PDA

View Full Version : free stand coil replacement

Boxersix
09-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Has anyone here wired in free stand coils in conjunction with the external ignitor/factor ECM to replace the COP setup found on the car? IE MSD blaster coils or even a generic free stand single pole coil(one per cylinder).

Just something that I have been pondering....

SVXelerator
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Check Bob of EG33 in an Impreza fame

TomsSVX
09-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Has anyone here wired in free stand coils in conjunction with the external ignitor/factor ECM to replace the COP setup found on the car? IE MSD blaster coils or even a generic free stand single pole coil(one per cylinder).

Just something that I have been pondering....

It has been done, but no one is cooking coils because they need a hotter spark yet... I have not needed them yet and I have been pushign the dwell on them for my supercharged car

Tom

Boxersix
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah I'm just looking for a cheaper replacement if and when the stock coils do fail. Essentially something that is easier and cheaper to get my hands on in a pinch than the stock EG COP's are

I'd like to wire in something like MSD single tower blaster coils with standard wires much like how Jack LAverty has on his GC St2 car with the EG33 in it, but I know he has an EMS in the car and is not running the JECS computer anymore.

Can you just wire a free stand coil into the system as normal and not have to do anything with the external igniter pack? Nothing affecting coil dwell and the like?

Jake@FAPFab
02-14-2011, 02:01 PM
reviving this:

after studying the wiring and such for extended periods, I've came to the conclusion that the ignitor is only an amplifier.

I have a BEE-R and that takes each pre-ignitor ignition wire, right after the ecu.
So I would assume that there is no issue with using Blasters.

Though svx coils are cheap nowdays.

oab_au
02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
reviving this:

after studying the wiring and such for extended periods, I've came to the conclusion that the ignitor is only an amplifier.
I have a BEE-R and that takes each pre-ignitor ignition wire, right after the ecu.
So I would assume that there is no issue with using Blasters.

Though svx coils are cheap nowdays.

Becides turning the coils on and off, the Ignitior limits the current that flows in these Hi-Energy coils. So depending on the primary resistance of the coils that you are going to use, Hi-Energy or low, if you need to use the current limiting of the Ignitor.

Harvey.

dynomatt
03-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Not answering your question, but I've bought some EZ30 coils to try out. From dimensions they should fit, just need a bit of wiring.

That might be an alternative for you too?

As to Tom's comment, I have suffered coils breaking down and misfiring when hot. i've got my dwell set pretty low and had assumed the old (now 20 year old) coils were to blame. Legacy guys report consistently good results with the bosch option.

Matt

oab_au
03-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Not answering your question, but I've bought some EZ30 coils to try out. From dimensions they should fit, just need a bit of wiring.

That might be an alternative for you too?

As to Tom's comment, I have suffered coils breaking down and misfiring when hot. i've got my dwell set pretty low and had assumed the old (now 20 year old) coils were to blame. Legacy guys report consistently good results with the bosch option.

Matt

Matt what plug gap are you using on the modded engine?
With the richer mixture you can use a smaller gap that will reduce the voltage load on the coils.

Harvey.

dynomatt
03-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Good point Harvey...I haven't changed from the 1.1mm stock.

How tight can I make it do you think?

oab_au
03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Good point Harvey...I haven't changed from the 1.1mm stock.

How tight can I make it do you think?

Around 0.7mm, the rich mixture will reduce the ionising voltage a fair bit.

Harvey.

dynomatt
10-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Quick update. The EZ30 coils are the same coils as fitted to most WRX's etc, however, frustratingly has a slightly shorter boot with the result that it won't fit. I'm considering tracking down some conventional WRX coils with the longer boot, or going back to the Bosch HEC716 route.

Both require some faffing around which I'm not excited about.

M

1986nate
10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
You can also modify the wiring from the stock igniter to use newer STI/WRX coils that have built in igniters on the coil. I can explain further when I have more time and can post pics.

dynomatt
10-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks Nate. My research suggests the STI coils are the same as the EZ30 ones I have. All have the inbuilt ignitor.

Have you fitted them at all?

M

1986nate
10-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks Nate. My research suggests the STI coils are the same as the EZ30 ones I have. All have the inbuilt ignitor.

Have you fitted them at all?

M

I have not, but someone else has that I know of. The earlier WRX coils are a direct swap and the later WRX/STI coils fit properly as well, just needing the modification.