PDA

View Full Version : who wants an aftermarket rear sway bar?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nevin
06-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I am posting this here and not in the group buy section because these plans are still in their infancy, but I wanted to at least have people on this site informed of what I am trying to do.

A few weeks ago I emailed Tony at awrracing.com and asked him if their company would have ay interest in making a larger rear sway bar kit for the SVX. After a few emails back and forth, I have established that I am very interested in what they could do, and let's just leave it at that for now. I have experience with them ad my other car, the probe in regards to motor mounts, as well as a larger-than-stock rear sway bar. I can say firsthand that this is a TOP NOTCH product, and performs very well.

So basically, I am curious as to how many people would be interested in an aftermarket sway bar and accessories. It would include the bar, stiffer bushings, as well as endlinks (possibly adjustable.)

This is nothing set in stone at all yet, but the more interest I have, obviously I (and they) will be more interested in expanding our aftermarket.

Like I said, I don't have costs or specs yet, but I know on my probe bar it was around $200 for everything and it really was top notch stuff.

Even if there isn't much interest, I may still go ahead with one for myself if tooling costs aren't too high, but I just wanted all who are interested to know that I am trying to get something rolling and I'd appreciate your interest or support.

So, lets get a list going of who is interested.

1. nevin

p.s. I'll be at road america all weekend for the Super Moto race, so I most likely won't be responding at all until Sunday evening. Thanks to all who are interested, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me or email me at nevinbontrager@gmail.com. Just remember that I probably won't respond to it until Sunday night at the earliest.

Thank you!

AFBeefcake
06-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I would want one depending on the price.

ridered777
06-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I would want one depending on the price.

Ditto. I'd say $200 shipped to my door would be my breaking point - I can't justify spending more than that on one. If you think you can get it for under $200, count me in.

LetItSnow
06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Absolutely, hands down, no question, PLEASE.

If adjustable can be done, I'd be all over that!

Keoni
06-05-2008, 02:45 PM
yeah me too!

sicksubie
06-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I am in definitely....

odepaj
06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
:D I'll see if I can work it into the budget somewhere as I am deffinetly interested.

Dustin

immortal_suby
06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
No question - we need these. Make them please! Knowing what they can do for the handling of a pig, $200 is a bargain.

since no one else picked up on the list......

1. nevin
2. immortal_suby

LetItSnow
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow

Sov13t
06-05-2008, 07:51 PM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t

It's Just Eric
06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Hmmmm.....Mabey sometime in the distant future Ill have finances straighteed out enough to do this. Consider me intrested, but not ready to purchace

...charge whatever you want, if it works its worth it:)

GreenMarine
06-07-2008, 01:50 AM
As long as the price is reasonable and I can specify the size bar then I'm definitely in!!

1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX

~ Chris

Tim
06-07-2008, 05:52 AM
I really could go for one. My friend just has springs and swaybars on his wrx and he outhandles me so much its ridiculous

1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim

YourConfused
06-07-2008, 06:47 AM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun

cozykat
06-07-2008, 09:08 AM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat

Nomad
06-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Okay , I'll look like a retard but : What does it improve ? Handling ?? How ?

:confused:

odepaj
06-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Okay , I'll look like a retard but : What does it improve ? Handling ?? How ?

:confused:

Handling yes, the sway bar connects to the two rear struts and keeps them at a relative distance of travel.

But it would be more effective after a good strut/spring or coilover setup.

Dustin

Nevin
06-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Ok, thanks to everyone who has replied so far and for your interest. Just bear in mind that this is in it's absolute infancy stage as of yet. So, I'm still not sure what diameter it would be, what's included, price or ANY of that.

They have also requested if someone is able to come to their shop in Vista, California, they could get a look at an SVX firsthand, take all their measurements, and do whatever testing is needed. From that they can gather what needs to be/can be improved, what diameter, etc... Bear in mind though that the more people we can get on something like this, the more the cost is going to come down!

IF SOMEONE IS IN THE VISTA CALIFORNIA AREA WHOSE CAR IS AVAILABLE FOR TESTING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Also, this bar helps improve handling by keeping the rear spring travel equal on both sides. What that means is less leaning in the curves, and a more manageable body roll. In my FWD probe, it made it feel VERY balanced, and got rid of a lot of the pushing in curves normally associated with FWD. I imagine with the SVX it would do nearly the same thing.

On a boat of a car like this, I think just about anything would help. It's deceptively nimble for its size, but in my opinion this would definitely make the handling crisper and more neutral feeling, even on an otherwise stock suspension. Results would be even more impressive on an aftermarket suspension setup.

Thanks again to everyone who has shown interest, and I promise I will keep you up to speed on everything as much as possible. I've never put together anything like this, so please give me a bit of lee-way, but I want this product too, so I'm going to try to do everything I can to make it happen!

If there are any questions, do not hesitate to ask either here, PM's, or my email, which is nevinbontrager@gmail.com.

ridered777
06-09-2008, 07:46 AM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)

SilverSpear
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Ok, thanks to everyone who has replied so far and for your interest. Just bear in mind that this is in it's absolute infancy stage as of yet. So, I'm still not sure what diameter it would be, what's included, price or ANY of that.

They have also requested if someone is able to come to their shop in Vista, California, they could get a look at an SVX firsthand, take all their measurements, and do whatever testing is needed. From that they can gather what needs to be/can be improved, what diameter, etc... Bear in mind though that the more people we can get on something like this, the more the cost is going to come down!

IF SOMEONE IS IN THE VISTA CALIFORNIA AREA WHOSE CAR IS AVAILABLE FOR TESTING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Also, this bar helps improve handling by keeping the rear spring travel equal on both sides. What that means is less leaning in the curves, and a more manageable body roll. In my FWD probe, it made it feel VERY balanced, and got rid of a lot of the pushing in curves normally associated with FWD. I imagine with the SVX it would do nearly the same thing.

On a boat of a car like this, I think just about anything would help. It's deceptively nimble for its size, but in my opinion this would definitely make the handling crisper and more neutral feeling, even on an otherwise stock suspension. Results would be even more impressive on an aftermarket suspension setup.

Thanks again to everyone who has shown interest, and I promise I will keep you up to speed on everything as much as possible. I've never put together anything like this, so please give me a bit of lee-way, but I want this product too, so I'm going to try to do everything I can to make it happen!

If there are any questions, do not hesitate to ask either here, PM's, or my email, which is nevinbontrager@gmail.com.

You'd better ask Pavan or Paul for that matter... They are both located in Ca.

s'ko
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
would be interested in one maybe two.

How long to the need the car for? are they open on weekends?

give me their contact info and I might be able to work something out.

BW

odepaj
06-09-2008, 01:42 PM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj

Crazypolo95
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
i'm in. just tell me how much

Tims Phone
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
The response seems to be very good so far. It seems to be one of the only parts on an svx that haven't had any major development.

Nevin
06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok first off, a member of the board has offered to take their car to the shop for measurements, etc... so a HUGE thank you to them. (haven't asked to use their name, so I'll refrain from now, but if they want to tell then that's fine.)

In the meantime, yes the response has been VERY good indeed. I'm still not sure of the timeframe, but if I keep getting the positive emails from the producer and you members alike, I think things should be shaping up nicely here.

Also, if someone has a spare rear sway bar, endlinks, and bushings/brackets they can donate to the cause (I'll at least reimburse you for shipping) let me know via PM's and we can work something out. If not, I'll just take off my own after measuring, etc... and send it to them if they need. They may NOT need one, but it never hurts to be safe.

I'm going to take a bunch of measurements and pictures tomorrow night and hopefully can get that all to them ASAP.

I really like what I'm hearing, so keep on telling your friends (that own SVXs) about this and the more people we can get on board, I know the price will come down.

Thank you again, and as always... I'll be in touch!

-nevin bontrager

ridered777
06-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Also, if someone has a spare rear sway bar, endlinks, and bushings/brackets they can donate to the cause (I'll at least reimburse you for shipping) let me know via PM's and we can work something out. If not, I'll just take off my own after measuring, etc... and send it to them if they need. They may NOT need one, but it never hurts to be safe.

I'd check with one of the Tom's on that. They usually have a plethora of parts, and are willing to help out with anything involved in furthering the SVX's performance development. ;)

techy101
06-10-2008, 09:39 AM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj
11. Techy101

Nomad
06-10-2008, 09:42 AM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj
11. Techy101
12. Nomad

:rolleyes:

AFBeefcake
06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj
11. Techy101
12. Nomad
13. Afbeefcake

svxsubaru1
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj
11. Techy101
12. Nomad
13. Afbeefcake[/QUOTE]
14. svxsubaru1

ridered777
06-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Are you considering after market endlinks as well? You can count me in on that list too... :p

It's Just Eric
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
We have a few spare rear swaybars laying around the shop. Pm pending:
-Eric

Nevin
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Ok, I took a bunch of pictures on Tuesday night and emailed them to him yesterday, so that's where we stand now.

I personally don't mind waiting, but I hope for all of your sakes that this doesn't take too long. I don't mind organizing something like this, but I just hate to make others wait on my account.

Anyways, I'll let you know when anything else develops.

LetItSnow
06-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Lil' over two weeks later bump!

I sure could have used one of these this past weekend... The difference between my front and rear tire pressure in order to make the car negotiate the cones well is frightening. If I keep 'em close, this comes to mind...

"Looks like a fish... moves like a fish... steers like a cow." - Ford Prefect

Nevin
06-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Steers like a cow, huh? lol

Well, currently we're waiting on the developer to get back to me and the member who is going to the place to get his car checked out. Sounds like the day we've penciled in is the 18th of July to get it looked it. So, if you can all just sit tight, I'd sure appreciate it!

Besides, we've all waited HOW many years for a piece like this? lol What's a few more weeks?

LetItSnow
07-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Besides, we've been in a house with burning curtains for how long? lol What's a few more minutes?
Fixed. :p

if you can all just sit tight, I'd sure appreciate it!
July 18, and then some? Well, it beats the countdown for Reading X! :cool:

Wikedjuggalo
07-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Well July 18th has past any word :O?

Nevin
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
So far, I've heard nothing from either place. Kind of aggravating, but I'll keep at it. Short of actually driving to CA myself, I'm trying to do everything in my power to keep this rolling.

I'll try all other parties involved again here shortly.

Thanks again everyone so much for your patience. I hate to get your hopes up and then DASH them away, so like I said, I'm doing everything I can to keep this going.

YourConfused
07-24-2008, 06:56 AM
I 'need' one of em, so thanks for your efforts.

So far, I've heard nothing from either place. Kind of aggravating, but I'll keep at it. Short of actually driving to CA myself, I'm trying to do everything in my power to keep this rolling.

I'll try all other parties involved again here shortly.

Thanks again everyone so much for your patience. I hate to get your hopes up and then DASH them away, so like I said, I'm doing everything I can to keep this going.

vlmaclean
07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
front and rear sway bars are available here

http://rallyeng.selfip.com:8080/SVX/svx_sport_parts.html

LetItSnow
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM

We can dream. The last time I talked to Mychailo, none of those were available. Read the second half of that page?

vlmaclean
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
We can dream. The last time I talked to Mychailo, none of those were available. Read the second half of that page?

On this page he says he custom makes them one at a time with his phone# and email:

http://rallyeng.selfip.com:8080/SVX/svx_sport_swaybar.html

immortal_suby
07-24-2008, 07:25 PM

We wish!
Mychailo is still working on it......

vlmaclean
07-25-2008, 03:51 PM
We wish!
Mychailo is still working on it......

Do you mean he's still working on your order? Apparently from the threads he provided SVXRide with front and rear sway bars. I also don't think he did the development himself, but this shop did:

Dave Clark Motorsports in Kent. Best shop rate in town, and he's a very skilled mechanic. He did my 5MT swap and built up the several exhaust systems that I tried. 425 221-2470 (posted by Mychailo)

immortal_suby
07-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Do you mean he's still working on your order? Apparently from the threads he provided SVXRide with front and rear sway bars. I also don't think he did the development himself, but this shop did:

Dave Clark Motorsports in Kent. Best shop rate in town, and he's a very skilled mechanic. He did my 5MT swap and built up the several exhaust systems that I tried. 425 221-2470 (posted by Mychailo)

No, I haven't ordered yet because last time I heard he was still not ready to sell them yet. Believe me, I'd be one of the first in line if I knew he was ready to sell. :)

SVXRide
07-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Just to clarify things.

1. I did get my 3 piece front bar from Mychailo and yes, Dave Clark did the heavy lifting on it.

2. I fabricated my own 1 piece rear bar, with "blue tip wrench" help from my machinist/welder friend Sean (yes, I had to have the bar heat treated after bending to bring it back up to strength). Sean and I also fabricated the custom end links for the rear bar.

Now, could we provide both the front and rear bar is there was a bona fide market for them? You bet. Would they cost more than what most folks would be willing to pay for them? You bet.

-Bill

vlmaclean
07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Just to clarify things.

1. I did get my 3 piece front bar from Mychailo and yes, Dave Clark did the heavy lifting on it.

2. I fabricated my own 1 piece rear bar, with "blue tip wrench" help from my machinist/welder friend Sean (yes, I had to have the bar heat treated after bending to bring it back up to strength). Sean and I also fabricated the custom end links for the rear bar.

Now, could we provide both the front and rear bar is there was a bona fide market for them? You bet. Would they cost more than what most folks would be willing to pay for them? You bet.

-Bill

If you can provide a video of a balanced front and rear bar showing a respectable improvement on a g-tech, before and after the bars are installed, I will paypal you $1,000.00.

SVXRide
07-25-2008, 11:30 PM
If you can provide a video of a balanced front and rear bar showing a respectable improvement on a g-tech, before and after the bars are installed, I will paypal you $1,000.00.

With or without 295/35-17 Hoosiers on all four corners?;)

Seriously, I'll be doing some instrumented tests once I get my R180 installed sometime in August (have to get some serious NASA work done this month). Stay tuned.:cool:
-Bill

vlmaclean
07-26-2008, 02:25 PM
With or without 295/35-17 Hoosiers on all four corners?;)

Seriously, I'll be doing some instrumented tests once I get my R180 installed sometime in August (have to get some serious NASA work done this month). Stay tuned.:cool:
-Bill

The tires are fine, what is important is that the stock bars are put back in to demonstrate the improvement of the bars alone, everything else being equal;)

Nevin
07-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Ok, just heard from our super-helpful board member with the test mule that he has set up and appointment to go to AWR this friday.

We'll just keep taking things as they come, I suppose. But for now, that's good news for me.

SVXRide
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
The tires are fine, what is important is that the stock bars are put back in to demonstrate the improvement of the bars alone, everything else being equal;)

Not a problem. I'll need to pull the front bar off anyway to use it as a guide is setting up a jig for additional front bars.

-Bill

oppositelock
07-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey it's me, Dave Clark. Somebody gave me a call saying people were looking for rear sway bars and I should look at the forum so I decided to just reply here. Yes, I did the sway bars, as well as the exhaust and 5 speed conversion on Mychailo's car. Last I talked to Mychailo he had sold his SVX and gone over to the dark side and bought an Evo 8.
Unfortunately, at this time I simply have no time to work on any projects in my shop as I am busy building race cars for SCCA Speed World Challenge for DRC Motorsports. We are racing Lexus IS 350's in the Speed GT class. 500+ HP 4.7 liter V8's, 6 speed sequential Hewland transaxles, all carbon fiber bodywork, etc. Pretty trick stuff. Anyway, sorry I can't help you guys out. I don't even have any time to work on my own stuff right now.

Tim
07-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Hey it's me, Dave Clark. Somebody gave me a call saying people were looking for rear sway bars and I should look at the forum so I decided to just reply here. Yes, I did the sway bars, as well as the exhaust and 5 speed conversion on Mychailo's car. Last I talked to Mychailo he had sold his SVX and gone over to the dark side and bought an Evo 8.
Unfortunately, at this time I simply have no time to work on any projects in my shop as I am busy building race cars for SCCA Speed World Challenge for DRC Motorsports. We are racing Lexus IS 350's in the Speed GT class. 500+ HP 4.7 liter V8's, 6 speed sequential Hewland transaxles, all carbon fiber bodywork, etc. Pretty trick stuff. Anyway, sorry I can't help you guys out. I don't even have any time to work on my own stuff right now.

Welcome to the boards. Good luck with the race build. Do you have any other people that have the ability to make sway bars? :)

Nevin
08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey, you fellows talking about other bars and whatnot, I sure do appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's kind of making "clutter" around here if you don't mind.

VERY GOOD NEWS regarding the AWR bar.

Our boardmember test mule went to AWR yesterday and they measured up and did their thing, and said this would be a VERY easily bar to manufacture.

They also mentioned the fact the the front endlinks were very tiny, and wondered if there would be interest in a beefier set of those as well? Another thing they said was that the rear sway bar bushings were kind of small, and maybe a larger (wider I assume) bushing would be better. I kind of wondered about this, because I assumed that a larger (and better) bushing would be used anyway, since the bar is larger, but I'm just waiting their reply as to what happened.

Here is a portion of the PM from our helpful boardmember...

##############

got back from AWRracing

He said that the rear sway bar really easy to copy and make.

Some this the things he brought up was
1) rear sway bar bushing is kinda small
2) front sway bar links are really long and thin.

I have a parts SVX that I will disassembling the rear sway bar, the bushing mounts and the front and rear sway bar links and I will send it to him.

He said that he could make a larger sway bar bushing as an optional part of the package.

So i think the standard package will include larger rear sway bar end front and rear sway bar links.
The larger bushing option would include a large bushing, a new u bracket and a piece of metal connecting the two sway bar brackets together.

################

Then, here is a bit of my latest correspondence with the folks at AWR.

OK here is what we have. Your friend is going to send down the sway bar, end links and bushings and Tony is going to bend a new bar, do new bushings and I will assemble new end links using all mil-spec hardware (no grade 5 or 8) for this first car. The estimated cost for the kit will be around $175 to $200 but I will have a better feel for that once I have the specifications for the end links.

We are also considering doing similar end link kits for the front bar as the original kits are really thin and will flex under heavy load. Using the same type of hardware we will use on the rear would stiffen up the front bar and also give you some adjustment, what do you think?

So, that is where we stand right now.

I'm going to go ahead and order one of everything for me, and test it out and let you all know what I think and try to make a video of the installation. It will probably be a few weeks til this is all done, but just so you all know, the ball IS rolling.

As always, thanks for your patience, and again, as soon as I know, YOU WILL KNOW!

Hopefully before too long you'll see a "AWR rear swaybar bulk buy" thread.

Peace out!

-nevin

redlightningsvx
08-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!:drool:

LetItSnow
08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Is the bar going to be adjustable?

Good news, indeed, either way! :D

Nevin
08-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Is the bar going to be adjustable?

Good news, indeed, either way! :D

I just got word from AWR saying that they were planning on making the endlinks adjustable anyways. I guess that's what they normally assume people will want. So, that would mean front and rear adjustability.

So, I assume that's what you mean by "adjustable?" That's what I would assume, anyway...

LetItSnow
08-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Naw, that's an adjustable left-right thing. Still good to have, but it's not what I mean. When I say "adjustable bar", it means that instead of one hole on each end, it has two or three. When you use the holes closer to the crossbar, the bar acts as if it were of a larger diameter.

Nevin
08-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Ahhh, I see. I will ask about that in my next email!

Any other suggestions?? Anybody?

SVXRide
08-02-2008, 08:35 PM
From experience, you'll want at least two mounting holes on the bar - try for ~ one inch apart. The adjustable endlinks will allow you to keep your geometry when you change mounting holes. Great price on the rear bar kit ($175-200), if you can make it happen!:cool:
-Bill

shotgunslade
08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I would be very interested in the rear swaybar and the enw front end links.

immortal_suby
08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Awesome price considering the rarity of it. I'm still in. Thanks for all of your work!

sicksubie
08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I would be very interested as well.... What would the diameter be of the new bar?

cozykat
08-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm still in for the sway bar, end links and bushings. :) Is the signup list still accurate?

Nomad
08-12-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm still in ! any news since 8 days ? :rolleyes:

LetItSnow
08-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Just for wonderin', have you done the math behind these bars?

Nevin
08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Just for wonderin', have you done the math behind these bars?

As in... price? No, not yet. I already know my price (VERY affordable if you ask me) and I know that what you guys will pay will probably be less if we do it in group-buy fashion. However, with nothign finalized yet, I'll hold off mentioning price just yet.

Also, in the last 8 days I have received word from our SVX friend that he has shipped his spare bar to them to have them make a jig so replication can begin. I hope to hear something back this week! I know that we're just a small-potatos group once this all gets rolling, but they have been treating us well so far. I just don't expect turnaround for us to be as quick as a group of say... 50 or 100 people.

sicksubie
08-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Diameter?????

LetItSnow
08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
As in... price?
As in... physics. :)

GreenMarine
08-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm still interested :p... I already have front endlinks (thanks Wawasat??? and SVXRide, they really made a difference at the AutoX last weekend ;) ) but am definitely interested in the full package that AWR is offering as I will take the parts I don't want and re-sell them to an SVX member looking for them... WHo knows though, I might just keep spare parts incase I break them :)... Try to give us atleast a month notice before ordering them though... I have to set aside money a Looooong way in advance... :(

~ Chris

sicksubie
09-26-2008, 10:57 PM
updates????

Nevin
09-26-2008, 11:06 PM
YES, actually! I was thinking of updating either tonight or tomorrow, but I suppose now it'll be tonight!

Anyway, I know this is taking a long time, but I'm depending on someone else to do a good amount of the grunt work for me (our guy in CA) like... actually taking his car to them and everything, and getting them the spare parts to make a jig with. Anyway, I just received a message from him on wednesday that he plans on getting his spare parts to them this weekend so that they can finally get started on making a bar.

If I had known further in advance this is what they were waiting on I would have sent them out myself. However, since I am in a sense "out of the loop" myself, I had assumed (incorrectly) that they had already figured that out and we were waiting on something else.

Anyway, basically... AWR is waiting on the spare parts to make jigs for the aftermarket pieces, and they should have what they need hopefully by the end of this coming week. I'll be back in touch with them soon though, and hopefully we'll know more before too long.

Thanks again for your patience everyone in dealing with this, and I am still trying to make it happen! I know it's been a while, so please hang in there!

Crazy_pilot
09-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Mini hijack: What would be the best metal to make the swaybar out of? School for me includes a large amount of machine shop time, and we happen to have a bender and dies, plus access to any school materials, and we're allowed to build anything we want on our own time.:cool:

So........

Blacky
09-30-2008, 07:15 AM
I believe chrome moly ranks right up there.

YourConfused
10-05-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm still in for the sway bar, end links and bushings. :) Is the signup list still accurate?

I am in still too. I don't get on here much anymore, but will keep an eye on this thread to see if this ever goes thru.

odepaj
10-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Im deffinetly still in!

For everything! Even the bigger bushings.

:D

Dustin

GreenMarine
10-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm still in too...

~ Chris

odepaj
11-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Any updates?

I think theres plenty of us who are interested to justify going through with this.........

LetItSnow
11-14-2008, 06:49 AM
[/autocross season]

Dangit!

Still, I will buy an adjustable rear swaybar. Someday...

Crazy_pilot
11-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm going to be making my own over the winter (hopefully), and I think I've figured out how to make a reasonably cheap bigger, but non-adjustable, front swaybar.

Nevin
11-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Well, unfortunately I have no new news as of late. The problem area is relying on someone else to get the parts/vehicle to the shop to get everything measured/fit. Not saying that our current member hasn't been a help, because he HAS! However, for whatever reasons he has not been able to get back to get test-fit or send in his stock pieces, we are yet waiting.

So, consider this me asking for someone else's help in addition to what we've done so far.

What I need is someone with a stock rear swaybar, links, and possibly front endlinks to ship them to AWR so they can make jigs for the parts and begin construction of our new pieces.

If you have one or all of these parts and you would like to help me out, I would VERY much appreciate it. Please just shoot me an email at nevinbontrager@gmail.com and we can set things up to get this moving (again.)

Sorry again for all the inconvenience I have made this, and I do appreciate you all being so patient! I apologize for not letting you all know sooner where we stand, and I'll try to keep you updated more often.

Again though, if you have the spare parts I described above PLEASE let me know so we can get some parts made! I'm still excited to get this done, and I hope you all are as well!

Thanks again!

-nevin

odepaj
11-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Any news?

If this is available before x-mas im in!

I'll even consider pulling the stuff off my pearly and mailing it....

Dustin

Nevin
11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Any news?

If this is available before x-mas im in!

I'll even consider pulling the stuff off my pearly and mailing it....

Dustin

Well, I may end up swapping parts off my blackie if need be. I'll have it on the hoist next week anyway, so I may just take off what I need then.

Does ANYBODY have these spare parts laying around? I will make it worth your time!

odepaj
11-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Well, I may end up swapping parts off my blackie if need be. I'll have it on the hoist next week anyway, so I may just take off what I need then.

Does ANYBODY have these spare parts laying around? I will make it worth your time!

My pearlie is up in the air, I can pull them tomorrow. Thats why I mentioned it.

odepaj
11-24-2008, 02:42 PM
PM sent because I really wanna get this going for us!

Dustin

Nevin
11-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey sorry Dustin, didn't mean to ignore you there! lol

Your PM has been responded too, and like I said, I'll get back to you as SOON as I hear anything.

sicksubie
11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I got a rear bar and endlinks that I could ship out this weekend.....

YourConfused
12-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Any new news on this?

odepaj
01-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Any new news on this?

My guess would be that it's not gonna happen :(

LetItSnow
01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Autocross is only 3 months away...

LetItSnow
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Autocross is only 2.5 months away...

odepaj
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Wishful thinking......

:(

SVXRide
02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
camber/caster plates (think massive front negative camber) make a world of difference when autoX'ing:cool:
-Bill

odepaj
02-10-2009, 02:45 AM
camber/caster plates (think massive front negative camber) make a world of difference when autoX'ing:cool:
-Bill

Camber/Caster plates with pillow ball top mounts are my goal!

Roll bars would be nice though :o

SVXRide
02-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Camber/Caster plates with pillow ball top mounts are my goal!

Roll bars would be nice though :o

Okay, so what are you waiting for? Sign up over in TOMSSVX's camber/caster thread.;):cool:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/500/Camber-Caster_stg_2_and_3.jpg

-Bill

Nevin
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
OK, I have good news to all who are still waiting for this swaybar project.

As AWR and the fellow who was going to be helping just haven't worked out, I have taken it upon myself to just go all out, and make it myself. I and a fellow who can buy steel (has a bender, etc...) decided that we're going to make a swaybar or die trying. Err, well, you get the idea.

Anyway, he's stopping at a steel supply place tomorrow and buying some 15/16" (22mm) round steel so we can fabricate something up.

My plan thus has changed as to what kind of bar we're going to have, but it's actually for the better. Plans are to weld a flange onto the end of the bar with 3 mounting holes, so YES it would be adjustable. I think I may just make due with the stock endlinks for now as those can be made pretty easily by just buying fittings, threading stuff, etc... So I'll just focus on making the bar itself, the associated brackets, and bushings.

So...I WANT to have a bar bent on saturday and then I can start messing around with adapter flanges, brackets and that sort of thing!

Anyway, let me know what you fellows think, and I'd be glad to answer any questions, or take suggestions about ideas you may have in regards to construction of said swaybar. Also, this could bring down costs since I don't have to be the middle-man, but rather am the one who is making them, so who knows, this could come out better than I had originally hoped. Another bonus is that I can take 10 or so orders at a time (whatever we decide to do) and just make them again whenever supplies run low.

Thanks again for your EXTREME patience, and I AM still trying to make this happen!

I will update with progress and pictures as I am able.

p.s. Bill, I am glad you guys have a camber plate thing going, cause I was wanting the same thing myself! I'd take a set of the stage 2's if you have them.

LetItSnow
02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
PLEASE make it adjustable.

Nevin
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it will be. lol No worries there.

Blacky
02-27-2009, 05:47 AM
If the fitting works out well, you may want to consider fabbing them out of chrome moly, if costs aren't too high.

sicksubie
02-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Dont the bends need to be heat treated?

Crazy_pilot
02-27-2009, 06:49 AM
They shouldn't need to be as long as the bar is cold worked. If it's heated for bending then yes, it should be tempered after bending.

I'm probably going to make mine out of 4130 steel.

Nevin
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with my buddy who stopped by the steel place today and he said they mentioned that we may want to consider stainless steel as it is stronger, and could therefore be of a smaller diameter which would also make the bar lighter. (Sorry, run-on sentence.) Our bender that we'll be using should be able to do all the work without heat, so I don't think we'll need to heat treat them. First I'm going to make the steel bar and see how that works and then see what differenences there would be in fitment, production, etc... Also, he said he wouldn't be able to get the steel til Monday, but that's fine with me. We'll hopefully get a piece monday night and start playing around with it!

Furthermore, I'm trying to rig up a way to measure the actual stiffness of the bars so I can compare data and that what we're doing is actually for the better! lol I don't think it would be necessary, but for curiousity's sake, I'll see what I can do.

Looking again at the endlinks, I think I will just leave them be for now. If I start having problems with deflection or breakage, then I'll look into what we can do. For the time being, I want to focus on this though. One thing at a time...

Blacky
02-27-2009, 05:23 PM
I can get you the formula for calculating the stiffness of different bars based on diameter. I know it doesn't take much of an increase in diameter for the stiffness to increase dramatically. Too much is definately not a good thing.

Crazy_pilot
02-27-2009, 10:27 PM
For measuring stiffness you need to first lock the bar in something like the swaybar bushings, but basically metal. As little flex in them as possible. Then you clamp one end so it can't move. Finally start hanging weight off the other end and measure the deflection as weight/degree of flex. Repeat with stocker and compare numbers.

Blacky
02-28-2009, 06:30 AM
The stiffness varies as the fourth power of the diameter so it doesn't take much. A 10% increase in diameter is good for almost 50% stiffness increase!

Nevin
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
For measuring stiffness you need to first lock the bar in something like the swaybar bushings, but basically metal. As little flex in them as possible. Then you clamp one end so it can't move. Finally start hanging weight off the other end and measure the deflection as weight/degree of flex. Repeat with stocker and compare numbers.

This was exactly the method I had in mind to compare different bars. Thank you, though!

LetItSnow
03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Autocross is only 48 days away. :(

Nevin
03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Ha! Well, I'm trying to get things going as best as I can. A friend of mine is talking to one of his engineering teachers for advice, and I grabbed a few books on suspension dynamics, etc... to get a hold of the matter.

Anyway, we decided to go with 4140 steel and I'm going to try a 22mm bar first. I have a feeling this will be an extrememly effective mod. It will still be adjustable (3 mounting holes I think) but the firmest of the settings I think will be very firm! Anyway, I've got all my bushings and stuff here (Energy Suspension greaseable polyurethane bushings) and I have a mount rigged up too that I think will work well.

Anyway, I'm still doing what I can! My computer broke here at home, so getting around to find one to update is kind of a hassle. lol Anyway, stay tuned for updates!!

LetItSnow
03-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Autocross is only 36 days away. :(

Johnybeas
03-23-2009, 11:08 PM
any idea what you're going to be selling them for when you finish since it's going to be your own kit now??

Nevin
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Umm, not sure on price. We're still trying to figure out if we need to heat-treat it with the method we're bending it in, or not. Also, the steel itself for the length we need will be costing about $80 itself, so we'll just have to wait and see!

Also, what would people prefer as to finish of the bar? Powdercoating would be nice, but will probably be more expensive whereas painting will be quicker and cheaper, but probably less durable. Any thoughts there?

Nomad
03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
My input would be : I don't care !! :) I'll go with the family..

LetItSnow
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Paint. This project has been too many years under way already.

Johnybeas
03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Paint. This project has been too many years under way already.

Fo sho... keep it cheap and quick, but still effective and anti rust like

Nevin
03-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Paint it is. Thank you! Now I need to think up an original color, lol.

Johnybeas
03-27-2009, 08:25 PM
as bland and boring and sometimes cliche as black may be you can never go wrong with it. my vote is for black it will match my custom crossmember for my tranny and my soon to come painted calipers and Koni GC's and well obviously my car...

Nomad
03-28-2009, 08:42 AM
I was thinking betwen gold plated or platinum plated ... :rolleyes: Sériously , black is the way to go !

Nevin
03-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Ha, ok ok. Well, I am going to visit a fellow on Monday to ask him about doing some bending for me. The fellow that was originally going to help me is all of a sudden busy and can't seem to help me when I ask! Anyway, I could also just leave them bare too, cut the cost a bit and just let you paint them whatever color you want.

I guess we can specify more when we get to that stage. I don't think I'll make it in time for you auto-X fellows, but I'm still trying, and I am as anxious to get it as you are.

Blacky
03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
As far as that goes, bare is as good as painted, at least where I live. I put a painted RSB on my truck and in 1 winter it was rust coloured not black.

LetItSnow
04-09-2009, 11:21 AM
17 days until autocross season. :(

bob_the_cook
04-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Hell, I don't even own my SVX yet and I'm already willing to pay for a new RSB. I'm amazed that there's so much interest, but noone that carries the parts.

Maybe this is an odd question, but has anyone sent emails to any of the big names like Whiteline, Perrin, Cobb, Rallitek ...etc? If so, gotten a response?

I just stopped by Rallitek (http://www.rallitek.com/swbarkitfr.html) yesterday to pick up F/R sway kit for my97 OBS. I will send them an email about the SVX clan as soon as I'm done with this posting.

Seems to me that a "mom-n-pop" shop may not be able to devote that kind of time to a project like this. A big shop already has the gear and materials to make the parts, they just need measurements and specs.

Obviously we're looking for adjustable RSB's, but what diameter would be ideal? 22, 23, 27? Can someone provide a SOA part# for the current bar? How large of an order are we talking about? Are the bars different lengths from MY92 to MY97?

just my $0.02...things to ponder.

P.S> see attachment for a standard letter to email (OFTEN!) to these companies. Maybe if we can prove there's interest, they will listen.

LetItSnow
04-10-2009, 10:01 AM
With COBB's track record of "vaporware", I would be surprised if tremendous, frequent promises followed with a bunch of nothing for years. It's happened before, and it's still going on. If you don't have a turbo or deep, deep pockets, you're nobody.

sicksubie
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
I have already talked to both Cobb and Perrin about rear bars.... No interest

boarderkid998
04-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Umm, not sure on price. We're still trying to figure out if we need to heat-treat it with the method we're bending it in, or not. Also, the steel itself for the length we need will be costing about $80 itself, so we'll just have to wait and see!

Also, what would people prefer as to finish of the bar? Powdercoating would be nice, but will probably be more expensive whereas painting will be quicker and cheaper, but probably less durable. Any thoughts there?

leave it bare metal we all no how to paint lets cut cost and get this out there.... i was a impreza man for years and i had a whiteline rsb and it was amazing how different it felt from stock... but they get chipped constantly from rocks and mud and debri that i painted mine if say 4 times.... so **** it and send it out raw

Nevin
04-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok, I stopped at a new metal shop about ten minutes ago to find some things out.

FYI, the other guy that was going to help me backed out and wasn't interested all of a sudden, so I had to pursue yet another route.

Haven't heard back from Dave (the new guy) yet, but I've had good results with him making things for me before, so I'm excited to see what we can do.

Anyway, I stopped in and told him what I needed done and what it was for and he was pretty interested. I also added that "if this one works well, I've got about 20 guys that would buy one pretty quickly." I told him that some other places I'd been trying kept falling through and that if he could help me out, it would pretty much mean some guaranteed business. He liked that idea! :lol:

Anyway, like I said, I'm still trying, and if he can make this happen quickly, I'd be quick to let you know!

Some things I'm pretty sure on:

1. It will be made of 4140 grade 7/8" (22mm) solid steel
2. Will utilize stock endlinks (for now)
3. Will use Energy Suspension polyurethane greasable bushings
4. It WILL be adjustable

The reasons I'm going to use the Energy suspension bushings are:

A. They are greaseable (duh)
B. Can be had at most any parts store (usually on the shelf)
C. Ease of availability means that if you like, you can just buy the bar itself from me and go get your own bushings IF you like.

Stay tuned for more...

Johnybeas
05-01-2009, 04:06 AM
updates? progress? price? pictures?????

Nomad
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
still waiting for info...:rolleyes:

Nevin
05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I am waiting for info as well.

Sorry for the long delay in response here. The best way to describe it is that I simply dropped the ball. I apologize. I've just been busy, yada yada, there's not really an excuse, just my bad. I'm sorry. I talked to the metal guy a week or so ago, and just hadn't gotten back to him yet.

However... stopped in and talked to him today though. He's going to get a few kinds of steel in, and I'm taking him my stock bar on saturday and we're going to see how a few types of steel compare. Hopefully I'll know something by the middle of next week. I told him that if this works, we can probably make about 20 more right away... lol

That's where we are right now...

Nomad
05-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Exellent! :)

Nevin
05-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Ok, I dropped my stock bar off at the metal shop today and he's going to order the metal and then bend one up and see what happens!

One step at a time... lol

Freeman
05-28-2009, 11:14 PM
So any news? Its been a while..

Nevin
05-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes, it HAS been a while. Thank you for asking.

I stopped in yesterday after work to see if he'd gotten to it yet. He has the steel, but hadn't found time to do it yet (admitting that he'd just kinda been lazy about it) and I asked him if he could have it by saturday and he said yes.

So, saturday after work I'm going to go pick it up, take some pictures, finish up my brackets, and see how it fits!

So... getting closer! Still not at the final product, but closer than we have been!

Nevin
05-30-2009, 12:10 PM
OK folks, you will all be glad to know that I have the first bar IN MY POSESSION! Went to the metal shop today and he finished it up quick for me, so I'm going to try to find time this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon to test-fit everything and get it mounted up.

One comment Dave (the machinist) made was "Wow, this thing is stiff, this thing was hard to bend. But I guess that's what you wanted, right?" I laughed and said "yep, that's the name of the game."

I've also contacted another well known svx-er to see if he'd be interested in trying one out to help me with R&D. After I get mine in, I'll send him one and after a few weeks we'll draw a conclusion. So what that means is, it'll still be a bit, but things are moving forward! I do not want to sell you guys something that is crap, so I am going to take the extra steps to make sure it works right before offering them for sale.

Thanks again so much for your patience, and hang on, cause we're close!

Crazy_pilot
05-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Pictures!!!

Nevin
05-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Ok. *deep breath* The day has come for me, and I finally have the first prototype bar installed ON MY CAR! Not even kidding, The first one is done, I welded up/fit everything this afternoon.

All I had was my cellphone, but I did take a bunch of pictures of the install and I will post them tomorrow afternoon.

In the meantime, here is ONE teaser. You'll see more tomorrow.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarinstall006.jpg

My first thoughts after going for a drive with this thing is.... SWEET. I don't want to say much more, cause I want to try to break things and find weaknesses first, but I was just very impressed. One thing is that I used slightly modified stock endlinks with this. For testing purposes it'll be fine, but rest assured, the ones I'm selling will have much better (stronger) and adjustable endlinks with heim joints. And yes, the bar IS adjustable.

Anyway, I'll post back up again tomorrow, but its getting close to bedtime, and I'm too excited to get all my thoughts together at the moment! All I have to say is thank you again for all your patience, and we are almost there. If you just stick with me a little longer, It'll be worth the wait.

Nevin
05-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok, thought I'd just post up some pictures of what I did yesterday.

Here's how it started. A 6' section of 7/8" 4140 steel tubing bent to match the stock bar.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarinstall001.jpg

Here's a the stock bar and the new bar side by side. Which one would YOU rather have? lol

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarinstall002.jpg

Fitting up the Energy Suspension bushings. The good news here is that these are an off the shelf part that can be had at most any parts store. I've been to two separate autozones and they both had them. They do need to be modified slightly though, but it turns out they fit right into the stock location!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarinstall005.jpg

Here's the endlink bracket test fit and tack welded into place.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarinstall007.jpg

Here's test fitting on the car to see if everything clears and what all else needs to be done.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarinstall008.jpg

As you can see, stock endlinks are what is on it now, but I'm going to rob some spherical balljoints (also known as heim joints) and hardware off another car of mine, until the parts I'm ordering arrive. With the stock endlinks, it would actually rub on the CV boot and probably tear it in the "soft" position, so for now I just set it on the middle, and I'll leave it there until I get the parts I need. You can see in the last photo where the two are in contact, so that is one thing that will be addressed.

I drove the car about 80 miles this afternoon, and it really delievered. I drove it HARD too, I know a fair amount of curvy roads around here, as well as a large number of local law enforcement... :) Just trying to treat it the same way that most of you probably will as soon as you get yours, lol. I should have a couple more by the end of the week and then I can send one to my second tester and we'll wait for him to see what he thinks. Also, I will not be revealing who the tester is, and I have asked him not to tell as well for confidentiality purposes. So I'd appreciate it if you would not ask.

Also, for the record my suspension is about as stock as it comes. The front of the car is lowered approximately 3/4" on modified stock springs, and my wheels are 16x8" RX-7 rims with 245/45wr16 Bridgestone Potenza RE750 tires, and that pretty much rounds it out. My tester's car is coilover equipped and sees a LOT of work, so I'm anxious to see how this performs.

Anyway, I'll be keeping you up to date as best I can, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

-nevin

immortal_suby
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Great news! Thanks for your work.

SVXRide
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
You really don't have to weld on the tab, just face off the bar and drill through holes. For the most part, you're following what I did a couple of years ago :cool: I used a torch to bend the rod, so I had to have it heat treated to bring it back up to the right strength.
-Bill
p.s. and yes, heim ends are the way to go;)
p.p.s save your time with testers, the bar works. You'll find that there is a noticeable difference when you change the attach point for the end links - you can actually dial is a fair amount of oversteer (and I'm running a 1 inch bar in the front!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/25587.jpg

Nevin
05-31-2009, 11:05 PM
You really don't have to weld on the tab, just face off the bar and drill through holes. For the most part, you're following what I did a couple of years ago :cool: I used a torch to bend the rod, so I had to have it heat treated to bring it back up to the right strength.
-Bill
p.s. and yes, heim ends are the way to go;)
p.p.s save your time with testers, the bar works. You'll find that there is a noticeable difference when you change the attach point for the end links - you can actually dial is a fair amount of oversteer (and I'm running a 1 inch bar in the front!)

Bill, thank you for the input! The reason though that I used a tab instead of drilling out the bar is that drilling a hole in it effectively makes it weaker. Granted, if you're not in the HARD setting, you probably wouldn't notice anyway, but I'd just like it to be as bulletproof as possible. I may reconsider though, if the welding causes some sort of problem. Or if I just get lazy, lol. I looked at a fair amount of other aftermarket bars though, and it seemed like a good amount of the adjustable ones were of this design.

Also, I'm going with a tester just because I want to have a second opinion on on the matter from my product firsthand, and this seems like the logical step. I just want it to go through as much crap as I can make it before it's ready to go. Call me pensive perhaps, I just want it right and I don't want to be known for making/selling crap.

And this thing was all cold bent. Dave and I agreed that as long as we could get it to bend, this would be the easiest and least time consuming way to go, and it seems to be holding up pretty good. When I told him what my plan was he more or less insisted that we not heat it.

I ordered the Aurora bearing catalogue today (they make GOOD Heim joints and hardware) so as soon as that gets here, I'll give them a call and order all that shhtuff!

SVXRide
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
I only use Aurora heims. Little pricey, but worth it. Make sure to also order the special coned washers that will save your *** if you ever have a heim end come apart on you.

As far as weakening the bar by drilling through it....nah ;). Theory says that it does, but practice has shown it doesn't. I've been running my bar for several years now with no issues whatsoever. Considering the reduction in strength that will result from the welding on of the tab, along with the possibility of snapping off the tab, I'd say go with the drilled through holes and save yourself some time and effort.

Don't worry about anything breaking with the rear bar. The breakage is with a larger front bar (trust me on this:rolleyes:) due to the sorry design of the end link attachment on the strut body.

Bill

Nevin
06-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Bill, your advice has been quite helpful and I very much appreciate it. After some consideration, please don't take it as me "stealing" your work, but I do think I will go with the non-tab design. Think of it rather as me taking your advice! You have been doing this much longer than I, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Plus like you say, this would cut down on fab time dramatically, and give me a shorter turnaround once production would start.

Also, Aurora seemed like the best (highest quality) to me, and I like having things on my car that are the best, lol. :) Military and aviation spec parts are good enough for me!

Tim
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm anxiously waiting the results for the test with coilovers :)

Johnybeas
06-05-2009, 12:18 AM
any idea what you're going to charge for them with the modded energy suspension parts and all??? looks great! exciting!

Seraphinwolf
06-11-2009, 05:12 AM
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/25587.jpg
them some purdy endlinks you got there? Mind if I ask where you got/made them from? I need to replace a bent front and figure upgrade them all.

I'm anxiously waiting the results for the test with coilovers :)
What he said. Just as soon as I'm done loosing all my money to my Impreza first. :)
-Gaddis

Johnybeas
07-09-2009, 03:28 PM
any news on this? it's already been another month and no posts, just curious how it's coming along. :)

Nevin
07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
any news on this? it's already been another month and no posts, just curious how it's coming along. :)

Thanks for asking, Johnybeas. Yes, it has been too long, and I'm sorry for the delay. I've had some problems with endlink part...stuff, and I'm trying to figure something else out, but I was also gone with my band all last week and hadn't gotten to it. Things are still in motion, but I realize my untimeliness is not convenient for any of you.

Thank you for all your patience! You deserve better, and I will try my hardest to deliver in a more timely fashion.

redlightningsvx
07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Bump..................

TomsSVX
07-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I will hopefully have an update this weekend as long as the bar has arrived by then

Tom

Nevin
07-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Bump..................

My coilover tester has been shipped his bar, and he will be reporting back to me shortly, I hope with good news. Until then, we wait. Which, I might add, you are all doing so wonderfully.

LetItSnow
07-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Until then, we wait. Which, I might add, you are all doing because you really don't have much of an alternative.
fix0red. :p

TomsSVX
07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Got the bar in this afternoon after doing a control run w/ the stock bar. I had already made the assumption that w/ the coilovers we would not see much difference in handling.... Well, I was wrong:p

The bar is painless to install if you know how to turn a wrench. I LOVE the fact that Nevin has chosen grease-able bushings as squeaky rear bushings are embarrasing:rolleyes:.

Driving impressions, the rear is MUCH more planted through turns and turn-in. I can throw the car around w/ very little rear body roll and never break traction. Safely approach turns well over speed without worrying too much about the back end comming around and has also reduced some of the car's tendency to brake steer. Granted this is all dependent upon your tires but mine are sticking nicely in the rear now. WELL worth it mod!!

Tom

Nevin
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this Tom, and for your feedback. For me, having a second party go over what I'm doing and giving me feedback is a big help, so again THANK YOU TOM!

So ok, there's bar #002. :)

Also, it has been almost 2 months since I have installed the first prototype bar on my car, and I have no issues so far. It works great, doesn't squeak ever like other bars I've used in the past (because of the greaseable bushings) and it really raises the driving confidence of this car to an even higher level! Something that I would not have thought could have been improved upon. Overall, this endeavor has been worth it, and I'm exicted to pass it on to the rest of you!

However, just so you know, we are still a few weeks away from completion (please try to remember this is something I'm just doing in my spare time, of which I do not have enough) so don't get too antsy yet, but we are getting there. I need to iron out a few more details and get pre-order stuff figured out, as well as finalizing pricing. As of now it's going to be in the $200-ish neighborhood + shipping.

In the meantime, I have come to the conclusion (with the help of Tom's input) that it is NOT feasible to have an adjustable bar. The location/geometry of the suspension on both a stock car as well as a coilover-equipped car simply do not allow the adjustment/safety that is required for me to give this my okay. Parts will rub, bad things will happen, and it will come back to haunt me. So no adjustability. I wanted badly to try to make it happen, but it simply won't work.

Also, be aware that I will require pre-payment of some type...More on this later. I simply do not have the $$ available from my own personal funds to just go out and pay for all of this, nor do I expect anyone else would want to either.

Anyway, I'm still moving forward, and I thank you all kindly for your willingness to be patient with me. I'm trying very hard to make this work for the sake of you, the SVX enthusiasts, so please bear with me!

Nomad
07-26-2009, 08:24 PM
If this bar is worth it , we will wait.... for my part at least! :) I've just installed Tom's intake ( 700$ Can with shipping and handling to cross to Canada ) and my car seams to want a new timing belt ... :mad: but , i will still have the money when you'll need it . Just say the word when you'll finalise this project and be ready to ship ! :rolleyes:

Nevin
07-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Also, I'll probably arrange a bulk buy for the first 10 or 15 bars, then just do then on a case by case basis after that. So, if you don't have it when I start the first BB, it probably won't be a huge deal. Just FYI...You should still be able to get one after that.

subbieatnz
07-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Do you have any pics showing the bar in finished state.. like what you will be selling to every one?
and all the bits and pieces that will go with it?

Mike621
07-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Subscribed. I will be listening for when the group buy is set. :)

sicksubie
07-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Final cost?

SVXRide
07-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Got the bar in this afternoon after doing a control run w/ the stock bar. I had already made the assumption that w/ the coilovers we would not see much difference in handling.... Well, I was wrong:p

The bar is painless to install if you know how to turn a wrench. I LOVE the fact that Nevin has chosen grease-able bushings as squeaky rear bushings are embarrasing:rolleyes:.

Driving impressions, the rear is MUCH more planted through turns and turn-in. I can throw the car around w/ very little rear body roll and never break traction. Safely approach turns well over speed without worrying too much about the back end comming around and has also reduced some of the car's tendency to brake steer. Granted this is all dependent upon your tires but mine are sticking nicely in the rear now. WELL worth it mod!!

Tom

I could have told you that!;):lol:
-Bill
p.s. just checked my voicemail - I'll call you on the ride home this evening

Nevin
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Here is a picture I took of Tom's bar before I sent it to him. In the photo is the bar, the bushings, hardware, and endlinks. Pretty much everything you'd need, except for greasing your fittings.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/summer09023.jpg

His bar is not painted, nor was mine. I'm still up in the air about what to do for finish on them. Anything but powdercoating will get surface rust, but powdercoating will add time and expense to the project.

Final cost? Still not set in stone. Like I said before though, it'll be right in the $200 neighborhood I imagine.

Tim
07-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Here is a picture I took of Tom's bar before I sent it to him. In the photo is the bar, the bushings, hardware, and endlinks. Pretty much everything you'd need, except for greasing your fittings.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/summer09023.jpg

His bar is not painted, nor was mine. I'm still up in the air about what to do for finish on them. Anything but powdercoating will get surface rust, but powdercoating will add time and expense to the project.

Final cost? Still not set in stone. Like I said before though, it'll be right in the $200 neighborhood I imagine.

Those are some beefy endlinks :D

SVXRide
07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Nevin,
Can't tell from the pics - are you including the special conical washers with the heim ends? I'd strongly suggest you do, as they'll keep the end from coming totally apart if it fails.
-Bill
p.s. epoxy spray paint will work just fine on the bar

shotgunslade
07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Sign me up if I'm not already signed up.

Nevin
07-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Nevin,
Can't tell from the pics - are you including the special conical washers with the heim ends? I'd strongly suggest you do, as they'll keep the end from coming totally apart if it fails.
-Bill
p.s. epoxy spray paint will work just fine on the bar

Yes Bill, the washers are included.

subbieatnz
07-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Yes Bill, the washers are included.

What do these washers look like?

Johnybeas
07-28-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm definitely in, as much as I wanted that pretty looking polished IM you did, I'd definitely throw $200 a hell of a lot easier for a new rear sway bar, that's the one part of the SVX suspension I want more than anything.

I was following a Mercedes through parleys canyon the other day and and we were both driving quite quickly, he was able to take the turns faster though because he didn't have the rear end sway like I did.

Definitely put me down for one I'm good for it, maybe if we get enough for the original buy in maybe we can get an uber deal! :) (high hopes right?)

Nevin
07-28-2009, 11:23 AM
What do these washers look like?

Well, technically I guess you'd call it a spacer. It spaces the ball joint end out enough so things don't rub, and then the nut (a self-locking unit) is then put on afterwards. What I mean is that one of these would go on each side of the heim joint so it still has full range of motion, but they do double as a washer for the nut.

I've used them for years on other cars and had no problems.

As far as buying more and getting a better deal, I don't think that'll happen. It's not like I'm placing an order with a company and then they're shipping them out. I'm driving over to the machine shop, he's ordering a bunch of metal and bending it, and then I order everything else, do the rest of the work, and ship it out. Doing orders bigger than 10 at a time would be nothing more than a bigger hassle. I will physically be working on each individual bar, cutting, drilling, etc.. and making sure everything fits right. I'm honestly really not looking forward to when I start doing this whole process, lol, it's going to just DEVOUR time as I'm just doing this as a one-man show.

Mike621
07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, technically I guess you'd call it a spacer. It spaces the ball joint end out enough so things don't rub, and then the nut (a self-locking unit) is then put on afterwards. What I mean is that one of these would go on each side of the heim joint so it still has full range of motion, but they do double as a washer for the nut.

I've used them for years on other cars and had no problems.

As far as buying more and getting a better deal, I don't think that'll happen. It's not like I'm placing an order with a company and then they're shipping them out. I'm driving over to the machine shop, he's ordering a bunch of metal and bending it, and then I order everything else, do the rest of the work, and ship it out. Doing orders bigger than 10 at a time would be nothing more than a bigger hassle. I will physically be working on each individual bar, cutting, drilling, etc.. and making sure everything fits right. I'm honestly really not looking forward to when I start doing this whole process, lol, it's going to just DEVOUR time as I'm just doing this as a one-man show.

I wholeheartedly give you credit for coming through with what so far is a solid product that is another proven enhancement for our cars. :)

Nevin
07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
I wholeheartedly give you credit for coming through with what so far is a solid product that is another proven enhancement for our cars. :)

Well thanks Mike, I appreciate that. I prefer to wait to hear nice things until people actually have them though! :lol: I don't want to talk it up and have it not fill the hype... But I do believe this will compliment any SVX's handling prowess. :)

Tim
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm honestly really not looking forward to when I start doing this whole process, lol, it's going to just DEVOUR time as I'm just doing this as a one-man show.

Awesome job with everything. Just make sure you take value in your time and charge accordingly. This way it's fair for you and you don't get burnt out.

immortal_suby
07-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Count me in for one of the first 10 and I will gladly pre-pay you for it. I'll pre-pay now if it helps. Thanks again for all of your work!

Johnybeas
07-29-2009, 10:50 PM
hey this is totally awesome you are doing this! I'm really excited! The biggest difference between our community and many others, most of the coolest stuff starts from one man(or woman)'s hard work and passion for this awesome vehicle. I think we really have a unique community for this awesome unique car!

I hope you will be able to get through these quickly enough that you don't start hating the fact that you got yourself into it. lol

LetItSnow
08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
447 days and counting. :(

Johnybeas
08-22-2009, 04:19 PM
testing = successful
production date = ???

Rear Sway Bar + Johny's SVX = :D

WTF?? :lol:
Quit bein a tease and lets start an order already!!!
pretty please?????????????

hahahahahaha

immortal_suby
08-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Chill out guys!
Take your time Nevin, we want it to be what you want it to be. I appreciate your effort. It must be alot of work to pull this together.

superru
08-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Right on! so are you making these? having a shop with a CNC bender do them? what material? heat treating? sounds sweet! i always need the technical nitty gritty! just for info.

lhopp77
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Right on! so are you making these? having a shop with a CNC bender do them? what material? heat treating? sounds sweet! i always need the technical nitty gritty! just for info.

Read the whole thread. I think what you are asking has been adequately covered. :p

Lee

lhopp77
08-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey Kevin, put me down for 2--one for me and one for my son. Whether in first 10 or second 10--its all good. Also, when you need the money, just let me know.

Your hard work is definitely appreciated. There seems to be a lot of very impatient people on here, but I totally understand how it can be with a one man, part time project. Particularly when potential assistors change their minds.

Lee

Nevin
08-31-2009, 09:18 PM
First off, sorry I've been so long in-between my posts here. I'm no trying to leave you guys hanging! Also, thanks everyone for the support so far, I really do appreciate it.

That said, I just thought I would let you guys know that today I stopped and ordered the material for TEN bars. Any more than that number, and getting everything straight will simply be a nightmare. Also, I'm going out on a limb and not requiring any downpayment for a "holding" or anything like that. I am investing my own money into these simply because I know they will work and that you'll be satisfied. When the time comes, the proper "group buy" stuff will be gone through, and there will be a new thread as far as that is concerned. Once the first ten are out I'll wait and see how they go for a bit as far as installation, performance, etc... And then we'll just take it from there and see how it all goes.

Also know that nothing will be shipped until everything is ready to go. Every bar will be test-fit on my own car to ensure proper fitment, and I'm still waiting on a few other small details, but they shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, just wanted you all to be kept up on on my (very, very slow) progress and to re-assure you that this IS happening!

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Nevin
08-31-2009, 09:21 PM

I'm curious, have you been in Tom's silver car yet and driven it? Any thoughts on that matter there, mike? Just curious.

immortal_suby
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
When the time comes, the proper "group buy" stuff will be gone through, and there will be a new thread as far as that is concerned.

Great news! Please let me know if you do end up needing money in advance, I'd be glad to send it now.
Thanks again!

lhopp77
09-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Great news! Please let me know if you do end up needing money in advance, I'd be glad to send it now.
Thanks again!

Same here X2

Lee

superru
09-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Nice work man! i see it's been a bit of a problem getting shops to fab your bar, if you need some shop to fab up some bars let me know.
A customer of mine has a CNC bender and heat treat ovens.. They mfg springs, so also have the software and engineering to have stress calcs and deflection numbers ETC..

sowise
09-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Count me in I have been looking into doing much the same but I see you have come alot further! I am definitely interested and money is available upfront if needed.

tubbstcg
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Bringing this thread back up because i dont want it to die :)

Nevin
09-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Bringing this thread back up because i dont want it to die :)

I don't want it to die either. That's why my shop is bending some bars for me right now!

tubbstcg
09-30-2009, 06:19 PM
you my friend deserve a statue :) or at least some extra moneys from this glorious endeavor :lol:

Nevin
09-30-2009, 06:21 PM
you my friend deserve a statue :) or at least some extra moneys from this glorious endeavor :lol:

HA! Hardly! I'm taking waaaaaayy too long...

But thanks.

tubbstcg
09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
well the people who have offered the sway bars before you can give you heck :rolleyes: other than that don't take any crap :lol:

Johnybeas
10-15-2009, 01:50 AM
bump for life, patiently waiting :)

LetItSnow
10-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Ever'body relax. It hasn't even been 500 days yet!
That's Sunday.

Nevin
11-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Well I stopped by the metal shop last saturday and he had the metal in but had not yet bent them, so I was kinda let down because he'd had them in for a while. However, I told him I would REALLY like to have them by this coming saturday simply because I was keeping people waiting and I did not like doing that.

Also, I have ordered 10 sets of bushings (energy suspension greaseable type) and they should be in this week. In addition to that, I ordered a set of endlinks from a new company because my old source fell through. I bought one pair two try for fitment/performance on my car, and I was quite impressed with their product. I have since ordered and received 5 more sets, and will order 5 more again next week to bring the total to 10.

I've also been given contact information for a local powdercoater, and plan on organizing things with him this week.

After I get the bars in, I'll test fit each one, stamp their serial numbers, and then have them powdercoated. So, I imagine we're still a month out, but I'm starting to get more and more parts in, so I just thought I'd let everyone know.

SVXRide
11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Nevin,
Good job! :cool:
-Bill

Nevin
11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Nevin,
Good job! :cool:
-Bill

Thanks Bill, you're alright. :)

shotgunslade
11-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Nevin:

Great job. Just in time for getting my baby back together. Can we pick powdercoat colors? Would like dark bronze if you can get it.

Dan

SVXRide
11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Nevin:

Great job. Just in time for getting my baby back together. Can we pick powdercoat colors? Would like dark bronze if you can get it.

Dan

Dan,
Got to complement the subframe, right? ;):cool::D
-Bill

NeedForSpeed
11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Great job Nevin :)

Question, what do the guys that do the heat-treat on the bars have to say about the temperatures used for powder-coating?

A friend repairs and rebuilds wheels, hates powder coat. When his customers powdercoat his parts against his advise, the temperatures to powder coat his thin aluminum half-sections warps the piece. Powder-coat is baked on at 400+ degrees? Anyway, I'm no expert, just relaying what I was told, but I would like to hear what the guys that heat-treat the bars have to say about the heat-treat temperatures used to powder-coat? Does it adversely affect the heat-treat on the bars? :confused:

odepaj
11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm still in it for a bar!

Can send the money now even, just let me know.

If no one else has a problem with it, could I specifically ask for bar #06 (it's my lucky number) :)

shotgunslade
11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Yep. Going to be a pretty spiffy looking machine. But, if the sway bar can't be power-coated, maybe I will have it epoxied. I need to see what paints or coatings can stand the flexion in the bar.

Crazy_pilot
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Great job Nevin :)

Question, what do the guys that do the heat-treat on the bars have to say about the temperatures used for powder-coating?

A friend repairs and rebuilds wheels, hates powder coat. When his customers powdercoat his parts against his advise, the temperatures to powder coat his thin aluminum half-sections warps the piece. Powder-coat is baked on at 400+ degrees? Anyway, I'm no expert, just relaying what I was told, but I would like to hear what the guys that heat-treat the bars have to say about the heat-treat temperatures used to powder-coat? Does it adversely affect the heat-treat on the bars? :confused:

Steel is heat treated.....*walks into metal shop to check oven temperature*....at 890 degrees F. 400 isn't a problem.

NeedForSpeed
11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Steel is heat treated.....*walks into metal shop to check oven temperature*....at 890 degrees F. 400 isn't a problem.

Thanks Chris :) Do aluminum parts lose integrity when powder-coated? :confused:

Johnybeas
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
YAY! so excited! I can't wait for these to be done! I'm in for one still too! :)

If we can pick numbers, if I can get in first batch I'd totally be down for 9. if I have to wait for second set then 13 :) those are my lucky numbers :)

I love your work nevin, all of it is so quality! can't wait to get a sway bar!

lhopp77
11-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Still in also for two (2) if available.

Lee

Nevin
11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
As far as color is concerned, my favorite color is blue, so I'm going to call the color "Bontrager Blue" and that's what they'll all be.

In regards to the "heating process," yeah, these aren't being heat treated anyway, we wanted to keep them cold. And like it has been mentioned, 400* in the oven won't phase this steel at all, so no worries there. Otherwise, every other company that sells suspension components such as this would also NOT powdercoat them.

Also, in regards to sales, I think the most fair way to go about this is to go back to the top of the list, and ask the first 10 people who signed up if they are still interested, and work our way down. I don't want to short-change anyone who has been waiting a long time, and if you're #11, then I'm sorry but you'll just have to wait til the next batch. Also, I would prefer to not sell more than one per customer in these initial sales. If these go well (which I am anticipating they will) then I can't see why we couldn't have another ten ready to go a month after the 1st batch is out.

Keep in mind that I am doing these on a very small sclale, so 10 is as large of a group as I would like to do at a time. Once we get the ball rolling, that could change, but I don't imagine there being THAT great of a demand for these. I do hope you all understand.

shotgunslade
11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Nevin:

Have you updated the list since it was at #14?

1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj
11. Techy101
12. Nomad
13. Afbeefcake[/quote]
14. svxsubaru1

I think I put my iron in the fire on 08-03-2008, 12:27 PM .

Nevin
11-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Nevin:

Have you updated the list since it was at #14?

1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj
11. Techy101
12. Nomad
13. Afbeefcake
14. svxsubaru1

I think I put my iron in the fire on 08-03-2008, 12:27 PM .[/QUOTE]

Well, technically I'm off the list since I already have mine. The first time that I saw ten others besides me would have been post #27. So, people #2-11 would be the first 10, so to speak. If they would not want them, then I suppose their "slot" would open up.

We'll cross that bridge when we get there. They're still not DONE, so this is all just kinda trivial until I have pictures of ten finished swaybars laying on the ground ready to ship out.

immortal_suby
11-02-2009, 07:27 PM
1. nevin
2. immortal_suby
3. LetItSnow
4. Sov13t
5. GreenMarineSVX
6. Tim
7. Shaun -YourConfused
8. cozykat
9. Craig (ridered777)
10. Odepaj
11. Techy101
12. Nomad
13. Afbeefcake
14. svxsubaru1

Just in case I am not on here when you ask the question for the first 10. The answer is YES! I still want one. :)

LetItSnow
11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I've gotta sit this round out. Replacing my engine ate up a good chunk of change. :( Congrats to whoever just made the cut. ;)

ridered777
11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm still in for mine whenever this happens. :)

I'd be willing to "trade" serial numbers if someone wants #9...

I'd like 3 or 7 if possible...:p

Ok I can see this getting out of hand. :lol:

Tim
11-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Wow, i totally forgot I was on this list. :lol:

I'm still in depending on cost.

YourConfused
11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm still in and I'd like to keep the #7 serial number.

lhopp77
11-03-2009, 09:46 AM
This will be fun to sort out. I saw a lot of "interest" throughout the thread, but some interested parties never said they would buy one. It does look like you will have the first 10 sold out of the original list of 14, but I will take any available and will pay whenever you desire. If I have to wait for the second 10--that is fine too. :)

Lee

LetItSnow
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey, I was totally in for this for the first 440 days. :p ;)

shotgunslade
11-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Best I can tell, I am right behind svxsubaru1, unless the following post from Wikedjuggalo constitutes an expression of interest:
Well July 18th has past any word :O?

x. nevin
1. immortal_suby
x. LetItSnow
2. Sov13t
3. GreenMarineSVX
4. Tim
5. Shaun -YourConfused
6. cozykat
7. Craig (ridered777)
8. Odepaj
9. Techy101
10. Nomad
11. Afbeefcake[/quote]
12. svxsubaru1
13. Shotgunslade

ridered777
11-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah this is going to be a mess...

On the bright side, that slides me into the #7 serial number slot :p

As you have already purchased the materials Nevin, should we be getting ready to pay soon? Maybe a down payment of some sort? I feel bad setting you back all that money...

Best I can tell, I am right behind svxsubaru1, unless the following post from Wikedjuggalo constitutes an expression of interest:

x. nevin
1. immortal_suby
x. LetItSnow
2. Sov13t
3. GreenMarineSVX
4. Tim
5. Shaun -YourConfused
6. cozykat
7. Craig (ridered777)
8. Odepaj
9. Techy101
10. Nomad
11. Afbeefcake
12. svxsubaru1
13. Shotgunslade[/QUOTE]

Nevin
11-03-2009, 04:37 PM
No, I am NOT requiring a down payment or a "saver" payment of any type. The main reason for this is that I want you all to be able to buy with confidence. Meaning, since I still am unsure of the date that they will be available and ready to ship, I do not want to be the one holding anyone's money. If I knew an exact date, then MAYBE, but I think this approach is best. Once you first ten have yours and you are convinced we have a good product on our hands, then I will consider forming "group buys" and will think about taking down-payments if it makes people happy...as long as I can keep things on a schedule. I don't want to be the guy who takes people's money and then takes too long to deliver. I don't know about any of the rest of you, but I've been ripped off in deals like this before, and I honestly don't want that to happen to anyone else. It just plain sucked. My word and my reputation are things that I take very seriously, so that's why I am taking this approach.

I do hope this makes sense to all of you.

And honestly, all this "calling" serial numbers... It just makes me laugh. We'll see what happens, and maybe you'll get your lucky number, but I doubt it. lol

So I hope you understand that I'm not discriminating against one person, but all of you equally. :lol:

Also, as I am still unsure on total cost until I get everything back, I still do not have a price set in stone. It's looking like it will be APPROXIMATELY $240 SHIPPED, but that could still go either way a few dollars.

Johnybeas
11-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah this is going to be a mess...

On the bright side, that slides me into the #7 serial number slot :p

As you have already purchased the materials Nevin, should we be getting ready to pay soon? Maybe a down payment of some sort? I feel bad setting you back all that money...

12. svxsubaru1
13. Shotgunslade
14. Johnybeas
one more person drop and I get my 13 lol, I guess I'm 14 I didn't realize I took so long to speak up. I totally was interested from the begining.

shotgunslade
11-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I think GreenMarineSVX may be out, since he doesn't have an SVX anymore. But. maybe not, you never can tell.

Nevin
11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I'll probably just PM everyone indiviually and ask them if they want one, and then just go the next person on the list accordingly. We'll just wait and see I guess.

Anyway I called the fellow at the metal shop today and he said they started on them, and that I could pick the bars up saturday morning. So sunday afternoon I'll hopefully get to start working on fitting, cutting, drilling, and stamping them and see what happens.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

sowise
11-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Please make sure my name is still on your PM list I am interested I was looking at the stock one on my car the other day and it is so small...

Nevin
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Please make sure my name is still on your PM list I am interested I was looking at the stock one on my car the other day and it is so small...

Yes, they are tiny. lol

I'm excited to hear what you all think when you get them on. Honestly for me, it just took the car's handling limits, and just put them on stilts! I am just as excited to get these done as you guys are to have them.

And I'll write up a list of who to contact for myself this weekend and go from there.

sowise
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
So how about an official name for these instead of just "aftermarket" the Nevin Rear Sway bar sounds pretty good. haha but really you should put your name or mark on this in some way since you are forking out the time and money etc to have them made. People should be able to trace this back to you or be able to post it as a specific upgrade in their lists of mods.

Nevin
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
So how about an official name for these instead of just "aftermarket" the Nevin Rear Sway bar sounds pretty good. haha but really you should put your name or mark on this in some way since you are forking out the time and money etc to have them made. People should be able to trace this back to you or be able to post it as a specific upgrade in their lists of mods.

I'm calling it the "Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar."

Seems appropriate enough to me! :D

Johnybeas
11-07-2009, 11:58 AM
That sounds cool, could you stamp them to say "Bontrager" or "Bontrager Works" that would make them more identifiable too :) just a thought.

Nevin
11-07-2009, 12:17 PM
That sounds cool, could you stamp them to say "Bontrager" or "Bontrager Works" that would make them more identifiable too :) just a thought.

I know what I have in mind. You'll just have to wait and see. :)

Nevin
11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Well today is a good day. I have updates, good news, and bad news unfortunately.

Bad news first, but it is directly related to good news, so I have to tell them together. I picked up the swaybars today!!! But....unfortunately, they bent one incorrectly, and it simply won't work, they got the bend in the wrong spot. So... I have them in my posession, but the number is now just 9.

That said, I'll give whoever would have been #10 a few bucks off when we get around to the 2nd batch, to help them deal with their heartache.

But, the good news is that I have the bars. Next on the "to-do" list is measure, fit, cut, drill, stamp, and check everything to make sure it all fits up like it should. After that is all done, off to powdercoating they go!

Also, I got a few other parts in, so I thought I'd share with all of you, just to help keep you on the edge of your seats.

I took some pictures with my phone, so they're not of the BEST quality, but you get the idea...

Here are the 9 swaybars plus the stock bar sitting in the trunk of my mx-6.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts010.jpg

Here is a set of 10 energy suspension greaseable 22mm polyurethane bushings that arrived today.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts012.jpg

Here are half of the endlinks and cone-washers for the endlinks.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts013.jpg

And here is a close-up of one of the endlinks.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts014.jpg

I ordered the rest of the enlinks and washers today so they should be here... thursday-ish, which is fine, because I honestly don't have enough freetime this week to get to fitting everything until thursday night anyway. Also of note is that these endlinks are the same length as the factory pieces. Since the bars literally bolt right in the same spot where the stock one was, I thought it would be a good idea to retain factory suspension geometry. These just also happen to be MUCH beefier than the factory endlinks. :) The pictures aren't QUITE "life-size" but the endlinks measure 6" from eye to eye. (hole to hole, for those not in the know)

Anyway, just thought you'd all like to know that progress IS being made, and I'll keep you posted as to when we're ready to go.

Thanks again!

-nevin

Tim
11-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Well today is a good day. I have updates, good news, and bad news unfortunately.

Bad news first, but it is directly related to good news, so I have to tell them together. I picked up the swaybars today!!! But....unfortunately, they bent one incorrectly, and it simply won't work, they got the bend in the wrong spot. So... I have them in my posession, but the number is now just 9.

That said, I'll give whoever would have been #10 a few bucks off when we get around to the 2nd batch, to help them deal with their heartache.

But, the good news is that I have the bars. Next on the "to-do" list is measure, fit, cut, drill, stamp, and check everything to make sure it all fits up like it should. After that is all done, off to powdercoating they go!

Also, I got a few other parts in, so I thought I'd share with all of you, just to help keep you on the edge of your seats.

I took some pictures with my phone, so they're not of the BEST quality, but you get the idea...

Here are the 9 swaybars plus the stock bar sitting in the trunk of my mx-6.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts010.jpg

Here is a set of 10 energy suspension greaseable 22mm polyurethane bushings that arrived today.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts012.jpg

Here are half of the endlinks and cone-washers for the endlinks.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts013.jpg

And here is a close-up of one of the endlinks.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts014.jpg

I ordered the rest of the enlinks and washers today so they should be here... thursday-ish, which is fine, because I honestly don't have enough freetime this week to get to fitting everything until thursday night anyway. Also of note is that these endlinks are the same length as the factory pieces. Since the bars literally bolt right in the same spot where the stock one was, I thought it would be a good idea to retain factory suspension geometry. These just also happen to be MUCH beefier than the factory endlinks. :) The pictures aren't QUITE "life-size" but the endlinks measure 6" from eye to eye. (hole to hole, for those not in the know)

Anyway, just thought you'd all like to know that progress IS being made, and I'll keep you posted as to when we're ready to go.

Thanks again!

-nevin

If this was a facebook post, I'd "like" this.

Nevin
11-09-2009, 05:54 PM
If this was a facebook post, I'd "like" this.

Hahaha, thanks. I do what I can.

Nevin
11-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Ok, got some work done tonight. Got 6 of them cut and did some fitment tests. A couple of the bars didn't get bent QUITE right, so I'll swing by the shop tomorrow or saturday maybe and see if we can just straighten them out quick. Other than that, things are going alright, and I now have all my parts in!

Just thought I'd let you know.

-nevin

ridered777
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I can haz more pictures for to drool?:lol:

Nevin
11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I can haz more pictures for to drool?:lol:

You betcha!

....tomorrow. :)

Nevin
11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, it's tomorrow, so here are a couple pictures from last night.

All the stuff laying on the floor...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts003.jpg

6 of the bars measured and trimmed, waiting for more work...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts008.jpg

Here's a familiar sight... the car on the hoist, so I can tinker on it.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/swaybarparts004.jpg

And...That's all for now! I'm going to try to get more work done sunday afternoon, so we'll see how that goes. I'd like to take them to the powdercoater next saturday, so... yeah!

sowise
11-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Wow looking good! what color of powder coating are you considering? Universal Black? Some kind of silver/grey? Subaru blue? Just curious...

Nevin
11-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow looking good! what color of powder coating are you considering? Universal Black? Some kind of silver/grey? Subaru blue? Just curious...

Like I said before, they'll be blue. I"m going to call it Bontrager Blue, but I suppose that it is close to world rally blue though, so I suppose subaru blue is close too!

Johnybeas
11-15-2009, 10:03 PM
lol mas pictures??? me wants to see it installeedededed

Nevin
11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Ok, I got more work done tonight. Two are all done and ready for powdercoating, and the other 7 just need to be drilled and stamped.

I should get the rest of them done tomorrow night, and then hopefully I can get them to the powdercoater this weekend!

We're getting there!

-nevin

RoughSilver92
11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I am curious what type of steel is being used. I was always under the impression that sway bars were made from spring steel, but I have seen no mention of spring steel anywhere. Are these sway bars spring steel of mild steel?

Crazy_pilot
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
4130/4140 is the typical steel used for swaybars. It is a high strength, low alloy steel that uses chromium and molybdenum (Chromoly) as primary components. Spring steel isn't really necessary because the amount of twist that the bar undergoes is spread out over a fairly large length. Also, spring steel doesn't have the stiffness of 41-series steels, which would reduce it's effectiveness.

icingdeath88
11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
You guys got me curious, how much are these going to cost? And how exactly does it change the way the car drives?

RoughSilver92
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
4130/4140 is the typical steel used for swaybars. It is a high strength, low alloy steel that uses chromium and molybdenum (Chromoly) as primary components. Spring steel isn't really necessary because the amount of twist that the bar undergoes is spread out over a fairly large length. Also, spring steel doesn't have the stiffness of 41-series steels, which would reduce it's effectiveness.

I see. Good information to know.:)

Nevin
11-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Here's another update of what I would consider... how do you say... VERY GOOD NEWS!?

So, talked to the powdercoater tonight and I'm taking them there on saturday. I'm taking them there on saturday because I FINISHED THE FIRST ROUND TONIGHT!!

Here are, for your viewing pleasure, the first BontragerWorks 22mm rear sway bars serial numbers 003-011 in order, and stamped for your viewing pleasure. FYI, I have #001, and YT has #002. :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/finishedswaybars005.jpg

Here's a closeup, hopefully you can see the stamping a little better.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/wahwahrockwah/finishedswaybars001.jpg

After they're done with powdercoating, the next step is to put them in boxes and ship them to you! Then we'll start all over and do it again...

Sometime.
Maybe.
If I feel like it.

I promise it won't take so long the 2nd time around though!

p.s. I'm not sure how the powdercoating will do with the stamping, but I thought I'd try it just because. So, if it doesn't turn out well, I probably won't stamp them again, but I just thought it would look cool and add to the "Exclusivity." :)

icingdeath88
11-20-2009, 08:20 AM
they look great. are they all claimed?

Sov13t
11-20-2009, 01:56 PM
About that... is the sign up list still accurate? or what is going on with that? Whos getting what and how and when and ZOMG CAN I HAS IT NOW!?

teehee

NikFu S.
11-20-2009, 04:30 PM
*Readreadreadreadreadread...*

It's looking like it will be APPROXIMATELY $240 SHIPPED, but that could still go either way a few dollars.

SOLD. :p :lol: :(

Seriously if I'm not royally screwed on shipping I'm in balls deep.

Nevin
11-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, I still haven't double checked "the list" and emailed people or anything like that yet. I still need to figure out if I need to make another thread or something or what. I suppose I should get ahold of a moderator about that, so I'm not stepping over any lines...

That aside, yes the ones pictured are all spoken for, and you would know if one was yours, I think. lol

icingdeath88
11-21-2009, 12:22 AM
definitely do a round 2 then. and are there any options for front sway bars? or are the stock ones good?

shotgunslade
11-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Who has dropped out?

x. nevin
1. immortal_suby
x. LetItSnow
2. Sov13t
3. GreenMarineSVX
4. Tim
5. Shaun -YourConfused
6. cozykat
7. Craig (ridered777)
8. Odepaj
9. Techy101
10. Nomad
11. Afbeefcake[/quote]
12. svxsubaru1
13. Shotgunslade

lhopp77
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
x. nevin
1. immortal_suby
x. LetItSnow
2. Sov13t
3. GreenMarineSVX
4. Tim
5. Shaun -YourConfused
6. cozykat
7. Craig (ridered777)
8. Odepaj
9. Techy101
10. Nomad
11. Afbeefcake[/quote]
12. svxsubaru1
13. Shotgunslade
14. lhopp77
15. larryhopper1967

lhopp77
11-21-2009, 09:57 AM
definitely do a round 2 then. and are there any options for front sway bars? or are the stock ones good?

A stiffer front one would be great, but if you look at the design it would be MUCH more complicated to make.

Lee

Nevin
11-21-2009, 10:11 AM
A stiffer front one would be great, but if you look at the design it would be MUCH more complicated to make.

Lee

This is true. It would be helpful, but as far as cost/performance advantage goes, it's almost always in favor of upgrading the rear bar first. I've looked briefly at the front one, but like I said... You'll get more "bang for you buck" by upgrading the rear one.

And wait, so Letitsnow is out? I must have missed that. If that is the case, the first nine production bars will be shipped to these people:

1. immortal_suby sn 003
2. Sov13t sn004
3. GreenMarineSVX sn005
4. Tim sn006
5. Shaun -YourConfused sn007
6. cozykat sn008
7. Craig (ridered777) sn 009
8. Odepaj sn 010
9. Techy101 sn011

Do I have the list correct?

ridered777
11-21-2009, 01:47 PM
This is true. It would be helpful, but as far as cost/performance advantage goes, it's almost always in favor of upgrading the rear bar first. I've looked briefly at the front one, but like I said... You'll get more "bang for you buck" by upgrading the rear one.

And wait, so Letitsnow is out? I must have missed that. If that is the case, the first nine production bars will be shipped to these people:

1. immortal_suby sn 003
2. Sov13t sn004
3. GreenMarineSVX sn005
4. Tim sn006
5. Shaun -YourConfused sn007
6. cozykat sn008
7. Craig (ridered777) sn 009
8. Odepaj sn 010
9. Techy101 sn011

Do I have the list correct?

I'm getting excited....

I'm SO in still. Hopefully it'll arrive before I'm wrapped up with my 5spd conversion. :p