PDA

View Full Version : iPod cable in ashtray?

processengr
04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi all,
I have been considering drilling hole in bottom of the ashtray, to run an ipod cable in there. iPod would then sit in ashtray when used, cable would/should be pushed back into ashtray when in use, extend out enough to connect or disconnect. Anyone tried this?

SVXMAN2001
04-28-2009, 10:50 AM
I haven't, I thought of putting the ipod cable in the arm rest storage compartment. The ash tray is a good alternative though. What brand/type of head unit are you using?

Mike621
04-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Gordon,

I thought about running an Aux input cable for my iPhone under the console and out underneath the E-brake handle so that I could stow my iPhone right in the wedge cupholder I use.

Mike621
04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
I haven't, I thought of putting the ipod cable in the arm rest storage compartment. The ash tray is a good alternative though. What brand/type of head unit are you using?

This looked like a good alternative as well.

I believe he is running a Pioneer AVIC HU? :confused::o

shelfy
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
I have the iPod cable in the bottom din slot of both SVXs. The stereo door conceals both the iPod and headunit very nicely. :)

Mike621
04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I have the iPod cable in the bottom din slot of both SVXs. The stereo door conceals both the iPod and headunit very nicely. :)

Ken,

Gordon is running a dual din unit.

shelfy
04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Ken,

Gordon is running a dual din unit.

i'll stfu now. :D

Hocrest
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I replaced my lighter with a tranny temp gauge and moved a lighter socket into the ashtray to be able to plug in chargers.

Not that this has anything to do with an IPod jack, but I will warn you to be careful when you drill through the bottom of of the ashtray. The plastic is very brittle, I cracked 2 ashtrays when the bit grabbed the plastic.

processengr
04-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Gordon,

I thought about running an Aux input cable for my iPhone under the console and out underneath the E-brake handle so that I could stow my iPhone right in the wedge cupholder I use.
Hi Mike!
You are correct, in my daughters 92 is a Pioneer AVIC F700BT. In CT, the cellphone law is hands free only. My daughter got caught and paid $100 fine, plus lost our good drivers discount for family:(
Therefore the Bluetooth capability is important for us, We have had a Clarion headunit w/BT, and el cheapo VR3 headunits. The Pioneer is a double DIN w/NAV and bluetooth, purchased in Feb. for 350 delivered. Price has crept back to $420.00
LIke Shelfy suggested, , we used the cubby under the radio for the iPods and cables, which works very well with the single DIN units.
Not only does the double DIN rule out that possibility, the front panel Aux jack is in the extreme lower left corner-difficult to get in past the SVX radio door, and accidently closing door on jack will probably break door hinge:eek:

Mike, how hard is it to run the cable under the console? This sounds like a neat idea also...

BTW, the Pioneer has a very thorough iPod interface, requiring a delicate $50 cable, but provides both audio and video, with a nice GUI.

Does anyone have an 92 ashtray to sell? I want to try to graft an iPod docking station to the lid, maybe milling a slot in the lid and mounting the dock from below. It would be nice to still be able to open ashtray (without the iPod in place that is ..) Even in unconnected mode, the iPhone set there in speakerphone mode would be legal in CT.(I think...)

processengr
04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
I replaced my lighter with a tranny temp gauge and moved a lighter socket into the ashtray to be able to plug in chargers.

Not that this has anything to do with an IPod jack, but I will warn you to be careful when you drill through the bottom of of the ashtray. The plastic is very brittle, I cracked 2 ashtrays when the bit grabbed the plastic.

This why I love this place! :D Thank you for the warning! This plastic appears to be thermoset...very high performance, brittle like glass...I will probably use an end mill to machine away now that you have pointed this out.

nsm484
05-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Gordon,

(Ignore the empty din, I will be ordering a "pocket" for her soon)

I didn't do any Drilling when I installed my new Headunit w/ipod connector, but I wanted it to be somewhat clean.

I ran the wire in the console, and have it "peeking" out by the driver's seat.
I can easily "tuck" it beside the seat when i am not using it,
and my iPhone sits perfectly in the little "tray" under the
e-brake handle when it is plugged in, and it doesn't move
(I've taken a few corners pretty heavy with it there, and it didn't budge)

The iPod connector and Cable with this headunit was pretty long, and I can easily take it back to the Center Console Compartment, and still then have extra cable to play with

Pic:

http://stuff.nsm484.com/radio-with-ipod-connector.jpg

Black88GTA
06-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Heh, I missed this thread. I did exactly that - I used an old ashtray to make an iPod dock today. I was actually going to throw away my old broken ashtray (I replaced it) but didn't for some reason...now I'm glad I kept it. I also posted this up in your thread about the Avic D3 (I installed the same system).

I milled a slot in the cover using a dremel w/ cutoff wheel, and a few shaper bits to get the slot looking presentable. I also cut a slot in the back of the tray using the same tools, for the cable to pass through. I then lined the inside with various widths / thicknesses of self-stick weatherstripping I had laying around here in order to provide as much cushioning as possible for the iPod. I designed it so that the weatherstripping I put along the left and right sides would "pinch" the iPod a little, so that the dock would also serve to hold it firmly in place, to minimize movement.

I drilled right through the back with a fairly large bit, and also cut pieces out as needed. I started off with a cracked ashtray (both pieces had cracks in them) but didn't have any problems with the material cracking further as I worked with it. The cover was broken on one side, and didn't stay on - the whole reason I replaced it in the first place. So finally, after test-fitting everything, I used silicone sealer to glue the cover on.

Pics of the final product are attached...