PDA

View Full Version : power light?

mak
06-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Should the power light come on when the ignition is turned on? I just bought a beautiful "97 and I tried to call up the transmission codes unsuccessfully. I've never seen the power light come on at all! Please help while my car is still under warranty. Thanks

picklesbitch
06-01-2001, 07:11 PM
Did you get an owner's manual with the car? This has a lot of info about the car you may find useful, like if the power light is supposed to come on when you start the car. If you didn't get one, do a search, and you will be able to find the phone number for S.O.A. (Subaru of America). Call them and they will send you one free. I'd tell you about the light, but I don't remember. I don't drive my car very often any more. You also might be able to do a search on "Power light".

FlagstaffSVX
06-02-2001, 01:21 AM
For redundancy's sake I'll be the first to say the the Power light Does come on when the engine is started. (along with just about every other light on the dash, "oooo... mommy? can i play with the christmas tree lights?") It is my opinion that the Green Power light is a very good complimentary color to the "faded green" illumination and orange needles.

Aredubjay
06-03-2001, 01:28 PM
I'm not positive -- This would be a question for Larry III, who has a '97 -- but, I think the power light was disabled on the 96/97 MY's. Not the function, mind you, but the light. Seems like I've heard that before. Ask Larry to be sure.

Seraph
06-04-2001, 08:56 PM
Don't worry about it till it blinks. Mine is blinking 16 times and I am slightly worried. I am smelling trans fluid burning as well.
=(
Lwin

picklesbitch
06-04-2001, 09:25 PM
Are you sure it's trans. fluid? The SVX has a habit of leaking oil from the front seals, draining down under the engine onto the exhaust. Minor leakage makes great(?) smell! Good luck,
Mike

Aredubjay
06-04-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I'm not positive -- This would be a question for Larry III, who has a '97 -- but, I think the power light was disabled on the 96/97 MY's. Not the function, mind you, but the light. Seems like I've heard that before. Ask Larry to be sure.

Actually, though, it would have to be, at least, connected to send tranny codes. Hmmm. Larry, enlighten us.

Aredubjay
06-04-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Seraphim
Don't worry about it till it blinks. Mine is blinking 16 times and I am slightly worried. I am smelling trans fluid burning as well.
=(
Lwin

One place to look for a tranny fluid leak would be your cooler hoses running from your stock cooler (in the radiator) back toward the engine. That's where my "billowing smoke" was coming from, shortly after I got the car. Check also to see if your Power Steering O-ring (between the reservoir and the pump) is leaking (you'd see a puddle of fluid on top of the engine, behind the pump and under the manifold). And one more place to check would be the Power Steering return hose.