Until today I was the proud owner of this SVX:

Year: 1997
Trim: LSi
Drive: AWD
Color: Brilliant Red
Mileage: 103,XXX
Manufacture Date: 10/96
VIN: JF1CX8653VH100246

After painting my Mom's living room for her this past weekend, I cracked her living room window to let out the paint fumes. Staying over her house last night, I slept in the basement bedroom. During the night, while we slept, a burglar climbed through the living room window. My belongings were in the living room and the burglar helped himself to them; Laptop, wallet, backpack, cell phone, house keys, and the keys to the SVX. Then he exited out the back door and drove off in my car. I only had the thing for 2 weeks.

The detectives think they will recover the car as they believe it wasn't the primary target. This wasn't a professional burglar, just someone looking for valuable items to steal & sell. The SVX is a distinctive and rare car, and as such doesn't have a huge aftermarket/chop shop demand. A brillant red SVX isn't exactly a discreet getaway vehicle. Anyone with a brain would dump it as soon as they got a good distance away.

I'm in Linden NJ. If anyone out there spots the car, get's offered a "deal", or sees this car being offered online (hey, crazier things have happened), please contact the NJ State Police immediately. You can also PM me.

Thanks, everyone. Be safe,

Jim

tiv0
11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Very sorry to hear. :(
We'll all be sure to keep an eye out.

Best of luck

Subix
11-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I know you have to be sick to your stomach.
Man, that sucks :( I'm sorry.

Tim
11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Do you have a pic of the car?

TomsSVX
11-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Will keep eyes open... and crow bar ready

Tom

SubaRyu
11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Very sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll find it soon without any damage. SVX is a very rare car, it could be easy for them to find your SVX rather than finding somebody's Camry.

Alex-svx
11-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Ohh thats sucks to hear so bad news:(. I really hope you get the car back in good shape.

Whis you all the best to find it again.

kwren
11-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Do you have a pic of the car?

All red svx's look about the same...

Keith

svxcentric
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM
All red svx's look about the same...

Keith

Yup. Take a pic from 97 SVX brochure and that's pretty much it. It was dead stock with a wing except for some window tint.

Any pics I had were on my phone and laptop. They were taken too.

@TomsSVX
...if I had caught that SOB in my Mom's house a crowbar would have been too kind.

Jim

ensteele
12-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I am sorry to hear that. I hope they catch those dim rods! :mad: :mad:

sicksubie
12-01-2009, 06:32 AM
I hope they catch those dim rods! :mad: :mad:

Is a 'dim rod' a unique kind of villain that they have out in the Pacific Northwest? ;):tongue:

NeedForSpeed
12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Waiting to hear some good news

Green1995SVX
12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Is a 'dim rod' a unique kind of villain that they have out in the Pacific Northwest? ;):tongue:

Speaking of the pacific northwest, i hope it doesn't go the way of that laguna blue in the police chase!

Green1995SVX
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Speaking of this. Someone broke into my SVX last night and stole my registration, insurance, and service records (why?) out of the glove box.

I have been bugging the city to replace the burned out street lamp in front of my house for a year. Today I called and demanded that they do it. They told me that if I buy the light bulb, they'll come out and replace it. Isn't that what my taxes are for? ugh.

Mike

NeedForSpeed
12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Speaking of this. Someone broke into my SVX last night and stole my registration, insurance, and service records (why?) out of the glove box.

I have been bugging the city to replace the burned out street lamp in front of my house for a year. Today I called and demanded that they do it. They told me that if I buy the light bulb, they'll come out and replace it. Isn't that what my taxes are for? ugh.

Mike

Mike,
Someone 'higher up' in the ring may be interested in your car, after seeing the records. Watch out, they may be after your car next. Be careful please!

Green1995SVX
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Mike,
Someone 'higher up' in the ring may be interested in your car, after seeing the records. Watch out, they may be after your car next. Be careful please!

It was my crappy svx, though. I keep my nice one locked up in the garage. If someone wants the ugly one that bad, they can have it!

svxcess
12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Speaking of the Pacific Northwest, i hope it doesn't go the way of that 1994 Laguna blue in the police chase!

The break-in, and pursuit can be found HERE (http://www.kirotv.com/video/5062998/index.html)

The ending to the chase can be found HERE (http://www.kirotv.com/video/5060277/index.html)

NeedForSpeed
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
It was my crappy svx, though. I keep my nice one locked up in the garage. If someone wants the ugly one that bad, they can have it!

Okay, that's better news, it still sucks though, the personal stuff lost and all.

NeedForSpeed
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
The break-in, and pursuit can be found HERE (http://www.kirotv.com/video/5062998/index.html)

The ending to the chase can be found HERE (http://www.kirotv.com/video/5060277/index.html)

I can't get my SVX started that fast with a key

Green1995SVX
12-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I can't get my SVX started that fast with a key

HAHAH!

Here's another link:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28768

svxcentric
12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Waiting to hear some good news

I'd like to give some good news but nothing from the police yet.

We're at about the 55 hour mark from the car being stolen. Statistics say that cars that are recovered are usually found within 72 hours of being stolen. After that the chances of recovery drop off significantly.

I'm going to fax a flyer around to all the body shops, junk yards, towing companies, etc. in the area. The more people that are aware, the better.

BTW, the plate number on the car is ZJR 96E - New Jersey

Mine is a cautionary tale, folks. Get LoJack or something like it on your SVX if you value it.

Jim

MadMaxSvx
12-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Maybe they are keeping it garaged to use it in a robbery or something, then they will leave the car somewhere.

subeman90
12-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Mike

you have got to be kidding me. you should call them back and say that if they want their tax money from you they need to come over and ask for it nicely. :mad:

Good luck to the OP. I hope you have coverage for theft.

SVXRide
12-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Mike

I wonder if the paperwork can be altered to represent a certain stolen '97?

-Bill

svxcentric
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I appreciate the support that everyone has shown to me concerning this unfortunate event. I've prepared a flyer that I've been faxing to automotive repair shops and salvage yards in my area. I've attached that flyer to this message.

I'm not naive enough to think that doing this will bring it back. What I am hoping, and yes it's a long shot, is that if this information gets out to enough auto related businesses that it might make the climate in the area such that having possession of the car will become inconvenient to those who stole it and perhaps they will dump it sooner than later. I am well aware that by now the car could be out of state or on a cargo ship on it's way overseas. Like I said, it's a long shot.

So, if you're in the position to help distribute this flyer to people and businesses in the New York/New Jersey metro area, or the Philadelphia/New Jersey metro area, I'd appreciate your help. The idea is that this is a flyer relay, or a chain. One person gives the flyer to a few people and those people give the flyer to a few others, and so on.

I'm sure you understand that my alternative is to do nothing, and that just isn't in my personality.

Jim

NeedForSpeed
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Flyer looks good. Would the Buy and Sell, or similar magazines print that for you? Small newspapers? Still hoping for a good outcome.

svxcentric
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Flyer looks good. Would the Buy and Sell, or similar magazines print that for you? Small newspapers? Still hoping for a good outcome.
I'm not sure if I can get an ad in those publications in a short time, but I can try. Right now I'm in the process of getting in touch with a friend of mine who is a reporter for a small local newspaper. Maybe I'll get more ideas.

NeedForSpeed
12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure if I can get an ad in those publications in a short time, but I can try. Right now I'm in the process of getting in touch with a friend of mine who is a reporter for a small local newspaper. Maybe I'll get more ideas.

That's what I'm talking about :)

Sean486
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Is this the 97 that was for sale in Reading PA a few months ago? If it is, it's a real shame, it was in very nice shape and was well taken care of by the previous owner. I hope you recover it. That really sucks.

svxcentric
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Is this the 97 that was for sale in Reading PA a few months ago?

Yes, it is the very same one. It was in great shape. Believe me, I'm sick about this, which is why I want to do whatever I can to recover it.

As of last night I have a group of friends covering South Jersey/Jersey Shore with the flyer. One of them works for UPS and is going to distribute the flyer to the truck drivers. Another friend is a teacher at Rutgers and will get the word out there. The Jackson outlet mall near Six Flags will be covered.

I hope this won't affect any of the cars that Tom of "All We'll Drive" has around. I apologize in advance if you get hassled, Tom.

In North Jersey I've got my friend's retired father in Union City covering the auto shops there and in Jersey City & North Bergen. He has lots of time on his hands and lives for this stuff. He's also a HAM radio operator and is putting the word out.

I faxed about 15-20 places yesterday and will continue my effort today. I'm setting up a computer at home to fax automatically while I am at work.

If the theory holds that everyone on the planet is only separated by 6 people, then the person with my car is bound to hear that it is being actively sought. The best thing for that person to do would be to abandon it where it can be recovered.

We'll see if this viral approach gets results. If nothing else, it feels better than doing nothing at all.

Sean486
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah I bought some rims off the previous owner and while I was there I looked it over pretty good (although I didn't drive it). It was a very nice car, I am very sorry to hear about this. I hope it turns up for you, and hopefully no worse for the wear.

NeedForSpeed
12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Is it possible to email a picture of the car with VIN to the many law enforcement agencies? Do they all have computers in their cars that could pull up an actual picture?

TomsSVX
12-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I live in Jersey City and work in Fairview. If I can find it be sure I will let you know

Tom

ensteele
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
If it makes its way over here, I will let you know as well. :o

NeedForSpeed
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
If it makes its way over here, I will let you know as well. :o

The National SVX DRAGNET at work :cool:,
I hope it is found in good condition, probably hiding in someone's garage locally.

svxcentric
12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Is it possible to email a picture of the car with VIN to the many law enforcement agencies? Do they all have computers in their cars that could pull up an actual picture?

They all have computers in the cruisers in NJ & NY. I dont know if they can pull up a picture of the car. Usually they go by the license plate here. NJ and NY cops have a pretty impressive computer system at their disposal which automatically takes digital photos of plates as they are driving and runs the number through a database for a hit - outstanding tickets, bad registration, warrants, stolen, etc. It only takes a fraction of a second for the info to come up.

The only thing is that the technology is not on every car. For the most part it has to be up to an alert police officer to spot the car and run the plate. They could literally pull up beside a cop in my car and if they don't look shady, they won't get pulled.

NeedForSpeed
12-03-2009, 08:12 PM
They all have computers in the cruisers in NJ & NY. I dont know if they can pull up a picture of the car. Usually they go by the license plate here. NJ and NY cops have a pretty impressive computer system at their disposal which automatically takes digital photos of plates as they are driving and runs the number through a database for a hit - outstanding tickets, bad registration, warrants, stolen, etc. It only takes a fraction of a second for the info to come up.

The only thing is that the technology is not on every car. For the most part it has to be up to an alert police officer to spot the car and run the plate. They could literally pull up beside a cop in my car and if they don't look shady, they won't get pulled.

Right, that's why I was asking if you sent a picture, enforcement sees the picture, a picture is worth a thousand words. Might be worth asking? I doubt the car would be on the road with your plates.

Motorsport-SVX
12-04-2009, 12:45 AM
that blows
but thats why I have my mobile theft deterrant..
protection at its best :)

MadMaxSvx
12-04-2009, 06:58 AM
I hope the cops knows what an SVX looks like.. :rolleyes:

svxcentric
12-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Right, that's why I was asking if you sent a picture, enforcement sees the picture, a picture is worth a thousand words. Might be worth asking? I doubt the car would be on the road with your plates.

I will drop some flyers by the police departments in my area and see if there is a place online I can upload a photo for the state police. Thanks for the idea.

svxcentric
12-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I made a special flyer for police departments. I faxed it to the police in my town and all the neighboring towns as well as the NJ state police and the local branch of the Fraternal Order of Police. They now have a picture of a car to look at. In the police flyer I point out the fact that there were not many on the road and that it was easy to spot being the only car with the wraparound glass and the "window-within-a-window" side glass. I asked that the flyer be distributed in briefings.

The fax "carpet bombing" continues. We're up to over 500 flyers faxed now just by me. I don't know how many others have been distributed by my friends but we'll be in the 1K range by the end of the weekend.

From the Yahoo group there was a report of a red SVX spotted up in Randolph, NJ near Millbrook and Sussex but no other ID. I'll make sure the police up there get a flyer.

Jim

Hondasucks
12-04-2009, 01:49 PM
How many does this make now on the network that have been stolen? I heard some strange noises outside last night, thought someone was messing with my car but luckily (for them) nobody was.... I've got a free piece of lead for anyone who tries to steal my car :lol::lol:

NeedForSpeed
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I made a special flyer for police departments. I faxed it to the police in my town and all the neighboring towns as well as the NJ state police and the local branch of the Fraternal Order of Police. They now have a picture of a car to look at. In the police flyer I point out the fact that there were not many on the road and that it was easy to spot being the only car with the wraparound glass and the "window-within-a-window" side glass. I asked that the flyer be distributed in briefings.

The fax "carpet bombing" continues. We're up to over 500 flyers faxed now just by me. I don't know how many others have been distributed by my friends but we'll be in the 1K range by the end of the weekend.

From the Yahoo group there was a report of a red SVX spotted up in Randolph, NJ near Millbrook and Sussex but no other ID. I'll make sure the police up there get a flyer.

Jim

That's what I'm talking about :D Grand theft auto, he should have swiped a Camry.

svxpert
12-04-2009, 02:45 PM
I'll be on the lookout also here in south jersey. Back in the day, svx sightings were common, almost every day. i havent seen one (other than the one im working on in my shop) for months. chances are, someone is holding it up and dismantalling it. being its a rare car and red in color, would be suicide for someone to drive it. hopefully you will get it back in one piece. keep us posted...

michael
12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I see you hit craigslist, I was going to suggest that.

NeedForSpeed
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe it's parked in a garage, and he goes out every night and stares at it?
That's what I do :)

Green1995SVX
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Maybe it's parked in a garage, and he goes out every night and stares at it?
That's what I do :)

Same here!

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh448/halfwindows/IMG_3127.jpg

svxcentric
12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't know if my efforts had anything to do with it, but when I got home from work there was a message that the Elizabeth, NJ Police Department had recovered my car. Elizabeth NJ, is one of the towns right next to Linden. I grew up in Elizabeth.

I have no idea what condition it is in. I was told that the detectives will process the car for fingerprints and evidence tomorrow. After they are done with processing, I'm guessing that they will let me have it back. Then I'll assess the damage and start the repairs...I'm sure there will be repairs.

Now I just have to call off the dogs and create another flyer which says it was found. Gotta fax it to everyone that I faxed before.

LoJack is about to get a new customer.

Thanks everyone for the support. I'll keep you posted.

Jim

1986nate
12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know if my efforts had anything to do with it, but when I got home from work there was a message that the Elizabeth, NJ Police Department had recovered my car. Elizabeth NJ, is one of the towns right next to Linden. I grew up in Elizabeth.

I have no idea what condition it is in. I was told that the detectives will process the car for fingerprints and evidence tomorrow. After they are done with processing, I'm guessing that they will let me have it back. Then I'll assess the damage and start the repairs...I'm sure there will be repairs.

Now I just have to call off the dogs and create another flyer which says it was found. Gotta fax it to everyone that I faxed before.

LoJack is about to get a new customer.

Thanks everyone for the support. I'll keep you posted.

Jim

Very good news even if you don't know the condition. Just hope and pray that possibly nothing is wrong with it. And don't think for a second that your efforts didn't make a difference or help. Some people just sit back and wait for the Police to find it.

Blacky
12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Excellent news. With luck there may be no damage, just the ignition.

Wikedjuggalo
12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Glad to see you were able to recover the car. I mean it is a pretty unique one so shouldn't have been hard to spot. I just hope the damage isn't too bad.

Green1995SVX
12-04-2009, 05:33 PM

They stole his car keys.

Blacky
12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Ah. Perhaps zero damage then.

NeedForSpeed
12-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Perhaps the thief crashed our network, realized there was a huge DRAGNET after the car, and gave it up? You bet all the work and the concern paid off :D

Hoping for even more good news :)

michael
12-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I heard they found it in the back of here
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/subarusvxlsl/pizzaland.jpg

Glad you found it!

NeedForSpeed
12-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I heard they found it in the back of here
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/subarusvxlsl/pizzaland.jpg

Glad you found it!

Well, it's red, sure would look fantastic delivering PIZZA :lol:
Delivering anything for that matter :)

subeman90
12-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Awesome. I hope they didn't tow it back to the impound yard with 2 tires on the ground. :mad::eek: Check your car carefully!

ShiuludeSVX
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
It's good to hear that it is coming back.
I hope it's in good shape for you

svxcentric
12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I reclaimed my car this evening. I'm sure that the question that everyone wants answered is; "Was there any damage?"

I'm happy to say that the damage was minor. So far the most severe damage I can see (it was dark when I picked it up) is a white and gray paint scrape on the passenger side rear plastic lower rocker panel. It looks like it was done when someone was trying to reverse into somewhere. When I ran my hand over it it felt raised, like the paint was deposited on the panel. I'm hoping I can polish it out. If that's the case then the exterior will be pretty much like it was before.

The interior had some candy wrappers on the seat & floor, and ash in the cigarette tray (at least they used it). As far as I can see there's no damage to the interior.

Mechanically it sounded and felt OK. I didn't notice any unusual noises or anything. I'll have to wait until the daytime to have a better look under the car to see if there is anything obvious.

I don't know if the detectives recovered the car key or if that wasn't found in the car. I used an extra key to drive it home. If it turns out that they don't have the key, then I'll have to look into getting the locks and ignition changed. That's going to be expensive, but given the criminal knows where the car may be, I can't risk that he will come back for another joy ride.

In the process of picking up the car, I gained some insight as to the timeline of events.

The car was being held at a towing company yard. I had to go to the police to get a release for the car before picking it up. When I first went to get a release from the Elizabeth Police, I didn't have proof of insurance with me. I explained that the insurance card was in the car. They gave me permission to go to the yard and get inside the car so I could get the card.

I was let in the car only to find that everything had been taken out of the glovebox. I did, however, find a parking ticket on the floor behind the passenger seat. More on that later. When I asked the yard attendant if the detectives had taken any papers out of the car, she produced a file folder. In it was my insurance card and the other papers that were in the glovebox. I wondered silently why she didn't open this folder when I told her I needed to look for the insurance card in order to get the car released. Anyway, while she was de-stapling the papers, I noticed that my flyer was also in the folder.

Anyway. I went back to the police department with insurance card and parking ticket in hand. I presented the insurance card and the officer completed the release paperwork. I asked about the parking ticket and if I would be liable for the fine. Common sense would say that since I wasn't in posession of the vehicle at the time, I shouldn't be responsible for a parking ticket. The officer agreed with me in principle but said I would have to call up the court and speak with the procecutor on the matter. I got the release paperwork and headed back to the tow yard.

Here's the interesting thing about the parking ticket-It was written on December 1st 2009 at 2:10 PM. I reported the car stolen on November 30th at around 8AM. The ticket lists the location of the violation as Van Buren and Louisa Streets in Elizabeth. As far as I know, that is where the car was picked up on Friday December 4th.

What this means is that the thief drove it around for a while and left it parked sometime between 2AM Monday morning and 2PM on Tuesday. A parking enforcement officer left a ticket on the car at 2:10 PM. They must not have run the plate (parking enforcement usually doesn't) and the car sat there until discovered on Friday.

When I got back to the tow yard, I presented the release papers and the attendant started her paperwork. $181.35 was the cost to release the car. As she was doing the paperwork she opened that folder again and I saw the flyer. I asked her if that flyer was found in the car or if the detectives gave it to her. She replied that it was faxed to the office. Inside, I was beaming! I had lots of towing companies on my fax list. I then asked her if the police found the car or if the tow truck driver found the car. She said the tow truck driver spotted the car.

Until I actually get to speak with the tow truck driver to verify the story, it appears that my flyer faxing campaign alerted the truck driver that the car was stolen. Once he spotted it, he called the police.

That's one theory...

Another possibility is that the car sitting there illegally parked had reached the end of its grace period and a tow truck was called to take it away. When going through the towing process and running the plates, the car came up as stolen.

Either way, I win in the end. If I find out that the tow truck driver found the car as a result of the flyer, he'll get an early Christmas gift from me. I'm very grateful to have the car back with almost no visible damage.

So what now?

Risht now the car has THE CLUB on the steering wheel. Tomorrow I'll install a battery disconnect switch as an additional measure. I'll have LoJack installed ASAP. I'll change the locks and ignition (if needed-hope the detectives have my other key). I know that the factory alarm system has a starter interrupt, which is probably the most useful part of the system. For the most part I think people are so desensitized to alarm sirens and horns in an urban environment that they are an ineffective deterrent. Still, I'm using the factory alarm anyway. I've reprogrammed the spare remote and I understand that by doing this the remote on the key that was stolen will be useless. I might think about adding a kill switch.

Many thanks to everyone who helped out and encouraged my efforts to bring my car home. Hollywood couldn't have written a happier ending - and during the Christmas season to boot.

Jim

Hocrest
12-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Congrats on the happy ending. As far as reprogramming the alarm... The car has memory for 5 remotes, when programming the replacement did you hit the remote 5 times to take all of the memory slots? If not, the old remote code is still in it's memory.

NeedForSpeed
12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Since your car wasn't stolen at your house, and considering other precautions, a key change may be only necessary for 'peace of mind'. Do what you think best.

Is there any way to run a plate or VIN for parking tickets, any possible way to find the car sooner? GOOD JOB ON FAXING TOW COMPANIES!

Merry Christmas Jim :cool:
That was the good news I wanted to hear :D

NeedForSpeed
12-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Congrats on the happy ending. As far as reprogramming the alarm... The car has memory for 5 remotes, when programming the replacement did you hit the remote 5 times to take all of the memory slots? If not, the old remote code is still in it's memory.

Go through the process 5x, or is there an easy way? Please explain.
thanks, Ron

Hocrest
12-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Once you get into the programming mode, you can either program 5 separate remotes by pressing each one once, or fill up all of the slots by pressing one remote 5 times, or 1 remote 2 times and a second remote 3 times...

The point is, if I have it programmed for remote "A", then lose remote "A" and program it with remote "B" but only press remote "B" 1-4 times, Remote "A" will still be in the 5th memory spot.

NeedForSpeed
12-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Once you get into the programming mode, you can either program 5 separate remotes by pressing each one once, or fill up all of the slots by pressing one remote 5 times, or 1 remote 2 times and a second remote 3 times...

The point is, if I have it programmed for remote "A", then lose remote "A" and program it with remote "B" but only press remote "B" 1-4 times, Remote "A" will still be in the 5th memory spot.

Thanks, that's perfect :)

SSSVX
12-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Congrats on finding her back!

You're one of the owners trying so hard to find his car back that I've seen. So your effort might play some role invisibly. :D

It still sucks that you lost your wallet, laptop, money and etc. But it's really great that you recovered your SVX.

Here's an idea for your new alarm system lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Gfqnqym9I

:lol:

svxcentric
12-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Hmm...I might have done it 4 times. I'll do it again with your instructions to be sure. It doesn't take long to do so there's no harm in getting trying again. Thanks for the tip!

svxcentric
12-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Since your car wasn't stolen at your house, and considering other precautions, a key change may be only necessary for 'peace of mind'. Do what you think best.

True, but I'm at my Mom's every day. She's recovering from cancer treatments and needs me to help her. Chances are the car will be in the same parking spot one night and I don't want to give the thief any additional help if he gets any new ideas about taking my car.

SVXyGirl
12-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Congrats on getting your car back. I would definitely get the key changed as soon as possible. I have a friend who had her van stolen earlier this year after the thieves got ahold of her keys. Luckily for her she had a spare. Not even a week later the thieves attempted to steal the van again, but the neighbors chased them off. A month later they stole the van again (after it was parked in a different spot). She didn't have the keys changed because she didn't have the money.

y2daniel1981
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Gratz on getting the car back! It's kind of hard to believe that a tow truck driver got your car before the cops did. I wonder how many cops drove by it?

And forget lowjack, get this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6JJybtqNk8

ensteele
12-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I too am happy to hear that you got your SVX back. I would do what the rest have said except I would get the system I use for all of my cars. This system has worked the best for me! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4pp9qLBSbs) Some may already know about this great system, but I want to make sure that others can benifit by it also. Good luck. :)

subeman90
12-06-2009, 11:09 AM
WOW! what a story! :eek:

NeedForSpeed
12-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I too am happy to hear that you got your SVX back. I would do what the rest have said except I would get the system I use for all of my cars. This system has worked the best for me! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4pp9qLBSbs) Some may already know about this great system, but I want to make sure that others can benifit by it also. Good luck. :)

Earl, you must buy a lot of bananas? :lol:
Ron

y2daniel1981
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM

I like mine more :-p

Subix
12-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Great to hear that you got your car back!!! Nice to see your heart take such (well paid off for) actions in attempting to and finally recovering your beloved SVX. After reading this thread, I really want to get a GPS tracker for mine now.

svxcentric
12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the congratulations and suggestions. I have additional good news.

I got the police report today from the recovery of the car. The way it is written it looks like it was the police that spotted the car. It also says that the keys were in the car.

Once I saw that the keys were in the car I went right to the towing company with the police report. They pulled my file and it said "keys in office". After a short search the key was found. I don't know why I they didn't give me the key when I picked up the car.

So now I have the original key back, which is a great relief since I wasn't looking forward to the cost of re-keying the car. All it needs now is a good cleaning of the interior to be back to where it was before the theft.

Oh, the scrape I mentioned did polish out with some rubbing compound and about 2 hours of work. You'd never know there was anything there.

I just have to deal with the parking ticket and the insurance company then case closed on this chapter. As far as the house burglary, the detective I talked to said that the Elizabeth police have a suspect in custody which may be the one that did the crime. He's wanted in at least 4 other towns for crimes, all of which fit the same description. Elizabeth cops caught him in a stolen car.

It would be sweet if I get a bit of justice plus my car, but we'll see. In the meantime, protect your SVXes and be safe.

NeedForSpeed
12-10-2009, 01:41 PM
That's the start of a Merry Christmas, and the good news I hoped to hear :),
take care, Ron