PDA

View Full Version : gas leak

akupchel
07-10-2002, 08:46 PM
My 94 SVX is leaking gas from the fuel line where it passes through the body under the driver seat. I figure since I have no rust and no damage to that area, this might be a common defect. I fear a worst case scenario of having to slice part of the car open to replace this line (if I can find a replacement part). I haven't taken it to the deal er yet. Has anybody dealt with this? Any lessons learned? Any half-baked repair methods to avoid?
Thanks.

Boone
07-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Hi Al, Welcome to the menagerie. Your problem is a first to my knowledge. I can only give you a diagram. B. ;)

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=2A&year=1994&style=4WD&body=&scn=4&category=420A-1

akupchel
07-23-2002, 06:26 PM
Sorry for the slow reply, but thanks much for the link to the diagram - it was most helpful. I wound up doing the repair in a couple of hours. I took out the back seat and could see the three very clean gas lines (to, from, and vapor) going through a rubber grommet in the floor. These steel gas lines are located inside the car. After they go through the grommet they are formed into an "S" about a foot long (straightened out length). At the end the have rubber (neoprene, whatever) hoses clamped on, about a foot long, the other end of which is clamped to steel lines heading to the top of the gas tank. The problem is that the section with the "S" curve has a protective plastic sleeve on it. This sleeve (on each line) is not sealed at either end, and probably does a great job of holding ice and salt in the winter. On my car, the return line was leaking inside this plastic sleeve. I cut off the "S" curve from inside the car and replaced the rubber line with a longer one. This puts the larger rubber line through the grommet, and into the car interior. I triple clamped it, made sure I had no pinch points or sharp bends and put the seat back in.
Al K