PDA

View Full Version : Drilled or dimpled rotors?

svxash
10-20-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm looking at replacing the rotors on our SVX and came across both drilled and dimpled. I don't really want slotted rotors but drilled or dimpled would be nice. Is one better than the other?

ensteele
10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, the dimpled are better because they will not crack when stressed. The drilled have a better chance of cracking, so I would go the dimple drilled if you have the choice. :)

Nevin
11-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Drilled arguably disperse more heat, but the dimpled aren't nearly as prone to cracking. So, I suppose you'd get more life out of the dimpled ones...

svxfiles
11-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Both of the above statements are correct.:)
(I only use drilled in racing applications.)
Slotted rotors also help in cooling, but you can get either or both.
Tom

Sir. Nate
11-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I've been using drilled/slotted rotors for 6 months, and I'm showing no cracks so far. I've been on the brakes pretty hard more than a few times too.

svxash
11-02-2008, 11:30 AM
They will be for street use only. Do the drilled ones have problems with cracking under normal use or just when subjected to track use?

ensteele
11-02-2008, 12:49 PM
They will be for street use only. Do the drilled ones have problems with cracking under normal use or just when subjected to track use?

They can have problems cracking under normal use. I would use the dimple drilled instead of drilled. Slotted and the dimple drilled are the ones I have used on most of my cars and they are great. :)

Nevin
11-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I use drilled/slotted rotors on my SVX. After about 15 months, I can't find any cracks. It has never been used on the track and perhaps never will be, but brake upgrades are still very good ideas for the weekend rider even; as is the case in my car.

A good suggestion for a streetcar is dimpled rotors. There's a reason you are beginning to see them on OEM setups, it's because they work and are fairly trouble-free.

Slotted rotors are great too, but you are going to need to consider pads as well when doing something like that. The slotted ones will definitely eat pads faster and make a bit more noise in daily driving. That is perhaps my only complaint about my rotors; the scrape a little more than I'd like in traffic, and it sometimes will make the pad squeal. (How embarassing) But MAN they stop like a sonofagun!

svxash
11-02-2008, 05:57 PM
The slotted ones will definitely eat pads faster and make a bit more noise in daily driving.
That was my next question. How fast do they eat pads? It would seem like they would consume pads quicker because of the slots shaving the pads. That is why I was thinking of the drilled or dimpled only.

Nevin
11-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, they don't necessarily eat pads more, so long as you have the right kind of pad. I've always used ceramic pads with slotted rotors and have had good luck on every car I've used them on so far.

It also very much depends on your driving habits, what kind of traffic you're in, etc... You should be able to get the same life out of them as compared to an OEM pad/rotor combo, but it just depends how you drive.

If you're worried, just get dimpled, they'll do the job just fine and will give you one less thing to worry about.

svxash
11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Do ceramic pads take a few stops to warm up? We have a steep driveway and I want the brakes to work first thing as we leave. I've heard that some pads are so hard that they don't brake very well until warmed up.

svxfiles
11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Do ceramic pads take a few stops to warm up? We have a steep driveway and I want the brakes to work first thing as we leave. I've heard that some pads are so hard that they don't brake very well until warmed up.

The only warnings that I've read about was with race pads.
I have ceramic pads on all of our SVXi, and they all stop very well.
Especially the Claret with the 13" front rotors!TEEHEE!!
:)

ensteele
11-02-2008, 10:57 PM
The only warnings that I've read about was with race pads.
I have ceramic pads on all of our SVXi, and they all stop very well.
Especially the Claret with the 13" front rotors! TEEHEE!! :)

Show off! :rolleyes: :o :o

Nevin
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, ceramic pads are not ones you need to let warm up before being able to use properly. They work well right from the get-go.