PDA

View Full Version : 10th anniversary meet UK

TonyShaleUK
06-09-2002, 11:50 AM
What a great weekend! Great turnout, learned lots about the differences between the different specs. Thoroughly enjoyed meeting you all and every aspect of the event.

Many thanks to Joe, Rich and Claire for organising and hosting - and cooking great breakfasts, by all accounts!

Roll on next year.......

Aredubjay
06-09-2002, 12:41 PM
We unfortunate folks who were banned from the meeting by a small obstacle called an ocean, are looking forward to seeing pictures of the event. Please post soon! :D

CHRISSVXUK
06-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Just a quick note to say thanks for all the help and advise today! It wa s great to meet every one and see all the great cars, it made me feel sory that I missed saturday! SEE YAH NEXT YEAR!!!
PS (HOME SAFE AND SOUND WITH OUT TOO MUCH MESS):D

svxistentialist
06-09-2002, 04:14 PM
Hi Tony, Randy, and all the gang.

Great meeting, lovely to meet everyone. Sorry I could not wait on Chris from London, too tight a schedule for the ferry, but we can look forward to meeting at the next one! Any luck with the oil leak?

John and I had a wonderful weekend, and thanks in particular to Rich and Claire for doing a thorough job, and I suspect, using up a few favours with friends to look after us. Thanks to everyone who came along, we should have strings of photos for the site when all are developed and jpeged or whatever.

My own was the first SVX I had ever seen. It was great to see so many other cars and compare stereos and so on.

Will chat more tomorrow, have covered 1250 kms, not counting rough seas, in the last couple of days, need my beauty sleep.

Well done everyone.

Joe

svxistentialist
06-09-2002, 04:17 PM
My tag line is too obtuse. Nobody twigged the line is from The Wild Bunch. UK SVXers are too young to remember Sam Peckinpah.

Will junk it and try something from Tarantino.

Joe

svxistentialist
06-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Just noticed, your mail crossed while I was posting.

Glad you got home OK, and trust the experts set you straight on the leak. Looking forward to seeing you again some time, maybe we can organise a minimeet later in the year.

Joe

Phil Hill
06-10-2002, 01:30 AM
Morning all.

Pleased to hear everyone got home safe and sound. We took a somewhat tortous route via family and friends........ but all is well.

I'll echo the thanks to Rich & Claire, made us all feel very welcome, organised a couple of nice rides out, and a superb evening venue. Oh, and a fantastic Sunday breakfast !! And let's not forget who's fault this all was eh Joe ??

I'm collating the digital pictures I've already got. What I intend to do is add a picture credit to recognise who "owns" each picture. That way no-one get's into trouble over copyright !! With the various picture owners permission, I'll compile a CD of pics and send to anyone who's interested in a copy. To that end please can Graham let me know if he's OK for his pictures to be made available. Also if you've got any of Sundays pictures you want to add Graham, drop me a line.

Tony, I tried to return your e-mail but BTinternet bounced it back so empty your inbox please !! Same for anyone else with pictures, either PM me or e-mail me and we'll make contact offline.

Aredubjay and our american cousins, I'll post some pictures and a little review of the event soon.

Best regards

Phil.

b3lha
06-10-2002, 02:59 PM
What a great weekend.

Thanks to Joe for cracking the whip and getting everyone to turn up, and to Rich and Claire for their hospitality. We really enjoyed meeting everyone and putting faces to the names on the screen.

Can't wait until the photos are developed.

Phil & Belha.

svxistentialist
06-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Good to hear from you bucks from Bucks.

I say uniques, because you are probably the only ones in the UK with 4ws. However, I must check with Chris in Edinburgh, not sure what his is.

Very impressive, by the way, how your car almost does a U-turn in a narrow street. Mine needs a whole carpark.

When we have all photos developed, we have two things to attend to pretty soon. First, we need to agree on an appropriate shot to portray the meeting, that we could apply to a t-shirt, or possibly to a mouse mat. We would all I am sure like something like that to commemorate the very first SVX meeting. History was made.

Also, Andy from Guernsey needs a few shots and a written precis of events to forward to Subaru UK, who wish to feature us in their trade mag.

Both of these articles would be appreciated by our American cousins.

Keep in touch as you get your photos developed. Convert the best into jpegs, we will run a beauty contest to see what photo images are most attractive, and represent us and the cars to good advantage.

Joe:) :D

Andy
06-11-2002, 02:03 PM
Arrived in Torquay with some trepidation. Would I find a group of anally retentive nerds?

My fears were unfounded, what a great bunch of people! Unfortunately, I had to disappear early (great relief for all others) as I am sure the rest of the weekend was equally enjoyable.

Special thanks to Joe for getting us all together and to Mr & Mrs Rich for the amazing hospitality.

Unfortunately we caught the bad weather yesterday (Monday) as we travelled home and we were all badly seasick. I have only just got out of bed now 9pm Tuesday.

Can't wait till next years meet, just hope the weather is better.

Andy

Phil Hill
06-13-2002, 02:21 AM
OK everyone,

I put some photo's from the meet into my Personal locker, only a couple at the moment. The "review" is still ongoing, I'll post it up as soon as it's finished.

Anyone who is interested in a CD containing all the pics I have, please drop me an e-mail or something.

Phil.

svxistentialist
06-13-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks Phil, the photos are way cool. Just got my first set of APS snaps back today, some good, some crap, but a few nice ones. I still have rolls in the other two cameras unfinished.

I will finish off the rest and get developed, and then see about uploading the good ones.

We had nine cars in total, but seven was the total at any one time. Compared to looking at US pics, it is odd that only one of the nine was wearing a rear spoiler. We are obviously a more conservative bunch than our colonial cousins, a brash lot {No reflection on you, Phil and Belha, that spoiler on yours is real neat, very professional finish.}

Let us know as you get your shots processed.

Joe:)
And Chris, nice black & claret car. I had press photos to show you, but we can do it again, something to look forward to.

MartyMcFly
06-14-2002, 03:09 AM
Looks good!

I would have loved to be with you up there on the British Island.
I have never seen an SVX except my own.
I hope that there is a meeting in the middle of europe some time.

best wishes

have a nice weekend

mfg hrc

Phil Hill
06-14-2002, 09:32 AM
I've posted about another half dozen pictures in my Locker for everyone to view.

More to come soon !!

Phil.

TonyShaleUK
06-15-2002, 01:07 AM
Great pics, especially Torr Abbey.

Hope that you have an extra big locker for this lot!

Re your offer of a cd, I would like to put in an order please. Tho' I suspect that you are going to be tied up for some time in your locker - not literally, of course!

svxistentialist
06-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Yes Phil, I am putting in an order for one also. Is it possible everyone's pics fit on one CD?

If so, maybe we could aim for this, it would be the definitive record.

Joe

Phil Hill
06-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Well.........

At the moment I've got about 55Mb of pictures, these being mine, Andy's and Graham's. The pics I'm posting to my Locker are actually reduced size and edited to create the best images, that's one excuse for me taking so long to post them !!!! It also helps them download in a reasonable time. Having said that the server here seems pretty good for speed.

So even though 55Mb is only 10% of a CD, it's easier, cheeper and more robust than any other widely used media.

If anyone has any pics to add, I'd be happy to receive them, drop me an e-mail or PM. I've not done anything yet, but I guess there will have to be a cut-off date sometime.

Phil.

Richdev65
06-17-2002, 01:23 PM
Photos are great. Yes to a CDwhen its available. I like the one thats shows my house overlooking the sea-front!! Thanks for all the adulation put on myself and Claire, its gratefully accepted. It was a pleasure to organise and made all the better for such a good turnout (British weather included ).I think Joe was the driving force,we just did what we were told!! Weve also got some fab photos ,but they are on antiquated 35 mm, so we will have to share them with you when we see you next. And `soon` couldn`t be soon enough. We would be happy to travel somewhere this year if anyones got any suggestions of a place and date. The Emerald Isle might be nice or even Lemmington Spa. A memory that will fondly stay with us of the weekend,will be the "gatecrashing" of the car show!! Very funny,but we had the best `stand` I recon,between Toyota and Honda.
Rich & Claire.

Andy
06-17-2002, 04:04 PM
I have put a couple of shots in my locker, not too good quality. I will play with them later.

Andy

svxistentialist
06-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Richdev65
. And `soon` couldn`t be soon enough. We would be happy to travel somewhere this year if anyones got any suggestions of a place and date. The Emerald Isle might be nice or even Lemmington Spa. A memory that will fondly stay with us of the weekend,will be the "gatecrashing" of the car show!! Very funny,but we had the best `stand` I recon,between Toyota and Honda.
Rich & Claire.

The Emerald Isle is open all summer! We have a tradition here of repelling British invasions, but we generally suspend hostilities during the Summer months. Something to do with tourist Sterling being desirable to the exchequer.

On a more serious note, anybody fancies a ramble over here, there's a big welcome, I will try and do as well as Torquay and you won't believe the price of petrol till you buy it.

As Tony is from Lemmington Spa, we will keep him away from the seafront in case his head gets a rush of the vapours. You know what salt water can do to the interior of the SVX!! :D

Anyone interested in a mini-meet late on in the year, I generally go over to the Classic Car Show in Birmingham in November. Be happy to meet any of the SVX crew there, but I would not be expecting an SVX stand for 10 or 20 years or so.:) Rich can get a good copy of the Club Logo. We could be moving on with the souvenir, if we expect to post anything to the States for July.

Joe

Phil Hill
06-18-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Anyone interested in a mini-meet late on in the year, I generally go over to the Classic Car Show in Birmingham in November. Be happy to meet any of the SVX crew there, but I would not be expecting an SVX stand for 10 or 20 years or so.:)
Joe

Mini-meet ?? Oh, now I understand. :). Interest light came on bright for a moment there !!

Not a bad idea though Joe !! Hmmm, SVX club stand amongst all the MG, TR and Healeys. :D

Phil.

LarryIII
06-18-2002, 04:25 AM
Phil,

I would be interested, but first I have to get the amphibious kit from SVXIT. Then I can drive over. The only problem is that my steering wheel is on the left side of the car ( I have one of the colonial models).:D :D :D :D :D

Larry III

Phil Hill
06-18-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by LarryIII
Phil,

I would be interested, but first I have to get the amphibious kit from SVXIT. Then I can drive over. The only problem is that my steering wheel is on the left side of the car ( I have one of the colonial models).:D :D :D :D :D

Larry III

Hmmmm, I've had a think about that Larry. Short of getting MI5 to convert your SVX to James Bond spec al la Lotus Esprit, I guess we could use the suggested twin H6 quad turbo engine from the other forum and convert to a hovercraft !!

I seem to remember all the drivers school cars here have dual controls, at least for the pedals anyway, so you could sit the right side (sic) but not have control of where the wheels point.............

Phil.

LarryIII
06-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Phil,

Jimmy B's Lotus was rigged for underwater driving. The SVX Amphibious Kit, P/N #34872-JFX-067-GLUBGLUB, is for surface driving only.

Or to paraphrase a very famous prize fighter (pugilist);
"Floats like a butterfly, sinks like a stone".

Larry III

svxistentialist
06-22-2002, 10:23 AM
Have sent my APS stuff off today for conversion to jpegs. should have a Cd of all photos early next week.

I can upload some of the better ones, there are a few worthwhile, and we can put all photos on the one CD like Phil suggests.

svxistentialist
06-26-2002, 06:22 PM
Have just got my jpegs back, and have posted a lot of them to my personal locker.

Some are nice, some are even good, and if anyone wants copies of any, maybe the convoy ones, as I was bringing up the rear, then I also have high resolution versions I can send to you. Be warned, they are huge, but if you want one....

I have still some undeveloped in the 35mm. They are usually good, but I won't presume till I see them.

Phil, I have this lot on one CD. I may be able to add the 35mm set to it also. If it is then useful to post you the CD for inclusion, I will do so. Let me know what works best.

Joe

Andy
07-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the CD Joe, some really nice pics. The car in front of you in the convoy looks really cool.

Still managing to hold on to the SVX at the moment. Things are really tight and will be for a few months yet, hope I can hang in there.

Andy

Piston broke

svxistentialist
07-20-2002, 03:30 AM
Yes Andy

Some nice shots of the rear of your Silver Surfer. Do hope you can hang on to it. Cars ARE only cars at the end of the day, but these are more worthwhile than most. They take a load of pressure off you because of the reserve of capability, and the comfort, or they can add to the fun factor if you are in the mood.

Sent Phil a set also, but I am not sure he is back from Japan yet. We could then make a full and catalogued CD from the pics, assuming all who have taken shots have forwarded for inclusion.

See you soon

b3lha
07-23-2002, 05:01 AM
We've finally got around to picking out the best of our photos from the meet and scanning them. I've just uploaded them into our personal locker.

We've also transferred the video footage onto our PC, but at 172 Megabytes, it's a bit large to upload here. I'll contact Phil Hill and see if he has space for it on the CD.

Phil & Belha.

Phil Hill
07-23-2002, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone

Just to keep you in the picture, I've been off-line for a while, actually I'm in Japan at the moment, with work I hasten to add...... And I've seen one SVX/Acylone while I've been here so can't be bad. Anyway, I've got most pictures from folks who attended the meet, just Phil and Bella to get now. Once I've got their pics I will collate and burn Cd's. All who were at the meet are entitled to a copy, for those who haven't sent me their address please do so. And the others outside the UK who expressed an interest, don't worry I'll send a copy to you FOC, please be a little more patient with me.

Best regards

Phil.

svxistentialist
07-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by b3lha
We've finally got around to picking out the best of our photos from the meet and scanning them. I've just uploaded them into our personal locker.

We've also transferred the video footage onto our PC, but at 172 Megabytes, it's a bit large to upload here. I'll contact Phil Hill and see if he has space for it on the CD.

Phil & Belha.

Thanks guys
You can see that Phil Hill is still in Japan. Some great shots. Will be good to get a copy of everyone's selection as a record of the event.

I thought we were doing quite well with 7 cars together, but the meet in the States seem to have had 70+ cars all together. Will wait on statistics. Some photos on the site, looks to have been great fun.

alanscouse
07-31-2002, 09:35 AM
To Phil Hill and other UK SVX'ers : As a transplanted ex -Brit ( if you look at my screen name you can figure out my origins ! ) here in the US , I would be interested in getting a copy of your CD of the photos of the meet . In turn I am in the process of putting all my Lafayette meet photos on CD-ROM and would be happy to send a copy in exchange .

BTW in a post earlier this year I mentioned a UK sighting during a visit ,

" On Sunday April 14th while driving through the village of Helmsley in North Yorkshire at around 1.30 pm I spotted a burgundy SVX with UK plates parked by the roadside .The only one I've ever seen in the UK ! Unfortunately in the ongoing traffic I wasn't able to turn around to grab a photo , plus I didn't have any club cards to stick on the car ( RATS! it means you should always carry a few in your wallet just in case ) .
I wonder if it was owned by one of our UK members ? "

I think the car I spotted may have been "B3LHA " if my aging brain cells are correct !!

Regards to all : Alan.

Andy
07-31-2002, 10:37 AM
That registration number sounds vaguely familiar, maybe I have seen it before. I wonder if Phil and Belha have come across it?;) ;) ;)

b3lha
07-31-2002, 04:17 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Alan, it wasn't us. We've never been to that area.

Belha & Phil.

alanscouse
08-01-2002, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the reply , just goes to show how the memory can play tricks on you ! I guess it means there is another potential UK member out there somewhere .

Alan.

Andy
08-14-2002, 10:14 PM
I sent a CD with pictures and a write up to Subaru UK, straight to the Director, Media and public Relations, over a month ago.

Still waiting for a response.

Andy

Phil Hill
08-26-2002, 03:17 PM
Hello Boys and Girls

Yes, having escaped Japan my company sent me to Singapore for "a week to ten days", and here I am 4 weeks later.

Anyway, thanks to Joe and P&B for the CD's of their pictures. When I get half a mo I will be collating all the pics I have into the definative UK 10th Anniversary meet CD. I'm sure all the UK members who attended would like one, so those who havent sent me their address had better do so. And those overseas who what a copy the same applies. I'm sure at least one of the antipodian (sp?) members requested one, I'll check my PM's and stuff to remind myself who has responded already.

Speak to you again soon

Phil Hill.

svxistentialist
08-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Good to have you back.

The old UK/European forum has been a bit lax lately. Don't forget we need a write-up as well.

Andy sent me his pics, very nice they are too.

Say hello to Angie.

Andy
08-27-2002, 03:29 AM
Hello Phil,

Did you get my CD?

Andy

LarryIII
08-27-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Andy
I sent a CD with pictures and a write up to Subaru UK, straight to the Director, Media and public Relations, over a month ago.

Still waiting for a response.

Andy

Send it to Drive Magazine in the USA. It is an SOA publication. Include a letter describing the 10th Anniv. UK SVX Meet and some details about the UK SVX Club. Good Luck.

Phil Hill
08-27-2002, 08:23 AM
Yes Andy, I have your CD also. Err, stay tuned, watch this space or something........

Phil.