PDA

View Full Version : retarded question about 5sp swap

evilsvx
01-14-2009, 07:00 PM
since i guess everyone notice im a noob lol, i want to swap my svx to manual. i was planning to get a 07 6sp sti swap tranny but money now is an issue. i saw this kit from small cars http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=27 and i would like to know what transmission can handle our engine power and torque, what parts should i get from that car. im planning to go to the junkyard and get all the parts there. im also planning to put a 3" exhaust system, headers, and other small mods. planning to add an extra to 50hp more. thanks everyone

redlightningsvx
01-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Most people here say wrx trannys are the best. You could use others but the wrx one can handle the power better.

Hocrest
01-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I would also recommend the shift kit from the guys at AWD over the kit from small car. It's a better kit, the guys that make the kit are members here, and they are only about an hour away from you.

The link to their site is in my signature, or you can send "tomssvx" a PM.

evilsvx
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Most people here say wrx trannys are the best. You could use others but the wrx one can handle the power better.
i really want a wrx tranny but they are really hard to find? what model of subarus that have H6 engines are mostly in the junkyards. i see a lot of people using legacys. i might be able to get a legacy turbo tranny. do you think this will be able to hold it? thanks
I would also recommend the shift kit from the guys at AWD over the kit from small car. It's a better kit, the guys that make the kit are members here, and they are only about an hour away from you.

The link to their site is in my signature, or you can send "tomssvx" a PM.
cool... thanks yeah i will email him.

sicksubie
01-15-2009, 09:29 AM
BTW... 3" exhaust = a very very very bad idea

Crazy_pilot
01-15-2009, 10:54 AM
If you go with the 5-speed, avoid the 02/03 ones. The second gear in those is thinner (skinny piece of metal), and has been shown to have issues holding power. If you throw 230 lb-ft and 3600 lbs of car at it in one shot, don't expect it to last long.

evilsvx
01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
BTW... 3" exhaust = a very very very bad idea

y? i mean our stock exauhst is 2.5 and probably gives some restriction....

redlightningsvx
01-16-2009, 05:14 PM
It goes from like 1.8 something to under 2.5 inches. 3 inch is WAY to big just do a 2in from manifold to cat then 2.5 to muffler and you'll be set.

evilsvx
01-17-2009, 09:32 PM
It goes from like 1.8 something to under 2.5 inches. 3 inch is WAY to big just do a 2in from manifold to cat then 2.5 to muffler and you'll be set.

cool what muffler do you recommend