PDA

View Full Version : Ground Control coilovers

apocalixto
05-17-2008, 12:46 AM
hey everybody,

i just purchased the Ground Control coilovers, and I wanted to see what you all thought of these springs.
is it worth it to install them myself, or is it worth the money to pay someone else to do it? I was reading that there may be some welding involved. Is that true?
I guess I should have read a little more about them before I ordered them, but I saw that that was the spring of choice by most svx owners.

Any answers you may have will be most appreciated!

YourConfused
05-17-2008, 01:29 AM
The kit involves cutting and welding.

I used a plasma cutter to get rid of the stock lower spring perches on the strut body. Then Tig welded the new spring perch onto the strut body. I did this as part of the koni/ g.c. conversion.
I am not too optimistic towards the effects that would result from introducing this amount of heat into the stock struts. I think that it would not be good for the oil and seals of a stock strut, therefore I would not recommend putting these on stock struts. There should be some pics in my sig link of what they look like with the Koni inserts installed.

The springs are not too stiff for daily driving, and the ride height adjustability is really nice for fine tuning. It is one of the few mods to my car that I am happy with.

TomsSVX
05-17-2008, 06:34 AM
You need to have the konis in order to use the coilovers...The spring rates will destroy stock struts and the heat from welding will blow them up... Literally fire and explosions

Tom