PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure

glide
06-12-2002, 08:54 AM
For years, the amount of air pressure I have been putting in my tires has been dictated by what the tire calls for. However, now I am hearing that psi you should use, is what your car calls for.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The tires I am using now require 51 psi, while the car calls for 29/31 psi of the front and rear. Now I can't rationalize dropping the tire pressure that much.

Aredubjay
06-12-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by glide
For years, the amount of air pressure I have been putting in my tires has been dictated by what the tire calls for. However, now I am hearing that psi you should use, is what your car calls for.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The tires I am using now require 51 psi, while the car calls for 29/31 psi of the front and rear. Now I can't rationalize dropping the tire pressure that much.

Good God, man, what have you got on your car? Bicycle tires? If you have stock rims and stock size tires, use the numbers on your door plaque. It's that simple. Plus, you won't feel like you're riding on bowling balls. :D If you're running A/M over-sized wheels/tires, use the tire mfg's recommendation, but adjust the same amount of psi front to rear as recommended by Subaru.

Beav
06-12-2002, 10:17 AM
As with most everyting in life, the truth always lies somewhere in the middle. The pressure listed on the tire is the maximum inflation pressure it is designed to operate at. That doesn't mean or imply that you should or need to inflate it that high. The manufacturers recommendation should be considered to be the minimum required inflation. Tire wear, vehicle loading, continuous high speed driving, heat, etc. all come into play.

glide
06-12-2002, 10:29 AM
I have a set of z rated pirreli's (sp). I really do love the tires, and I enjoy the ride at a high inflation. I'll probably back them down a hair.

SVXPILOT
06-15-2002, 08:33 AM
I've tried mine from stock pressure on door plate up to 45 psi. I perfer them at 36psi the best. works for High G cornering without scrubbing the sidewalls and still the ride is not to harse. Your driving stlye has a lot to do with it.so experiment until you find what you like.:)

sith
06-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Last week the dealer yelled at me for having my tire pressure like 2psi over the door plate listing...

1994SubaruSVX
06-17-2002, 11:00 AM
I try and keep them inflated with 38psi in the front and 33 in the rear.

maximvsv
06-18-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
I try and keep them inflated with 38psi in the front and 33 in the rear.

Doesn't that affect your handling? I overpressurize my front tires a little (to 34psi), and they feel like they direct the car better that way. It seems strange to have the extra pressure in the rear, since the rear tires aren't holding up the engine.