PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Removal

sith
05-31-2001, 11:01 AM
Anybody ever used any "scratch removal" products? I have a couple small scratches on my roof, not really annoying but I figured if somebody had used one of these products and had good sucess, I would give it a shot.

I'm thinking stuff like Gs27 http://www.gs27.com or others...

Aredubjay
05-31-2001, 12:34 PM
I've used the "Gs27" or, whatever it's called, with some success. When the tranny shop had my car, the cables from the pressure gauges caused some superficial scratches and they came out with no problem (ask Brian, Doug Mohr's friend. He was standing there at Reading, telling me it wouldn't work :) Was he surprised. ) I've also used it on cat scratches (no, I don't have cats. It was a neighbor's. Grrr.) It doesn't work well with deep scratches, however, I bought the kit with the "paint sticks" and they help cover, but not fill.

Seraph
05-31-2001, 12:39 PM
I use 3M stuff exclusively. It's the same procedure as waxing and getting rid of the oxidation. This is what I have posted on my forum:

When I got my car, I had some oxidation problems with my mirrors and the wing at the back. I have white spots all over the places. How do you get rid of that? Go to the local auto shop (ie Pepboys - Autozone). Pick up a bottle of each of these:
1) 3M Hand Glaze
2) 3M Fine Cut Polish (some times even medium depending on damage)
3) Maguire Hand Wax (comes in a can)

Use the Fine Cut (sometimes even a medium cut -- depending on the damage) to get rid of the spots/scratches by chipping away a small layer of paint.

Use the Hand Glaze to get rid of the chemicals and all the other stuff on the paint.

Use the wax to wax and buff it to show room shine.

When doing this, only do it in one direction and not in circular motion.

Enjoy the shine. If you want, you can use the procedure on the whole car as well.

Lwin

Bobbiji
06-03-2001, 02:51 PM
You may wish to do yourself a big favor by studying the extensive list of tips and techniques presented on the Meguire's site (easily found by any search engine). It's the most comprehensive I have found on the web. Be wary of abrasives - they could ruin your car and your whole day! Bob:)

svxistentialist
06-03-2001, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Bobbiji
You may wish to do yourself a big favor by studying the extensive list of tips and techniques presented on the Meguire's site (easily found by any search engine). It's the most comprehensive I have found on the web. Be wary of abrasives - they could ruin your car and your whole day! Bob:)

Thanks Bobbiji

Very interesting site. The name is actually spelt Meguiars though, so anyone using the search engines will be searching a while unless the correct spelling is input.

I heard from a friend their products are excellent.

Joe