PDA

View Full Version : Buying new Struts...

boipeba
02-20-2009, 10:13 AM
What is the best for the money in buying new suspension for our cars?

Say around the $400-600.00 range. And whats the link to preview?

Thanks,
Bill

wawazat??
02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
You have two options; stock replacements from the dealer or Koni inserts in your stock housings. Stock is a remove and replace event whereas the Koni inserts require some modifications. See the thread directly below this one for an idea of the modifications invlovedto make them work.

As for costs I'm not sure you can get the stock replacements for $400 and the Koni inserts will be more than $600. These costs are just for parts not installation.

Todd

SVXRide
02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
The issue with stock struts is that they've been sitting on Subaru's shelves for years are are prone to leak. Your best bet is to get a dealership to install them and then, when they do leak, get them to replace them for free under warranty.
-Bill

ShiuludeSVX
02-21-2009, 08:52 AM
The issue with stock struts is that they've been sitting on Subaru's shelves for years are are prone to leak. Your best bet is to get a dealership to install them and then, when they do leak, get them to replace them for free under warranty.
-Bill

Hmmm.. Would this continue, every time the struts leak? If they do it within 1 year every time?

boipeba
02-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Good point.... If i do it at a dealer, they'll replace them with others that have been sitting on the shelf as well.

The koni way sounds like a possibility. Around $800.00 is what i'm seeing. I'll have to think it over. Thanks a bunch for the input. Hope to meet some of you at the Meet.

boi

benebob
02-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Hmmm.. Would this continue, every time the struts leak? If they do it within 1 year every time?

Yes, worst part is the warranty is for a year from initial purchase so if you replace 'em with another set on the 364th day your warranty is up the next day.:( I replaced my rears a few years back, they started leaking within 1000 miles, replaced 'em again under warranty, put another 500 miles on 'em and these too were leaking. No more warranty so I now have a set of old OEMs on there now. The "new" struts (esp the rears) are only good for having a shiney case to put konis in:rolleyes:

Green1995SVX
02-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying. The stock struts ESPECIALLY the rears are pretty much worthless.

ShiuludeSVX
02-23-2009, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=benebob;588553]Yes, worst part is the warranty is for a year from initial purchase so if you replace 'em with another set on the 364th day your warranty is up the next day.:( I replaced my rears a few years back, they started leaking within 1000 miles, replaced 'em again under warranty, put another 500 miles on 'em and these too were leaking. No more warranty so I now have a set of old OEMs on there now. The "new" struts (esp the rears) are only good for having a shiney case to put konis in:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

Is there a vehicle that has the same casing, but maybe a different height, that can be done with Koni's. That way, I can still drive the car, while doing the Koni buildup?

SVXRide
02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
You should be able to find someone here on the Network who has a "dead" set lying around that they might be willing to part with. I believe OT and YT both have old struts available for purchase.
-Bill

TexasSwift
03-18-2009, 04:55 PM
What are the KONI insert part numbers? KONI doesn't list any SVX options. Thanks

wawazat??
03-22-2009, 10:44 AM
I sent you a PM with the numbers, Keith.

Todd