PDA

View Full Version : Intake option that would work for both NA and FI

Johnybeas
05-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm curious to see, I plan to eventually do a turbo set up, but would like to cut down on costs of redoing my intake and exhaust 5 times over. I keep looking at the tomyx intake and wondering would I be wasting my money investing in that now and then have to scrap it when I decide to go turbo??? Or does it leave enough room and is it a large enough pipe that it would work well when I turbo.

So Tom and others feel free to chime in as well. Is the gain of going from the stock plastic piece from the maf to the intake manifold, to a mandrel bent piping set up a significant increase, and would it be practical if I plan to run piping for a turbo in the future?

Also since I'll soon be running the Hydra the maf doesn't even need to be there.
so that can open up ideas of multiple intakes and such as well. Any ideas??

Nevin
05-04-2009, 10:24 PM
You may as well just go tomsvx style right now. If you want to get rid of it, I can guarantee you that someone will want to buy it. Also, if you don't go FI as soon as you like, you'll be treated to it's lovely sound everyday!

If you think you love the sound of a stock intake car... You gotta just wait til you hear this style of intake. lol It'll blow your mind!

STeeL25T
05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Or use it for now and when you go FI cut it before the bend to the fender and run your cold pipe to it. I bought an unfinished one Sicksubie made to run my intercooler outlet to.

Johnybeas
05-06-2009, 04:00 AM
well right now I have the green filter and pipe from dayle running from my maf and then just the stock plastic part from maf to the engine, 500 bucks is just a lot of cash.

I'm already shelling out 1850 for hydra and base maps, would like to get koni/gc set up that's another 1600. Plus I just bought an avic f900bt and will be buying subs n amp and will be glassing my own enclosures, and I have more summer projects that total in prob another close to 500.

I'm trying to run a mod budget, and do some of my long put off aesthetic stuff, as well as do some power mods too. Just trying to make the most of my dollar.

So how much proven power increase with the pipe change? Would I be better waiting and using that 500 on a FG hood and phenolic spacers n other small things?

taylorbr
05-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Would I be better waiting and using that 500 on a FG hood and phenolic spacers n other small things?

How many HP does the FG hood add?

STeeL25T
05-06-2009, 07:46 AM

I would have said the same thing untill I got the oppurtunity to carry a stock hood from my drive way to the garage in the back by myself. I certainly won't be doing that again.

LetItSnow
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
If you believe in power to weight ratio, roughly 1 "virtual" chp. ;)

Johnybeas
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
You missed the point of my comparison. It's not that it adds power, its that it reduces weight and I've been wanting one, and that's something that will last no matter whether I turbo or not. This intake will probably not. Therefore it would be money thrown at a temp thing just to be replaced later.

I wasn't comparing them as two equal hp investments they are two similar cost investments. I am trying to only do things to the vehicle that I wont have to do over 5 times with every different mod I add.

:)

Nevin
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
I wasn't comparing them as two equal hp investments they are two similar cost investments. I am trying to only do things to the vehicle that I wont have to do over 5 times with every different mod I add.

:)

While I can certainly agree with that, my point is that if you would decide to put on an intake, you would never have trouble selling it. You'd probably be able to get almost what you paid for it in the first place. So, some things are not necessarily bad to use and then get rid of, because they do (in a sense) pay for themselves anyway.

Imagine anyone with say, a Honda civic. Imagine they have a cold air intake, and then decide to put on a turbo kit. Do you imagine they would just consider the intake a loss when they want to go turbo? By no means! They would sell it just the same, and help recoup most of the money they spent on it in the first place.

So all I'm saying is if you want extra power for now, go for it, because it's not going to hurt anything down the road. However, I can also see the $$ argument for a "temporary" power part. For me, I didn't really give it that much thought since I just made my own anyway, although I realize that is not an option for many people.

Johnybeas
05-07-2009, 08:39 PM
While I can certainly agree with that, my point is that if you would decide to put on an intake, you would never have trouble selling it. You'd probably be able to get almost what you paid for it in the first place. So, some things are not necessarily bad to use and then get rid of, because they do (in a sense) pay for themselves anyway.

Imagine anyone with say, a Honda civic. Imagine they have a cold air intake, and then decide to put on a turbo kit. Do you imagine they would just consider the intake a loss when they want to go turbo? By no means! They would sell it just the same, and help recoup most of the money they spent on it in the first place.

So all I'm saying is if you want extra power for now, go for it, because it's not going to hurt anything down the road. However, I can also see the $$ argument for a "temporary" power part. For me, I didn't really give it that much thought since I just made my own anyway, although I realize that is not an option for many people.

I was looking at parts lol and thinking about trying to weld up something... I can weld i'm just not amazing at it. I did my pedals for my 5mt and a few other small things with the swap. It's just not my strong suit

Nevin
05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I was looking at parts lol and thinking about trying to weld up something... I can weld i'm just not amazing at it. I did my pedals for my 5mt and a few other small things with the swap. It's just not my strong suit

I'm also not the best welder, but that's the nice part about welding. The more you do, the better you get! lol

Johnybeas
06-05-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm also not the best welder, but that's the nice part about welding. The more you do, the better you get! lol

That is definitely true, I think maybe I might try that eventually, but I had a thought. If I were to cut the stock plastic intake from the part where it goes from dual to single after all the hoses go in and just add pipe connected with those silicone connectors you can get at any auto parts store and eliminating the maf since I'm going to have a map with my hydra, would this show any gain???

Nevin
06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
That is definitely true, I think maybe I might try that eventually, but I had a thought. If I were to cut the stock plastic intake from the part where it goes from dual to single after all the hoses go in and just add pipe connected with those silicone connectors you can get at any auto parts store and eliminating the maf since I'm going to have a map with my hydra, would this show any gain???

I doubt it would really help. The key is getting both banks of cylinders equal amounts of air, that's where the extra power comes from.

TomsSVX
06-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I doubt it would really help. The key is getting both banks of cylinders equal amounts of air in as stream-lined a fashion as possible, that's where the extra power comes from.

Fixed it for ya;)

Tom

SVXRide
06-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Scorpion intake FTW! (Now, if I can just find the time to get in plumbed in!)

-Bill

TomsSVX
06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Scorpion intake FTW! (Now, if I can just find the time to get in plumbed in!)

-Bill

How bout tomorrow?? I will be in the area again

Tom

SVXRide
06-05-2009, 07:38 PM
The intake is in Sean's shop and the car is at my house...let me see what I can do...
-Bill

Nevin
06-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Fixed it for ya;)

Tom

Well duh, its not like we just added bends for no reason! lol

And thanks, you're as handy as you are handsome.

Uhh... that sounds weird, nevermind.

Johnybeas
06-07-2009, 11:38 PM
scorpion intake??? what's that?

Myxalplyx
06-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm curious to see, I plan to eventually do a turbo set up, but would like to cut down on costs of redoing my intake and exhaust 5 times over. I keep looking at the tomyx intake and wondering would I be wasting my money investing in that now and then have to scrap it when I decide to go turbo??? Or does it leave enough room and is it a large enough pipe that it would work well when I turbo.

Any ideas??

If your turbo build-up consists of using the stock intake piping between the maf sensor and the throttle body, you can't go wrong with any intake that replaces this part as well. What I mean is that an intake that connects to the maf and air filter housing in it's stock location should be able to work with your planned turbo setup.

If the turbo setup will scrap the whole intake piping with new piping, then it is a waste of time and money to purchase an aftermarket intake.