PDA

View Full Version : Question:how to realign ashtray in console

processengr
03-06-2009, 07:21 AM
My ashtray lid is mis-aligned in my daughter's '92. Quick inspection didn't show any exposed screws to loosen...anyone else run into this?

Manarius
03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
It just pops out...just pop it out and push it back in.

shelfy
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
i want to know what's plugged into the cigarette lighter. :confused:

processengr
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I have had the ashtray out,(many times!) and tried shimming the unit to get it to sit straight, but it is still out of alignment. I couldn't find any adjustment in the area it fits into, although there are some screws behind the ashtray.. I have a digital voltmeter plugged into the cigarette lighter. Bought the plug-in voltmeter after reading SVXCESS's alternator and wiring upgrade threads. Bought the green Cyberdyne unit, not as nice as the Nordstrom that he has.

Mike621
03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Gordon,

Check to be sure the door isnt cracked around the hinge/pins on each side. Additionally, any disassembly/reassembly of that dash could throw it off. I would think the console/dash supports under the "comma-shaped" plastic panels could perhaps be missing screws.

subbieatnz
03-10-2009, 12:01 AM
My ashtray lid and radio door are out of alignment. so is other bits on my dash. it annoys me abit

SVXdc
03-10-2009, 12:50 AM
My ashtray lid and radio door are out of alignment. so is other bits on my dash. it annoys me abit
Provided that the problem isn't that your whole dash is out of whack, you can fix the radio door by nudging either side of the cage up or down a tiny bit. Slightly loosen the two upper screws that hold the cage into the dash while you make the adjustments, and then tighten them after you're done.

It's Just Eric
03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
ditto for the three screws per side underneath the comma shaped plastic covers n the sides below the dash. pop them off, loosted the passenger side a bit, make necicarry adjustments, and tighten them back

zavikan
04-07-2009, 08:34 AM
that will solve half his problem anyway... his whole dash is tweaked. Look at the lighter too. As well as the center console. The center console doesnt line up at all laterally on the drivers side.

Yes, realign the radio cage (though your pic doesnt show the line between it and the climate control systems, hopefully that line is out of wack too, and this will fix that. If the upper line ISN'T out of align...well, leave the door alone.)

I would work on tweaking the center console back to center first.

CorSVXette
04-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Yea, I will say the radio door. Mine is also out of alignment since I was over at Tom's for some work. He pulled it out for one reason or another. No biggie Tom. I knew it was just an adjustment and I was going to have it readjusted when I came down for the radiator. Now that I see how it is adjusted, I may do it myself if I get the time. Anyway, see you soon. I'll let you know.

Jefus
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Im glad someone else noticed that whole dash is off. If you look just to the left of the cig.plug you will see the divers side is not even close. and that the ash tray is in line with the "comma" cig. plug section and that it seams that they are all off somehow.

processengr
04-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi all!
Just a follow-up...thanks to Mike and others, I was able to get the alignment better, although it is still not perfect...root cause is the 1/8" longer than stock stereo I had installed (VR3 500BT) I had to drill out the spot welds in the radio cage to remove back panel of cage to let it fit. When I tightened up the new radio assembly, it caused the misalignment...