PDA

View Full Version : Race engine for my race svx.

Dessertrunner
06-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Mike is building a racing engine for my new race car. as part of this he has got pistons made for 11:1 compression. I was going to try 11.7 :1 but Harvey and Mike showed me the errors of my ways. When the engine is complete and running we will hire a day at the engine dyno so Mike can tune it to run on the standard ECU and confirm the power output. We were going to do this on the quite but I figure others will be interested to see how the project goes and what can be done with a NA engine build. I have asked Mike to keep you guys up to date as he builds the engine. Have a great day.
Tony

SilverSpear
06-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Good Luck Tony!

odepaj
06-21-2008, 09:06 PM
So what are you gonna do with the stg3 kit?

tiv0
06-21-2008, 10:16 PM
sounds cool
anxious to hear how this all works out

brumbyrunner
06-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Tony, I've been following your progress for a while now and it's always interesting.
What's the reason you're building the motor NA when you have a $10,000 supercharger kit sitting there?

benebob
06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Tony, I've been following your progress for a while now and it's always interesting.
What's the reason you're building the motor NA when you have a $10,000 supercharger kit sitting there?

Racing class rules??? Keep us posted, that's what I need to start doing here soon on our engine floor out back.:D

Dessertrunner
06-25-2008, 04:05 AM
yes race rules. The race I want to compete in won't allow me to change manifold and therefor can't use the SC. The pistons have been order so we are waiting now.
Tony

Mensaf
07-17-2008, 05:57 AM
This is awesome.

joe62890
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
yes race rules. The race I want to compete in won't allow me to change manifold and therefor can't use the SC. The pistons have been order so we are waiting now.
Tony

Keep us updated man!

Ricochet
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I keep seeing all these threads dealing with people throwing thousands of dollars at their svx with only slight improvements. If you can't get an svx at least into the 12's, wtf is the point of modding one? Go buy a sports car if you want speed, buy an svx if you want year-round comfort. Anyways, good luck with the big expensive build.. have fun with your million dollar 15 second car.

SilverSpear
07-20-2008, 03:46 AM
I keep seeing all these threads dealing with people throwing thousands of dollars at their svx with only slight improvements. If you can't get an svx at least into the 12's, wtf is the point of modding one? Go buy a sports car if you want speed, buy an svx if you want year-round comfort. Anyways, good luck with the big expensive build.. have fun with your million dollar 15 second car.

I have a sports car, it is supposed to be one of the good cars around, but I hate it!!
I cannot wait until I reunite again with the SVX three times per year just to enjoy driving it. Why not enjoying more of it with some more punch?:cool:

And Brian, I see you each time bashing the SVX, newsflash man, this is an SVX network, most of the guys here are obsessed about their babies, I am one of them. If you are annoyed by the fact that someone might one day be literally blowing one million dollar over the svx just to make it a little faster, you can always leave here and join the Camaro/Chevrolet network... :lol:

Ricochet
07-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Not downing the car, I love mine.. I just know it'll never be fast.

btw I'm already on ls1tech.com ;)

AGREENTREEFROG
07-20-2008, 06:45 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

slight improovements are what wins races

Roo
07-22-2008, 02:17 AM
Not downing the car, I love mine.. I just know it'll never be fast.

Hmm, I think the STi and WRX drivers I was with last weekend didn't figure I'd be fast either, but I kept up with them...

...besides, fast is an outdated VW marketing campaign.

Stock + short ram intake + RE050A's on STi BBS wheels...

...and my baby handled the twisties like the newer kids...

Dessertrunner
07-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Brian I think you need to understand were a SVX fits into the current race rules. Matt has proven that you can get the weight out of a SVX and I think there are enough motors that are developing higher power so the car can be very competive against the current STI's without speeding the big bucks that they do.
Life is not about copying everyone else its about creating your own space and acheivements. I have just driven my SVX over 9,000 k and about 2,000 k of that was dirt and rock roads and some of thoses dirt roads I sat on 170 kph. The car never missed a beat so before you bag it out tell me what car can do that when it has done 500,000 k and still handles like a dream and gives the comfort that can't be beatten.
Tony

Johnybeas
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I think it's funny as hell how people are like oh the svx sucks blah blah buy a diff car if you wanna fast car. K well, the fastest STI out there runs an 8.4... ya there are faster cars out there... some of them are even civics... but it's still mean as ****... getting the quickest quarter mile in the world isn't the point. The SVX is sexy as hell, and **** if we can get it down to a 10 second car... that'd be pimp as hell... but in the mean while we can make it faster and god it feels amazing, roars, and ya, it does have that comfort.... if you aint down with the SVX then why you on here??? I mean.. the SVX isn't slow by any means.. but sure it isn't the fastest car out there, so what??? The people dropping the mad cash are the pioneers that are figuring the **** out so that the rest of us in a few years will reap the benefits and WON'T HAVE TO spend a mil on mods to make her faster. I personally say thanks guys for doin the dirty so we can benefit.

svxistentialist
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Amen!!!!!!

lhopp77
07-23-2008, 06:59 PM
The car never missed a beat so before you bag it out tell me what car can do that when it has done 500,000 k and still handles like a dream and gives the comfort that can't be beatten.
Tony

Definitely not a shoddily built Camaro. :)

Lee

longassname
08-08-2008, 02:49 PM
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/pistons/DSC_5854.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/pistons/DSC_5870.jpg

longassname
08-08-2008, 03:00 PM
These pistons DO, by the way,maintain zero interence operation WITH the ECUtune camshaft profiles AND are 11 to 1 compression ratio.

GreenMarine
08-08-2008, 04:17 PM
These pistons DO, by the way,maintain zero interence operation WITH the ECUtune camshaft profiles AND are 11 to 1 compression ratio.

cost?? :D:D

My NA build isn't too far away :)... Time for me to start planning out everything :)

~ Chris

longassname
08-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Pistons are not for sale on their own--just complete engines.

cost?? :D:D

My NA build isn't too far away :)... Time for me to start planning out everything :)

~ Chris

GreenMarine
08-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Pistons are not for sale on their own--just complete engines.

Wait... you are building complete engines with these in them?? What are they? Longblocks? Short blocks? The ENTIRE Package!??! :D:D

~ Chris

benebob
08-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Are you really that dumb? There is a documented stock engined SVX running low 14s right now. FYI, a good 1/4 mile time in the 60s from exotic sports car makers wasn't any better.

I can put an SVX around the track as quickly as most modern vette drivers. If yours is slow, maybe you need to look at the idiot behind the wheel:barf:

longassname
08-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Longblocks. This is now one of the piston options. With the current options available there are 108 possible configurations to choose from. I'm not trying to advertise my longblocks here so I will just say there's a link in my signature if you want to read more about what I can offer. :)

This is Tony's thread. Tony started this thread to generously share pictures and a limited amount of information about the engine being built for a particular car that he is building for a particular race circuit. :)

Wait... you are building complete engines with these in them?? What are they? Longblocks? Short blocks? The ENTIRE Package!??! :D:D

~ Chris

GreenMarine
08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
You're right, don't want to hijack his thread... But I just want to let you know that you can expect to be hearing from me sometime in the near future... I want to put together a good longblock to meet my "needs" and it looks like you have the ability to provide that. I just need to find some engine managment soulutions... :(... Thanks Longass!! I'm gonna have to do something soon as my rear main leak is getting worse and worse :(

~ Chris

Dessertrunner
08-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Chris I have done a deal with Mike to fork out for an engine dyno for a day so he can develop new maps for the existing ECU. I don't want to change it and feel confident this will get round the problem.
Tony

longassname
09-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I got the pistons back from getting coated. Here are a couple pics of Tony's 11 to 1 pistons along with a couple pics of 9.3 to 1 pistons (going into another eg33 going to australia) to compare them too.

Tony's 11 to 1
http://www.ecutune.com/images/DSC_6189.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/images/DSC_6182.jpg

Jeff's 9.3 to 1
http://www.ecutune.com/images/DSC_6160.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/images/DSC_6145.jpg

SVXRide
09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Tony,
Thanks for having Michael share your engine build with us. :cool:

Michael,
Nice looking pistons! Any thoughts on the combustion pattern with the 11:1 pistons, given that the "squish" area in the center of the piston head is now gone? Thanks.

-Bill

longassname
09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Bill,

The squish area is the area outside of the combustion chamber. If you were to put a head gasket on a cyllinder head the area encircled by the head gasket and outside of the combustion chamber is the squish area--mainly at the top and bottom. The squish area is not gone or in any way reduced.

Tony,
Thanks for having Michael share your engine build with us. :cool:

Michael,
Nice looking pistons! Any thoughts on the combustion pattern with the 11:1 pistons, given that the "squish" area in the center of the piston head is now gone? Thanks.

-Bill

longassname
09-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Here are the nippon custom rings to match the pistons:
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_5901.jpg

And here is the core engine being used. It is an extremely low miles 96 lsi motor which has been in storage for 8 years:
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6218.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6222.jpg

GreenMarine
09-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Ooooo, this thread is starting to look fun :D

~ Chris

SVXRide
09-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Bill,

The squish area is the area outside of the combustion chamber. If you were to put a head gasket on a cyllinder head the area encircled by the head gasket and outside of the combustion chamber is the squish area--mainly at the top and bottom. The squish area is not gone or in any way reduced.

Michael,
Sorry, misstatement on my part. What I meant to ask is how you feel the flow properties within the combustion chamber will be changing since you're drastically changing the dome shape (not squish area) of the pistons going to the higher compression ratio.
-Bill

longassname
09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I think they will be good? I'm not sure what you are looking for for an answer here. There's a clear path for the turbulence from the squish area to shoot into the combustion chamber and deflect off of the valve recesses. I also did my best to eliminate any hot spots.

Michael,
Sorry, misstatement on my part. What I meant to ask is how you feel the flow properties within the combustion chamber will be changing since you're drastically changing the dome shape (not squish area) of the pistons going to the higher compression ratio.
-Bill

SVXRide
09-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I think they will be good? I'm not sure what you are looking for for an answer here. There's a clear path for the turbulence from the squish area to shoot into the combustion chamber and deflect off of the valve recesses. I also did my best to eliminate any hot spots.

Michael,
Yeah, that's about it. I was curious as to your thoughts on the 11:1 pistons versus stock/9.3:1 since the 11:1 have totally lost the flat "plateau" in the middle of the dome. Thanks for the answer.
-Bill

Dessertrunner
09-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Its looking good Michael, can't wait to drop that baby in the car.
Tony

SSSVX
09-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Ooooo, this thread is starting to look fun :D

~ Chris

yes +1 for this

longassname
10-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Boring and honing are done. Porting is done as well. I'll take some pictures of the porting tomorrow when I crate the heads up to send off for thermal barrier coating.

longassname
10-03-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6225.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6264.jpg

SVXRide
10-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice! Are you sticking with stock valves?
-Bill

longassname
10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
The parts I use, the piston sidewall clearances, the ring end clearances, the oil clearances, even the porting I do varies with the application the engine is being sculpted to perform best in. This is a high rpm naturally aspirated engine being built for long, touring courses. Heavier, longer valves would be going in the wrong direction.

Nice! Are you sticking with stock valves?
-Bill

Tim
10-07-2008, 07:06 AM
The parts I use, the piston sidewall clearances, the ring end clearances, the oil clearances, even the porting I do varies with the application the engine is being sculpted to perform best in. This is a high rpm naturally aspirated engine being built for long, touring courses. Heavier, longer valves would be going in the wrong direction.

Is a different waterpump impeller design going to be used as well? I was reading in previous posts about cavitation in cooling system due to the airpockets created by the waterpump running at such a high rpm.

The progress looks great :cool:. Can't wait to see the results.

longassname
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
That whole cavitation in the cooling system at high rpms is just an idea someone posited, not a fact. Slowing down coolant flow for engines that operate at high rpm in order to give it enough time in the radiator to cool down is helpful in a lot of cars. In the SVX's case, however, it looks more likely to that the cooling system simply can't keep up with the demand of extended high rpm operation with only one fan running and, or the fan kicking in only after the coolant is already very hot. I believe that with both fans running the oe cooling system will perform well in extended high rpm operation. Anthony has done some testing which seems to indicate this is correct. This is something he is geared up for and ready to monitor in case further modification of the cooling system is necessary. The thermal barrier coatings I am using on the pistons, heads, and valves of course dramatically reduce the burden on the cooling system as well.

Is a different waterpump impeller design going to be used as well? I was reading in previous posts about cavitation in cooling system due to the airpockets created by the waterpump running at such a high rpm.

The progress looks great :cool:. Can't wait to see the results.

GreenMarine
10-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Alright... I'm thinking about selling my computer that I finished building a short while ago to fund a re-build of my engine... I'm gonna have to keep this in my mind and I'll get with ya LAN about getting something together for me... I am very interested in a NA build that would be good and reliable for around 300+ crank hp with alittle room to spare and great reliability...

~ Chris

longassname
10-28-2008, 08:09 AM
The thermal barrier coatings are done and the heads and valves are on their way back to me now. I'm going machine the step deck in the next few days so expect pictures of eg33 block halves bolted to a Spindle Wizard CNC vertical machining center with an Iscar facemill a spinnin and chips a flyin.

longassname
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I finished the crank work a while ago but don't think I posted pictures. Here's a picture of the ECUtune bearings just because they are so awesome.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6293.jpg

I got the heads and valves back from being coated and dropped them off for the valve job. I'll machine the step deck onto the block later today while I have the machining center going then clean up the shop to begin assembly.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6461.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6463.jpg

svxash
10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
What kind of performance gains do you expect with the finished engine?

Hocrest
11-01-2008, 08:34 AM
...In the SVX's case, however, it looks more likely to that the cooling system simply can't keep up with the demand of extended high rpm operation with only one fan running and, or the fan kicking in only after the coolant is already very hot. I believe that with both fans running the oe cooling system will perform well in extended high rpm operation...
Are you serious about this statement??
First of all, the fans are wired to come on together. There are 3 speeds dependent on inputs from the ECU, speed sensors, AC and others (don't have the FSM's to look back at) but they are designed to always be on together. If they aren't then you probably have a bad relay.

Secondly, the fans are completely ineffective at high speeds. The fan controller actually cuts power to the fans at a certain speed. Off the top of my head I'm gonna say 35 mph, but like I already mentioned I don't have the FSM's here. At the vehicle speeds requiring extended high RPM's there is more air flow across the radiator from vehicle movement than the fans could ever manage.

longassname
11-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I would appreciate it if you could be more courteous and respectful. I am editing my reply now to have my own tone rather than reflect back what I read.

You are correct that both fans come on together but the information I have indicates that the fans draw far more air through the radiator than driving does and that turning both fans on high at a lower temp like 176 or 180 will likely provide all the cooling Tony needs.

Tony has a multitude of coolant temp sensors and wiring to turn his fans on/off manually installed in one of his cars and has monitored the coolant temp before and after the radiator and a couple other places I don't remember. I believe a correct summary of what he found was that the cooling system doesn't cool much when the fans aren't running but when the fans are on high it can really strip away a lot of heat. If my synopsis of his findings isn't quite right I'm sure Tony will politely correct me. He may even be willing to share his information with you if you are courteous.

Are you serious about this statement??
First of all, the fans are wired to come on together. There are 3 speeds dependent on inputs from the ECU, speed sensors, AC and others (don't have the FSM's to look back at) but they are designed to always be on together. If they aren't then you probably have a bad relay.

Secondly, the fans are completely ineffective at high speeds. The fan controller actually cuts power to the fans at a certain speed. Off the top of my head I'm gonna say 35 mph, but like I already mentioned I don't have the FSM's here. At the vehicle speeds requiring extended high RPM's there is more air flow across the radiator from vehicle movement than the fans could ever manage.

shotgunslade
11-01-2008, 01:15 PM
If you have good results overcoming the overheating problem after extended periods of high output operation. I would appreciate some advice. Would like to take my SVX back to the track without spewing coolant all over the engine compartment.

oab_au
11-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I would appreciate it if you could be more courteous and respectful. .

Oh yes sir.:lol::lol::D:eek:

Harvey.

XT6Wagon
11-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Depending on how serious you are you can do something as simple as steal the IC waterspray system from a 04-07 STi and mount it so it sprays the Radiator. This is what the Mitsu EVO did for years with its "IC" waterspray... prevent overheating at high output since the radiator wasn't getting enough cool air to keep tempatures stable at sustained high output.

Also it looks like you might not have your front undertray on, those help cooling by making more of a pressure drop across the radiator.

Last, how about a front splitter, more downforce AND more cooling.

Oh and Believe LAN, more fans = more cooling at anyspeed as turning them off decreases the flow through them even if you are going 155. Its all about the pressures before and after the radiator how much airflow you will get across it.

longassname
11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
It's assembly time. I machined the step deck in Tony's block today. If you look very closely at the last two photos you should be able to make out that the rest of the deck is machined a very slight step lower than the liners.

My lesnor Maehr spindle wizard is a very tight machine with a national 40 spindle, xr ball bushing bearings and linear guides, C0 grade precision ground ballscrews, and 750 watt servos on each axis. I just updated the control and have .00005 resolution on the x, y, and z axis and 1/1000 of a degree resolution on the troyke 4th axis. It's very well set up and tuned and I used a 3" iscar tangimill on a sandvik coromant arbor so both the acuracy and finish quality are excellent. Doing the actual machine work takes less time than pulling the pins out of the blocks and getting them bolted to the table. Controling it from my laptop I'm able to walk and peak around all the tight corners as I'm commanding it.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6504.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6536.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6542.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6551.jpg

Dessertrunner
11-04-2008, 04:15 AM
The engine looks great can't wait to give it a run.
As regards cooling Mike was correct if I turn the fans on manually (not simple to wire in switches as you need diodes to stop grounding ECU) when driving at 120kph the engine temp drops. One catch I found out is that if you don't run the air con it is impossiable for the fans to run at maxium speed. It might be best to dig out the old thread I had on this issue and not take over this one.
Tony

longassname
11-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Valve job is done and I dropped off the new valve springs and seals for assembly. I'll be assembling the short block tonight and or tomorrow.

Sov13t
11-05-2008, 03:15 PM
What are you doing for the head studs/bolts?

-Sov13t.

longassname
11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
ARP 2000 head studs

What are you doing for the head studs/bolts?

-Sov13t.

SVXRide
11-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Michael,
Looks good! Did you ever sell the rod and main bearings you still had on the shelf?
-Bill

longassname
11-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I've gone through a bunch of them.

Michael,
Looks good! Did you ever sell the rod and main bearings you still had on the shelf?
-Bill

longassname
11-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I thoroughly washed the block again after machining the deck, blew it off to dry it, oiled the cyllinders and left it for a couple days to let the bolt holes more thoroughly dry.

I started to assemble the short block today--chemically cleaned the mating surfaces, re-installed the main bearings to the same locations I caged them in, began installing the rods on the crank. When I got to installing the rods I didn't like the feel of the tension on the oil film (actually moly-graphite assembly lube). I know what the right oil clearance feels like and this didn't feel like it; they felt too tight. I re-measured the pins and remeasured the caged rod bearings and I got the same measurements as before. I was measuring the bearings with a 2.0-2.4" brown and sharpe intrimik set with a certified setting ring and the crank with a nsk japan 2-3" outside micro set with a certified standard. Since these two extremely acurate, high quality tools were giving me reliable measurements which I believed didn't match I decided to use a bore gage I could set using the outside micrometer to determine if the standards don't match--they didn't. There's a .0008" mis-match between the standards.

I'm not at all happy with the oil clearances being 8 tens tighter than I wanted them so I'm going to have to get the crank polished. Giving each journal and pin 2 turns on a belt polisher will put it just right.

SVXelerator
11-08-2008, 08:04 AM
The human body is the ultimate precision measurement device :cool:

dynomatt
11-10-2008, 12:53 AM
FWIW, I wired my fans to be on high speed all the time, with a PWR radiator. Still overheated. I think the key is airflow through the engine bay...the SVX is just so slippery that most air goes around it.

Matt

longassname
11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
The crank is done. I'm revising the blueprint and resuming assembly today.

longassname
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Figured I'd post some pictures while I have my lunch. I have the heads ready to go on but I'll probably stop for the day after putting in the pistons. I'm still recovering from the flu from hell and need to take it kind of easy.

Ok, so here's the crankshaft ready to go in after re-checking it and updating the blueprint.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6639.jpg

Here's a rod ready to install on the crank. We're using OE rods in this build in order to qualify for a particular race class which allows custom exhaust manifolds. The bearings are of course the ECUtune coated high silicon aluminum bearings. I've coated the bearings with moly-graphite assembly lube and the thrust surfaces with the arp assembly lube. I've left the engine oil laquer on them to help protect them during the ocean voyage to Australia. I also put a light coat of moly-graphite assembly lube on all the pins and journals before installing the rods.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6658.jpg

After installing the rods I sprayed the whole thing down with wd40 to prevent rusting during the ocean voyage to Australia.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6684.jpg

Here's the block right before being assembled around the crank. All the bearings are coated with moly-graphite assembly lube, the o-rings are installed, and sealant has been applied to the appropriate places on the mating surface. The pin holes on the rods are coated with arp assembly lube.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6717.jpg

And here's the assembled block after checking the break away pressure.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6731.jpg

SVXRide
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Michael,
Clean, very clean! :cool: New stock Subie main bolts, with ARP bolts for the rods and ARP studs for the heads?
-Bill

longassname
11-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I hit a bit of a snag yesterday. It turns out I have six 2-4-6 pistons and no 1-3-5 pistons. I spoke with the engineer and he spoke with the factory and they are immediately putting six 1-3-5 pistons into production. They said they should have them done for me by the end of next week and will express ship them. Of course then I have to send them out for coating.

longassname
11-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I figured as long as they are sitting in the way of doing anything else I'd take a picture of the heads.....
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_6735.jpg

I'll give the manufacturer a call tomorrow and see what I can find out about progress on pistons.

longassname
12-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I've been told the pistons are done. There's going to be a bunch of shipping back and forth of them still but they should be right this go around. We went the extra mile to try to make sure we don't have to do this again. Since the block is already assembled we won't be changing the bores so we needed to make sure the diameter of the pistons comes out right. I marked the gage point on one of the pistons and wrote it's measurement at the gage point according to my micrometer on the top of the piston and we shipped it back to the factory. That allows us to get an aggreement on our standards to make sure their 97.Xmm = my 97.Xmm.

longassname
12-09-2008, 07:59 AM
If anyone has a burning desire for the 2nd set of high compression pistons shoot me an email.

longassname
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
The 2nd set of pistons is now spoken for.

And from the tracking info it looks like they should be arriving monday.

longassname
12-15-2008, 06:54 PM
The new pistons are in and checked out. I'm sending the three for Tony out for thermal barrier coating tomorrow.

SVXRide
12-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Can't wait to see the final product (assembled engine)! :cool:
-Bill

longassname
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Tony's cams are on the way now. I had approved the master for the new intake cam a while ago. When the pistons checked out I had them go ahead and grind the cams so they will be here at the same time and we can finish this engine off without any further delay.

shotgunslade
12-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Mike:

Can you walk me thru a description of these cams, or point me to a thread or post that describes them: lift, overlap, duration, and, I forget what it was called, but there was another metric that had to do with the integral of the area of opening and cam rotation, would be in the units of in2-deg, probably. We identified that some cam profiles had long duration, but they opened and and closed fairly slowly so that the open area over cycle was not as great as might be expected from the overlap. (I might be confusing this with a disucssion I saw in another forum).

Would these cams be suitable for light street use and track-days?

thanks
Dan

longassname
12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
What you are remembering is that cams that open slowly can sound large by their seat to seat durations while a lot of that time is spent with the valve not very far open and cams that open quickly can sound small by their seat to seat durations but have a lot of time where the valve is very much open.

All of my cam profiles are fast opening and are generally larger than people expect by their seat to seat durations. I no longer post data on them in the forums but actual customers get full plots of both cam profiles (I have the cnc data for every half degree of the masters) laid out according to crank rotation so that they know exactly what they are getting and can design their exhaust system accordingly.

longassname
01-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Calico re-opened their doors from the holidays and Tony's pistons are coated and on their way back to me now. The camshafts were shipped a while ago so they should show up any day now. Everything else is here already so when these last parts get here it will only take a couple or few days to finish it up.

In the mean time I'm building a transmission for Jonathan Winaker's car to go behind a built and supercharged engine.

longassname
01-16-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7269.jpg

Wikedjuggalo
01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
something looks nice :D

longassname
01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Ya it is a thing of beauty isn't it? It's still sitting because UPS did us the favor of loosing Tony's cams (and one of my masters). They have done three traces now and can't find them so we are going to have to give up and make another set.

something looks nice :D

Tim
01-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Ya it is a thing of beauty isn't it? It's still sitting because UPS did us the favor of loosing Tony's cams (and one of my masters). They have done three traces now and can't find them so we are going to have to give up and make another set.

What can Brown lose for you? :lol:

Sorry to hear that, in all seriousness... I've had them ship my radiator to the wrong houses and it took me an extra week of having no car before I was able to track where it actually went to.

longassname
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
in the mean time...

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7278.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7297.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7298.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7333.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7365.jpg

sicksubie
01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Mike, any idea what the crank hp goes to with one of your N/A builds with the higher CR pistons???

longassname
01-31-2009, 06:25 PM
we'll have to wait and see. This is the first one both with these pistons and with these intake camshafts. The exhaust camshafts are well proven now but the intake cams were developed specifically to match the pistons.

longassname
01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
I have new cores on the way to get ground to replace the cams UPS lost.

longassname
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
The cores came this evening and are heading to the grinder tomorrow.

Sov13t
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Are those the Cometic HGs that you are using?

everything looks great.

longassname
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
thanks,
no i use oe overhaul gasket and seal sets

Are those the Cometic HGs that you are using?

everything looks great.

longassname
02-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey, what do you know? The replacement camshafts have arrived. Now i can button this engine up this weekend.

longassname
02-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I think I may drop the engines from my offerings. It always seems to take forever to get everything to my satisfaction and the parts end up taking too much of my shop space up for too long

longassname
03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
here are the cams before they went in
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7429.jpg

The short cylinder head studs ARP has in stock are still a little bit long so I had to grind the nose of front studs so that they would go in deep enough to leave clearance for the cam gears. I did this on a coolant fed tool grinder.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7459.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7452.jpg

I like to drop the cams in with assembly lube without the lash adjusters in so I can rotate them and make sure I haven't missed any burs on any thrust surfaces and the gears clear the studs etc.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7438.jpg

The longblock is done now and I've hung a lot of the external parts that came with the core on it so they can go with it in the crate.
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7472.jpg

longassname
03-06-2009, 05:43 PM
and she is crated and ready to be picked up by the freight forwarders.

http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7497.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7528.jpg
http://www.ecutune.com/posts/DSC_7540.jpg

SVXelerator
03-06-2009, 09:34 PM
fingers crossed for a safe voyage across the ocean...:cool:

dynomatt
03-09-2009, 11:20 PM
What are the injectors? Standard ones without 15 years of road grime? Or bigger ones?

Wikedjuggalo
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I really want to see what it runs :D

longassname
03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Those are just along for the ride in the crate. Those are the old clogged injectors that came on the core.

What are the injectors? Standard ones without 15 years of road grime? Or bigger ones?

sd2649
03-23-2009, 10:02 PM
any word on the HP output of the engine build???

longassname
03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
It's not even on the right side of the ocean yet. His freight forwarder is having it picked up today.