PDA

View Full Version : RA Gear Set

Johnybeas
07-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Just a question, when you purchase the RA Gear set, does it replace just the gears in the tranny? or in the rear diff too??
Would it all match up????
How does that work? also has anyone done this yet??

STeeL25T
07-08-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm probably wrong here (I was last time), but I'm thinking it does not change your rear diff and if the gears do not include 5th gear or something like that it will not change your final drive so it should be the same. At least one of those things sounds right.

TomsSVX
07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
RA Gears are just stonger with a close ratio. You will rev it out faster and be shifting a lot more like I do in my 6mt. Not to mention for the price anymore, you could just go 6mt and it would last longer

Tom

STeeL25T
07-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm poor so I'm going with the cheapest option, which might actually turn out to be a good way to go but from my search thus far there just isn't much info on it.

I'm planning to swap out my gears with 05+ Legacy GT gears (the weak ones), they are slightly taller and I haven't heard of anyone breaking them yet, also there has been some debate as to whether or not they are exactly the same as RA gears... I think some one whos measured both show them to have the same ratio and thickness, but I don't know for sure and not a lot of other people do either.

Every other gear option is in the thousands of dollars so I'm going to give this one a try.

STeeL25T
07-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Found the thread I was thinking of. Actually says there the same as non RA STi 5 speed gears, and shows a side by side comparison of the the LGT to WRX gears. Looks beefier to me.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/transmission-awd/172268-finally-tranni-goes-boom-need-suggestions-4.html

Johnybeas
07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
RA Gears are just stonger with a close ratio. You will rev it out faster and be shifting a lot more like I do in my 6mt. Not to mention for the price anymore, you could just go 6mt and it would last longer

Tom

wouldn't it be a big pain to convert from the 5spd to the 6spd aren't the lengths diff and all that?? wouldn't shift linkage have to be modded again and new bracket for it??? correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I am remembering off the top of my head.

TomsSVX
07-09-2009, 05:30 PM
If you have hydroulic pedals, they will work with the 6mt. The X-member can be reused, not sure about any others than my own for clearances. Its just shift linkage and clutch. It is the better option, not the easier or cheaper

Tom

Johnybeas
07-11-2009, 09:19 PM
do you have to extend the shift linkage apprx 2 inches like on the 5mt? my xmember was made by avpow.

TomsSVX
07-11-2009, 10:01 PM
do you have to extend the shift linkage apprx 2 inches like on the 5mt? my xmember was made by avpow.

Your X-member will need to be replaced. The plate that crosses under the transmission mount will cause the mount keepers to hit it.

I can make the 3.5" extended linkage if you need me to

Tom