PDA

View Full Version : What tires for stock rims?

mythrenegade
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey guys,

It seems like the last time anyone talked tires around here was 2005 or so. I have a 1994 that needs new shoes and there are 72 choices on tire rack in 225/50-16 so I figured I should ask here.

I live in socal, so dry performance is the most important. I would put my priorities like so:

Dry Performance
Cost
Treadwear Longevity
Wet Performance
Snow Performance

Dry performance is most important, but I don't want tires with an 80 treadlife either. I want something that is reasonable, will last a decent amount of time, but will give me a great driving experience with the SVX.

Wet performance isn't as important because it doesn't rain here much, and when it does I likely will leave the SVX in the garage.

Where I live we do get snow occasionally, and sometimes I have to drive home in it so I can't totally ignore that aspect of this car.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Joel

Crazy_pilot
06-29-2009, 04:19 PM
General Exclaim UHP. Good dry and wet grip, low cost, 400 treadwear rating, and will handle the occasional tiny snowfall. I have them on my car, but a size up from stock (245/40/17) and have found them quite good so far. My only complaints are the tread noise and the fact that the sidewalls are a bit on the mushy side. Be advised though that as the temperature drops the rubber of a performance tire will get harder and harder. Most feel like you're driving on bricks for the first mile once it's at or below freezing.

Another candidate would be the Cooper Zeons. I don't have personal experience with them, but I have heard good things.

As I tell anyone though, tires don't compromise when it comes to seasons, it just doesn't work. Performance tires simply don't work in snow. The stopping distance for the Generals on packed snow is about twice what it is on my Blizzak winter tires, and don't even bother trying to steer around something, best case scenario you understeer all the way in and hammer it head on with the wheels cranked. Worst, you get it sideways and wrap the car around whatever is in front of you. If you want summer performance yet live somewhere that has cold weather, you need two sets of tires.

mythrenegade
06-29-2009, 05:47 PM
As I tell anyone though, tires don't compromise when it comes to seasons, it just doesn't work. Performance tires simply don't work in snow. The stopping distance for the Generals on packed snow is about twice what it is on my Blizzak winter tires, and don't even bother trying to steer around something, best case scenario you understeer all the way in and hammer it head on with the wheels cranked. Worst, you get it sideways and wrap the car around whatever is in front of you. If you want summer performance yet live somewhere that has cold weather, you need two sets of tires.

Perhaps I have overstated it when I say "occasionally" as what I mean is that it might snow once or twice a year. Last year we had the most snow we've had in thirty years, and there was snow on the ground for probably fourteen days or so. If I had owned the SVX at that time, I might have needed to drive it home once and it would have stayed parked until the weather passed...

Joel

redlightningsvx
06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I had Fuzion HRi all seasons with great success. They lasted about 2 years.

maynardg
06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I just put Falken 512's on mine. They are very nice. Quiet, grip, and they are supposed to wear well. We'll see.

Green1995SVX
06-29-2009, 08:13 PM
I just put a set of Continental ContiProContact SSR tires on my Saab. I LOVE how the car drives with them, and they seem to have gotten very good reviews on tire rack. They're runflat too, which is nice for peace of mind.

Mike