PDA

View Full Version : Performance Muffler

Jeremy'sSVX
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I want to get something for my svx to make it sound a little better. Maybe a new performance muffler. I dont want anything ridiculous maybe just something a little louder than what it is with a more sporty sound and some low end growl/purr? *Sounds like a cat?

I didnt really look to hard but this is really the only muffler i found.

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.stores.yahoo.net/svxpemuon.html

Does anyone have one of these or something similar? Or any other ideas on making my car sound a little better?

Crazy_pilot
10-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Are you concerned about bolt-on-ability? Because there are almost no exhaust systems that will bolt directly on to the SVX. The only ones I can think of are the Stebro and Flatt Racing cat-back systems. Other than that, it's pretty much custom or nothing. If you're handy with a welder you can do it yourself, otherwise it means a trip to a muffler shop to get them to build the system for you.

Jeremy'sSVX
10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm not really looking at performance or anything and i didnt wanna get an entire exhaust system i just wanted something to give me a little better sound.

But on the site it says this:

"Magnaflows Smooth sounding and HI Performance Muffler thats easy to mount up in place of the stock sideways muffler"

That means it just swaps out the stock for the perfomance right? No major customizations?

Sov13t
10-21-2008, 06:51 PM
You will have to weld the old one out... and weld the new one in... or use duct tape....

Jeremy'sSVX
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Thats what i figured. I can get that done.

Thanks.

Is that a good muffler? Any suggestions?

svxcess
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Svxfiles put a new exhaust system on Harry Newman's (newsvx) 1992 pearlie that is Harry's autocross vehicle.

Harry had the stock rear muffler, but wanted something more aggressive and meaner-sounding. So svxfiles came up with the "'Madder Muffler Mod".

Basically he dropped Harry's rear muffler and cut a 5" by 5" opening in the top of the muffler, about 1" back from the top flange. Once the flap was opened up, exposing the 4 exhaust tubes, he cut out the sections of all 4 tubes in the middle and welded it back up.

The mod increases the sound, and flow of the factory muffler, (in that order) and DOES give the exhaust note more bite. And the price is very low, no new tubing or exhaust tips.

Maybe Harry can tell you himself. He seems to like it a lot.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxfiles/41797.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxfiles/41798.jpg

Jeremy'sSVX
10-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Is that legal?!:eek:

svxfiles
10-22-2008, 06:12 AM

Yes!
The increase in db is well within legal limits.

benebob
10-22-2008, 09:28 AM

It is BUT you might have emissions issues depending on where you take your car. By the letter of the law you'll be fine but that doesn't mean that some PA garages know the letter of the law. There is nothing in PA that says you need more than a baffle in your exhaust (provided it meets sound levels and even then you'll have a tough time proving a car is above in most cases). I think its 95 dba at 20 feet away. I wouldn't be fearful of doing it (or having SVXfiles do it). Cutting cats though will surely result in a quick failure if caught.:D

svxfiles
10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
It is BUT you might have emissions issues depending on where you take your car. By the letter of the law you'll be fine but that doesn't mean that some PA garages know the letter of the law. There is nothing in PA that says you need more than a baffle in your exhaust (provided it meets sound levels and even then you'll have a tough time proving a car is above in most cases). I think its 95 dba at 20 feet away. I wouldn't be fearful of doing it (or having SVXfiles do it). Cutting cats though will surely result in a quick failure if caught.:D

Since I cut into the unseen top of the stock muffler you can only see the rewelded muffler when the muffler is removed.;)

SVXyGirl
10-22-2008, 01:54 PM
How much do you charge to do all of this Tom? I'm sure people would like to know. ;)

Myxalplyx
10-22-2008, 06:27 PM
It is BUT you might have emissions issues depending on where you take your car.

Hey Ben...it's been a while. Nice to 'see' you. :D

I am thinking he will not have any problems with emissions no matter where he cuts the stock muffler. He could even cut it off and he'd still not have any emissions problems. The car may sound incredibly loud but if my thinking is correct, it is only a 'muffler' of noise. As long as he doesn't cut, move or modify the cat converter, he should be cool.

Soundwise, he may like it. Performance wise, I actually think it'd be worse. The airflow would come crashing inside the muffler before exiting rather than making a smooth path through it. The air would flow smoothly until it hits the cut muffler piping, then slow down and cause turbulence inside the muffler before exiting. The lower performance may not be able to be signficantly felt or even measured though.

svxfiles
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Performance wise, I actually think it'd be worse. The airflow would come crashing inside the muffler before exiting rather than making a smooth path through it.

Hi Kevin.
I actually have a muffler in my garage with the top removed.:rolleyes:
If you were to see it in person I am sure that you would agree that the new path would increase flow!
Why don't you stop in this weekend for the Pumpkin Carve?:)
Tom

ps, I never try to decrease performance!

Myxalplyx
10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Kevin.
Why don't you stop in this weekend for the Pumpkin Carve?:)
Tom

ps, I never try to decrease performance!

Hey Tom! :D I've always hated 'theorizing'. Always been one to see by action. Pumpkin Carve eh? I'll read around to see what that's about. I've been out of the loop forever.

I know you know what you are doing. Your mod should fit Jeremy's bill perfectly.

benebob
10-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey Ben...it's been a while. Nice to 'see' you. :D

I am thinking he will not have any problems with emissions no matter where he cuts the stock muffler. He could even cut it off and he'd still not have any emissions problems. The car may sound incredibly loud but if my thinking is correct, it is only a 'muffler' of noise. As long as he doesn't cut, move or modify the cat converter, he should be cool.

Soundwise, he may like it. Performance wise, I actually think it'd be worse. The airflow would come crashing inside the muffler before exiting rather than making a smooth path through it. The air would flow smoothly until it hits the cut muffler piping, then slow down and cause turbulence inside the muffler before exiting. The lower performance may not be able to be signficantly felt or even measured though.

S%$ did I forget to turn that webcam off again:eek::D.

Most of PA still doesn't test for emissions they simply make sure your obd-2 check engine light isn't shooting codes and your pre obd-2 vehicle gets a "visual" check to make sure it has its original emissions components on it. Depending on where you take it I've heard of some failing b/c of a modified or aftermarket muffler. It isn't right as it doesn't effect emissions but it happens. That's what happens when PA puts their whole a## out there for emissions testing.:D They make you buy $20k computers that link to the state and send you to an 8 hour training course so you're an emissions expert!:D

Jeremy'sSVX
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah the only problem about this whole thing is my dad is a mechanic and hes the one that inspects my car and everything. He's kinda strict about that cause he doesnt want to lose his shop. So i dunno if that would fly with him.:rolleyes:

I was mainly just asking if anyone has ever had any experience with that magnaflow performance muffler:

Any opinions?

Tim
10-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah the only problem about this whole thing is my dad is a mechanic and hes the one that inspects my car and everything. He's kinda strict about that cause he doesnt want to lose his shop. So i dunno if that would fly with him.:rolleyes:

I was mainly just asking if anyone has ever had any experience with that magnaflow performance muffler:

Any opinions?

I have the same muffler, but my whole exhaust is part of his complete setup with the addition of the Aero Turbine AR20 resonator. Sounds pretty smooth.

Jeremy'sSVX
10-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I have the same muffler, but my whole exhaust is part of his complete setup with the addition of the Aero Turbine AR20 resonator. Sounds pretty smooth.

Do you think just the muffler would be worth my money just to get the smooth sound or would i need basically the entire exhaust? I'm not too worried about performance i just want my car to sound good

...for now

Tim
10-23-2008, 08:06 AM
It depends on your current condition of your other exhaust pieces. I had a nasty resonation coming from my precats before Ichanged the exhaust.

It would buzz at around 1500 rpm. Once I got the magnaflow pieces it was pretty good sounding but that buzz was still there.

I have a sound clip of my car with the current setup. I imagine just the muffler alone would sound similar but quieter than what I have since you'd be running on stock resonator, precats and single cat.

This setup is precats replaced with 2 -AR20 resonators going into 1 Magnaflow 2-in-1 highflow cat, magnaflow resonator and 1 magnaflow single in dual out muffler.

http://www.timeng.net/downloads/exhaust.avi

The video itself is bad but the audio is a good representation.

Jeremy'sSVX
10-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Hmm, i really like the sound of that.

How much did you pay for your entire setup?

Tim
10-23-2008, 10:27 AM
The original setup was about 300. I got it from Duckie on the network when he was selling it off to go with an exhaust for his supercharging plans.

It was:

The muffler
hi-flo cat
resonator
2 tips

It cost me about $400 to get the piping and bending done with Mufflex (a local performance shop). They were on the expensive side but they used mandrel bends and did a very good job with it.

The AR20's go for about 60 a piece, but I traded some things with Tom to get them.

newsvx
10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Svxfiles put a new exhaust system on Harry Newman's (newsvx) 1992 pearlie that is Harry's autocross vehicle.

Harry had the stock rear muffler, but wanted something more aggressive and meaner-sounding. So svxfiles came up with the "'Madder Muffler Mod".

Basically he dropped Harry's rear muffler and cut a 5" by 5" opening in the top of the muffler, about 1" back from the top flange. Once the flap was opened up, exposing the 4 exhaust tubes, he cut out the sections of all 4 tubes in the middle and welded it back up.

The mod increases the sound, and flow of the factory muffler, (in that order) and DOES give the exhaust note more bite. And the price is very low, no new tubing or exhaust tips.

Maybe Harry can tell you himself. He seems to like it a lot.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxfiles/41797.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxfiles/41798.jpg

Yep, I like it a lot! But Tom did a bit more from the headers to the back of the car .. :D

Harry

cozykat
10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
It depends on your current condition of your other exhaust pieces. I had a nasty resonation coming from my precats before Ichanged the exhaust.

It would buzz at around 1500 rpm. Once I got the magnaflow pieces it was pretty good sounding but that buzz was still there.

I have a sound clip of my car with the current setup. I imagine just the muffler alone would sound similar but quieter than what I have since you'd be running on stock resonator, precats and single cat.

This setup is precats replaced with 2 -AR20 resonators going into 1 Magnaflow 2-in-1 highflow cat, magnaflow resonator and 1 magnaflow single in dual out muffler.

http://www.timeng.net/downloads/exhaust.avi

The video itself is bad but the audio is a good representation.

what is that rattle? is it a paint can in your lap??

i want/need a new exhaust... :(

Tim
10-24-2008, 04:50 PM
what is that rattle? is it a paint can in your lap??

i want/need a new exhaust... :(

That was the lens cap hitting hte microphone