PDA

View Full Version : The 3.0 ignition coils..same as 3.3?

red95svx
06-12-2002, 09:42 AM
I just found out that the newest Subaru flat six (3.0) that they use in th L.L. Bean Outback uses individual coils for it's spark plugs, just like the SVX's 3.3. My question is....are they the same coils? Also, since Fuji no longer makes the 3.3, is it possible to fit the new 3.0 in an SVX? I realize that you would be losing horsepower and that you would need to swap computers......I'm just curious if it would work.

David

Porter
06-12-2002, 03:10 PM
You would need to swap the trannies as well. The EZ30 in the H6 Outbacks has a completely new bellhousing design and actually has no way to mount a flywheel... the torque converter is somehow integral.

I would think that you could mount the engine in there, but it would require fabrication of a new crossmember. Plus, the EZ30 is a less developed engine than the EG33, it has weaker internals, and less horsepower.

I say keep the EG33, but it sounds like a cool project if you like to tinker.

For my money, I'd bolt in a 280hp STi v5 engine out of a JDM Impreza. That would move an SVX with authority.

red95svx
06-12-2002, 08:45 PM
I'm not really interested in swapping engines. I'm just wondering how similar they are.

David

Porter
06-13-2002, 07:47 AM
They're similar in concept but not in design. The EG33 was essentially an EJ22 with two more cylinders added... the width is almost identical to the early 90's EJ22t Legacy engines.

The EZ30 is a new design from the ground up, and is not directly derivative of any other Subaru engine. It shares mounting points with the EJ25 engines but the rest of the design is new. Its auto tranny is not interchangeable with any other engine.

EverclearAtMSU
06-13-2002, 08:39 AM
what about installing some of the msd stuff? I know a lot of people that have put their systems into their cars and have a lot of great things to say about them. I'm putting their pointless ignition system in my 73, right after I get around to all the other stuff I have to do :rolleyes: