PDA

View Full Version : MEET ALERT: Reading. PA

Aredubjay
03-02-2001, 01:43 PM
An SVX meet will be held in Reading, PA (actually, Morgantown), on April 6-8, 2001. This will be the second annual. Last year, there were 23 cars. We'd like to exceed that number this year. Please show your intentions by posting your name and e-mail address below. A block of rooms has been reserved at the Morgantown, PA Holiday Inn, where we'll meet, the evening of the sixth (those who arrive) for an informal gathering, then (maybe) we'll have a road rally ending with dinner (things are slightly sketchy right now). John Hoffman (svxcess) has the info on the rooms (see below). Will post final plans when complete. I'd love to see you there! (I'll be driving from KY, so, don't tell me the drive's too long -- we'll also have members from MI). Please make plans to attend.

ROOM INFO

I finally got the contract for the block of 10 rooms to be reserved for the Reading meet

Holiday Inn Morgantown
Exit 22 PA Turnpike
6170 Morgantown Rd., Rt. 10
MORGANTOWN, PA 19543

Toll-Free (800) 339-0264
Fax: 1-610-2861920

There is a block of 10 rooms guaranteed at a flat rate of 75.00 per room per night. Each room has 2 queen beds and she doesn't care how many are in each room. They are reserved under the SVX CLUB until SATURDAY, MARCH 10, 2001.

All reservations should be made directly with the Hotel, with reference to the SVX CLUB. The
rooms are reserved for Friday, April 6, Saturday, April 7 and Sunday, April 8. Any of the
rooms in this block not reserved by March 10th will be released. (If you happen to make
reservations after this date they will honor the club rate IF rooms are still available.

Rev Hard
03-11-2001, 12:50 PM
Is no one going? Randy, Jerry, Allthough i would like to make it it looks like i may only make one day. Being that finances are tight. Is there one day you would recommend i make over the others? Saturday? lemme know.

PAUL!

Aredubjay
03-12-2001, 09:01 AM
Yes, Saturday will actually be the day of the "meet." 6th and 8th will just be informal times for those who will be coming from long distances and stying overnight. I'll see you on the 7th.

Aredubjay
03-14-2001, 11:16 AM
Here's a list of those who will be making it, so far! Come join in the fun!!! I'd really like to have, at least 20!

mohrds
cube
larryiii
nubsjr
svxcess
supa_roo
green1995svx
sjlwel (maybe x2)
svxit
dwayne2910
Tom-k93
bro87mr2 (maybe)
alanscouse
Rev_Hard
rufus
blonde_man
Tsutsuhund
candle_light95 (maybe, probably)
SVX commuter
Never2Phat
mgunner21
aredubjay

Rev Hard
03-14-2001, 02:29 PM
Since im on the list I guess i have to go now huh?
OK im in. I live in ohio and its a 7 hour drive. I want to hear no one complain about drive time. maybe i can get the Ohio guy who just popped back up in yahoo to caravan......... does he know about this site?

PAUL!

Aredubjay
03-15-2001, 10:15 AM
Yes, you're now "on the list." Be there! :) Seven hours, huh. Damn! I feel for ya bud. (It's gonna be about 14-16 hours for me, mohrds and cube). Shadowyng, I don't think, knows of this site, yet, unless he's caught up on posts. I met him in VT. Alanscouse is also from Ohio. Both he and Shado are in Cleveland. Of course, some of us are hoping to meet up around Ohio somewhere and convoy in, perhaps run interference for each other on the PA Turnpike -- I really DON'T look forward to driving that road again. It was the FIRST U.S. Interstate highway . . . and shows it!

Meanwhile --- WHO ELSE? HURRY! ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST!

jscorse
03-15-2001, 10:37 AM
Sorry guys, but I can't make it. I had said earlier that it would be a possibilty, but I have a week long training class in Monterey the week before and I just can't leave for another weekend.

I can't wait for this 'training' class though. Monterey is such a beautiful place.

rufus
03-15-2001, 11:17 AM
You can add me to the list. I am only planning to come up for the day on Saturday, although if the Great American Whiskey Taste-Off is scheduled for Saturday night, I may reconsider...

Aredubjay
03-15-2001, 11:37 AM
Dang it, rufus. I thought I'd already added your name (actually, I did, but on another list). See ya there!

svxter
03-15-2001, 12:34 PM
Actually, rufus, unless rwj is going to run a load of bourbon to PA, the KY Bourbon vs. TN Sour Mash Taste-Off will occur at the E. TN meet - Friday evening to be exact. Blanton's vs. Jack Daniels Single Barrel.

Aredub - Ye takin' up moonshin', old son? Or ye watched too miny of them Thunder Road reruns? I jist may hav to call the revnooers :)

rufus
03-15-2001, 01:02 PM
I hate to take sides on this issue, but I have tried the Jack Daniels product you are referring to, and I just don't think it can compete with a Booker's or Maker's Mark... it is good, but them Kentucky folk got some kind of elfin magic goin on with them there small batch bourbons...mmmmmmmm. Sorry I'm going to miss out on the tasting.

Aredubjay
03-15-2001, 01:19 PM
BOO YAH! <aredub does a chicken dance in the end zone>

svxter
03-15-2001, 08:47 PM
Now, don't have your chikkens dancing before they hatch.

249SVX
03-17-2001, 02:16 PM
I will be at an Easter egg hunt with my son and my brother and his kids in the afternoon on the 7th, but what will be the schedule of events during the day?

Aredubjay
03-17-2001, 05:40 PM
It'll probably be a repeat of last year. We simply met at around 10 and hung out to schmooze 'til around 11:30. We'll probably schmooze this time til noon. Then, we'll take a drive through the PA countryside, ending up at the Loraine (sp) steel mill for photo ops. After that, we'd drive into town for dinner (Last year, we met at TGI Friday's -- maybe someplace else this year, if anyone's got any suggestions (I'm slightly handicapped, since I'm in Kentucky). So, there you have it. I'm gonna try to get route info from last year, and maybe I can post it, and you can meet up along the way. Or, at least have dinner. We hung out in the parking lot for-ever that night. Nobody wanted to say goodbye. Also, there'll be several of us staying the night at the Holiday Inn -- so, there'll be several opportunities.

Aredubjay
03-19-2001, 10:37 AM
Still lookin' for SVXers to join us on April 6-8 in PA. Don't miss a chance to see a "mini 10th anniversary meet."

Aredubjay
03-19-2001, 10:40 AM
<<Actually, rufus, unless rwj is going to run a load of bourbon to PA>>

I will probably have some "private stock" (for medicinal use only, of course).

sjlwel
03-19-2001, 03:47 PM
I'll try to get out and map out a drive and make copies of directions. As far as a place to eat, I can think of a couple of good buffets, but they don't serve alcohol. There would be no need for reservations at either of the places I have in mind. The Country Buffet is in Reading, less than 5 minutes from where we were last year (about $10). Shady Maple is the biggest Smorgasbord, both size wise and variety wise, that I've ever seen ($12.50, 5 years ago). It's located on Rt. 23 about 10 miles west of Morgantown. About how long would we want the drive to last? I can lead you around here for hours.

mohrds
03-19-2001, 05:01 PM
<<About how long would we want the drive to last? I can lead you around here for hours.>>

I'm up for anything. I promised Brian I'd navigate this year since he much prefers driving my SVX than his 944. So as long as you don't make it too dangerous, I'll be fine with any time length.

Doug

Aredubjay
03-19-2001, 09:47 PM
UNK! You're a lifesaver! I figured we try to take off around noon and land for an early dinner around 4 (last year's dinner was a little too early, dontcha think -- o'course, we did arrive early). One of the buffets sounds fine to me, as long as they've got a big room we can all gather in. We can all "party" afterwards. We should have plenty of time with an early dinner. Looks like (so far) around sixteen cars, two to the car, roughly.

So, we'll plan on following your lead, then. Thanks so much for "stepping up to the plate." I mean, I was "hell bent" on having a meet whether we had a plan or not, but, being able to "drop jaws" for another year in a row would be great.

Thanks so much.

Aredubjay
03-19-2001, 10:32 PM
As you can see, UNKLE WORN, has agreed to plan a route. So, we now have a plan:

Early birds arrive Morgantown Holiday Inn, Evening of April 6. Nothing "formal" planned -- those arriving just try to meet up on your own.

Morning of 7th -- We all meet in the parking lot around 10 a.m. Meet and greet 'til around noon. At noon, we take off for a ride through the PA countryside (UNK will provide directions for the route -- with (probably) a couple of stopping points so we can all re-group if we get separated (we all did a heck of a job keeping together last year -- besides Kevin Obrien's "Lighter Launcher" incident). At the end of the tour, we'll wind up at one of two (UNK's checking into which one) of PA's finer buffets (Neither serve alcohol, Larry -- sorry) around 4:00 PM for an early dinner. After that, we'll all meet back at the Motel where those who have them can bring out the "libations" and we can proceed to pah-tay!

Sunday morning, those who want, can meet for an informal brunch at the motel before departing on their drives home -- of course, anyone else who lives nearby is welcome to join in.

So, does that sound like a plan? I'm getting that same excitement I had last year. Yippee -- are we gonna have fun! Sign up soon!!!!

blonde_man
03-19-2001, 10:53 PM
I was hesitant about this meet at first. Last year it seemed a lot more organized, but now I see that an agenda is forming, and that a NICE LONG cruise(PLEASE!) route will be mapped out (with copies made for everyone hopefully), I think I'll call up the hotel tomorrow and make reservations(just saturday night for me)! You still want to split with me Paul?

So you can add me to the list! Hope we can at least get the same turnout as last year! Anymore than that, will get a little crazy, but who says that's bad?? :D

I say we do a relentless email/SVX club bombardment, up until the date of the meet, to really drum up turnout! Tell all of your SVX friends!!

Maybe we could also give out awards too. Like "Longest drive to Reading," and "Most/least miles on Odometer." "Most Modified." "Most stock." "Cleanest." "Loudest/coolest horn." "Dirtiest" Etc etc. Just a little addition to make the meet more fun! Does anyone have a certificate maker, and have any ideas for prizes/trophies? I guess each member/attendee would be given a ballot to vote for each category. Are we going to issue a number for each car, or just use the license plate number, or what?

Even if we don't have the biggest turnout, let's make this meet the best ever, to show everyone what they missed out on!

Rev Hard
03-20-2001, 01:18 AM
Yeah im splittin with you.....

Wasnt that the plan? :)

PAUL!

P.s. It will be the best meet ever..I'll be there! ;)

Aredubjay
03-20-2001, 08:19 AM
<<Maybe we could also give out awards too. Like "Longest drive to Reading," and "Most/least miles on Odometer." "Most Modified." "Most stock." "Cleanest." "Loudest/coolest horn." "Dirtiest" Etc etc. Just a little addition to make the meet more fun! Does anyone have a certificate maker, and have any ideas for prizes/trophies? I guess each member/attendee would be given a ballot to vote for each category. Are we going to issue a number for each car, or just use the license plate number, or what? >>

Hey, I'm all for it . . . if you wanna take care of it. Perhaps you can get Paul to help you out :D.

Aredubjay
03-20-2001, 08:20 AM
<<P.s. It will be the best meet ever..I'll be there!>>

Paul, I admire your modesty (GAK!)

Aredubjay
03-20-2001, 11:55 AM
Notice, I've been updating the list as people have been adding names (thank goodness for the "edit" function). If any of you guys frequent the KC and I-clubs, spread the word. Looking forward to a great meet!

Rev Hard
03-20-2001, 12:49 PM
I could dig up a few things to bring for Prizes possibly...

I'll let you know what i dig up.....

PAUL!

"Is EGO one of the 7 sins Randy?"
:)

Aredubjay
03-20-2001, 05:37 PM
<<"Is EGO one of the 7 sins Randy?">>

Well, if it is, I'm afraid we're all going to hell. You can't own an SVX without a certain amount of it. :)

Aredubjay
03-21-2001, 08:43 AM
We now have the potential of having 20 cars present at the Reading meet. Last year saw 23 cars (though, I believe, only 16 were "signed up."), we need three more to match -- we need five more to meet the "record" at Vermont -- we need 6 more to beat the record, and WAY more, just for the helluvit. Tell everyone you know! Let's make this the LARGEST North American meet EVER!!!

blonde_man
03-21-2001, 10:39 AM
I just reserved a room @ the Holiday Inn for Saturday night (APR 7th).

I was still able to get the SVX Club Discount Rate of $75 per night!

Alright well I've got my SVX all loaded up and I'm off to Canada!

Talk to you guys next week!

Aredubjay
03-23-2001, 01:05 PM
Just two more weekends left 'til the BIG 2nd Annual Reading PA SVX meet!!! Take a look at the attendance roster. I've been adding names as they express their willingess to join us. Let me add your name to the list. It's gonna be a BLAST. If you can't make this one (especially our southeastern partners) plan on making the "Springtime in the Smokies" tour April 20-23. There's nothing like driving past a group of people and see their chins hit the pavement when a bunch of SVXes drive bye in que!

I encourage to support ANY meet that will be in your area -- I see on in the LA area, one in WI trying to get some folks together and one in the Great Northwest -- let's support our fellow SVXers -- we are some of the greatest people in the world!!!

Aredubjay
03-29-2001, 09:10 AM
We now have 21 cars on the list. Some are still "maybe's." I'd like to see MORE, MANY MORE. Anybody else in the neighborhood who'd like to hang out with a few SVXers for a little drive in the country? Trouble is, if things don't start looking up, the list could be shortened by one. That would be ME! (shades of anxiety from the VT meet are upon me).

mohrds
03-29-2001, 09:41 AM
<<Trouble is, if things don't start looking up, the list could be shortened by one. >>

You're joking right?

You better come to Reading. You can show up in a minivan for all we care.

Doug

Aredubjay
03-29-2001, 10:19 AM
<<You're joking right?>>

Nope. No joke. I can't believe it's taking this long. And I just wouldn't "feel right" in the "family truckster." I'm stressing real hard. I hate that I love this stupid car so much.

mohrds
03-29-2001, 10:29 AM
<<I hate that I love this stupid car so much.>>

That pretty much sums it up for most of us, I think.

Doug

Rev Hard
03-29-2001, 02:50 PM
I second that... or is it third..?

PAUL!

svxxx26
03-29-2001, 08:37 PM
What the heck, I'll fourth it!

(Aredub, you best get your tater to Reading - and the Smokies later on. I know you're stressed, but hell man - you'd be kickin' yourself in the you-know-what if you didn't)

LarryIII
03-30-2001, 09:42 AM
To Aredubjay,

If you don't get your SVX back in time, pull a "Vermont".
Drive to Reading (Morgantown) in whatever you've got (no Yugos and/or Trabants, please) .
We 'll be at the Holiday Inn at around 10:00-10:30 AM on 4/07/01. You & Shari can drive "Subydoo around all day. Of course, Rosie & I will be in the back seat testing the theory that the SVX is a great/lousy make-out car

Larry III
PS: No 'Taters', and only covered up Zebras are allowed by Subydoo.

Aredubjay
03-30-2001, 09:51 AM
The generosity of the SVX community still never ceases to amaze me. Thanks Larry. And, if it happens, NO MOANING! (I may think it's a bearing) :eek: