PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

wawazat??
07-03-2002, 09:34 PM
Tonight I began the pre-meet engine teardown. With my lovely and capable assistant, Wendy we tore out the radiator, intake tube, battery, began disconecting/labeling wires and hoses, and drained fluids. Tomorrow is the thrash to get everything ready to tear out the engine. Friday, my new engine stand should arrive and I pick up the cherry picker. Once it's out, I'll check the heads for flatness and replace the gaskets and as the manual says, reverse the procedure. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. Nothing major so far except the exhaust manifold heat shield bolts rusted in place and hopefully not too rounded (picking up 6 point sockets in the AM).

Todd

wawazat??
07-09-2002, 09:44 PM
25 views so far and not a single reply. I'm kinda bummed. Got one head removed and replaced this evening. The other comes off tomorrow and then she starts going back together (assuming the other head isn't warped.)

Ron Mummert
07-09-2002, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wawazat??
[B]25 views so far and not a single reply. I'm kinda bummed.

We're all just holding our collective breaths, Todd.
Please don't leave any parts on the garage floor after re-assembly.
That's a REAL bummer. Good luck!

Ron.

Green1995SVX
07-10-2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by wawazat??
25 views so far and not a single reply. I'm kinda bummed. Got one head removed and replaced this evening. The other comes off tomorrow and then she starts going back together (assuming the other head isn't warped.)

Good luck Todd! I hope that eye patch doesnt effect your productivity!!

-Mike :D :D

Stevebsy
07-10-2002, 07:31 AM
Did you determine if that head was the one that was leaking? It'd be nice to know the real cause of the problem, if it can be found....

I hope you're changing the spark plugs while you're in there :p

Hope it all goes together without problem for you.

Aredubjay
07-10-2002, 08:45 AM
Todd, I hope things are progressing well. Wanna see ya at the meet.

BTW, I suppose you already had the CD I sent you, since you weren't overcome with joy. :D

wawazat??
07-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Just suffered a setback when I found a dented new headgasket. New part should be in on Friday. Oh well, this gives me time to get the engine bay detailed :D.

Randy, I'm ashamed to say I haven't played the CD yet :o. It is sitting in the front seat of the motor-less SVX.

Todd (sorry for whining in my previous post)

wawazat??
07-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Stevebsy
Did you determine if that head was the one that was leaking? It'd be nice to know the real cause of the problem, if it can be found....

I hope you're changing the spark plugs while you're in there :p

Hope it all goes together without problem for you.

Steve,

I changed the plugs at 120K per the manual. I'm not going to change them right now. I didn't see any signs of leakage on the left side head, though its apparent that I do have an oil seal problem in #2. Piston was crudded-up. Cleaned things off and bolted it back down for now. I plan on building up a hotter engine this fall and I just want to get to Lafayette.

I hope to find the real culprit as well. I found a LOT of junk in my radiator and condensor (fins, NOT internally) and washed/blew them out. The radiator is only 5 years old and the block water passages were clean. I also have a very old H20 pump and am wondering if its performance is down compared to new.

On a side note, I'm amazed by the EG33. Internally it is a jewel compared to the cast iron Motown monstrosities I've torn down in the past. Machining tolerances must be incredible as it doesn't use cam bearings! The cam floats in the saddle. I'm pleased that my oil change intervals paid off as well. The oil passages and internals are clean and the cross-hatches are still clearly visible on the cylinders. I'm seeing some evidence of leaking valves seals/rings but I'm not going to worry about that on this tear-down.

Todd

Aredubjay
07-10-2002, 09:10 AM
Whine away, Todd. It would usually be me, this close to meet time. Thank goodness the "Meet Monster" is looking elsewhere this time. :D

wawazat??
07-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Whine away, Todd. It would usually be me, this close to meet time. Thank goodness the "Meet Monster" is looking elsewhere this time. :D

With my engine and Nick's transmission, we may both be SVX-less :(.

Todd

Aredubjay
07-10-2002, 10:35 AM

With my engine and Nick's transmission, we may both be SVX-less :(.

Todd

Put your transmission in his car and you two drive down together. :D

wawazat??
07-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Locking things down tonight in anticipation of lowering the engine back into the bay tomorrow evening (got the beer and the help all lined up) and noticed two painful things.

1) I have the wrong intake gaskets (upper-lower instead of lower-head)

2) One of the @#&^%*& ing head gaskets is upside down! What an IDIOT!!! The SVX uses one head gasket for both sides of the car and I didn't look closely enough when putting it in place (it fits both ways!)

New gaskets arrive Weds PM and I'm ready for an all-night thrash if necessary.

I feel foolish and lacking in confidence and time.

Aredubjay
07-16-2002, 09:26 AM
Locking things down tonight in anticipation of lowering the engine back into the bay tomorrow evening (got the beer and the help all lined up) and noticed two painful things.

1) I have the wrong intake gaskets (upper-lower instead of lower-head)

2) One of the @#&^%*& ing head gaskets is upside down! What an IDIOT!!! The SVX uses one head gasket for both sides of the car and I didn't look closely enough when putting it in place (it fits both ways!)

New gaskets arrive Weds PM and I'm ready for an all-night thrash if necessary.

I feel foolish and lacking in confidence and time.

Gah! This is beginning to sound like one of those "Randy down to the wire" stories. I'm on pins and needles for ya, Todd. Keep up the good fight.

wawazat??
07-17-2002, 10:36 PM

Gah! This is beginning to sound like one of those "Randy down to the wire" stories. I'm on pins and needles for ya, Todd. Keep up the good fight.

Engines done. Taking the day off and dropping it into the hole tomorrow. Hope to have it running by shortly after noon. Start it up and hammer it for signs of overheating. We'll see, but I'm excited as a little girl! Now is the time on Sprockets when we....whao gotta get to bed.

Todd (apologizing in advance for any bad mental pictures:eek: )

Ron Mummert
07-18-2002, 01:19 AM

Engines done. Taking the day off and dropping it into the hole tomorrow. Hope to have it running by shortly after noon. Start it up and hammer it for signs of overheating. We'll see, but I'm excited as a little girl! Now is the time on Sprockets when we....whao gotta get to bed.

Todd (apologizing in advance for any bad mental pictures:eek: )

I'll pet my monkey for you.
But, hey - If all not workee, you still got the G35.

See you there.

Ron.

Aredubjay
07-18-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I'll pet my monkey for you.

Can you do that with a swolen hand? :D

PS: YOU'LL GO BLIND!!!

Mr. Pockets
07-18-2002, 04:25 AM
Heh...I never noticed this thread. I expected that Todd would be updating us in the Tech Q&A forum.

Ah, well. I'm glad you got the engine back together, Todd. I'm all giddy - I hope that you get it 'in the hole' in time to thrash it a little.

We'll show up in Lafayette in Christmas colors, or you'll die trying dammit!

You know...Christmas colors...red and green...because mine's red and Todd's is...bah, eff it.

wawazat??
07-18-2002, 09:21 PM
With the help of my father last night and today, I got her running. No major issues other than overfilling the PS pump reservoir. Drove her to my favorite dealership for banishing meet monsters (notice lack of capital letters) of MI based SVX'ers, Hodges Subaru for an R-12 recharge and put about 60 miles on her. Came home, changed the oil and put on the belt guard, TB cover, and grille. Mount the belly pan tomorrow, quick detail, pack and hit the road.

Lafayette, HERE I COME!!!

Todd (official DIY slayer of meet monsters!)

Aredubjay
07-18-2002, 11:22 PM
With the help of my father last night and today, I got her running. No major issues other than overfilling the PS pump reservoir. Drove her to my favorite dealership for banishing meet monsters (notice lack of capital letters) of MI based SVX'ers, Hodges Subaru for an R-12 recharge and put about 60 miles on her. Came home, changed the oil and put on the belt guard, TB cover, and grille. Mount the belly pan tomorrow, quick detail, pack and hit the road.

Lafayette, HERE I COME!!!

Todd (official DIY slayer of meet monsters!)

YEE-HAW!!!

PS: Look at the darned CD! The suspense is killing me! :D

wawazat??
07-19-2002, 06:35 AM

YEE-HAW!!!

PS: Look at the darned CD! The suspense is killing me! :D

THAT IS AWESOME!

Thank you very much Randy!

Looking forward to finally meeting the man behind the curtain tonight.

Todd

svxistentialist
07-19-2002, 03:08 PM
Todd

hadn't realised you were in such mechanical bother. And me worrying about my lame tranny.

Glad you have it back together, and that the car is fixed:rolleyes:

Have a good trip to the meet.

Joe:)

wawazat??
07-23-2002, 06:59 AM
The car performed flawlessly for which I am greatly pleased and relieved. I followed Nick (Mr Pockets) down but traveled home alone in the 94-99 degree heat with the AC on fullblast without an issue.

Now on to the serious mods! (exhaust, brakes, struts, 5 speed, interior, etc) Gotta get some of these parts I've been accumulating out of my garage and on to my car.

Todd