PDA

View Full Version : Headed to VIR June 13,14

SomethingElse
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Full course at VIR, So far I will have the only svx. A guy I used to work with says he ran with the mazda guys and they are a pretty laid back group. We are staying at the track hotel..figure about $130 bux a night. We got 4 people staying in our room so that helps out a lot with cost. here is the link to spend $435 to beat your car up for 3.6 hours.

http://www.mazdadrivers.com/09_vir_june/09_vir_june_fee_cancel_policy.htm

Here is what im taking....so far Ive got red stuff brake pads in the front and green stuff in the rear..im not a pro driver so im guessing they should hold up to fading. I have not tracked an SVX yet...guess ill do some reading up...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/photofbucket/0404091347.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/photofbucket/0404091349.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/photofbucket/0404091348a.jpg
The taillight has been installed since pic:p

TomsSVX
04-13-2009, 08:37 PM
New driver's will go throught he brakes faster than experienced ones... I went through an entire set of pads when I went to Pocono. Also had some significant fade off the straights. Good luck car looks great!!

Tom

SomethingElse
04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
New driver's will go throught he brakes faster than experienced ones... I went through an entire set of pads when I went to Pocono. Also had some significant fade off the straights. Good luck car looks great!!

Tom

I experienced that fade at summit point...that $hitz scarry. What pads where you using?

and thanks!

Mike621
04-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Now thats a horse of a different color! :eek::p

Looking good overall. Best of luck on the road and at the track.

shotgunslade
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Brake fluid. ATE Super blue or better. Other wise you will boil. And fade. Bleed the brakes after every 2 track sessions.

If you are an automatic keep it in 2. It will shift automatically only when it reaches 6400 rpm.

What tires?

Have fun.

benebob
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Brake fluid. ATE Super blue or better. Other wise you will boil. And fade. Bleed the brakes after every 2 track sessions.

If you are an automatic keep it in 2. It will shift automatically only when it reaches 6400 rpm.

What tires?

Have fun.

Valvaoline Syth. is a much cheaper and very good alternative too. We've yet to have issues but were also 1000lbs less then you are. Bleeding is the key as slade said. I'd think about mounting some stock wheelies with a decent used set of 225 r-comps as you'll more than likely need to replace whatever you have on there anyways at the end of it. Remember, slow is fast!

shotgunslade
04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Benebob:

Gotta disagree with you about the R comps. A noobie is much better off with a tire that talks to him and gives him a lot of notice before it lets go. A max performance summer tire is a good selection to start with. My BFG G-Force KDW2's were a good choice for me. They gave me about 14 track days and 8000 miles on the road before they wore out on me. Plus, they were a good forgiving noobie tire, and they talked really loud when I was asking too much of them. They broke away slowly, but even so, I wound up cutting the grass several times. At least, though, I followed the cardinal track day rule:

Keep the shiny side up.

SomethingElse
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM

What tires?

Have fun.

I have a dot 4+ fluid in there..I was hoping for it to hold up...u dont think it will? where do you suggest getting the blue from?

Got a 5 speed. Tires are Firestone wide ovals 225/40/18. sitting on coil overs, and cooled by pwr rad.

GreenMarine
04-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Give me about 6 months to get the rest of the Exhaust and pro-Tune on the STi and I'll be up there at VIR with ya ;)

~ Chris

SomethingElse
04-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Now thats a horse of a different color! :eek::p

Looking good overall. Best of luck on the road and at the track.

color is maya gold pearl, with some house of colors rainbow metallic :) thanks im gonna need it..

drivemusicnow
04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Valvaoline Syth. is a much cheaper and very good alternative too. We've yet to have issues but were also 1000lbs less then you are. Bleeding is the key as slade said. I'd think about mounting some stock wheelies with a decent used set of 225 r-comps as you'll more than likely need to replace whatever you have on there anyways at the end of it. Remember, slow is fast!

I have to disagree with the valvoline synthetic. It works for low speed stuff, but it's really not comparable for road course stuff.

ATE is a 392/536* brakefluid which you can find for 10$ a liter... The valvoline synthetic is a 311/480 and costs about 5$ for just over half a liter. the old synpower stuff was the same cost with some better stats (343/543) but I'm not sure you can find that anymore because it was discontinued.

As someone else mentioned, the r-comps aren't a great idea either. That much grip with the super weak springs of the SVX leads to corner exit wheel hop like no other. I even get it with my azenis with my SVX.

Just noticed he mentioned "coilovers" in which case he might have enough spring to hold the tires against the pavement, but I do not know anything about those firestone tires.. maybe picking up some r-comps wouldn't be such a bad idea.

benebob
04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I have to disagree with the valvoline synthetic. It works for low speed stuff, but it's really not comparable for road course stuff.

ATE is a 392/536* brakefluid which you can find for 10$ a liter... The valvoline synthetic is a 311/480 and costs about 5$ for just over half a liter. the old synpower stuff was the same cost with some better stats (343/543) but I'm not sure you can find that anymore because it was discontinued.

As someone else mentioned, the r-comps aren't a great idea either. That much grip with the super weak springs of the SVX leads to corner exit wheel hop like no other. I even get it with my azenis with my SVX.

Just noticed he mentioned "coilovers" in which case he might have enough spring to hold the tires against the pavement, but I do not know anything about those firestone tires.. maybe picking up some r-comps wouldn't be such a bad idea.

The Synpower is what we run (didn't know it was discontinued). We have never had an issue with it and have even broken a rear caliper due to heat but had no fade.:confused::D

No I wouldn't recommend it for someone who planned a track only car but for one track event it should be more than acceptable.

As for the r-comps. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead with 18 inch rims on a track. I'm just too cheap to throw away good money for pimping tires. I used set of 1/2 life r comps (though not ideal) are a better investment assuming he still has his stock rims then cooking crappy firestones of the 18 inch variety plus it is cheaper than as shotgun said summer tires in a 16.

I agree that r-comps can be quite the handful for the novice drivers (and SVXride) but for $200-+ you won't find a better tire with more predictable results at track speeds.:D

SomethingElse
04-20-2009, 05:14 AM
I have 5 bottles of the dot 4+ im just going to run that...if i have too, Ill bleed the brakes after every session. Thats something im used to doing anyway.

I havent been able to get a peep out of the firestones, GSodonis had these tires on the car he sold to me..Ive already got a new spare set of 18" falken tires my sister gave me. I plan to install them after I tear the firestones up. here is a link to them...they got good reviews and I love how sticky they are... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Wide+Oval&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=24WR8FHW&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

SomethingElse
05-13-2009, 05:16 AM
http://www.mazdadrivers.com/index.html

Time is running out! the event is 74% filled at this point.

ANY other tips for tracking the SVX?

I think I read at one point the coolant is going to "burp" or spew out on me?

Im bringing jack, jack stands, coolant , brake fluid, brake bleeding stuff, tourque wrench, electric impact, dont have any spare tires :( ....any other input?

huck369
05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
You said you have a 5-speed, so you'll have a lot more "Engine Braking" to aide in slowing down,which will help save your brakes too.

SomethingElse
06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Anyone have any input on tire pressures?

Back in the day we used to run 31 ft 33 rr (hot lap temps) but those where on rwd cars.

shotgunslade
06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
The SVX is a heavy car and you want to be very careful about rolling over the sidewalls. With ultra high performance summer tires, you want to see a hot tire pressure in the low 40's. The rears should be 3-4 lbs less. Usually your cold to hot pressure rise will be 5 to 6 lbs front and a little less on the rear. Suggest you try the white shoe polish tool. Paint a couple of stripes of white shoe polish on each tire, running from the tread up the sidewall to the wheel. After you come in from each run, see how far up the sidewall the shoe polish is scrubbed off. If it's scrubbing up the sidewall put in more air.

newsvx
06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
I have a dot 4+ fluid in there..I was hoping for it to hold up...u dont think it will? where do you suggest getting the blue from?

Got a 5 speed. Tires are Firestone wide ovals 225/40/18. sitting on coil overs, and cooled by pwr rad.

Eric,
I don't think there has been enough emphasis on the brake fluid. It is a MUST to completely change the brake fluid within six months of running a track event - and with a good high temp fluid. You need one that boils at over 500 degrees, nothing less. Different people like different brands, but read the label about the boiling point ...... One does not need the brakes to fade going into a turn at 100 MPH. Remember too that VIR has a mile straight you'll be on ....

Harry

huck369
06-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Eric,
I don't think there has been enough emphasis on the brake fluid. It is a MUST to completely change the brake fluid within six months of running a track event - and with a good high temp fluid. You need one that boils at over 500 degrees, nothing less. Different people like different brands, but read the label about the boiling point ...... One does not need the brakes to fade going into a turn at 100 MPH. Remember too that VIR has a mile straight you'll be on ....

Harry
At least he'll have more engine braking with the 5-speed....which does help save the brakes (or does for me anyway...)

SomethingElse
06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I think ill be okay as far as brakes. we plan on bleeding them after every session. I have some race track experience (crew cheif) ill notice when the brakes start to fade. Im not pro enough to put the expensive crap in.

guess ill start around 37 psi in front and 39 psi in rear and paint a white mustache on my tires.:D

starting to get butterflys :) :)

got the red stuff on the front and green stuff on the rear if anyone wants to know...guess well see how it goes.

shotgunslade
06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
One more thing. Tape over your license plates. Have heard rumors that insurance companies have been known to take pics at the track, to build their database for possible denial of future claims. At my last NASA track session, we were advised by the NASA staff to tape over the plates .

SomethingElse
06-03-2009, 04:58 AM
One more thing. Tape over your license plates. Have heard rumors that insurance companies have been known to take pics at the track, to build their database for possible denial of future claims. At my last NASA track session, we were advised by the NASA staff to tape over the plates .

Good to know...I had planned on taking off the front one, and bracket for airflow...guess ill just pop both of them off.

SomethingElse
06-14-2009, 06:29 PM
WOW! that was the most fun I had since the first jet ski ride in the ocean.:D :D :D

It was a great experience! Each and everyone of you suck for not being there....:p Its not easy being the only SVX around and having everyone asking you the same stupid questions.:lol:

what is that?:confused:

TomsSVX
06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
WOW! that was the most fun I had since the first jet ski ride in the ocean.:D :D :D

It was a great experience! Each and everyone of you suck for not being there....:p Its not easy being the only SVX around and having everyone asking you the same stupid questions.:lol:

what is that?:confused:

It is a blast. i would like to hit a road course at least once this summer. if you have ideas on when you want to go again, I might tag along and make people ask "WTF!!?!!? is that up my ass!?!?":lol::lol:

Tom

SomethingElse
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
It is a blast. i would like to hit a road course at least once this summer. if you have ideas on when you want to go again, I might tag along and make people ask "WTF!!?!!? is that up my ass!?!?":lol::lol:

Tom

I thought about going again in august..but since our cars are so friggen heavy Im realllly considering a 95-99 legacy with SVX motor swap before going back. The SVX was competitive but in anything higher than intermediate class it would be difficult to keep up.

I got spanked hard by a 240 with flames shooting out of its exhaust.:mad:

honestly i got spanked by everything the first day.:o

On a happy note, my last run..i passed a vette,charger (twice cause I pitted to check for damage),couple miatas, bimmer, and a mini cooper...spanked or stayed ahead of everyone in my group.

When your in the groove hitting all of your braking points and turn in points...110+mph on the straights... all 4 wheels controlled drifting through the "S"-turns at over 80 mph slammin apex's...its an in-describable feeling.;)

pics should be here tomorrow.

TomsSVX
06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Yea, it was a trip to be able to do things like that at those speeds. Talk to Shotgunslade, he has been able to keep up with a lot of competative cars in his mostly stock SVX... From what he has been able to share with me it is speed through the turns and acceleration from them that will keep you out in front. Oh and a heavy car is no excuse... It just needs to have more power to push that sled:p

Tom

SomethingElse
06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
I would need a supercharger...inter-cooled. And the nemisis, the things SVX dreams are made of :) ...still gotta hack off at least 200 pounds somehow. definalty more..

hmmm doing research..benebob? hocrest? cars down to 2700 pounds? is that true?

shotgunslade
06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Welcome. You're hooked. Going to NJ Motorsports Park this weekend. Taking the roadster, not the SVX. Been to the track not nearly enough this past year due to car woes. Overheating SVX and breaking roadster.

SomethingElse
06-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Thanks! I am hooked :D and way behind.

I didnt overheat thankfully but I did have coolant underneath where my battery tray should have been. It was not coming from the hose or the top of the coolant jug...where did it come from?

shotgunslade
06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Probably boiling inside the block blows coolant out the top of the overflow tank. That's what mine does.

TomsSVX
06-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Probably boiling inside the block blows coolant out the top of the overflow tank. That's what mine does.

Thats what they all do when pushed so hard for so long... Dan I am exciting to do some testing on your new engine to see if the aux. coolant passages we had discussed will help things

Tom

SomethingElse
06-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Thats what they all do when pushed so hard for so long... Dan I am exciting to do some testing on your new engine to see if the aux. coolant passages we had discussed will help things

Tom

What thread is extra passages on? Or is this "top secret" stuff? Dont tease.....do tell:lol:

SomethingElse
06-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Here are a couple shotz

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs083.snc1/5024_92173557983_673227983_2066321_67451_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs103.snc1/5024_92173577983_673227983_2066324_8261166_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs103.snc1/5024_92173582983_673227983_2066325_8133933_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs083.snc1/5024_92173572983_673227983_2066323_6207832_n.jpg

shotgunslade
06-25-2009, 12:32 PM
It is so cool to see an SVX on the track. I look forward to the day when I take mine back out, minus overheating problems.

subbieatnz
06-26-2009, 01:13 AM
It is so cool to see an SVX on the track. I look forward to the day when I take mine back out, minus overheating problems.

I cant wait to get my one running and road legal. Ive never been on the track but been wanting to go for so long. never had the munney or my cars werent running.

SomethingElse
06-26-2009, 09:48 AM

It would be even :cool:'er to have more than one out there:D...I would be more than happy to go to another track event..im really hooked on some VIR though...that place is huuugggeeeee and fast!

When are you planning to go back out?

shotgunslade
06-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Did NJMP, Thunderbolt course, last weekend in my roadster. Car isn't good in the rain, but once it dried out, it was really fun. It's a great course. A lot of variety and challenging turns. Being new, the pavement quality is very good. No concrete patches in the high stress sections of the corners yet. Try it, you'll like it.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/622/3648532347_8fd0d203b6

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/622/3648530221_5f77530ffd