PDA

View Full Version : check out my new dash!!

stiguy
06-22-2009, 10:04 PM
a little touch up to do but thought i would share!:)

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo85/stiguy21/0622092042a.jpg
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo85/stiguy21/0622092043.jpg
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo85/stiguy21/0622092043a.jpg

Landshark
06-22-2009, 10:45 PM
is that flesh-colored? :confused: :WTF:

stiguy
06-22-2009, 11:32 PM
lol lol lol what?? lol its color code 267 its the svx pearl white and a porsh black

SubaROO
06-22-2009, 11:51 PM
is that flesh-colored? :confused: :WTF:

Actually laughed out loud.

Definitely close though. :P

Looks good, however. Though not a fan of the little "SVX" written in the little cover piece.

subbieatnz
06-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Looks good :)

stiguy
06-23-2009, 12:19 AM
i need to take better pics. the svx logo need to be more suttle i agree i'm going to redo it

McTaff
06-23-2009, 01:28 AM
I agree something has to go there, because it'll look bland without it. Couple of ideas for you.

A stock SVX logo blown up could look good - cut it out on paper as a mask and put a coat of dark grey on, and the white coats over the top if you can get it even. Otherwise, you can emboss it.
A Japanese Alcyone logo would look nice too. Subtle, and unique.
I briefly considered putting an LCD display in mine at one point as a GPS screen (not a touch screen, just a repeater).
If you have a fancy stereo behind there, you can cut out a tinted plastic door. My stereo head unit is really bright even at the lowest dimmer setting, so a dark tinted door would hide it by day and let it shine through at night (I'd probably have to turn the dimmer back up). Particularly useful if you have the door closed and use a remote control. Dark, thin plastic shouldn't be too hard to find. Make sure if you cut a lot of plastic out that you consider putting in a little bracing to stiffen it back up if you use very thin plastic as the window.

See if you can get some outdoor pics in the sun, and I'd love to see some assembled pics too.

I'm looking at recovering my dash at some point in the pearlie, and a lick of paint just like that is starting to sound like a pretty sexy compliment to the work I want to do...

Green1995SVX
06-23-2009, 05:14 AM
lol lol lol what?? lol its color code 267 its the svx pearl white and a porsh black

Wow. I'm glad that my pearl white doesn't look like that.

mikecg
06-23-2009, 09:03 AM
I'll save my opinions until I see installed pictures.

SVXMAN2001
06-23-2009, 09:14 AM
what's the process used to prep and paint these? I was actually trying to do the same thing this weekend using SEM paint products, all that was required was to clean the plastic parts of debris, apply a adhesion promoter and then apply a few coats of the paint...end result was crap (spotty and uneven)! I did it a few more times with no luck...any suggestions?

redlightningsvx
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Scuff them with a red pad and do light coats.

SilverSpear
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Sorry stiguy, I am gonna burst your bubble to say you ruined your interior.

Unless your car is Pearl White and you paint the entire plastic trims the same color, I see that this will be a mistake.

I have done my interior the same color as my exterior and its suits well. Also it can work on white, maybe burgundy and teal (to a certain extent...)

Sorry for being straightforward, but when you wear them on, you will know what I am talking about...

bheinen74
06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
ll all i can say is a porsh black is not a color.

maybe Porsche black, but yeah sorry i have nothing more to provide.

redlightningsvx
06-23-2009, 07:06 PM
This is the only color dash I like. http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/redlightningsvx1/Body%20Work/PHOT0037.jpg

AyeJaye
06-23-2009, 07:14 PM
In my personal opinion, anything looks better than the faux wood grain crap they came with. But that's just me.

SubaROO
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Meh, SilverSpear that's a bit much. It looks good really, just put a different logo there, or none at all. Someone who suggested the regular SVX logo there would be great.

Black88GTA
06-23-2009, 08:08 PM
My thoughts:

I'd re-do the SVX logo on the main piece as well. The font is all wrong. Wetsand and buff the paint on the plastic pieces to take down the "lumpiness" of the coating, and it'd look much better, IMO. From the pics, it looks like really thick coats were applied, and they didn't lay down that well.

I'm with mikecg in that I'll reserve final judgment on it until I see what it looks like when everything is finished and reinstalled. I think it could look good, if done right.

kwren
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
In my personal opinion, anything looks better than the faux wood grain crap they came with. But that's just me.

Probably true... Never heard of anyone else that didn't love it!

Keith:cool:

mysvxrocks
06-23-2009, 10:07 PM
I like the woodgrain myself.... In the 93+ models that is. Dont like the 92 woodgrain

Johnybeas
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I repainted all mine black and added a brushed aluminum dash kit, just because it fits with the flow and colors of the car, The car is black and my rims are black with a machined lip and ya.... I'm sure when I post my pics I'll get a lot of haters, but to those who have seen it in person they say it looks very clean and nicely done.

PS: I hated the ugly woodgrain.... and it's a 92, I probably could have left it all black but I like the dash kit....

LetItSnow
06-24-2009, 05:48 AM
This is the only color dash I like. http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/redlightningsvx1/Body%20Work/PHOT0037.jpg
Yoar car has falled over.

svxash
06-24-2009, 06:54 AM
I repainted all mine black and added a brushed aluminum dash kit, just because it fits with the flow and colors of the car, The car is black and my rims are black with a machined lip and ya.... I'm sure when I post my pics I'll get a lot of haters, but to those who have seen it in person they say it looks very clean and nicely done.

PS: I hated the ugly woodgrain.... and it's a 92, I probably could have left it all black but I like the dash kit....

I'd like to see the pics.

stiguy
06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
what's the process used to prep and paint these? I was actually trying to do the same thing this weekend using SEM paint products, all that was required was to clean the plastic parts of debris, apply a adhesion promoter and then apply a few coats of the paint...end result was crap (spotty and uneven)! I did it a few more times with no luck...any suggestions?

just to let you guys know this was really my first time painting i think they turned out ok thats why i said its still needs some touch up... gheezz lol:)

i just used gray pad on them and that was it.

and SilverSpear my car is the pearl with black. or going to be as right now its 3 diff colors:)

the paint i have is dupont premier. all but the radio door turned out great i think.

SilverSpear
06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
just to let you guys know this was really my first time painting i think they turned out ok thats why i said its still needs some touch up... gheezz lol:)

i just used gray pad on them and that was it.

and SilverSpear my car is the pearl with black. or going to be as right now its 3 diff colors:)

the paint i have is dupont premier. all but the radio door turned out great i think.

Hmmm. thought you were using the two tone color with the blue one.
But still, your wooden dash would be two tone, the interior is grey and the velour part of the dash is another color. Don't you think this is too much?

If you raised this question before you attempted it, I would have told you to get the same number pearl paint and do the entire dash (w/o the black)...

But still interested to see pix of the outcome.

BoxerFanatic
06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Not my taste, but I hope it turns out well for you.

I too prefer the standard grey interior pieces, or something painted to be similar to that.

It did occur to me once to possibly color match the door switch panels, and the spine of the console from the wrap-over vent, down to the shifter to the exterior paint color, but everything to the left of that mold-line, including the gauge surround to be something more muted.

I am not sure that a Laguna blue, or Barcelona Red (my two favorite SVX colors) stripe down the center console, and on each door card would be subtle, though, and SVX seems like a car that would befit something interesting, but subtle.

My question about painting the dash pieces is... how do people preserve, mask, or re-apply the lettering for the climate control buttons? pressure transfer lettering? careful masking for each word?

SilverSpear
06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Not my taste, but I hope it turns out well for you.

I too prefer the standard grey interior pieces, or something painted to be similar to that.

It did occur to me once to possibly color match the door switch panels, and the spine of the console from the wrap-over vent, down to the shifter to the exterior paint color, but everything to the left of that mold-line, including the gauge surround to be something more muted.

I am not sure that a Laguna blue, or Barcelona Red (my two favorite SVX colors) stripe down the center console, and on each door card would be subtle, though, and SVX seems like a car that would befit something interesting, but subtle.

My question about painting the dash pieces is... how do people preserve, mask, or re-apply the lettering for the climate control buttons? pressure transfer lettering? careful masking for each word?

I have a theory I am gonna apply in the future, but you would definitely lose the lighting behind the lettering. You cut vynil letters to match the size and type of the OEM. You apply paint, let it dry... then carefully apply the lettering to place, then clearcoat.

Otherwise I cannot think of anything else.

BoxerFanatic
06-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I have a theory I am gonna apply in the future, but you would definitely lose the lighting behind the lettering. You cut vynil letters to match the size and type of the OEM. You apply paint, let it dry... then carefully apply the lettering to place, then clearcoat.

Otherwise I cannot think of anything else.

The thing is, if you could match the lettering, you could use the vinyl lettering as a mask, paint, then remove the lettering, and uncover the lit lettering...

that would be a lot of delicate work.

I wonder if careful work with a very sharp x-acto to cut the paint, or a very tiny fine-grit abrasive burr, with a bright light behind the panel, if one could cut or sand down the paint to uncover the lettering, using the bright light to shine the lettering through the paint layer... I am not even sure that would work... the paint would have to be pretty thin, and well dried, so not to feather and peel.

With things like that done, a clearcoat could be applied to protect it, and somewhat seal the edges down under a clear paint layer.

Alsa has some very interesting paints, including soft-touch clearcoats, similar to newer interiors. They also have vinyl overlays, and all sorts of stuff.
http://alsacorp.com/paints.htm

I am thinking about something like that, as the OE soft-touch paint is wearing off in my 05 Legacy's interior...

SilverSpear
06-24-2009, 10:34 AM
The thing is, if you could match the lettering, you could use the vinyl lettering as a mask, paint, then remove the lettering, and uncover the lit lettering...

that would be a lot of delicate work.

I wonder if careful work with a very sharp x-acto to cut the paint, or a very tiny fine-grit abrasive burr, with a bright light behind the panel, if one could cut or sand down the paint to uncover the lettering, using the bright light to shine the lettering through the paint layer... I am not even sure that would work... the paint would have to be pretty thin, and well dried, so not to feather and peel.

With things like that done, a clearcoat could be applied to protect it, and somewhat seal the edges down under a clear paint layer.

Alsa has some very interesting paints, including soft-touch clearcoats, similar to newer interiors. They also have vinyl overlays, and all sorts of stuff.
http://alsacorp.com/paints.htm

I am thinking about something like that, as the OE soft-touch paint is wearing off in my 05 Legacy's interior...

What you are saying is next to impossible. You cannot cover only the lettering then remove it. The paint would 'swallow' the covering because of its small size...

But there is no harm in trying if you are up to it.

BoxerFanatic
06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Just hypothetical... I don't even have an SVX to try it on... and even then I would probably only try it on a spare panel, and keep one original.

SilverSpear
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
You know, I just got a bulb over my head concerning this... will need some careful work, but highly doable... :rolleyes:

laserx
06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
My son has my old 92 perlie, that I bad butchered with the stick on brushed aluminum. He took that stuff off and redid the interior pearl white and it looks fantastic along with the custom skins on the seats. I know he's taken pictures of his new interior, when I get home I'll have him post them. He converted it to a 5 speed and added a start button where the lighter used to be. Wait till you see the pictures.

SilverSpear
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
...and added a start button where the lighter used to be...

Damn you beat me to it...

This will be mine:

Dodge (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390054195813&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ebayphotohosting)

Johnybeas
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see the pics.
here ya go...

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/Johnybeas/dashkit5.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/Johnybeas/dashkit3.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/Johnybeas/dashkit1.jpg

crazyhorse
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
A few quick opinions from me, and I'll check in later for finished pics.

DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions. They are in no way meant to belittle anyone's hard work.

First, I think the pearl white/black combo will look awesome in your Pearlie. Especially if your interior is grey.

Next, your pics look a like the color balance MAY be off a touch :)

Yet another, IMHO if you have a tan interior, the best possibilitiy is either Piano Black, textured grey (Ala '92), or bright metallic silver.

Finally, I REALLY dislike the appliques. There's no real convincing way to make them look like anything other than what they are, fancy stickers.

A thought for preserving the climate control lighting. Mask the area with the buttons, prime the rest, then throw on your first coat(s). unmask the button area, then lay your last coat, and any clear. The thinner layer of paint SHOULD let the light bleed through. If you wanted, you could mod the control to have the lights on all the time. In direct sunlight they'll wash out though.
I did something similar on a car once....I used tinted lexan, and covered the instrument panel, painting a mask on the back where the guages weren't. I wired the dash lights to the iggy switch, and the effect was COOL. Totally black dash when the key was off ...brightly lit guages when it was on.

dannmarr
06-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I also did my dash with silver overlay. I hate it, It looks cheesy. It's clean and better than stock but it would have been nicer if painted instead. MM MM....My next project.:rolleyes: I have fake leather on the dash instead of that swede stuff. Nice improvement IMO.

Crazy_pilot
06-25-2009, 07:04 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/Johnybeas/dashkit5.jpg

Oh god the horror. I'm sorry, but that's terrible. There are few things that look worse than a stick on dash kit. They look so cheap, tacky, and well, glued on. The bright fake aluminum colour just draws more attention to it, then when you see the original colour behind the edges....(especially woodgrain)...just bad.

Paint it, or leave it alone. I'm personally a fan of piano black with (real) brushed aluminum accents.

SVXyGirl
06-25-2009, 07:52 PM
The only dash I like...and it is stock!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/red%20svx/IMG_6965.jpg

I think it's great when someone experiments with the woodgrain. I'm trying to think of a way to get rid of the crappy woodgrain in my 92 without making it look like crap. Anyone have some of the same dash pieces for sale in the picture above? :lol:

SVXRide
06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
double post...duh!

SVXRide
06-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Rebecca,

Isn't that an "L" interior (cloth seats). I also found this pic in the Photo Post gallery

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/500/SVX_28_Center_Console_small.JPG

-Bill

Johnybeas
06-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Oh god the horror. I'm sorry, but that's terrible. There are few things that look worse than a stick on dash kit. They look so cheap, tacky, and well, glued on. The bright fake aluminum colour just draws more attention to it, then when you see the original colour behind the edges....(especially woodgrain)...just bad.

Paint it, or leave it alone. I'm personally a fan of piano black with (real) brushed aluminum accents.

I did paint it before I put it on, it's not woodgrain behind it anymore it's black.

SVXyGirl
06-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Rebecca,

Isn't that an "L" interior (cloth seats). I also found this pic in the Photo Post gallery

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/500/SVX_28_Center_Console_small.JPG

-Bill

Yes I believe it is. There is a member on here somewhere who painted their dash pieces claret to match the car. I saw it at Reading 2008. Could some one post a picture of that interior?

lhopp77
06-28-2009, 07:38 PM
The only dash I like...and it is stock!

I think it's great when someone experiments with the woodgrain. I'm trying to think of a way to get rid of the crappy woodgrain in my 92 without making it look like crap.

I'm changing the woodgrain out of my 92 with that from a 96. At least the later model woodgrain looks better than the really crappy 92 stuff.

Lee

scottsubarus
07-03-2009, 06:47 AM
What are some of the opinions of the "stick on" dash kits? fit & finish, over all quality etc.

Would love to change my dash, but without seeing one in person, I hate to spend the money if it's going to look cheap.

Scott/Omaha

jdmlambo
07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
here is my dash....i had the aluminum kit and hated it, couldnt wait to get it off...

VICSVX
07-25-2009, 03:33 PM
photo shopped red: original pic by SVXRide

Subix
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
abit bright for my liking compared to the rest of the interior but I like the push button engine starter in place of the ciggy lighter.... that's kinda cool :)

Should take a shot from the outside of the car peering in....

fieronews
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM

I have the wood grain and it has yet to grow on me.