PDA

View Full Version : I Hate CA

taylorbr
03-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Why is it that whenever I get ready to go to the DMV (to get my personalized SVX plates), it is always closed? And I won't be getting my tax return anytime soon since they don't have enough money to pay...

My employer has us work 9/80's in an attempt to save gas and have a chance to take care of our personal business on the off Fridays, but now it seems that my off Fridays are the same as the DMV's off Fridays, so I'll have to take vacation time to get my freaking plates.:mad: 30% of my income goes to taxes and all I want back is for them to be available during normal business hours (lest you think I am a hypocrite, my employer staffs some people on 10/80's so that we are still operational on off Fridays).

K_Dub
03-06-2009, 01:09 PM
+1 This place is outta hand. When I do my taxes I don't want an IOU, I want my money back. How a state with some of the worst roads and schools, the largest economy, and the highest population can go broke is beyond me. Stupid governator.

Mike621
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Not to brag,

NJ MVC, although sucking like other states, allows the ordering of custom plates online. :)

SoCal LS-L
03-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Not to mention their idiot laws regarding vehicle registration. I bought mine from a charity, and since the registration had expired... IM THE ONE who owed for the back fees of $350!!! Now im going to register in NV and pay $95 total..... haha jerko california law :tongue:

bheinen74
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
so if people owe tax money to state, they can send the state an IOU:lol:

taylorbr
03-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Not to brag,

NJ MVC, although sucking like other states, allows the ordering of custom plates online. :)

I ordered them online, I just need to pick them up :)

Hondasucks
03-07-2009, 12:38 AM
I love Oregon :) $54 for TWO YEARS, + $50 extra for custom plates. No smog nazis either (They do have DEQ in like, two counties though). And no sales tax either, plus we don't have the "back registration" crap that CA does, although if your tags expired in like, June of 2005, and you renewed them in August of 05, they would expire in June of 07, but you'd still pay for 2 years. This happens up to I think 11 months after your expiration, and then they roll it over, so like if you waited until July of 06, they'd be good until July of 08.

1986nate
03-07-2009, 02:13 AM
I love Oregon :) $54 for TWO YEARS, + $50 extra for custom plates. No smog nazis either (They do have DEQ in like, two counties though). And no sales tax either, plus we don't have the "back registration" crap that CA does, although if your tags expired in like, June of 2005, and you renewed them in August of 05, they would expire in June of 07, but you'd still pay for 2 years. This happens up to I think 11 months after your expiration, and then they roll it over, so like if you waited until July of 06, they'd be good until July of 08.

I needed to drive my cutlass after I had stopped driving it for 11 and a half months(sold other car) had to pay full registration for 2 weeks:mad: Now I know I guess...

Tim
03-07-2009, 05:56 AM
So I imagine Arnold's not doing the greatest job?

Blacky
03-07-2009, 06:14 AM
At least it's warm in CA.

JaySVX
03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Only southern CA, north gets pretty cold. I must say I hate CA too, you couldn't pull a pin out of their asshole with a tractor. They have their own retardedly strict emissions laws, disposal and recycling laws, clean air laws, etc. There's the standards of the entire United States, and then there's California standards. Just one good quake, and they'll go floating off to hawaii and get eaten by dragons.

lhopp77
03-11-2009, 03:07 PM
So I imagine Arnold's not doing the greatest job?

I believe ALL of the problems existed prior to him, so all you can blame him for is not fixing them.

Lee

Zandar
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
You get what you vote for. I haven't felt sorry for Californians since they reelected Davis (even if they did recall him).

As for Arnold, he tried to reform things right after he got elected. When all of his ballot initiatives were overwhelmingly voted down, he backed off from the reform stance and started to give more of the old status quo, which seems to be what Californians want.

As for me, I voted with my feet because no one else in the state would vote with their ballots. It's one of the best moves I've ever made.

LarryIII
03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
In DE they only close the DMV for snow (two flakes or more):lol:

JaySVX
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
$36/yr registraiton in PA, i can renew online, they ship to my door, and i can print a temp out until then. Their DMV's, however, are not so hot. Hard to believe hte diversity in this country, unlike any other. Other countries though, you don't like what you got, you must move to another country. Here, you don't like it, go 300 miles in any direction and get something entirely different, and you get to remain in the same country. I encourage all hawaiians to do this. Just pick a direction. 300 miles. Enjoy :D

dcarrb
04-07-2009, 06:12 AM
Georgia currently assesses an ad valorem tax based on a percentage of the vehicle's value, due upon annual registration renewal (the "birthday tax," as it's called, as registration expires on the owner's birthday). The taxable value of my cars was $660 each, last I looked, and my total bill was about thirty dollars per car, payable by mail (and online, I'd think). They mail new decals for the license plates.

Now the geniuses in the Georgia legislature have cooked-up a new scheme: A one-time tax of seven percent on all motor vehicle transactions, capped at two grand. Currently there is no tax on private sales in this state, but now, if I sell you my car for two grand, you'll owe Georgia $140. And you'll still pay an annual (albeit incidental) tag renewal fee.

Buy a $30,000 car and you pay the one-time assessment of $2000. Buy a $100,000 car and you pay... $2000. Oh, if you're not upside-down enough on the loan, you can roll this fee into the financing.

Idiots.

dcb

JaySVX
04-07-2009, 06:39 AM
I think that's what they call "sales tax". If you sell anything, you are supposed to charge sales tax and send it to the government. Now, if I sell you a set of wheels for $600, I'm supposed to report that to the IRS as income, pay the sales tax that I charged you on it. But we're gonna keep that between ourselves. A car though, really no way to get around it, unless you tell the title place I sold you the car for $500, then you're only liable for taxes on that amount, whether I sold it to you for $500 or $5,000. Your "birthday tax" sounds a lot like use tax, the tax you pay to use an item. However you aren't supposed to be liable for both use and sales tax, it should be one or the other. Sounds screwey.

dcarrb
04-07-2009, 08:30 AM
I think that's what they call "sales tax".
That's the thing: There is no sales tax on person-to-person transactions in this state now. This new arrangement will favor those who buy costly new cars (a two grand flat tax, no matter what it's worth or how long you keep it) at the expense of folks who typically buy from individuals, pay NO sales tax and pony-up $30-$40-$50 per year at tag renewal time, depending upon the value of the car.

Shoot, I think even traffic fines should be scaled to the value of the offending vehicle. That's fair.

dcb

intellibomb
04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
speaking of sales taxes and how california sucks.... they just raised the state sales tax (YAY!)

vallejo (city of) recently went bankrupt. the entire state is not far behind.

they are thinking of legalizing marijuana and taxing it to make up the deficit.
then all the food farmers will grow pot, and the whole country will be fuxored///