PDA

View Full Version : Intake questions

sicksubie
09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I am making an intake for my supercharged car and was wondering about this....

on the filter side of the MAF I was thinking about putting a y pipe and then 2 cone filters. Anybody think this is a good idea? Worth the money ( It would add about $80 to the project)?

redlightningsvx
09-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I would just use a 90 degree bend pipe with a good sized cylinder style filter.

Sov13t
09-08-2008, 07:22 AM
What would be the immediate benefits of that?

I would think that having two filters relatively close to each other would create 'turbulent' air streams in the immediate vicinity (on the outside) and on the inside of the Y where the two streams meet.

Which could possibly result in improper reading on the MAF?

Just my .02,
-Sov

sicksubie
09-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I was hoping it would maybe result in a more open intake, but the more I think about it... Even with two cone filters the MAF would still be the bottleneck. So, I guess it would be a waste of money to do this...

TomsSVX
09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
I was hoping it would maybe result in a more open intake, but the more I think about it... Even with two cone filters the MAF would still be the bottleneck. So, I guess it would be a waste of money to do this...

Yea... One good filter is gonna do you better than two cheap ones

Tom

mikecg
09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Dont know what the benefits are, but I do know that the Corvettes use a dual filter on a Y-type intake.

Hocrest
09-08-2008, 11:23 AM
When you make the intake, make a port just past the MAF where you can add a pressure/vacuum gauge. I think Bill and Mychalio have done similar experiments NA.

If there's too much vacuum, then there's a restriction somewhere...

SVXRide
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
When you make the intake, make a port just past the MAF where you can add a pressure/vacuum gauge. I think Bill and Mychalio have done similar experiments NA.

If there's too much vacuum, then there's a restriction somewhere...

Dave is right....and there are probably pics of the test ports somewhere in my old locker:rolleyes:
-Bill

Nevin
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I'd just use one larger filter. I think the reason Corvettes use a dual filter setup is just because of space constraints. They need large filter area to keep flow up, but don't have room for one large one.

To help decrease restriction, you could get a reducer from like 4" to 3" that would create a venturi before the MAF. That would increase velocity, and help your supercharger get a larger volume of air.

So then you'd have a 4" pipe before the MAF and you could use a larger filter too. *shrug*

Anyway, just an idea.

plus it would make your supercharger louder.... Mmmmm