PDA

View Full Version : Flushing Trans Fluid

vettn
03-03-2001, 08:02 AM
What's the best way to flush the transmission fluid completely. I want to put synthetic fluid in there and need to flush that other stuff out... Thanks.

Aredubjay
03-03-2001, 10:55 AM
Well, about the BEST way to flush out the old is a
T-Tech or similar, tranny flush. Some Subaru dealerships have the T-Tech equipment. Other shops (I used a Penske Shop) have similar equipment (Penske uses the Snap-on equivalent). However, before you have any tranny flush done, make sure they're using a system that uses your own transmission to provide the circulation to take the old fluid out, and not a system that uses "the systems" pressure to flush the tranny.

As a side note, there are those who would say that a full tranny flush of this type may be harmful. Some say that the procedure dislodges accumulated particulates that may clog your cooling lines and cause eminent failure. Of course, using burnt fluid with suspended particulates (however minute) will also lead to eminent failure.

To my knowledge, however, I don't know of anyone who can actually attribute a tranny failure to this procedure.

Just thought I'd give you the pros and cons. Now, if you're adventurous, once the Yahoo database is fully available, you can do a "tranny search" -- there were a couple of guys on the yahoo board who used (for lack of more technical terminology) a "funnel and bucket" flush method. According to them, it was messy but effective.

So, now you have it. Sorry for the long post. Oh, and just for general knowledge. If you do a simple drain and fill, you can expect to drain about 6 quarts of fluid, which is only half of the capacity. You'll be adding fresh fluid to approximately 6 quarts of "rancid" fluid.

Rev Hard
03-03-2001, 02:28 PM
I would buy like 18 quarts and do a drain and fill (like aredub explained) 3 times this would seriously minimixe the amount of 'old' fluid in the lines but if you use a expensive brand (i.e. Redline, Royal Purple, B&M, amsoil) it could get expensive.............

PAUL! 'looking for someone to T-Tec in some Royal Purple Trans fluid'

..... a little on Royal Purple Oil's........
it is a little known fact that Royal Purple is the WIDEST used oil in professional Racing. Due to sponsorships people have been know to 'sponsor' others and then use only Royal Purple. It is superior. (IMHO) i think the whole thing is kinda funny but a very reputable NASCAR engine builder at ENDYN (do a web search) let me in on this. So i have to give it some merit.......FWIW

svxxx26
03-03-2001, 10:18 PM
I've never heard of this stuff! :eek:

What's the skinny on Royal Purple? Do they have a website? :confused:

Rev Hard
03-04-2001, 12:04 AM
http://www.synerlec.com/
it has all the product listings and specs and such

PAUL!

dromano
08-25-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by vettn
What's the best way to flush the transmission fluid completely. I want to put synthetic fluid in there and need to flush that other stuff out... Thanks. Did you put in synthetic fluid? I'm doing it soon. What brand did you use? What has happened to the tranny since the switch?