PDA

View Full Version : MT Swap Shift Boots... how's yours?

Treppiede
02-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Fellow SVXers,
I am currently polishing up my baby before reviving her FS thread (:(), and among the small wrinkles I am ironing is the finishing and installation of the shiftboot.

The reason it has taken me so long is because I wanted it to look perfect, like if it came like that from Subaru (don't we all wish) without the need to cut/widen the rectangular hole on the plastic shifter plate and without seeing any silicone/bolts and such (although a cleanly installed shiftboot with STi-style hex-bolts wouldn't look bad).

I have tried several shift boots and mounting methods and I think I found a reasonably simple, neat looking and inexpensive 'recipe':

Black Shiftboot from EG ('92-'95) Civic ($5-10 from eBay/hondamarketplace.com) - guess where I got the idea ;)
Aluminium "Carpet Tack Strip (http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&q=carpet+tack+strip+aluminium&btnG=Search+Images)" ($1-3)
Gorilla Glue ($3-4)

Here's a pic I just took of the boot, secured to the bottom of the plate. All that's left is test-mount the plate to check boot height and stretch in all gears, adjust if necessary, clamp and seal the boot in the tack strip and trim excess.

http://cs.fiu.edu/~wcang001/bs/SVX/FS/SVX_ShiftBoot.jpg

If successful, I will post pics of the bottom and of the final result so we can share tips and what not. What are your thoughts?

I've seen more than one beautiful SVX with a cleanly swapped MT and strange-looking shift boot adaptations, I really wanted something clean in mine... hopefully it will come out nice, stay tuned for updates.

Regards,

-Walter

LetItSnow
02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Does your shift lever make contact with the left side of the opening?

Treppiede
02-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Does your shift lever make contact with the left side of the opening?Good question. It barely does in 1st and 2nd. I will play with the metal mounting tabs hoping to eliminate it, although it's almost acceptable as is.

-Walter