PDA

View Full Version : ej crank pulley

skuby98
08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
i have a 98rs light weight crank pulley. will that fit a 96 svx engine?
i did a search and nothing came up about rs engines and crank pulley.

james

aust92pearl
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
i pretty sure they are all the same from brat to baja all years all models except maybe fiori/vivio/sherpa but they might too i dont know
i bought a unorthadox racing one off a wrx from ebay a month ago
havent got it yet but i payed half of what it cost from the company including postage to aust and all :D

sicksubie
08-14-2009, 03:40 PM
It will fit...

Hocrest
08-14-2009, 08:48 PM
i pretty sure they are all the same from brat to baja all years all models except maybe fiori/vivio/sherpa but they might too i dont know
i bought a unorthadox racing one off a wrx from ebay a month ago
havent got it yet but i payed half of what it cost from the company including postage to aust and all :D
Not quite...
Any of the EJ series will fit the SVX, but the pulley's on the brats, GL's (Leone's) and XT/XT6's are different.

SVXalter
08-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Do you need a different belt for aftermarket pulleys?

subbieatnz
08-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Do you need a different belt for aftermarket pulleys?

No. They should match the original pulley. so a normal belt be fine

huck369
08-15-2009, 06:12 AM
No. They should match the original pulley. so a normal belt be fine

If it is a stock diameter you don't need a new belt...if it is an underdrive pulley, then yes, you will need a shorter belt..

subbieatnz
08-15-2009, 07:29 PM
If it is a stock diameter you don't need a new belt...if it is an underdrive pulley, then yes, you will need a shorter belt..

Good point about that.
I dont like to use the under drive pulley.

skuby98
08-16-2009, 05:15 PM
oh yea don't use that unless your using the car as a race only. i have an underdrive pulley i can't even give it away. i am trying to sell it. but i am using a stock size light weight pulley. has anyone see a difference? or any bad things happen yet?

james

STeeL25T
08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I just hear bad things about them being unreliable, it seems like I've read about a member here who had two light weight pulleys break on him before he went back to a stock one.

immortal_suby
08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Both lightweight pulleys I got from motorsports svx are still working fine in my svx and my dad's svx. Never heard of a properly installed lightweight pulley failing.

Myxalplyx
08-22-2009, 06:06 PM
oh yea don't use that unless your using the car as a race only. i have an underdrive pulley i can't even give it away. i am trying to sell it. but i am using a stock size light weight pulley. has anyone see a difference? or any bad things happen yet?

james

James,

I have a lightweight, undersized, el cheapo pulley that I purchased off of Ebay. It is a 'Bomz' pulley. Read more about it here --> http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31429&highlight=pulley
I read above that you can not even give it away. Well, you know how the government has that gun recycling program? Consider me the undersized pulley recycle program. I will happily 'recycle' your (and anyone elses) pulley. I will PM you with my mailing address and will pay for shipping. I'm dead serious! ;)

BTW: Mine has been installed since 2006 (see thread) and I have not had any issues whatsoever.

Also, I have not shown before and after dyno results due to my SVX not working happily on a dyno anymore. On an AWD dyno, all four wheels do not turn at the same speed and weird burning smells come from underneath. It shifts and runs great so I'm not chancing any more dyno runs, hence no more mods being done.

And to answer your question, I can not tell a difference. Since I have done more than one modification at a time, it was hard to determine what the affect of this mod has done. However, on all of my other subarus, a pulley upgrade had a measurable positive difference in hp and torque, with the exception being my Subaru RX turbo. That car saw a hp/tq lose for some strange reason. Hp/Torque differences with a lightweight and/or undersized-lightweight pulley is usually linear, meaning for example a 4hp gain would be across the rpm board, rather than up and down. This makes it hard to feel a difference on the road. Turbo'd cars usually have more of a gain than N/A cars so differences can usually be felt more. I expect the pulley to help in my case by helping the car get going quicker since I have a modified cam profile, which may have slowed me down a bit on the low end.

For the record: I do not recommend undersized pulley. If you feel the need for speed and want to get one and install it, go ahead. Get a stock sized lighter pulley with stock sized belts and have fun. Good luck!

skuby98
08-25-2009, 05:06 PM
now what about a light weight pulley and a light weight flywheel. has anyone have a bad experience with them? worse driveablity? and again 3.3L engine

james

thickasxthieves
02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Now i know this is a thread regarding lightweight crank pulleys, but. Will other lightweight pulleys designed for the EJ engine series fit our engine. like alternator or power steering ones? is there any performance gain to be had from those? i ask because unorthodox racing has them available and it made me curious.

michael
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Yes and no. You have to watch which one you get. The alternator I believe is fine but the P/S comes in 2 flavors. Some years had coarse teeth and some have fine, The SVX I believe has coarse and most WRX have fine but some have coarse.