PDA

View Full Version : 5MT issues...need help

SVX10
09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey guys,
I installed a 2002 WRX 5MT into my SVX a couple years ago. I really haven't driven it much since then because I've had it up on jack stands being prepped for paint. A few months ago I was running it just to keep it healthy and heard an awful knocking noise coming from the engine...not detonation, but a physical, low frequency, metal on metal sounding knock.

Anyway, long story short, I pulled the transmission off to find the following:
1) Demolished pilot bearing
2) Flywheel bolts only finger tight
3) The two screws that hold the 2 parts of the flyhweel together loose also

The flywheel had about 1/8" free play for it to rock back and forth, and I am confident that this free play is what was causng the knocking sound as the vibration travelled through the back of the engine up to the intake plenum. I've been told by NVH guys here at work that the oil pan and intake plenum often sound like the location of a problem, but in actuality they just act like big speakers and broadcast the vibrations that are coming from elsewhere in the powertrain.

I believe the pilot bearing failed before the other parts because I had a small noise that sounded like small bearing balls movnig around inside the transmission housing, and it only occured when the clutch was engaged (ie. clutch spinning). I think it was the ball bearings moving around captured between the pressure plate and flywheel.

Regardless of the order of failure, I need to make sure that it doesn't happen again when I install the transmission this time. This leads to a few questions.

1) Is it OK/necessary/wise to use loc-tite on all the bolts and screws to ensure they don't back out?
2) Is loc-tite sufficient to ensure that these bolts won't back out in the future?
3) how do I re-install the transmission ensuring that I don't damage the pilot bearing while trying to get the transmission input shaft to slide into it? This seems to be a challenge as its a very tight fit and requires quite a bit of brute force

Any other input is appreciated. Thanks!

Mat

NiftySVX
09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't have any direct experience with SVXs that have had manual transmissions put in them but I will offer you some general advice. Make sure that the flywheel bolt holes are not egg shaped from the looseness. If they are, you need to replace the flywheel. Also, I would reccomend replacing the bolts themselves since they could be weakend from the looseness. A general rule of thumb: if the bolt has locktite on it when you take it off, put some on when you go back with it. I do not use locktite on flywheel bolts myself but using some isn't going to hurt anything. I always use a bit of Formed In Place Gasket (silicone) on the torque converter to flex plate bolts for a lock tite effect but this obviously doesn't apply to you. Count yourself lucky that the crankshaft wasn't damaged!

SVX10
09-08-2009, 01:57 PM
How would I confirm whether or not the crankshaft was damaged? That was a concern of mine as well. I gave the engine output a tug and wiggle and it was solid with no free play. But I wouldn't guess that that's a real thorough test.

superru
09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
make sure the holes in the crank are not wore out or stripped, my experience is that the crank is much harder than the bolts for the flywheel. allthough the bolts on the flywheel can be grade 8 or 10 still the crank wins. just check your threads with a tap.

SVX10
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
well, I've decided to take the SVX and all associated parts to Goodspeed performance here in Tempe. They do a ton of Subaru work and I feel confident they'll take good care of any issues. Plan is to install a new streetlite flywheel and exedy clutch. Then they'll fab up a nice crossmember for me since mine sucked. I hate not doing it myself, but I don't have the tools to do the crossmember correctly, and it's only a little bit more cost to have them do the clutch install. Anyway, by the end of next week the SVX should be up and running again.

TomsSVX
09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
what about the crank walk?

Crank walk = dead short block w/ an MT

Tom

SVX10
09-10-2009, 10:38 PM
What about crank walk? What is it? What are the symptoms? How do I know if that's an issue?

TomsSVX
09-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Sorry read the flywheel movement as crank walk and not a loose flywheel...:o

Tom

SVX10
09-11-2009, 05:56 PM
whew! Hopefully no issues with that. I'll know by the end of next week...