PDA

View Full Version : Viper Alarm System Reviews

Johnybeas
07-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Does anyone have a Viper installed in their SVX? Which one do you have? Is the 5702V worth $650??

That's pretty damn pricey, I paid that much for a long block EG33..... seems a little much for an alarm remote start and ability to pop the trunk.

The trunk release itself is 60 bucks. Is it better to go with something like the 5202V that doesn't have all the buzzers and ringers??

TomsSVX
07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
I installed that model into Sov13t's car. It is a really nice system and well worth the $. You can pick them up on ebay brand new for $250

Tom

Johnybeas
07-15-2009, 02:59 AM
sweet ebay here i come again!

Tim
07-15-2009, 05:10 AM
I have the older 791xv. All I can say is that it rocks and the new version is even better. It's very reliable, has excellent range (mine is 1/4 mile but sov13t's is 1 mile.) Just make sure you dont install the antenna in the front windshield because the TiO2 tinting cuts the range down significantly.

You can also get the window module add-on to roll down the windows and open the sunroof. It also has the sensor that tells the remote what the temperature of your cabin is before you step in.

SilverSpear
07-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Viper is excellent, no doubt about it. But I would chose this (http://www.compustar.com/main.htm)

Johnybeas
07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Sorry I wrote the model wrong I guess its the 5901 but can anyone provide a how to or guidance on installing th e 5901

Johnybeas
07-28-2009, 01:42 AM
anyone know of any how to's on any other sites of installing one of these that might make it easier for me to put things into perspective. I don't wanna pay to have it done... it's just rape. I'm willing to do it myself...

TomsSVX
07-28-2009, 04:36 AM
anyone know of any how to's on any other sites of installing one of these that might make it easier for me to put things into perspective. I don't wanna pay to have it done... it's just rape. I'm willing to do it myself...

Its not rape... Its called doing it right. If you cannot do it yourself then I would suggest not even starting until you can afford for someone to do it for you.

Tom

Tim
07-28-2009, 05:44 AM
I had my coworker do mine. It's not the easiest thing and you dont want to fry anything if you've never done it before due to the complexity of the unit.

Johnybeas
07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Its not rape... Its called doing it right. If you cannot do it yourself then I would suggest not even starting until you can afford for someone to do it for you.

Tom

Maybe rape was a strech, but as of right now I don't really have the means to pay for anyone to do much work for me, and my budget is very limited.

I just like doing my own work as it for one saves me money, for two helps me to become more intimately familiar with my car, it's like a bonding experience and I really enjoy it.

It also helps me to know that it was done right and that I'm not going to find someone else's mistake down the road because they took a shortcut because they figured it's not their car they don't care.

I guess it just seems like a lot to me that even with an employee discount I'd be paying 200 dollars just to get the basic system installed, anything else, trunk popper, window module, etc is ontop of that.

If it was something I could do myself, I'd feel a lot better about it that I was able to save that money for something else, and the satisfaction of pride in my work.

TomsSVX
07-29-2009, 05:14 PM
So read the instructions and find the wiring schematic for the stock security system. With those two things I was able to install the alarm system using 85% of the stock wires

Tom

Johnybeas
07-29-2009, 10:36 PM
awesome! That's what I'm talking about! Does the alarm system come with a pretty detailed instruction booklet??? I have the full SVX maintenance manual or whatever it's called. :D

nsm484
07-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't know about the Viper Alarm System.... But I am guessing, since they have good products, that it will show, in nice detail, the wireing schematics.

The alarm system we put on the old Legacy Turbo, I can't even recall the brand, but It had very nice details on wireing it up, etc.
I was experienced with wiring for things like networks, but not for anything on a car when we got it, but It was very stright forward to follow.

If you have the wiring schematic for the Stock Alarm, its just a matter of tieing into the correct wires.

I remember with the alarm, Window Controls, Door Lock Solenoids & Trunk Popper Solenoid... it took about 4 hours to get it all done, and, at the time, it was my first time installing one.

Plus... Doing it yourself, if something does go wrong, you know exactly what to look for as you were the one to do the wiring ;)

Johnybeas
07-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Plus... Doing it yourself, if something does go wrong, you know exactly what to look for as you were the one to do the wiring ;)

EXACTLY! :)

Cool I'm excited! This project is a bit down the list... but it is for sure not far. I will be building my sub enclosures running wires and installing my subs, speakers, and amps. Then I'll tackle installing my hydra. Then I'll order clear lenses n corners and I'll tackle my headlights and tail lights. Then I think I'll be good to go for the alarm system! woot woot!

nsm484
07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
.... Just remember, if you pass through Jax, Fl... give me a heads up before ya do! :D

Johnybeas
08-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Bought one off ebay the other day, just got the trunk release solinoid and installing it right now

Johnybeas
08-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I've been reading the instruction manual for my new viper 5901 it's pretty awesome I can't wait to finish it. most of the stuff looks pretty plug and play with the stock system, I have had to look at quite a bit of the wiring diagrams on the SVX service manual but I've figured out mostly everything that I've looked at so far.

I just have a few questions about a few wires so far.

1. What do I connect the "light flash- isolation wire" to it says it goes to an 87a relay it seems to be an optional choice, it looks like it connects to the switch for the headlights and to "control module" in the car. I'm confused, do I need this? what do I connect it to?

2. also the dome light output, not the ones that connect to the door to trigger but the one that is supposed to go to "the optional dome light supervision relay"

3. what do I connect the ground when armed wire to???

4. how do I hook up the led positive and negative wires from the stock system so they work on my new system.

5. What do I connect my AUX outputs to? do i connect it to the window module?? and accessories like that??

6.I assume the factory arm and disarm wires go to the svx lock and unlock wires???

7. Does the second unlock output work or is it needed for the SVX??

8.Does the first ignition wire that is on the heavy gauge remote start harness that is supposed to power the starter connect to the ignition wire on the stock harness or does it need to connect to the ignition wire in the steering column? or somewhere else?

9. What is the ignition 2 for and what are the flex relays it keeps referring to them and I'm really confused.

10. On the starter input wire it says "After cutting the starter wire connect the green wire to the end going to the ignition switch" and that it's "pin 87a of the onboard starter kill relay." Does this mean I need to cut and splice into the wire that goes from the starter to the ignition??

11.If I wanted the hoodpin switch what do I use to let the alarm system know the hood is up? are there buttons or something I could get? Or is there something in the car already that would tell the system it's up?

12. what have people used for the tachometer input wire? do you connect it to the speed sensor or do you connect it to one of the other things it suggests such as fuel injector crankshaft position sensor camshaft position sensor or something of that nature? and ideas? where is the best place to connect?? what about the speed sensor wire that's in the same harness as the hvac?? would that work??

well this is sooo complicated! but I am getting help from a friend who is an installer at a car audio place locally so hopefully if I can't get answers from you all he will be able to help me. I just don't wanna pay for someone else to do it! :) call me stingy or whatever, but it's fun doin this, even if this is probably one of the most frustrating projects so far. it'll be worth it!

Thanks in advance!

Johnybeas
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
ok so I've got mostly everything figured out. I don't know though whether I'm supposed to with the system having a remote start if I should connect the ignition wire from the heavy gauge harness for remote start to the stock ignition slot or not??? if that one goes directly to the ignition harness then what connects to the slot for the stock system? or do I leave it??