PDA

View Full Version : automatic trunk popper

Johnybeas
07-08-2009, 11:42 AM
with all the issues I've been having with parts wearing and not currently being able to get into my trunk got me thinking, has anyone gotten into looking into getting an automatic trunk popper with a button or anything??? just to give it a little bit easier open???

Manarius
07-08-2009, 02:38 PM
You mean like with a remote setup or something? That'd be even more complicated than the system that is on the car now (which isn't that overly complicated in the first place).

Gamesy
07-08-2009, 02:51 PM
just get some trunk pins :P makes it look sportier and adds 15hp :P

Johnybeas
07-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Lol there is no way you're serious. Hahaha but I just think it'd be nice addition, I plan to put a viper alarm system n stuff so to be able to pop the trunk too would be nice

Sov13t
07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Neon lights warm up the air underneath the car thus an upward flow of air is created making the opening of the trunk easier... fo sho.

But to be realistic... get hydraulics.

http://www.sov13t.com/userbar.jpg

Brandon770
07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
just get some trunk pins :P makes it look sportier and adds 15hp :P

I would have guessed 20Hp at least. Get a ricer universal spoiler and that adds an other 30hp... Hahahahahahahaha. Each decal is 5hp as well. If you get the ricer muffler its at least 50Hp...... Pur muffler..... wait never mind its not Honda so non of that stuff helps, I forgot sorry guys.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::D

Elliott
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Very easy, mine will have it. Though, I will also have the factory cable release, I will be putting my solenoid in the trunk lid since the lock is no longer there. You could remove the cable part and hide the solenoid down there pretty easily though, but I really like the way Subaru did the cable release.

I'll take plenty of pictures when I get around to doing it.

SVXdc
07-09-2009, 02:33 AM
A few people have added aftermarket alarm systems with a trunk solenoid. They attached the solenoid to the release cable just a few inches away from the latch mechanism.

There's even a handy outlet back there with +12V you can use for the solenoid. See this post (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?p=439988&postcount=9).

[ADDED: I now have a harness that will plug into that 4-pin cell phone power harness]

If you want to control that from a switch or an alarm module up front, you can intercept the +12V wire at the fuse panel under the dash. Use something roughly like an add-a-fuse and wire your switch or relay in between.

Elliott
07-09-2009, 03:00 AM
There's even a handy outlet back there with +12V you can use for the solenoid. See this post (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?p=439988&postcount=9).
Awesome, that will definitely come in handy.

Johnybeas
07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the serious answers. Once again so typical of the SVX forums, anything aftermarket that's not a turbo or supercharger is ricey. I just think it for one modernizes the car, and also makes my life easier opening my trunk. How that makes it ricey, I'm confused.

Anyway, I hope the trolls got their jolly's off calling something else ricey. Lemme get right on that fart can exhaust decals and um... oh ya ginormous spoiler....

Oh wait, that's right, I'm installing my hydra and debadging things making it look cleaner instead... hmmm weird... I guess that makes me a ricer...

Johnybeas
07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
A few people have added aftermarket alarm systems with a trunk solenoid. They attached the solenoid to the release cable just a few inches away from the latch mechanism.

If you want to control that from a switch or an alarm module up front, you can intercept the +12V wire at the fuse panel under the dash. Use something roughly like an add-a-fuse and wire your switch or relay in between.

Very useful info, I did not know that was even there. That could be very helpful.

1986nate
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the serious answers. Once again so typical of the SVX forums, anything aftermarket that's not a turbo or supercharger is ricey. I just think it for one modernizes the car, and also makes my life easier opening my trunk. How that makes it ricey, I'm confused.

Anyway, I hope the trolls got their jolly's off calling something else ricey. Lemme get right on that fart can exhaust decals and um... oh ya ginormous spoiler....

Oh wait, that's right, I'm installing my hydra and debadging things making it look cleaner instead... hmmm weird... I guess that makes me a ricer...

I think you need to relax. Its all in good fun. Don't take everything everyone says so seriously. Do what you want and don't worry about what other people say or think. You'll be much happier if you just ignore it rather than making comments like this. Saying things like this just adds fuel to their fire.

Johnybeas
07-10-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm just sick of it. I swear in the past like 6 months it's been all people post is how ricey this and that is. I honestly could care less what they think it's not going to change what I do or think, it's just a waist of my time reading it over and over

Elliott
07-10-2009, 01:27 AM
I didn't take it personally when I was more or less called a ricer for wanting to shave the door handles and some other stuff, mostly because they were just being ignorant. I define rice as a simple acronym Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements, nothing I did was meant to make the car look like a race car, so nothing I did was rice.

Some consider neon lights rice, I don't, when done right on the right car, they are great. When I see a primer Civic go by with erratically installed neon tubes that are visible under the car and wires hanging down, I'll make fun of him, but will not call him a ricer just for the neon. If I see a '49 Mercury that has been chopped and channeled go by with a very even, preferably purple, glow coming from under the car with nothing but the light itself visible, I'll respect that. Most unibody cars can't pull off neons.

Cars aren't all about being fast or looking fast for me. I got over the fast car thing a long time ago when I sold my 1966 Mustang coupe, even though I miss it every day. I didn't buy the SVX for speed, I bought it because I like the way it looks. I still respect people that throw down obscene amounts of money to make their car faster, but that just isn't for me, I'd rather have something that looks good that I can drive anywhere.

Mike621
07-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Id like more information on this, Elliot, especially if you have photos of your solenoid install. Im strongly considering this for my Ebony, as it is undergoing bodywork.

Sov13t
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
http://viper.com/P-522T/Trunk+Release+Solenoid

Here is a Viper accessory for their systems. Shouldn't be too hard to put that in.

Elliott
07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Id like more information on this, Elliot, especially if you have photos of your solenoid install. Im strongly considering this for my Ebony, as it is undergoing bodywork.
Your install will likely be different from mine, since I assume you will be keeping your trunk lock cylinder. Though, I will try to mock up something for the other release and take some pictures.

Mike621
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Your install will likely be different from mine, since I assume you will be keeping your trunk lock cylinder. Though, I will try to mock up something for the other release and take some pictures.

I like the look of a shaved lock cylinder, but I fear that something will go awry and if the opener cancel tab isn't dealt with, then I'd have a hard time getting in.

Elliott
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
I like the look of a shaved lock cylinder, but I fear that something will go awry and if the opener cancel tab isn't dealt with, then I'd have a hard time getting in.
Yeah, I need to idiot proof that cancel thing, it has already screwed me over in the parts car once. I'm probably going to limit it so it can't go into the cancel position.

Mike621
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I need to idiot proof that cancel thing, it has already screwed me over in the parts car once. I'm probably going to limit it so it can't go into the cancel position.

Exactly.

A combination of no lock cylinder, a jumpy trunk cancel, and the seat fold lock could yield a problem if they aren't all dealt with accordingly.

svxpensive
07-10-2009, 01:05 PM
My heavy wing would break any trunk popper.

newsvx
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Just a comment: A truck popper would be great, but don't forget that that truck weighs about 60 - 75 lbs and will require considerable force to force UP following the latch being released .....
Harry

Elliott
07-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Just a comment: A truck popper would be great, but don't forget that that truck weighs about 60 - 75 lbs and will require considerable force to force UP following the latch being released .....
Harry
I wasn't planning on having the trunk open entirely remotely. I just want to have it unlatch. I don't like the idea of things moving too far on their own, sometimes I have been in a situation where I can't open the trunk all the way without hitting something. From the tinkering that I have done so far, there shouldn't be anything else needed too lift the trunk to get it to unlatch.

sperry
07-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I've got a trunk pop solenoid installed in my car. It's activated by my remote starter's AUX button on the key-fob. The solenoid simply pulls on the existing release cable, the trunk lid doesn't actually move at all, as once the cable's been yanked by the solenoid it's unlatched and the trunk just lifts open.

It's certainly not "ricer" to add the ability to open the trunk via a the key-fob when you're just trying to put your groceries back there. Now shaving the lock and making the truck literally pop open... meh, to each his own, but seems like a lot of work for just a cosmetic change to me.

Elliott
07-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Now shaving the lock and making the truck literally pop open... meh, to each his own, but seems like a lot of work for just a cosmetic change to me.
Wasn't really a big deal for me, I work at a custom body shop and the car was being worked on anyway. I was already doing fiberglass work on the wing, I just spent a couple minutes on the lock. That lock bugged me from the beginning, being off center and having that big bezel around it, it drew way too much attention, same with the door handles, antenna, windshield washers and hood emblem.

Mine certainly isn't going to pop open any more than it does with the cable.

I need to get the latch out of there and do some welding tomorrow to keep the cancel "feature" from working. I'll post pictures of that, I think people would want that, even if they aren't adding a solenoid or removing the lock. The setup is really slick, but it has proved to be annoying.

Johnybeas
07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
http://viper.com/P-522T/Trunk+Release+Solenoid

Here is a Viper accessory for their systems. Shouldn't be too hard to put that in.

Woot woot, I'm so gonna get this! I can't wait for my best buy discount to kick in next thursday! I'm gettin new speakers, amps and eventually a viper system. I'm also gonna look into xm or sirius or hd radio!

nsm484
07-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Woot woot, I'm so gonna get this! I can't wait for my best buy discount to kick in next thursday! I'm gettin new speakers, amps and eventually a viper system. I'm also gonna look into xm or sirius or hd radio!

A poper like this is very easy to install, but dont freak out when it sounds like something broke when you activate it the first time, they can be quite loud when you are not expecting it.

Just make sure to give it a solid mount, and it'll work fine ;)

Elliott
07-12-2009, 01:27 AM
A poper like this is very easy to install, but dont freak out when it sounds like something broke when you activate it the first time, they can be quite loud when you are not expecting it.
Ever hear one of those 100lb solenoids from AutoLoc? Now those are loud, sounds like a hammer smacking an anvil. We had a customer car come in with those installed because the previous shop thought it would be better to install those than properly adjust the door. After fixing the hinges and adjusting the doors so they open and close like a new car, we had to replace the latch assemblies, since they were bent by those beasts and put some 35lb solenoids in it.

If you need more than a 40lb solenoid to pop any door, you have another problem.

nsm484
07-12-2009, 01:57 AM
previous shop thought it would be better to install those than properly adjust the door.

:WTF: :tard: :barf:

theres all my thoughts on that in 3 Icons :lol:

But Yes, those things are beefy, and Loud indeed. Wait...... I got it!
Instead of a normal Alarm Siren... get like 4 of these attached to the frame of your car, and have them randomly activate when the Alarm goes off.... tell me anyone who wouldn't freak out and get the hell out of the car when that started to happen :lol:

lhopp77
07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Harry

I take it you have never actually weighed a trunk?

Lee

Johnybeas
07-28-2009, 01:46 AM
I definitely want this more and more every day subaru supposedly "fixed" my trunk release issue... but honestly it popped for me once but ever since I have been crawling from inside to pop it, messed with the cancel both ways, which way is it supposed to be??? I have yet to get it to pop anymore.

I think my next paycheck will be dedicated to a viper 5901 trunk popper and window module.

SVXdc
07-28-2009, 02:42 PM
See this post (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?p=453681&postcount=8) (posts 8 and 9 in that thread).

If the remote release lever (next to the fuel door release lever) doesn't work, a solenoid won't work either -- it will be pulling on the same cable. You'll need to figure out what's wrong with your trunk latch.

Also...
I bought my SVX new. The trunk has never popped up at all. It has the spoiler.

In fact, fairly early on I thought it was mis-adjusted, because it seemed to take too much effort to open. I discovered that it's somewhat easier to open by grabbing the ledge just above the license plate than trying to push up by the spoiler.

The only thing the remote release (or, for that matter, the key) does is unlock the trunk latch. The lid will still look the same as if it's latched. You have to do all the moving.

Johnybeas
07-29-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm taking the car back to subaru this week sometime as they claimed to have fixed it, but it has still yet to work for me other than once. I also am getting a new lock cylinder as the old one is all gummed up and dead for lack of use. I am able to pull the release and pop the trunk and the latch puller or whatever it's called moves when the lever in the cabin is pulled. it just for some reason won't release the trunk anymore.

Johnybeas
07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
ok so I checked it, the wire on the pully to release it is a little loose, I don't see any adjustment where I can tighten it in the trunk is it in by the driver's seat or where would I find this????