Crazy_pilot
12-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Custom or from an STi/WRX?

michael
12-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Megan links?

TomsSVX
12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
They are whiteline adjustable for the STI. I was able to get my Dealer parts supplier to send me a pair for test fitment. I will be ordering another pair for the other side of Shotgunslade's car. Got them mounted and with a little work everything fits perfectly. I am debating getting some Cusco pillowball trailing arms for his car as well but feel the adjustable lat links will be more than enough for suspension stability and adjustability.

Tom

sowise
12-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I have the Megan Racing lateral links I haven't finished the full fit up since I have been busy on pretty much everything else. I have to replace my backing plates before I start reassembling. The lateral links will work though and I have the trailing link as well. The adjustable trailing link may need some slight modification but nothing too major. I look forward to seeing what others are doing though.

Crazy_pilot
12-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I figured the STi links would be a bolt on. Good to know!

SVXRide
12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
They are whiteline adjustable for the STI. I was able to get my Dealer parts supplier to send me a pair for test fitment. I will be ordering another pair for the other side of Shotgunslade's car. Got them mounted and with a little work everything fits perfectly. I am debating getting some Cusco pillowball trailing arms for his car as well but feel the adjustable lat links will be more than enough for suspension stability and adjustability.

Tom

YT,
I'm guessing those were the ones that Jackie had on the shelf:cool: I'd told her a while back I was interested in them, but then got busy with life :rolleyes: She had four of them when I talked with her, so I take it you're getting the other two for Dan's car. I definitely want to do this for RacerX so I can actually get some serious negative camber on the back. I'll give you a call this week.
-Bill

TomsSVX
12-13-2009, 05:52 PM
YT,
I'm guessing those were the ones that Jackie had on the shelf:cool: I'd told here a while back I was interested in them, but then got busy with life :rolleyes: She had four of them when I talked with her, so I take it you're getting the other two for Dan's car. I definitely want to do this for RacerX so I can actually get some serious negative camber on the back. I'll give you a call this week.
-Bill

Yes I got them from Jackie. Not sure on the total pricing yet, she just sent them as mock-ups. Will get all the prices tomorrow

Pics are loading

Tom

TomsSVX
12-13-2009, 06:11 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0005.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0006.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0015.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0026.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0025.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/TomsSVX/DSCN0027.jpg

Tom

Crazy_pilot
12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Looks great! I wish my subframe looked like that. Maybe not gold, but that clean anyway...

sowise
12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Wow, that looks great and you even have Nevins sway bar in there which looks really good with the lateral links. I am a bit jealous of the rear subframe too. I took the cheaper route using a grinder and some engine block paint (gloss black) it looks ok but not like a smooth powder coat.

subbieatnz
12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
:)They are whiteline adjustable for the STI. I was able to get my Dealer parts supplier to send me a pair for test fitment. I will be ordering another pair for the other side of Shotgunslade's car. Got them mounted and with a little work everything fits perfectly. I am debating getting some Cusco pillowball trailing arms for his car as well but feel the adjustable lat links will be more than enough for suspension stability and adjustability.

Tom

Do you know what the parts number is for those Whitelines? :)

ridered777
12-14-2009, 08:01 AM
:)

Do you know what the parts number is for those Whitelines? :)

Look at the picture of the installation instructions with the part number across the top :rolleyes:

Ouch Tom. Upon further digging, whiteline's website gets $300 PER SIDE for the KTA107 adj. links.

It's a needed upgrade, and with Nevin's swaybar on the way I was thinking about it, but $600 on lateral links seems a little excessive to me...:o

TomsSVX
12-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Lets just say I got a good deal on the lat links. Considering the failure rate of the original bushings in other SVX I have had apart they are absolutely needed for a car ready to hit the track. Not to mention the adjustability of camber and rear wheel toe is an added plus:D And they look fantastic. Other side is on its way

Tom

Crazy_pilot
12-14-2009, 09:01 AM
$600 for the full set is fairly standard for those, the Perrin ones list for $560 or something. If you're going to be tracking the car on a regular basis you have to be ready to spend the money on it.

TomsSVX
12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
$600 for the full set is fairly standard for those, the Perrin ones list for $560 or something. If you're going to be tracking the car on a regular basis you have to be ready to spend the money on it.

go ahead and price a set of new ones... it is well worth it

Tom

sowise
12-14-2009, 10:19 AM
I found a $425 set of the whitelines here http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/suspension-lateral-links-c-21_26_136_325.html
but not sure if they are the same year or set up (pictures won't show on work pc for p/n).
I would suggest looking around there are alot of places that sell them and prices are definitely different.

Most of what I have looked at should work fine as long as they are the adjustables.

TomsSVX
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
They will prob work but thats not what I did.

I have used two pairs of the front bars to make the set. there is some work do be done with the bushing sleeves to get the right sized holes for the eccentric toe adjuster on the rear bars. I did this because we do not want and/or need the rear sway bar bracket on the rear bars... Do it right, or don't do it at all IMHO

Tom

SVXRide
12-14-2009, 07:47 PM

I have used two pairs of the front bars to make the set. there is some work do be done with the bushing sleeves to get the right sized holes for the eccentric toe adjuster on the rear bars. I did this because we do not want and/or need the rear sway bar bracket on the rear bars... Do it right, or don't do it at all IMHO

Tom

+ infinity ^

-Bill

NeedForSpeed
12-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Tom

Is there any mechanical advantage, one way or the other, to connect the rear bar to the rear lateral link like the STI, as opposed to mounting on the rear hub like our SVX?

Is there a weight advantage to this, perhaps shorter bar is lighter?
Why did STI connect the rear bar to the lateral link? :confused:

Crazy_pilot
12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
You would actually reduce the effectiveness of the swaybar by using the STi's attachment points. The closer you put the endlinks to inner end of the lateral link, the more easily the swaybar can be twisted. A swaybar is most effective when it's mounted as far out as possible.

SVXRide
12-15-2009, 10:31 AM
what Chris said! :D
-Bill

NeedForSpeed
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
You would actually reduce the effectiveness of the swaybar by using the STi's attachment points. The closer you put the endlinks to inner end of the lateral link, the more easily the swaybar can be twisted. A swaybar is most effective when it's mounted as far out as possible.

Then, what possible reason would Subaru attach the rear bar to the lateral link on the STI, but not on the WRX?

SVXRide
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Then, what possible reason would Subaru attach the rear bar to the lateral link on the STI, but not on the WRX?

most likely cost and the suspension geometry...
-Bill

NeedForSpeed
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
most likely cost and the suspension geometry...
-Bill

As for saving cost, if that were the reason for linking the bar to the rear lateral link on the STI, it would seem that the WRX would be a better candidate for cost saving, due to greater number of sales [assumed].

If for suspension geometry, that factor would have to be a greater positive than the resulting shorter bar. It would seem that tweaking suspension geometry for STI-only would be the opposite direction of cost :confused:

SVXRide
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
As for saving cost, if that were the reason for linking the bar to the rear lateral link on the STI, it would seem that the WRX would be a better candidate for cost saving, due to greater number of sales [assumed].

If for suspension geometry, that factor would have to be a greater positive than the resulting shorter bar. It would seem that tweaking suspension geometry for STI-only would be the opposite direction of cost :confused:

On the cost issue, think about the cost of the casting that our end link attaches to versus just welding on a tab.

On the geometry front, consider that the Subie engineers are willing to make compromises and adopt a "good enough" solution on the sway bar, given what they have with the rest of the suspension (struts/springs/tires)

-Bill

TomsSVX
12-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Ok Bill and other parties interested.. There is approx 1.75" of thread left on each side of the bars... This is plenty of room to play with considering it is 3.5" in actuality. Got the other side installed today and they do look great as a set matched with the great components of Nevin's rear sway bar.

Tom

SVXRide
12-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Ok Bill and other parties interested.. There is approx 1.75" of thread left on each side of the bars... This is plenty of room to play with considering it is 3.5" in actuality. Got the other side installed today and they do look great as a set matched with the great components of Nevin's rear sway bar.

Tom

Tom,
Nice! Been checking your mail today? USPS's "Express Mail" said delivery of the shims by 3:00pm today!
-Bill

TomsSVX
12-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Tom,
Nice! Been checking your mail today? USPS's "Express Mail" said delivery of the shims by 3:00pm today!
-Bill

I will get them tonight and should be able to wrap up the long block tomorrow

Tom

sowise
12-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Answer to SVXrides request for part #'s
Because my set up is not currently installed (basic fitment check only) buy at your own risk or wait till after the holidays when I should be able to have mine mounted.

Here is what I ordered from the megan racing website. The trailing arms are going to require some slight modification to fit properly. This picture should explain what I have looked at so far.
Subaru Impreza GC/GD Rear Rear Lateral Arms 6153-RR 1 $299.00
Subaru STi 08+ Rear Trailing Arms MR-6755 1 $210.00
Subaru Impreza GC/GD Rear Front Lateral Arms 6153-RF 1 $199.00 $199.00

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/sowise/Armsmoddetail.jpg

Johnybeas
12-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I like the color of the megan ones matching the sway bar since I'm getting one of nevins this month, but as far as fittiment which are easiest but still high quality?

Also what are we looking at price difference wise? are there other companies that you guys would recommend besides the whiteline perrin and megan???

TomsSVX
12-20-2009, 06:58 PM
I like the color of the megan ones matching the sway bar since I'm getting one of nevins this month, but as far as fittiment which are easiest but still high quality?

Also what are we looking at price difference wise? are there other companies that you guys would recommend besides the whiteline perrin and megan???

Start looking around and doing your research... Cannot rely on everyone else to do it for you, or else nothing would ever get done

Tom

SVXRide
12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
OBX appears to be the most inexpensive of the bunch. As to be expected, there does not appear to be a straight bolt in for the trailing arms.
-Bill

sowise
12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Start looking around and doing your research... Cannot rely on everyone else to do it for you, or else nothing would ever get done

Tom

+1
What I looked for was basic shape and subaru fitment, some websites show an example part photo that isn't representative of the part you would be buying so I was not going to risk buying from them. What it comes down to is you make a choice to try it, see what modifications may need to be done and determine if that is of value to you to try. To some people if you have to modify a part then they don't want it or don't think it is worth it. I think Tom's set up looks great, I think the Megan's will look great too but pretty much anyone that make links for the WRX/STi will have something that fits with little mod required as long as you get them adjustable. I wouldn't get a fixed size without first verifying if those fit which I don't think they do.

Johnybeas
12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
awesome! well I start my suspension class this next semester so I'll know more what I'm looking at and what types of things to look for in my research. Thanks for the insight and the head start.

sicksubie
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Look at the picture of the installation instructions with the part number across the top :rolleyes:

Ouch Tom. Upon further digging, whiteline's website gets $300 PER SIDE for the KTA107 adj. links.

It's a needed upgrade, and with Nevin's swaybar on the way I was thinking about it, but $600 on lateral links seems a little excessive to me...:o

Get in touch with Clint at Turn in Concepts- Whitelines for both sides, $408...

sicksubie
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Tom what year STi were these for? I am a little confused by the part number in the picture as it says KT109-8-7.. Those are all different model numbers KT109, KT108, KT107...

TomsSVX
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
its a kit... I am not sure what years it applies to. I just happened to stumble upon them

Tom

Seraphinwolf
01-08-2010, 05:02 AM
So all in all the short of it is I should order 3 pairs of adjustable lateral links of the company of my choosing. 1 for the SVX, 1 for the Impreza, 1 for when I break one...:rolleyes:

sicksubie
01-08-2010, 07:42 AM
breaking these would take some beyond extreme driving or some extreme stupidity...

Seraphinwolf
01-09-2010, 02:21 AM
breaking these would take some beyond extreme driving or some extreme stupidity...

:cool:
I've been known to do both from time to time.

lhopp77
01-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Get in touch with Clint at Turn in Concepts- Whitelines for both sides, $408...

Another source for Whiteline Products.

http://www.erzperformance.com/product_p/kta107-04sti.htm

Lee

Johnybeas
05-17-2010, 01:52 AM
bump for this thread sowise did you ever get your megans all bolted up and working??

XT6Wagon
05-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Did you ever try the trailing arms? I know on the WRX wagon I had the STi pink pillowball trailing arms were night and day better. Stopped the random toe problem that made it so unstable under braking. Stock you never knew which direction the rear end would try to point.

sowise
05-18-2010, 12:44 PM
bump for this thread sowise did you ever get your megans all bolted up and working??

uhmm define bolted up and working? Actually I have been a combination of too lazy, and too busy to get back to that area of the car. I hate to say it I start a portion of the car then get bored and jump to the next portion that shows promise or interest to me. I really gotta stop that.

To answer your question I can mount them and have the lateral links on the rear subframe. The subframe is still in the garage, I am stuck with some corroded hardware that is giving me hell when replacing some of the bushings. I NEED that bushing replaced before I can mount the subframe with lateral links and trailing arms. Once that is done I have to finish the brake mod for the rears using the WRX backing plates I have the wheel bearings and all the hardware too. Once those are on and mounted I can put some tires on and then get the preload on the links and arms when tightening them up. I dont' want the car to sit extra high so placing the wheels on the ground and tightening them up at full suspension compression is what I plan to do.

Sorry wish I had more new info for you I have been bouncing around too much. I fear if I don't it will sit and nothing will get done at all.

Johnybeas
02-03-2011, 02:59 AM
bump results? anyone else done these? impressions? sowise, dare I ask is the car done??

sicksubie
02-12-2011, 12:16 PM
bump results? anyone else done
these? impressions? sowise, dare I ask is the car done??

What kind of prices can you get on whiteline lateral links?

Johnybeas
02-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Whiteline Adjustable Lateral Links that fit the SVX come in pairs of Two with bushings part number KTA107 Retail of 323.36 a set, to do complete setup on the SVX you need two sets, I can do one set for 303.36 or two for 600 even.

Another Option is the Megan version part number 6153-RF also comes in a set of two for 199.00 a set or 398.0 for all four.

icingdeath88
09-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Ok, it looks like the Megan ones are sold in pairs of two, but not per-side. Part number 6153-RF is for the fronts, and costs around $170-190. 6153-RR is the rears, including the sway-bar attachment stuff, and costs around $250.

Does anyone know if I could just order two sets of the front, or are the bolt hole sizes where they attach to the subframe different sizes? Or will they work despite being different sizes (ie, the fronts have the larger bolt hole, and will accommodate the smaller rear bolt)?

Looks like that's what Tom did with the whiteline ones, just get two pairs of the fronts. Should work the same with the Megan ones, I would think. Would really like an answer, so I can order these and get my suspension wrapped up.

TomsSVX
09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Gotta use the correct bushings and sleeves for the bolt locations
Tom

icingdeath88
10-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Gotta use the correct bushings and sleeves for the bolt locations
Tom

Thanks for taking the time to chime in! You never visit anymore...

So does that mean that I need to order a front set and a rear set? I have not had a look at the bolts in a really long time and I wasn't paying attention to the size and I'm not sure how they compare to the impreza ones, so I'm unsure of what the "correct" size would be in this case.

TomsSVX
10-01-2011, 07:19 AM
You are going to need four front bars but the bars in the rear are adjustable via excentric bolts on the inside which have a wider diameter hole. Youbwill need tge rear bar bushings and sleeves to install into the front bars.... been too long to tell what comes in the kits anymore so ur gonna need to find out

Tom

icingdeath88
10-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Ok, for the Megan ones, that means I need a pair of fronts and a pair of rears. The rears don't have the swaybar stuff permanently attached link the whiteline ones, and I don't really think I can get an extra bushing very easily. Thank you, Tom :)

For reference, the rears are on the left and the fronts are on the right.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15705&stc=1&d=1317483605

Johnybeas
10-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Nassir, have you installed the megans yet?

icingdeath88
10-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Lol, you really don't check the forums often enough anymore. I just posted that like yesterday. Haven't even ordered them yet. I'll let you know when I get them on though.

Johnybeas
10-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Lol, I've been slammed with work. I admit, I have been neglecting the SVX community lol!

icingdeath88
10-17-2011, 02:21 AM
Lateral links are on the car :)

They fit fine (Megan part numbers posted already). You do need front and rear pairs, because the holes for the bolts are different sizes. They don't quite seem bulletproof, but at least as strong as stock. We'll see, I don't have anything that crazy planned for them. They don't have as much travel as it looks like the whiteline ones do. The whiteline ones seem better, judging by the pics. Stronger, better adjustment and the system for adjustment. The megan ones look like they'd be real weak if you adjusted them to anywhere near as long as possible. So you could get about an extra 1/2 inch length out of each length, maybe more. Enough for some pretty aggressive settings I think.

Getting an alignment will be tricky I think. I'll give my assessment of the driveability, stiffness, etc once I've had time to drive around with them a bit.

Got pics, but they're on chuckls's phone, so one of us will post them eventually.

Chuckls
10-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Do not judge, but this is the ONLY picture I have of the lateral links.. (which do sorta hurt when dropped on face)

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/chuckles2002/906ebfc9.jpg

icingdeath88
10-17-2011, 10:41 AM
^thanks bro. :)

Johnybeas
10-17-2011, 10:57 PM
More pictures of them installed completely?? Any geometry readings from an alignment rack?

Chuckls
10-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I forgot to take more pictures, so it's on him.

He'll chime in when he gets around to an alignment.

Johnybeas
10-23-2011, 08:53 PM
bump... :eek::):D:cool::p

aust92pearl
11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
just wondering would these ones fit ? with or without slight mods
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Eibach-5-67640K%20-Rear-Lateral-Link-Kit
they seam to be the cheapest of the bunch

icingdeath88
11-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Those should work better than either of the other two actually. They don't have the swaybar bracket that the whiteline ones have, and they look like they should be able to get longer than the megan ones. And black instead of some tacky color, and cheaper. Win, win, win, win. I say go for it.

aust92pearl
11-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Those should work better than either of the other two actually. They don't have the swaybar bracket that the whiteline ones have, and they look like they should be able to get longer than the megan ones. And black instead of some tacky color, and cheaper. Win, win, win, win. I say go for it.

oh ok haha sweet , i likez moar winns :lol:
in the word of charlie sheen "winning" :D
il order a set (or get nate to for me :rolleyes: )

thanks icing :D

icingdeath88
11-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Anytime. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for not searching more and finding those first...

aust92pearl
11-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Anytime. Now I'm kind of kicking myself for not searching more and finding those first...

:) , you could always sell yours and buy a set of these :rolleyes:;)

Chuckls
12-01-2011, 01:11 AM
:) , you could always sell yours and buy a set of these :rolleyes:;)

For the price he paid? Plus adding blue to Laguna's adds 10 hp remember?

aust92pearl
12-01-2011, 06:32 AM
For the price he paid? Plus adding blue to Laguna's adds 10 hp remember?

well that would be up to him :lol:
does it add 10 hp putting black adjusable ones onto a pearl/black too :rolleyes:
what if i paint part of them with pearl nail polish like i did with my centre caps on the lexus rims :lol::lol:
colour (color :p ) coded ftw ?

icingdeath88
12-03-2011, 08:58 AM
colour (color :p ) coded ftw ?

:lol:

More pictures of them installed completely?? Any geometry readings from an alignment rack?

Here are some pics from me messing with them today. I never got around to going to an alignment shop, because I was able to get it close enough to where I wanted it by eye-balling it. Doesn't pull either way after the little bit of fine-tuning I did today.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8ta3SGPZ73k/TtpGR0zcw6I/AAAAAAAAA98/fEx3h-dssTE/s1000/IMG_0647.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c4uEum7wfFg/TtpGR0uTggI/AAAAAAAAA94/EYh2Vn1DzHs/s1000/IMG_0650.JPG

icingdeath88
12-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Plus adding blue to Laguna's adds 10 hp remember?

If they were actually blue maybe. They are a sort of sparkly, purplish blueish color.

The suspension bits are such a sad random assortment.

RSB - bontrager blue (nice color, wish everything was this color)
Kmac plates - silver and an anodized blue
Konis - yellow
ground control stuff - red and gold
brakes - red, but a completely different red
and the links - purply blue with way too many sparkles

But color coordination does not a fast (or should I say beastly handling) car make. The car corners flat, with some oversteer instead of understeering, and it's tastefully lowered, with it's nose out of the air, so I am very happy :D. But should have gotten the enkei links.

aust92pearl
12-03-2011, 04:41 PM
If they were actually blue maybe. They are a sort of sparkly, purplish blueish color.

The suspension bits are such a sad random assortment.

RSB - bontrager blue (nice color, wish everything was this color)
Kmac plates - silver and an anodized blue
Konis - yellow
ground control stuff - red and gold
brakes - red, but a completely different red
and the links - purply blue with way too many sparkles

*But color coordination does not a fast (or should I say beastly handling) car make.* The car corners flat, with some oversteer instead of understeering, and it's tastefully lowered, with it's nose out of the air, so I am very happy :D. But should have gotten the enkei links.

but it would look good which counts for something :p
eventually i would love to get all the susp and handling bits on mine like you have on yours :rolleyes: .... one day

Johnybeas
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
they don't look too far off in the picture I'm sure in person it's different. I'm not sure which links I'm going for yet. I have the same set up it's just not on the ground right now still dealing with too much other crap. Any pics of your car on the coilovers yet??

P.S. I powdercoated my springs black I didn't want any red on my car :S

icingdeath88
12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Any pics of your car on the coilovers yet??

It barely looks different. Just a bit lower than stock and a bit more in the front. Too low makes for sh***y handling and scraping on speed bumps for no reason.