PDA

View Full Version : bumper streamers

Mr. Pockets
05-29-2001, 10:44 AM
This is not necessarily SVX-related, as I've never actually seen these on an SVX...

...but what the HECK are those strips (usually seen in pairs) that some people have hanging off their rear bumpers, dragging on the ground?

I thought it was an old people thing, but I saw it on a kiddied-up Grand Am this weekend.

Aredubjay
05-29-2001, 12:20 PM
Cube, I'm not positive on this, but, I believe those strips are somehow supposed to help cut down the static in your radio reception. Seems to me it helped AM reception, so, I can't understand why anyone would use them with today's clear channel reception. Somebody please confirm this, or shoot me down.

lightning_8669
05-29-2001, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure about the radio reception thing but my Dad spent several years in Europe and tells me that they are quite popular over there. He said the thinking was somehow that static charge build up in the car was responsible for car sickness. I wouldn't know about the validity of either of these statements but he did say they were very descrete with thier "flags" and usually had them mounted way underneath the car.

Aredubjay
05-29-2001, 01:19 PM
Well, I haven't found any "solid" evidence to back up my claim, but, I did find this:

http://hometown.aol.com/autoguys

Look at item #7. I'll keep searching.

lightning_8669
05-29-2001, 01:23 PM
Now see! If the SVX had a standard trans we could all get it equipped with a chrome scull with eyes that light up!

Man, what a let down.

:D :D :D

I did place an order for the fuzzy dice, however.

Bobbiji
05-29-2001, 02:13 PM
To eliminate static charge and electrostatic shocks in dry weather you young whippersnappers! ;)

Aredubjay
05-29-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Bobbiji
To eliminate static charge and electrostatic shocks in dry weather you young whippersnappers! ;)

Gosh, I love it when people call me that. It makes me feel so . . . so . . . stupid. :D