PDA

View Full Version : Now Konified...

sicksubie
09-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Well I finished the Koni G/C install tonight. Take a look at what came out:eek::eek:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8362.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8363.jpg
http://http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8364.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8366.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8368.jpg
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8370.jpg

These are all decayed rust pieces/ powder on the floor after the struts/springs came out....
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8369.jpg

sicksubie
09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
New!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8335.jpg

The amazing thing is that I actually autocrossed on that old suspension:eek:

sicksubie
09-13-2008, 09:28 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8359.jpg

Blacky
09-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Nice can of toluene on the bench. YIKES!

The springs/struts are beautiful.

Crazy_pilot
09-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah....that's probably what the struts in my car look like. I don't really want to take them apart to find out.

sicksubie
09-14-2008, 03:11 PM
dumb question, but when I was assembling the front struts I compared the front strut mounts and they looked identical and symetrical so I figured it did not matter. For some reason though now when I am looking at my pictures it looks like there are differences... Any insight?

Crazy_pilot
09-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Did you notice if there's an L or an R on the mount anywhere? If there is one it should be on the very top, between two of the studs. If not, then they're identical and it makes no difference.

Johnybeas
09-14-2008, 06:14 PM
how much they set you back?? who did ya get um through? how do you have um set up? were they hard to install???

sicksubie
09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
There was no 'L' or 'R' but there were painted marks that was supposed to go to the outside and I did do that...

sicksubie
09-14-2008, 06:18 PM
They are 430lb/315lb
They set me back about $1330.-
They were pretty easy
I got the parts through Mychailo

Johnybeas
09-14-2008, 06:24 PM
what's your ride height gonna be now that you have them in??? I heard he had a baby is he still gonna be doing suspension packs??

sicksubie
09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I think he said that he was not going to be doing this anymore, but ask him just to be sure. I am staying pretty close to stock height for daily driving maybe 3/4" lower in the front and 1/2" lower in the back. That is still a lot higher than I was sitting with the rusted scrap metal I pulled out...

lhopp77
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Strange--southern car suspension parts don't look like that. :p

Lee

sicksubie
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM
The amazing thing is that I have been underneath 8 different SVX's doing various things and this car is by far and away the cleanest. If you ignore the suspension the underneath side of this car is VERY clean...

lhopp77
11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
This is what struts look like off a southern car--92 model with over 100K miles. BIG DIFFERENCE The rubber parts are still live and not dried. These were just taken off last week and the pics taken yesterday.

Notice you can still see the zinc plating on unpainted surface. Only some minor surface rust in a few areas.

Also--is your ground control system the same as sold at the below link?? I know you said you bought from a second party.

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/gc7525-02

Lee

JLHollowX13
11-08-2008, 07:28 PM
when you got the kit was it ready to install? did you have to do any modding to the car or the parts? also, can you lift the car with the konis? as in instead of dropping it from stock, can you set it up to be higher?

sicksubie
11-08-2008, 07:56 PM
There are extensive write-ups on here about the koni builds.... Lifting a svx is a bad idea.... period...

XT6Wagon
11-08-2008, 08:20 PM
There are extensive write-ups on here about the koni builds.... Lifting a svx is a bad idea.... period...

Why? Some people live in areas where more ground clearence for the snout and butt is a good thing. Though I'd start at actual stock ridehieghts, as many SVX are like mine and have gotten free lowerings from the factory springs going dead.

TomsSVX
11-08-2008, 09:53 PM
when you got the kit was it ready to install? did you have to do any modding to the car or the parts? also, can you lift the car with the konis? as in instead of dropping it from stock, can you set it up to be higher?

No they are individual pieces that need to be assembled. If looking to lift the car, you need to look into total lift length of the struts... I can measure this when I get back east. Then it is simply welding the perch higher to suite your wants and needs... BUT don't forget, when lifting any car, there is more to think about... Brake line length, camber adjustability, tie rod angles, axles angles... etc.... Granted a 2in lift above stock would probably be fine with a proper alignment after... It is best to investigate first

Tom

Johnybeas
11-10-2008, 12:17 AM
hey bobby,

I really enjoyed talkin the other day, I think I feel a lot more informed about where I wanna go with my car, I think that I'm going to place these springs higher on my priority list than the turbo or engine build, but I think I'd like to have you build them for me and get the stand alone from Tom, then just do some tuning and save and look for deals on the turbo parts.

on to my question though..... When you build them can you set it so there is a decent drop in them, I'm putting 17's on this winter and would like to have a little lower than stock ride height.... increasing myself an inch already it'll have to be something like an inch and a half in the front maybe??? lemme know what you think...

Also can you kinda put a how to together of how you did this so when I get um I'll know how to take the old out and put the new in???

sicksubie
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I will do that... I will get lots of pictures of the build and I will get pics to help with the install....

little.gimpy
11-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Strange--southern car suspension parts don't look like that. :p

Lee

hahaha. Amen man.

little.gimpy
11-11-2008, 06:07 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/Coilovers/IMG_8359.jpg

Any idea where I can find a set of those? I've been looking everywhere and can't find a pair for my SVX.

Johnybeas
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
sweet, my bonus paperwork still hasn't processed but it should start rollin soon. I'd like to take care of this as well as a few other things on the car in dec and January and possibly drive it out east for the spring but that all depends on where I am financially and what happens with my gf. I'll send the money for the radio cage on paypal next week. do you by chance have a grey drivers sun visor by chance???

sicksubie
11-12-2008, 06:14 AM
I do have a grey visor I think... I have no idea if it is a droopy one though....

Little Gimpy: If you want a set you or someone else will have to make them. I will be making a set for Johnnybeas at some point soon and if you would like a set I can do one for you as well. They will run about $1400-1500 + shipping....

SVXMAN2001
11-30-2008, 04:44 PM
sicksubie, so now that you have them installed what are your driving impressions...good/bad. I actually just picked up a set this evening and can't wait to get to installing them!

Also, two questions...

1) Does this setup require (or rather, would it be beneficial) to have bumpstops?

2) What is the purpose of the zip ties?

Thanks, Chris

sicksubie
11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
The zip ties hold the metal top caps in place so that there is no rattling over bumps.... Driving impressions are: VERY VERY FIRM.. If you have a long commute, are an older* person, or want a comfortable ride, do NOT get the spring rates that I did. I have 450lb fronts and 385lb rears and they let you feel every last pebble and crack.

* You decide what qualifies as "old" as anything over 30 seems old to me;)

shotgunslade
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I have the 335 lb/in fr and 285 lb/in r, and as you can see from the many track pictures I have posted on this forum, that level of stiffness is entirely adequate to control lean in the corners. It is still stiff and bumpy over potholes but certainly not as stiff as the 450lb/in/385 lb/in.

LetItSnow
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I picked up a set somewhere near 385/315 which makes a good balance between weekend track work and daily driver smoothness, if you're trying to find both. I'd advise using bumpstops - a pothole will convince you.

Johnybeas
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
lol, I'm not sure what I'd want. gosh now more options to think about! Bobby, does it feel really awesome to drive with them that stiff? or would it get annoying if driven daily?

want-a-fast-svx
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Completely worth it! In my opinion. Makes the car handle like it should.

shotgunslade
12-02-2008, 05:32 AM
It all depends on what kind of car you want. The manual and the GC/Konis together make it into a different kind of car. It's very responsive, a little raw. It kind of reminds me of my 1982 911 that I drove for many years. Obviously handles much differently, but there is the same connection to the road, feeling the bumps, no lean on the corners, and feeling that direct link between your right foot and the acceleration.

Tim
12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I have 450/350 spring rates and 18" rims. It's not advisable for NJ commuters. Luckily mine's a weekend warrior, but there's a lot of places wont take my svx to, knowing the conditions of the road there.

But it's one hell of a good time going down the twisties with a 5 speed :D

SVXMAN2001
12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Would spring rates with 420/315, be a little more livable, as compared to the 450 and 350? That's what I have and I am hoping these are livable.

sicksubie
12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
define livable..... My spring rates are livable... For me anyway:p

Those spring rates will give you a very very very very firm ride... If you are running 18" wheels in conjunction with those spring rates, then stay away from bumpy roads at all costs...

Tim
12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
define livable..... My spring rates are livable... For me anyway:p

Those spring rates will give you a very very very very firm ride... If you are running 18" wheels in conjunction with those spring rates, then stay away from bumpy roads at all costs...

There's this one area of town that I drive my SVX on but not my corolla, and its an uneven intersection that throws me from side to side in my seat, with the Konis. I take it so slow to the point where it annoys people following behind me.

I approached it in my Corolla expecting something similar, but in actuality was non-existent. 18s + Koni's are not a daily driver ride.

SVXMAN2001
12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Interesting...will sticking with 16in or going with a lesser 17in as opposed to an 18in wheel, make the ride that much different?

Tim
12-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Interesting...will sticking with 16in or going with a lesser 17in as opposed to an 18in wheel, make the ride that much different?

I have my stock 16's on now and its quite tolerable, but it's still much firmer than stock. In comparison, I felt that the stock suspension was very soft, and now feels more sportscar-like, if I had to describe it.

Subix
12-17-2008, 05:27 PM
I wanna be Konified, but can't afford to be right now. I've heard some nasty noises when I had some friends sitting in the back going some distance over the weekend... everyone just kept saying "that sounds terrible" in which, I agreed and told them all to lose weight ;). :lol:

I think I need to throw down yet another $3,000 just to have my SVX where I feel it comfortably should be (suspension, complete brake job all-around, 5 new coil packs and so on).

Your pics are really nice, looks like a great setup! Overall you feel your money is well spent vs. a stock setup?

Tim
12-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Your pics are really nice, looks like a great setup! Overall you feel your money is well spent vs. a stock setup?

I wouldn't do it any other way. This is my 3rd suspension setup and I should have done it this way the first time around.

1.) Bone Stock
2.) New stock struts with mychailo performance springs (Great compromise between performance/comfort but rear struts died 12 months later)
3.) Koni/GC coilovers

Johnybeas
12-20-2008, 10:44 AM

I wouldn't do it any other way. This is my 3rd suspension setup and I should have done it this way the first time around.

1.) Bone Stock
2.) New stock struts with mychailo performance springs (Great compromise between performance/comfort but rear struts died 12 months later)
3.) Koni/GC coilovers

I don't want my struts to die... a year after spending that much cash... is this common???

Tim
12-22-2008, 05:58 AM
I don't want my struts to die... a year after spending that much cash... is this common???

It's very common for the rear struts to die. They were stored sideways in the warehouse, which dried out a portion of the seals. This caused htem to die within 6-12 months. :mad:

SVX Maxximus
04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I purchased new struts with lowering springs and the rear struts died after about a year and a half!
I would like the koni/ground control setup, BUT I am now reading this may not be the best choice to go with if you use 18" wheels. I would like the RX-8 wheels, but would I regret this setup? And if so, what are the negative side affects?