PDA

View Full Version : weight issues

tubbstcg
07-23-2008, 08:45 PM
I couldnt find anything but how light is the lightest svx that we know of and whatall did they do to it to acheive it? Or maybe just parts people know of that are heavy that can be changed . Any suggestions would be appreciated thx.

Crazy_pilot
07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Hocrest and Benebob's racer is something like 2800 lbs. Achievable if you don't mind losing all the leather. And the suede. And the radio. And the rear seats. And Carpet. Headliner, power windows, sunroof, dashboard all has to go as well.

Basically do-able if all you want is a metal box with a couple metal seats and an EG33 up front.

In terms of practicality....A lightweight fiberglass hood to reduce the front end weight, swap power leather seats for manual cloth ones, go to a full custom exhaust (your stock system is unbelievably heavy), don't put heavy wheels on the car (the stock ones are quite light for cast wheels actually)...Don't fill the gas tank...

That's about all I can think of.

sicksubie
07-24-2008, 07:31 AM
I remember seeing a number of 2750ish lbs for the racer, but I believe that was with a cage.

LetItSnow
07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Five bucks says we're supposed to be talking about the lightest streetable SVX?

NikFu S.
07-24-2008, 10:26 AM
In terms of practicality....A lightweight fiberglass hood to reduce the front end weight, swap power leather seats for manual cloth ones, go to a full custom exhaust (your stock system is unbelievably heavy), don't put heavy wheels on the car (the stock ones are quite light for cast wheels actually)...Don't fill the gas tank...

That's about all I can think of.

This plus removal of the A/C if you can take the heat, removal of the passenger seat entirely, a manual trans will drop 70 pounds or so I've heard.
My car is about 150lbs lighter than stock, maybe more..

tubbstcg
07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
yes streetable but i just want a little toy of a car... has anyone tried finding some lightweight brake components and adapting them or mare maybe some suspension components like aluminum control arms?

NikFu S.
07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
You'll have to get stuff like that custom made, most likely. Why not start with what's available and move on to the difficult stuff later?

tubbstcg
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
ok well these are my ideas so far lightweightwheels, front 2 seats, remove rear seats, maybe light weight drive shaft, 5spd swap, remove AC, light weight drive pulley, maybe fly wheel, maybe even an svx chop :D other than that my list basialy ends

LetItSnow
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey, weigh everything you remove and anything you replace those bits with... It'll make for an interesting read.

vlmaclean
07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I couldnt find anything but how light is the lightest svx that we know of and whatall did they do to it to acheive it? Or maybe just parts people know of that are heavy that can be changed . Any suggestions would be appreciated thx.

eastcoastswappers.com and enhancedstreetperformance.com will do a complete STi swap. Other than that, acid dip the whole frame and rebuild a base model car with as little as possible.

Hocrest
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
I remember seeing a number of 2750ish lbs for the racer, but I believe that was with a cage.
We haven't weighed it for a while. It was ~2700 with an AT and without a cage. With the 5 speed and a cage we're probably about 2800?

benebob
07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah I'd say between 2700-2800 with a cage and a full tank of gas is about where we are at right now. Must find time to finish. MUST find time to finish.

It isn't so much about weight loss but weight loss that will improve you're 1/4 mile times as well as you're road course times. If you're going in a straight line all the time then lighter seats, lighter exhaust are fine but if you plan to turn you need to get the weight off from in front of the front axle and behind the rear and anything above the center mass for the car (give or take 2 feet high). That'll give you your best bang for your buck.

I'd would take some serious work to get it down to 3000lbs with a full tank and still be road legal but I'd think it can be done. In bolts and brackets alone I'll bet we took off 40-50lbs. If Subaru speced 3 bolts for a bracket we took 2 out.

NikFu S.
07-24-2008, 06:58 PM
remove rear seats,
Pointless.

maybe light weight drive shaft,
Good luck.

So far I've got light wheels, no a/c, no muffler, no passenger seat unless someone wants a ride, the 5 speed, light flywheel, a driveshaft that feels lighter than stock despite being longer, and absolutely no junk in my trunk. I've had 2 light crank pulleys but they both failed so I'm staying stock this time around.

wheels -16
a/c I dunno, minus 15-20?
muffler 20 or so
5mt assembly -70 or so
passenger seat -48 (can't verify this until my main PC is back online)
trunk junk -20 or 30, I dunno

I'm looking at between 180 conservative to 210lbs liberal estimate for weight reduction. I think that is pretty respectable and all I've lost is a cool draft that is rarely needed. The fb hood I'm waiting to pounce on should put me at 220 easy, if not more. I wouldn't think of removing anything else.

Tim
07-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Being a lightweight driver helps also :cool:

It's Just Eric
07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Jesse's car was pretty light ad absolutely streetable...Racing seats up front, nothing in the back, steering wheel from a legacy (no airbags) battery relocated to the trunk (Weight distibution) power antenna and rear wiper/washer removed,no ac, and some other stuff removed....

Hondasucks
07-24-2008, 10:37 PM
The thing with the SVX, is it is not a crotch rocket, it is designed to be quick and comfortable, which it does quite well. I'd focus more on making the engine more powerful, and swapping to a manual trans, than I would on just trying to cut weight... If you want a rocketship, shoehorn the EG33 into an EA82 three door, or a 2 door Impreza...

svxfiles
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
"3580
3580 lb car
- 23 lb drivers seat swap
- 13 lb front bumper exchange
- 20 lb rear bumper reengineer
- 14 lb lighter wheels (16.5 ea)
- 33 lb spare tire, jack and tools
- 8 lb trunk carpet + cardboard
- 39 lb exhaust system
+220 lb driver
+ 35 lb gas
3685 lb car

The stock headers weigh 18 lbs, the pipe from the headers to the muffler weighs 50 lbs, the muffler weighs 35 lbs, 103 lbs total. My system, from the home made headers, cherry bomb, 3” tubing + afterburner + polished tip weigh 64lbs. 39 lbs savings
So far 150 lb savings.
Note; 4 lb savings on underdrive pulley offset by added weight of adjustable FPR
I cut out the bracing from under the hood, 11 lbs.(the hood was a spare) Not recommended for the street.
Took off the iron bracket for the ac belt adjuster, 3 lbs.
Note, if the complete front bumper support was removed, it would be a 26 lb loss."

This document is probably four years old.:rolleyes:
Even with the big brakes, supercharger ect. it is now down to 3300#s
with a 1/4 tank!
Just as a plug,
A fiberglass hood will save you 28.5#s.:);):D:cool:
Since this document I have re installed my power seat, and remover the AC sot hat I could run a proper belt on the SC.
The glove box door can be modified to save 2 GAS SAVING #s!

PS, that was 12 exhaust systems ago!:rolleyes:

tubbstcg
07-25-2008, 12:09 PM
All of these ideas are considerable....The thing about making more power isthat it is about 5x more exspensive at this point than losing the weight 10k for a supercharger that is about 250 whp not to mention all of the other expensive goodies. making the car lighter seems more viable to me right now atleast untill we can drop the price of some of the svx performance goodies:(

sicksubie
07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
eastcoastswappers.com and enhancedstreetperformance.com will do a complete STi swap. Other than that, acid dip the whole frame and rebuild a base model car with as little as possible.

Where are you located as both of those places you mentioned make me think that you are in the northeast. ESP is where I go to dyno and I really doubt that they would do the swap and a STi swap is not going to shave a lot of wait as that sticks the 6spd on which is just as heavy as the 4EAT. Add all the IC piping and FMIC and turbo.... The only thing that would get a lot lighter would be your wallet.....

Subafreak
07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Jesse's car was pretty light ad absolutely streetable...Racing seats up front, nothing in the back, steering wheel from a legacy (no airbags) battery relocated to the trunk (Weight distibution) power antenna and rear wiper/washer removed,no ac, and some other stuff removed....Actually, my car tipped the scale at 3,200lbs with i'm guessing about 1/2 tank of gas. Things you can do without.Remove rear seats.replace front seat with lightweight bucketsreplace motor mice belts with 5 point harnesseslighten front bumper supportget fiberglass hoodremove rear wiper and washer partsremove front washer partsremove abs componentsremove cruise control componentscustom exaustremove air bags and componentsremove spare and jack.Thats about all i can remember taking out.I would add manual conversion but the 6 speed doesn't weigh much less than the auto.The moving of the battery behind the seat doesn't do much for weight reduction but more for balance, the same reason i didn't chop up the rear bumper support.I also kept the ac becouse the SVX doesn't really have the best ventilation with the half windows and all.It also helps to start with a base model, no moon roof, no wing, no power seats, and no ABS if it's a FWD model.These are plans if you still want a streetable and comfortable, semi full interiored, and faster SVX

Subafreak
07-25-2008, 06:04 PM
:mad:why oh why does the forum bunch all sentences into one big paragraph?

Myxalplyx
07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
1) Get a lightweight pulley, undersized even if you want,

2) Get lighter wheels than stock,