PDA

View Full Version : Auto-X tires... and sizes

TomsSVX
10-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, I am getting a set of RX-8 wheels that will be dedicated race wheels. I want to get a good r-comp on them looking to run 255's. Whats a good tire at a reasonable price and what sidewall ratio should I look for??

Thanks

Tom

sicksubie
10-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey guys, I am getting a set of RX-8 wheels that will be dedicated race wheels. I want to get a good r-comp on them looking to run 255's. Whats a good tire at a reasonable price and what sidewall ratio should I look for??

Thanks

Tom

I know a guy who can recommend a good tire aspect ratio, weight/grip ratio, low cost imbalance ratio, and even other ratios that no one else even knows about:lol:. He is local, lives with his mom in Salem, and also works at his mom's bar....

Crazy_pilot
10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I think the new Toyo R888 is high on the list of favorites, now that they're phased out the RA-1. This isn't from experience, just what I hear from the local club, many of whom are very serious racers.

svxfiles
10-17-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks

Tom

255/85/16 Maypops!
They will help your trap speed!
And so that you don't lose horse power make sure that you only torque them to 45ft/lbs!
And be sure to use tire shine ALL OVER on those to protect them from the UV rays.
Just trying to help.:)

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE, SNORT!

THIS might even things up a bit!

Crazy_pilot
10-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I know a guy who can recommend a good tire aspect ratio, weight/grip ratio, low cost imbalance ratio, and even other ratios that no one else even knows about:lol:. He is local, lives with his mom in Salem, and also works at his mom's bar....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

svxfiles
10-17-2008, 09:39 PM
BTW, do you like donuts?:eek:

SVXRide
10-17-2008, 09:53 PM
YT,
Aren't the RX-8 rims 18"? 255 is as wide as you're going to be able to fit without having to roll/cut the wheel wells. Hoosier A6s are great, as are Kumho 710s. If you're looking for a tire that will last longer, the VictoRacers are great (they're what I started out on, at Harry's suggestion). I've heard good things about the R888 as a track tire, but I honestly don't know anyone who's running them in autoX.
-Bill

svxfiles
10-17-2008, 10:19 PM
YT,
Aren't the RX-8 rims 18"? .
-Bill

Sorry, I thought RX7.:o

TomsSVX
10-17-2008, 10:27 PM
YT,
Aren't the RX-8 rims 18"? 255 is as wide as you're going to be able to fit without having to roll/cut the wheel wells. Hoosier A6s are great, as are Kumho 710s. If you're looking for a tire that will last longer, the VictoRacers are great (they're what I started out on, at Harry's suggestion). I've heard good things about the R888 as a track tire, but I honestly don't know anyone who's running them in autoX.
-Bill

Yes Bill, that is exactly the point of the 255 width. And yes the RX8 wheels are 18's. I will look into the suggestions but my biggest concern is what aspect ratio to get with the 255's on an 18" rim

TOm

sicksubie
10-18-2008, 08:33 AM
My guess is that you are sticking with the 18" rims because there is potential in the future for a different set of front brakes, one that would require bigger wheels.:D

Dessertrunner
10-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Tom a couple of questions:-
Is 255 the widest tyre you can fit on that rim?
Has the car you are fitting them to got coil overs?
Are you going to run wheel spacers?
Have you used a tyre size caculator to see what fits under there such as this one http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit.

I run on my car 235/ 70R 16in and they took a lot of work to fit. You need the widest tyre you can fit under the guards. The problem areas are bolt on the rear arm pivot point which you can modify a bit to gain some room and use spacers. Also clearing the spring if you don't have coil overs. I don't expect you will get the large diameter I have so the rest of the issues I had won't be a problem.
Tony

Dessertrunner
10-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Tom did some checking my best guess is it will size 255 / 30 18in reason I say this as the outside diameter of this size tyre is only 20mm less then the standard. The width is about 20mm wider then what I run but due to the smaller diameter you might miss the nut at the back.

For my 2 bob's worth you should take one of you rims to a tyre dealer and get him to fit a worn out tyre of the size you are thinking then try it on the car.
Tony

shotgunslade
10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
The Bridgestone RE01-R's on my car have been very good on the track. They release progressively rather than suddenly, which gives you a chance to catch it before you lose it. That quality might be more useful on a road course than Autocross, however.

TomsSVX
10-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Yea, the slow release of a street type tire is really not a good thing on an auto-x course... but I think they are great for track racing. I will be buying the tires over the course of the winter so I will have plenty of time to find the best tires

Tom

SVXRide
10-18-2008, 05:38 PM
YT,
Agreed that a 30 profile is probably the solution with 255.
-Bill

benebob
10-18-2008, 07:57 PM
r comps or street legal tires for the street mod classes. R comps put you into modified I think which then means you don't need r comps you can run real race tires rather than glorified street tires like Bill.:lol: Reason I suggest it is you can get slightly used real race tires cheaper than r comps.:D

sicksubie
10-18-2008, 08:03 PM
What are you saying is the difference between R-compounds and "real" race tires???

benebob
10-18-2008, 08:08 PM
What are you saying is the difference between R-compounds and "real" race tires???

About a second on an autox course in the same car.

SVXRide
10-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Ben,
You need to explain a little more on the construction of R-comps vs "real" race tires ;)
-Bill

sicksubie
10-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Ben,
You need to explain a little more on the construction of R-comps vs "real" race tires ;)
-Bill

Yes, please....

benebob
10-19-2008, 12:12 PM
R comps need to meet DOT standards for on road conditions, race slicks are not dot legal and don't. Bias plys and softer sidewalls still rule the world of race slicks which allows for the tire to roll into the turn giving more surface area to grip. Compounds can be made to suit conditions like short tracks, heavy cars, light cars poor track surface, etc.

You don't see R comps very often on race tracks (though then do make decent rain tires).

Just like going from street tires to r comps they do have a big learning curve on how to drive (esp for those who don't remember bias ply tires) but the advantages are well worth the change in driving style.