PDA

View Full Version : Color options for old rims

redlightningsvx
06-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Well since I got my new rims I've decided to refinish my old rims. They are in primer and need sanded out now but i'm stuck on what color I should paint them. I have a qt. of the Enkei gold that's on the STi rims that wouldn't look bad or I could spray them in silver again but maybe a shade darker. I'm also thinking about selling them to recoupe some costs of the new rims or keeping them for winter. So any opinions?
Here's a link to the old rims. http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll54/redlightningsvx1/PHOT0103.jpg

Blacky
06-23-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm a big fan of gunmetal.

svxistentialist
06-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Seth

Be careful of gold rims. They seem to detract from an SVX rather than add to the mix.

Mike added gold rims recently to his all-claret, which should have worked, but they were more like Mmmmmm?.

But I hold my hand up and declare I'm not a fan of gold rims. I think people have a nostalgia thing for them purely because Subaru used them on the rally cars. :rolleyes: :tongue: Because of this rally connection the Japanese have a penchant for putting gold aftermarket Enkeis on everything. Most of the time they look brutal. :barf:

Gunmetal looks great on your car.

:)

Sean486
06-23-2009, 07:06 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I like the darker sillver of the stock 92s.

redlightningsvx
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Ok I'm going to look through my color decks at work and look at some charcoal-light silvers and see if I can find anything.

ensteele
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
The darker silver (92&93) look like they are dirty even when clean. They aren't as bright. :o

SVXRide
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
anthracite!

-Bill

siceclipse
06-23-2009, 04:54 PM
anthracite is a really nice color of you want to go dark.

I vote for white.

On red cars it looks good!

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/50/l_4f18407096c240fbbc6814615244a7ae.jpg

Or you could go with the time attack style and do black with a red lip.

AppStateSVX
06-23-2009, 05:47 PM
my SVX had black wheels. loved the look of them

redlightningsvx
06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Here's the thing I may keep them or I may sell them so I have to choose a color that will best accomidate both options.

Elliott
06-25-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm going to be painting mine soon, after I do the car. The colors on the car will be a dark metallic gray (House of Kolor Galaxy Gray) on top and a bright metallic silver (House of Kolor Orion Silver) on the bottom. I'm thinking of splitting the difference and finding something in between the two colors for the wheels. At first I was just considering painting them Galaxy Gray, but I don't think that would work too well.

I'll see what I can come up with for mine, it might work well for you since you are thinking along the similar lines of a dark gray.

Mine were painted by the goofball that had the car before me, he also used the same paint on the roof, decklid and spoiler, that stuff was hell to get off. It was apparently Duplicolor spraybomb wheel paint, that is some tough stuff, it laughed at 180 grit on a locked DA, had to attack it with 80 grit. It is a fairly nice color though, a dark gray metallic, he just did a horrible job with it.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/elliott1787/Subaru%20SVX/IMGP2234.jpg

BoxerFanatic
06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
That medium dark grey wheel color might look good on a 92 claret with grey interior. It would match the grey leather, but not be so much of a hole in the bodywork, as black wheels tend to be. a Claret/Black with gray interior is not asking for anything too bright in the wheel wells.

But WOW, I would be pissed if someone painted the roof and trunk lid top with that stuff.

I tend not to like wheels that are deeper black than the tires on them, and tires never stay shiny black for all that long.