PDA

View Full Version : PhaseII 4eat Swap

TomsSVX
11-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Is it possible? Yes it is.:lol:

After working for the past two days Hocrest, Melis, and myself have completed the first documented Phase II 4eat swap. Now, I don't even want to get into the wiring involved right now as it is EXTREMELY extensive. BUT the hardware is a direct bolt up... Here is a list of hard parts you will need.

1. Transmission
2. Torque converter (they are different)
3. Oil pump drive (they are different too)
4. 3-4ft. of new transmission cooler soft line
5. Flex plate
6. TCU (for a 6cyl)
7. Starter
8. Matching rear diff (most likely a 4.44)

We have two issues right now that we need to iron out still.

1. The speed sensor #2 reads a MUCH higher reading than ours did, so we need to find a way to convert the signal to match our dash.
2. There are two torque control signals from the TCU, right now we only used one of them but we are looking into solutions for this to get rid of the code.(Yes, Subaru uses torque control in their new transmissions for the same reason they did in ours, safety of transmission internals)

Tom

Wikedjuggalo
11-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow... Good job tom and associates :lol:.

Sean486
11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Kind of Subaru does a Phase II 4eat come out of?

Wikedjuggalo
11-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Kind of Subaru does a Phase II 4eat come out of?

98+ I believe

Hondasucks
11-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Phase II = external spin-on filter, among other things. I posted a PDF a while back about the 4EAT and their differences, here it is:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAT.pdf

Crazy_pilot
11-30-2008, 05:02 PM
WOOT! Now for a 5EAT!

oab_au
11-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Phase II = external spin-on filter, among other things. I posted a PDF a while back about the 4EAT and their differences, here it is:

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAT.pdf

Thats the Phase 1. The later have a clutch to replace the band, and another speed sensor on the input to the gear train to sense load.

A better box.

Harvey.

TomsSVX
11-30-2008, 05:26 PM
WOOT! Now for a 5EAT!

If only they didn't cost so damned much... This whole project has been an idea of mine for a long time. Dave and Melis put up the parts and a car and let me have at it. But honestly the time put into making jumper harnesses (so it could always be returned to stock) wouldn't make the swap worth it if I was charging them to do it. BUT a 5eat w/ paddle shifters.... Thats the ultimate goal and this was just my stepping stone to make sure I could do it:D Now to find a 5eat in Harry's for $45... that would be awful nice:D:D:D

Tom

Hocrest
11-30-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll keep my eye's open...

Yeah, the wiring is huge. There should be some pics up tomorrow...

Crazy_pilot
11-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Now to find a 5eat in Harry's for $45... that would be awful nice:D:D:D

Tom

:lol: Wait maybe 15 years and that might come true! How many SVXii will be driving at the 30th anniversary meet I wonder? Earl will probably own most of them.

Hocrest
11-30-2008, 09:30 PM
I just got a 2003 OB trans there. I figure I'll start to see 5 speeds in 2-3 years.

And I plan to be driving mine well past the 30th meet ;)

huck369
12-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Sweet!

Great Work guys, as that'll open up replacement trannys considerably:)

TomsSVX
12-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Ok, I found a speedometer correction circuit board in the magazine Trevor had suggested to me quite some time ago (Performance Electronics for Cars). So I will have Dave/Melis order one of those so we can build and install it. This will rectify the speedo issue. No it is just finding out how to get that torque control code to go away while retaining its function

Tom

TomsSVX
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
This should do the trick (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5435&CATID=&keywords=speedo&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

May take a while to get it here but it should be our speedometer solution

Tom

TomsSVX
03-07-2009, 03:28 PM
back it today w/ a new trans after the front diff took a crap on us last time. We have it driving again. Unfortunately we were not able to get the torque control working properly, so we still do not have a fix for that. We were able to get the speedo corrector to work properly and dial in the speedo using a GPS to fine tune it. Now it is buttoning up the interior and mounting the new trans computer and speedo corrector. I have advised Dave and Melis to take it easy off the line, considering the shifts are much smoother than the PhaseI transmissions, I think it will be OK during shifts w/o the torque control. I don't like it, but right now I do not have a solution to fix it so we are going to have to make due.

Yay:)

Tom

1986nate
03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Great work!!! Hopefully this one lasts a little longer:lol: Best of luck with eventually figuring out the torque control.

SUBBYRU89
03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
After getting her filled with coolant and me we coffee we headed back to PA with no problems at all.

kinda like being on a boat...smooth sailing;)

Going to try and find a place to inspect her today, being Sunday not sure if that'll happen, but she's home and I'm a happy camper once again

Thanks Tom:D

huck369
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Congrats Melis!
And good going Tom :)

Hocrest
03-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Me and Melis swapped the rear diff to a matching 4.11 today and she now shifts even nicer :)

We thought all the newer 2.5's were 4.44, we were wrong... I got a 4.11 at the yard yesterday and when I pulled the rear cover to make it an LSD about a half pound on metal frags came pouring out with the fluid... Got another today and the swap went better.

SUBBYRU89
03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Definitely a better ride :D

Thanks for letting me get my hands (and hair) dirty...I learned something new.

So far she's doing great except for the exhaust leak that I've got going on, but that'll be cleared up this week.

(Now to find those flippy mirrors and I'll be set:p)

TomsSVX
03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Definitely a better ride :D

Thanks for letting me get my hands (and hair) dirty...I learned something new.

So far she's doing great except for the exhaust leak that I've got going on, but that'll be cleared up this week.

(Now to find those flippy mirrors and I'll be set:p)

Awesome news!! Surprised they made the phase II in 4.11:confused:

Tom