PDA

View Full Version : latest year with manual conversion

briansvx
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone has done a manual conversion of either 5 or 6 spd on 96~97 models? any issue? please share details. appreciated!

mikecg
04-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I dont believe anyone has tried it yet. Mines a 94.

huck369
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know if anyone has done a 96 or 97, but there is no reason it shouldn't work, just might cause a CEL due to not getting signals from the 4EAT, but that wouldn't keep it from running

1986nate
04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone has done a manual conversion of either 5 or 6 spd on 96~97 models? any issue? please share details. appreciated!

If your's is a JDM then you don't have obdII and it will not cause any problems. The problem comes in the 96 and 97 model US cars because of the mandate to upgrade to the on-board dagnostics II

TomsSVX
04-09-2009, 04:16 AM
+1. If you do not have an OBDII diagnostics system, you will not have an issue as far as I know

Tom

briansvx
04-09-2009, 07:33 AM
mine is indeed an US OBD II mode. so, why issue would there be for the conversion?

1986nate
04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
mine is indeed an US OBD II mode. so, why issue would there be for the conversion?

It is only an issue if you have an emissions check or inspection as doing a conversion lights up the Check engine light due to the removal of the TCU which has an atmospheric sensor(I believe its what causes it) which communicates with the ECU.

nsm484
04-09-2009, 09:54 AM
It is only an issue if you have an emissions check or inspection as doing a conversion lights up the Check engine light due to the removal of the TCU which has an atmospheric sensor(I believe its what causes it) which communicates with the ECU.

I wonder if someone could read the signal from the TCU and make a nice "hack" board to send a fake signal to correct the ECL Issue?

But... Other then the ECL, is there anything else with ODBII cars that would make it hard for a 5-6 Speed Manual Conversion? Because I am thinking Calista would be amazing with a 5spd :D

(And... we dont have Emissions Checks here :p)

briansvx
04-10-2009, 09:18 AM
apologie for my lack of knowledge here. what exactly is TCU?

1986nate
04-10-2009, 10:32 AM
apologie for my lack of knowledge here. what exactly is TCU?

Transmission Control Unit i believe is what it stands for-I'm too tired right now but its the computer for the Transmission

TomsSVX
04-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I wonder if someone could read the signal from the TCU and make a nice "hack" board to send a fake signal to correct the ECL Issue?

But... Other then the ECL, is there anything else with ODBII cars that would make it hard for a 5-6 Speed Manual Conversion? Because I am thinking Calista would be amazing with a 5spd :D

Not that simple I am afraid. It is a data signal sent from the TCU to the ECU. It caries dependent upon conditions. So it would need to say the right things at the right time. The only real way to keep the CEL from comming up is if the ECU was re-flashed to rid it of the need for the signal.

Tom

shelfy
04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
i can has manual transmission?

SSSVX
04-10-2009, 11:25 PM
how did you get an SVX in Taiwan? import from US? What year and color is yours? Same driving side in Taiwan, correct? :)

briansvx
04-11-2009, 01:21 AM
so, anyonw know the root fix to the issue? I mean I really want to convert it to 6spd in the near future even with DCCS system if possible..

a student who studied abroad brought it back year ago. It's a 96 with less than 60k miles in black.

briansvx
04-11-2009, 02:13 AM
I meant DCCD... but before anything, the CEL issue has to be resolved...

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 06:35 AM

1996 swap here just finished and waiting for drive shaft... starts and runs great. Check engine light is still on though.. Any one know how to disable that or is that something I'll have to deal with?
Huck369's write-up for cable driven swap is MUCH recommended no matter the year... Mine is the 1996 LSI model and so far there are no problems. Maybe after all is done and figured out, I can get him to update his write up to include any thing that is different for the 96~97 cars. (How bout it Huck? ;):D) lol

:)If any one is interested here is a link to the pics of my swap.:)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=193906596&albumId=1836535

There are many different ways to fabricate every thing. Mine is just done out of the convenience of the parts I had available. Any good welder and mechanic can design their own things with out any problems. I had a full donor car to cut up and use what ever I wanted to. If your not mechanically inclined or know how to weld then replace your tranny with stock or take it to some one who can. :D:D:p:lol:

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 06:40 AM

Nor do I have them here. LOL Good thing cuz I would have been screwed since I didn't know I wouldn't pass until now lol

1986nate
04-12-2009, 06:40 AM
The check engine light will always be on for 96/97 because with obdII there is constant communication between the ECU and TCU and since you remove the TCU for the swap, there is no signal causing it to light up.

And yes, the obdI and obdII harnesses are going to be different

huck369
04-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Maybe after all is done and figured out, I can get him to update his write up to include any thing that is different for the 96~97 cars. (How bout it Huck? ;):D) lol

Sure, just get me a list of any differences and I'll see what I can do...

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Sure, just get me a list of any differences and I'll see what I can do...

So far there looks like there aren't really any except the four prong pug at shifter but I have to confirm this later today. Sorry for incorrect info on things.

briansvx
04-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Is the entire tower strut bar self made?

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Is the entire tower strut bar self made?

No i did not make the entire thing. Only items painted red I fabricated. That bar was a bar that some one I knew had that did not have the brackets for it so I made my own. I figured it was easy and cheap upgrade and it turned out nice.:D

TomsSVX
04-12-2009, 09:42 AM
You can make a jumper harness to run an OBDI ECU in an OBDII car. It takes a lot of time and some ECU connectors along with an OBDII ECU for parts to make it though. I have one here, but it is not for sale

Tom

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 10:07 AM
You can make a jumper harness to run an OBDI ECU in an OBDII car. It takes a lot of time and some ECU connectors along with an OBDII ECU for parts to make it though. I have one here, but it is not for sale

Tom

No reason for me to since I have no smog here and don't really care about the light personally. I would be interested in the wiring schematics and procedures just for future references.

Green1995SVX
04-12-2009, 10:22 AM
No reason for me to since I have no smog here and don't really care about the light personally. I would be interested in the wiring schematics and procedures just for future references.

You could always remove the light, too. That's what I did with my airbag light since I have a JDM steering wheel.

Mike

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 10:24 AM
You could always remove the light, too. That's what I did with my airbag light since I have a JDM steering wheel.

Mike

very true... trick the inspectors too lololol

TomsSVX
04-12-2009, 10:25 AM

you would just need the pinouts.

Tom

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 11:01 AM
you would just need the pinouts.

Tom

Any one have the pinout diagrams for both OBDI and OBD2 cars I could get a hold of? PM if you do or send them to Brandon774@hotmail.com subject line titled: Pinout Diagrams. :-)

TomsSVX
04-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Any one have the pinout diagrams for both OBDI and OBD2 cars I could get a hold of? PM if you do or send them to Brandon774@hotmail.com subject line titled: Pinout Diagrams. :-)

I do, I will try and email them to you sometime

Tom

Brandon770
04-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Tom

Thanks Tom.

oab_au
04-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Tom

How about posting them up Tom, I would like to see the OBD11 wiring also.:)

Harvey.

TomsSVX
04-12-2009, 06:24 PM
How about posting them up Tom, I would like to see the OBD11 wiring also.:)

Harvey.

Will do, I just don't have the will to go searching through all of my files for the pinouts right now... ya know, Reading is coming:D

Tom

oab_au
04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Will do, I just don't have the will to go searching through all of my files for the pinouts right now... ya know, Reading is coming:D

Tom

OK, no hurry, I have no pressing engagements for the next year or so.:D

Harvey.

skuby98
10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
wake up a dead thread.
anyone found how to fix this CEL light for the TCU?
i am swapping the eg33 in my impreza and want to not have a CEL light on.

James

oab_au
10-08-2009, 12:15 AM
wake up a dead thread.

James

Is it a manual or auto transmission?
If auto, do you know that the code of the fault is?
If it is a manual, check Huck329's write up in the 'How-To-Documents' at the top.

Harvey.

yt
10-08-2009, 05:03 AM
wake up a dead thread.

James

It is a data link error code. There is no getting rid of it unless you can reflash the ECU to not look for information coming from the TCU

Tom

skuby98
01-09-2010, 08:28 AM
ok i checked out that how-to-document. that is for a -95 svx. what about a 96- svx? i haven't installed my engine yet (98rs with a svx engine).
i heard that there is a code comes up when people swap to a manual.
how do i get ridd of that code (if there is a code)?
james

huck369
01-09-2010, 04:00 PM
ok i checked out that how-to-document. that is for a -95 svx. what about a 96- svx? i haven't installed my engine yet (98rs with a svx engine).
james

ummm...you learn to live with a Check engine light....:(

SVXRide
01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
FYI,
I don't know how many states follow Maryland's guidelines, but a CEL on an OBD-II car in Maryland means you are an immediate "fail" on emissions. The machines here can even tell if you've reset the ECU/disconnected the battery recently (thus no CEL at the time of testing), so they'll send you away saying come back in a week.
-Bill

1986nate
01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
FYI,
I don't know how many states follow Maryland's guidelines, but a CEL on an OBD-II car in Maryland means you are an immediate "fail" on emissions. The machines here can even tell if you've reset the ECU/disconnected the battery recently (thus no CEL at the time of testing), so they'll send you away saying come back in a week.
-Bill

That's how any OBDII testing facility is. You need about 150 miles after a reset for it to be compliant.

skuby98
01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
yea it is to pass emissions. sooo no one has tried to tackle this one?

james

TomsSVX
01-12-2010, 05:23 AM
It is a data link error code. There is no getting rid of it unless you can reflash the ECU to not look for information coming from the TCU

Tom

james

huck369
01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
If you're installing it in another car, can you not just put in a pre-96 ECU and wiring?

Mike621
01-12-2010, 08:47 AM
If you're installing it in another car, can you not just put in a pre-96 ECU and wiring?

I think the project car was originally OBDII compliant, and stepping it back to OBD1 may jeopardize the car's ability to pass inspection if the original diagnostics are not intact.

huck369
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I think the project car was originally OBDII compliant, and stepping it back to OBD1 may jeopardize the car's ability to pass inspection if the original diagnostics are not intact.

Oh....not an issue in KY....

skuby98
01-15-2010, 07:09 PM

you got it.

then who reflashes the ecu for svx's?

james

TomsSVX
01-15-2010, 07:49 PM
you got it.

then who reflashes the ecu for svx's?

james

No one... Kinda screwed

Tom

skuby98
03-22-2010, 04:52 PM