PDA

View Full Version : 5 spd swap issues and questions

storm66
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm putting a 94 legacy 5 speed in my 92 SVX and have a few questions. I have looked through the site pretty well and have not found answers for a few things. I have read all the 5 spd swap instructions I could find.

What do you use for a rear shifter bracket and grommet? My shifter did not come with one.

What is the best way to mod the bolt locations for the driveshaft if using the 2" extender?

Anyone know where I can get the swivel joint which bolts to the transmission then to the shifter? My shifter and transmission terminate with the same U shaped end. Pictures of other shifters show another piece which I don't have.

What is the best way to change the rearend from a legacy to SVX? Need better instructions.

Anyone know where I can get the wiring connector so I can hookup the clutch switch without doing some rigging? Used the old brake switch and hooked up the old connector.

What gear oil to use in the transmission and rearend?

Thank you for your help. I'm sure looking forward to getting this thing done.

SomethingElse
11-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Welcome to the site!

There are different ways of attaching the shifter support. Some threads will have pictures, searching can be time consuming. I used a polyurethane swaybar bushing, measure the o.d. of your shift rod and be sure to get a smaller i.d. bushing..you can always drill some out to make room.

The 2" extender is not reccomended. however it will work. There is a bracket that smallcar makes that bolts into the stock bolt holes in the center support and moves them up approx. 2". Contact TomsSVX for a extended driveshaft with new u-joints. or you can use one from a 92-97? manual trans legacy with slight mods, double check the years??

oh crap, i got to leave...

huck369
11-12-2008, 05:06 AM
What he said/\

And ther is no "Correct connector" for the clutch switch, since the SVX never came with a manual tranny from the factory, there is no place to plug it in, and will require some splicing to do no matter what.

I to used a poly swaybar bushing on my first one, but ended up getting a stock bracket/bushing for the last 2 I did...either works fine

I too recommend getting a driveshaft out of a 5-speed Legacy to use instead of the spacer, I actually came up with the spacer ideal, and while it works, a correct lentgh drive shaft is 100% better.

Nashville is only about 2 1/2 hours from here, you're welcome to come up and check out mine if you want to sometime.

I just use 80/90w gear oil in the tranny and rear diff...but add the LSD additive to the rear diff......synthetic is better if you don't mind spending a little more money.

storm66
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the responses. I suspected the rear shifter mount was going to turn out to be a sway bar bracket. I'll look into getting a proper driveshaft, sounds like the adapter is only a secondary option.

Dan
11-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Try to get a pedal set out of a 2006 wrx. You can make a spacer about 2in (dont quote me on the size)at the rear of the pedal box the rest of the bolts will line up with minor sloting of the mounting holes. Also when i found mine on ebay it included the clutch switch. This set up is for hydraulic clutch though not sure what your model is.

huck369
11-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Try to get a pedal set out of a 2006 wrx. You can make a spacer about 2in (dont quote me on the size)at the rear of the pedal box the rest of the bolts will line up with minor sloting of the mounting holes. Also when i found mine on ebay it included the clutch switch. This set up is for hydraulic clutch though not sure what your model is.

A 91 Legacy will be a cable clutch, so that won't work for him....(unless it's a Turbo Legacy)

gstape
01-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Since this thread has been dormant for a couple months, i hope it is ok to hijack it??? :)

I would like to know what you guys see as the advantages and disadvantages of hydro clutch vs cable clutch.

I have two transmissions in my garage, one from a 95 Impreza that had a cable clutch and one from a 98 Outback that had a hydro clutch. It looks to me that I could easily put the cable actuated fork and other hardware on the newer transmission (and I am assuming stronger transmission from the outback) and since I have a pedal set from the 95 that has a cable clutch pedal I think it could make sense to do that.

Is the drawback to the cable clutch just the pedal feel and effort? of course the effort depends on the clutch you use. It seems simplicity of the cable clutch could be an advantage.

I may also get a transmission out of a 2000 Forester that is at a junk yard by my house... If I pull it myself, it is $100. I could get the hydro pedals out of that too...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TomsSVX
01-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Cable is actually easier to install but the hydro has a less pedal weight, esp when using a heavier pressure plate..

Tom

gstape
01-12-2009, 08:44 PM
thanks, that is what I figured. Its good to hear it from an expert though :)