I'd have hesitated to put in a flat peice, but that indeed has blown away my reservations.

The cost to get the "slight curve" in the custom peice was ridiculous when I got quotes a few years ago, hence why I haven't gone for it.

zavikan
02-04-2010, 06:28 AM
There has been alot of interest in a glass roof. I am curious why no one has actually just gone and gotten the aforementioned piece. I wouldnt think it would be difficult to locate in foreign markets.... heck, ebay is a good source of foreign junk cars. If they are selling parts off a parts car, just call the international and ask for the moonroof.

Me personally... I don't think I want one. Unless I was to tint it really dark... which ALMOST defeats the purpose...And you lose the nice all grey ceiling...I like how the original tries to mask its presence when its shut, by being regular headliner.

James

SilverSpear
02-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Doesn't it come with an undercover?

zavikan
02-04-2010, 10:27 AM
not to my knowledge. AKA: I did not see one during my viewing of it on the SVX.

aust92pearl
02-17-2010, 06:51 PM
i have a 90/1 liberty aus spec with a glass sunroof with similar tracks ,size (by eye) etc but moves differently to our ones does anyone have the dimensions of ours ?
the dimensions of the one on the liberty i have are 87x48 cm or {34(1/4)x18(7/8)} inches

aust92pearl
02-18-2010, 02:48 AM
bummer just got dad to measure my pearlies one its 485 x 850 and 495 cm in the middle (19(1/16)x33(5/16)and(19(1/2) in

SilverSpear
02-18-2010, 03:12 AM
bummer just got dad to measure my pearlies one its 485 x 850 and 495 cm in the middle (19(1/16)x33(5/16)and(19(1/2) in

Almost close!

The myth holds of the UK specs RS impreza sunroof.