PDA

View Full Version : Svx Chopping

tubbstcg
05-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok i know this will probably be considered heresy but has anyone thought about turning the svx into a true 2 seater? I think it would be a really cool project and cheap considering it would take next to no money just tools and patience. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Jonathan

YourConfused
05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I can't picture what you would do to the car. And by hearsay did you mean blasphemy?

tubbstcg
05-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Well i was thinking along the lines of chopping about a foot or so of metal out of the middle of the car and welding it back together. Yes i meant heresy as a lot like blasphemy but blasphemy is against the god heresy is against the organization i think.

SilverSpear
05-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Man are you feeling OK?

Have you considered what will you do to the rear glass quarters and sunroof mechanism? Have you considered that the SVX will look abnormal with a long nose and a short body?

:barf:

tubbstcg
05-19-2008, 04:02 AM
Well i was planning on using a scrapper svx to try it on. The glas might be able to be cut to size and the overall length cant be affected too much due to the fact you only have little over a foot between the front seats and the raised up section for the gas tank. Just an idea i haven't lit up my blow torch yet:rolleyes:

Mike621
05-19-2008, 06:01 AM
:rolleyes:

The glass can't be cut to size. It is heat treated (tempered) glass and has compound curves. This project would be extremely difficult to impossible to complete and would yield no aesthetic or performance gain.

TomsSVX
05-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Blasphemy and Heresy are both commonly used in relation to religion. Heresy is a more appropriate word in this situation. None the less it would be no simple task and would require quite a bit of money for the customized parts... such as window glass, driveshafts, etc...

Tom

Subafreak
05-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Sounds like an* interesting idea but i fear it would fear it would make the car look funny. Photochop anyone?For another idea, ever consider trying to mave the drivetrain back a coulpe inches? As far as front axle angles will allow.* It wounld center the cars gravity somemore and pull some weight off the nose.

ensteele
05-19-2008, 08:08 AM
I don't know what the advantages are of taking a great car and chopping it. :(

black beast
05-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Do you mean like REALLY cutting it down, or do like subafreak, myself and I dont know how many other members have done. Take out the rear seatsI and consider putting a fiberglass cap over it, but then decide that (in subafreaks casse) that it would be better to mount the 5 point harness, and in my case that I dont have the skills to do?

Which one do you mean? one is pretty silly, you would mess up the body lines... the other has been done, just get a 10mm and a 14mm socke and have fun.

lechnoid
05-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Any possibility you could enlighten us as to the motivations to wanting to do this? Is it for personal aesthetic reasons, to take a really unique car and make it even more unique, some idea about performance, just for the challenge....?

Overall, I think you're trying to bite off more than you can chew even more so than I am with my project. One thing I know you're dead wrong about though is that it won't cost much money. Even if you're just talking cutting, welding, and resealing your supply costs alone are going to be astronomical. As it stands, you'd be looking at getting custom glass made for a very curved surface. Far from cheap.

My main concern with this would be post-welding frame straightness. How on earth do you plan on keeping the alignment within tolerances?

tubbstcg
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
well i didnt know the glass couldnt be cut down....The idea was for uniquness sakes i want to shorten the car about a foot. Idk if it would mess up the body lines once again just an idea i think it would turn out as a nice look and i have a junkard svx to work on.

SURTEESS
05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes had similar issues with an old Mini (1968) that I chopped 3 feet out of the middle - it was as long as it was wide...
But the rear door section had to be chopped to match-up with the rear wheel cutouts.
Very cool little car - you sat in the rear seat (front seats were gone!!) - could also do wheelies in reverse!!!

Will see if I can find a photo - only took me a weekend to cut & re-weld the major body back together (doors took about another week) - then de-seamed around the roof & the front/rear pillars.....

Bring back those days....

Steve in NZ

tubbstcg
05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Wow that sounds pretty cool was it worth doing or was it just something to pass the time?

LetItSnow
05-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Who remembers this classic? <clicky (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23678&highlight=1631)>

tubbstcg
05-19-2008, 06:44 PM
My new inspiration an svx of that size must only weigh 3300 lbs :).Has anyone actually priced the glass or are we just assuming it is really expensive?

It's Just Eric
05-19-2008, 08:16 PM
not gonna work in any way, shape, or form. if it does, youll look just as foolish as this guy (Click here for waste of time, effort, and money) (http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/01/toyota-prius-convertible-dont-see-that-every-day/)

Not only would custom glass need to be made, so would interior pieces,body panels, various bits of structural support, driveshaft, fuel lines, brake lines,e-brake cables, trunk AND fuel release cables, wiring harnesses shortened or at LEAST tucked away, and on top of that, ALOT of body work to make sure all the finer details are taken care of, as well as the cost of a paint job

tubbstcg
05-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Has anyone priced the glass or know of a place that can custom make some?

Sov13t
05-20-2008, 08:33 AM
not gonna work in any way, shape, or form. if it does, youll look just as foolish as this guy (Click here for waste of time, effort, and money) (http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/01/toyota-prius-convertible-dont-see-that-every-day/)

Prius rulez... the top ugliest car list

tubbstcg
07-07-2008, 05:35 PM

I know I stink at photo shop but what do you guys think of the idea

joe62890
07-07-2008, 05:53 PM

I think you should sell your car before you do something stupid to it.

Oh and why would you want it to have no back seat?

tubbstcg
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
uniqueness I know its not everyones cup of tea but i like the idea and it looks cool to me i have an old parted out svx shell i was gonna try it on first

TomsSVX
07-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh and why would you want it to have no back seat?

Because it is a coupe:)

If the body lines would flow, I think it would be pretty kick ass

Tom

joe62890
07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I think it might look good but for the work it would take... not worth it.

tubbstcg
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
I think most of it could be achieved with little money invested and alot of work but at this point I have more time then money

tubbstcg
07-07-2008, 07:18 PM
ok well the main reason i reposted this was so I could strum up some ideas for the windows I need some form of a replacement. So any ideas or websites would be apreciated. Thx

joe62890
07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
ok well the main reason i reposted this was so I could strum up some ideas for the windows I need some form of a replacement. So any ideas or websites would be apreciated. Thx

Just order them from the dealer.

tubbstcg
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
sry I should have mentioned I need some sort of custom glass considering you can not cut the tempered glass.

JLHollowX13
07-07-2008, 11:42 PM
although the photoshop job is kinda..... "different" lol, i kinda like the way it could look. it reminds me of a car ive seen before, maybe if you also made it a liftback it would resemble some 80's style sports cars. i wonder how it would handle being that short of a wheel base. it would probably turn on a dime, it would probably be a sweet auto x racer! lol

i would definitely like to see a finish product, doing it on the scrap svx would be good though, and hey everyone, the more svx's that get torn to shreds, the rarer ours on the road are. plus people are parting out svx's that could be saved with a little work and noone cares, so dont jump all over this guy.

just trying to keep the peace here.

odepaj
07-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Just pull out the rear interior bits and throw the motor back there :D:)

Would be cooler than having a "mini" SVX :rolleyes:

Evil One
07-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Just pull out the rear interior bits and throw the motor back there :D:)
Coolest idea of all.
I am surprised YT isnt cruising one of these around ;)

Jim

Zandar
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Never thought I'd say this, but it kinda looks like an XT.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11011&d=1215473633
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/2241000-2241999/2241548_2.jpg

subbieatnz
07-09-2008, 07:49 AM
if it was to look like that photoshop but just smoothed up an bit i would have one lol. it would take an lot of time and probly munnys. you would have to make sure all it was straight and alliment of every thing was right.

dont no if you could do this and make it rd legal. but mite be easyer too, why not build an space framed type chassie and have fiber glass shell ( to look like photoshoped pic ) and maybe use orginal svx doors? use the motor drive train electrial stuff, windscreen mayb doors etc. hopefully be lighter.
thats just an thought. mite be more work than its worth :lol:

or why not cut it down in to an ute. that b 2 seater and be different. deck probly look to short tho. mite look better with longer deck. got an photoshopped pic some where of what one would look like
heres some pics huck or some 1 did an year or more ago
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i139/xtsub/Photoshopped%20pics/svx-amino.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i139/xtsub/Photoshopped%20pics/svx-amino2.jpg

Hocrest
07-09-2008, 08:20 AM
sry I should have mentioned I need some sort of custom glass considering you can not cut the tempered glass.
You could use Lexan for those windows. Cut and form it yourself...

tubbstcg
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
thx for the advice is lexan very hard to work with?

odepaj
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Coolest idea of all.
I am surprised YT isnt cruising one of these around ;)

Jim

Yeah, would have been cool if he had gone through with it :D

I think I would :drool: if someone did it.

TomsSVX
07-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, would have been cool if he had gone through with it :D

I think I would :drool: if someone did it.

Who said I am not:)

Tom

odepaj
07-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Tom

Ahhh, I see!

:lol:;):cool:

It's Just Eric
07-09-2008, 09:32 PM
.....Dunno tom..mabey one of the parts cars will have to turn into the ute...That thing looks kinda cool for a truck:eek:

Zandar
07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
It looks cool for a truck, but godawful for an SVX.

Evil One
07-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Tom

I would have to drive to Jersey to see that in person.

Jim

TomsSVX
07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
I would have to drive to Jersey to see that in person.

Jim

I have got a couple other things to square away first... I do have full intentions of doing it tho

Tom

tubbstcg
07-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I was woundering if anyone knew anything about the road legal issues dealing with chopping the svx or know of any place i can look for some information on it? Any help will be apreciated thx

TomsSVX
07-15-2008, 06:56 AM
I believe it would need to be registered as a custom and totally reinspected to be sure it meets all safety specifications... That is if you wanted to tell anyone about it;)

Tom

SilverSpear
07-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Never thought I'd say this, but it kinda looks like an XT.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11011&d=1215473633

I think the car would look even cooler if you can move the front wheel a little bit to the front, or shorten the nose in a professional way...

tubbstcg
07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
well tom i like that idea but i think there would be major legal complications with the insurense ppl lol....and knowing my luck id pick one of the only lamborghinis in WV to hit : ). To what you said silver spear that doesnt sound too bad of an idea except for the massive work involved i think it would also be neat to take a couple inches out of the doors to make the doors a lil smaller but once again that would be a lot more work

NikFu S.
07-15-2008, 12:07 PM

I see potential, both for a sweet ride and disaster.

TomsSVX
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
well you would need custom insurance too... It really prob isn't worth the hastle of going through with this unless you plan to spend the next couple years working at it... Not a weekend project at all :lol: Neither is mine but it would still be fun as hell to do it.

Tom

tubbstcg
07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I know i have the time to invest ....probably not the expertise but thats y i was going to start with a junker and see how it will all work out. I have plenty of wonderful ppl around to help me. One of my dads buddys is actualy a welder on several different air craft carriers in Va. I think a couple of submarines, but back on subject i wouldnt mind paying for custom insurence after all is said and done she probably wont even be my daily driver.

Mike621
07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I still dont see a point.

Buy an XT or something...

tubbstcg
07-15-2008, 04:01 PM
well the point is anyone can take money and aquire damn near anything. I love cars and id much rather be the type who invests time effort and a little money and get something wounderful and worthwhile of all the time i put into it.

TomsSVX
07-15-2008, 04:14 PM
well the point is anyone can take money and aquire damn near anything. I love cars and id much rather be the type who invests time effort and a little money and get something wounderful and worthwhile of all the time i put into it.

Its more satisfying to do it yourself too... Such a great feeling when you can say... IT WORKS!!!

Tom

CigarJohnny
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM

I know I stink at photo shop but what do you guys think of the ideaReminds me of a Conquest Tsi

B-Rad
07-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Is it me, or does it look a little bit like a pontiac Fiero? :D

Personally I think it looks "alright." I'm a really big fan of those mid-80s early-90s body styles (Pontiac Fiero GT's, not the uglier ones, and 1990 Mercedes-Benz CL500 coupes) but I would never do it to an SVX, ever.

It's your time, money, sweat and tears sir. All I'll say is good luck and stay safe with whatever you decide on doing.

subbieatnz
07-23-2008, 01:30 AM
i say do it to an svx that isnt mint. use an ruff one but thatz still good and do it.

SilverSpear
07-23-2008, 02:02 AM
i say do it to an svx that isnt mint. use an ruff one but thatz still good and do it.

I would actually use two SVXi, one with damaged front end and one with damaged rear end... :rolleyes: