PDA

View Full Version : Temperature sensative stuff?

maximvsv
06-07-2002, 03:24 AM
I expect my transmission is going out, but as I'm dealin with that and the weather gettting warmer, the quirks of my SVX keeep compounding.

I'll ignore the check engine light coming on once, for now.

Here's what making my brain itch. When temperatures under the hood get the outside temperature reading over 97 degrees, the door lock remotes stop working. Where is there a circuit that could be staying open? It's not requiring any reprogramming, just waiting unttil the temperature hanges.

Next, I think involves the fuel pump. Often enough, I'm trying to start up from a stop or even trying to put on a little highway passing speed, and the car will either drop a gear and see how high it can rev the engine or, if from a standing start, will let the engine rev high just to get moving. However, when the weather gets warm, there's a new problem. That's when I can step on the throttle and count three or more seconds before the throttle response switches from a slow creep from 500-2500 rpm. From around 3000, the throttle response seems more normal, but sometimes even gives response problems. Fuel pump? Filter? Line? Injectors? Throttle position sensor? Which of the items controlling the engine is likely to be affected by temperture?

dromano
07-29-2002, 05:48 PM
Don't know about the door locks, the rest of the stuff you describe sounds just like when my tranny gave it up, total rebuild. Since I'm 2 months after your post you probably have your tranny fixed by now.

maximvsv
07-30-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by dromano
... you probably have your tranny fixed by now.

Nope. Here's something interesting, too. I've noticed that I'm developing a fuel delivery problem, too. I think I need a new fuel filter, but I may have the pump replaced, too.

vkykam
07-31-2002, 08:00 AM
Maximvsv,

Can't help you with the door lock, that's a head scratcher.

I hope you've flushed your tranny, it may buy you some time.

Now, the fuel problem. Your symptoms matches what's wrong with my car to a tee, but mine will also skip a beat crusing on the highway on occasion, where the revs drop for just a split second, followed by a driveline slam. It will also stall out on occasion. I wasn't able to get it diagnosed, because it wasn't happening often enough. Until this past Sunday.

Things changed prior to no avail: plugs, throttle body cleaned, MAF cleaned, TPS cleaned, fuel pump, fuel filter, O2 sensors.

Car's in the shop now, mechanic seems to think it's either the ignition module or one of the coils. I've given him the OK to try to find the module and all 3 coils from the junkers around here, and I'll know soon enough what's causing it. He's supposed to hook the car up to a scope today to see if he can narrow down the problem, so I'm crossing my fingers.

If I don't post a result here, remind me in a few days and I'll post it here.

VK

Originally posted by maximvsv
Next, I think involves the fuel pump. Often enough, I'm trying to start up from a stop or even trying to put on a little highway passing speed, and the car will either drop a gear and see how high it can rev the engine or, if from a standing start, will let the engine rev high just to get moving. However, when the weather gets warm, there's a new problem. That's when I can step on the throttle and count three or more seconds before the throttle response switches from a slow creep from 500-2500 rpm. From around 3000, the throttle response seems more normal, but sometimes even gives response problems. Fuel pump? Filter? Line? Injectors? Throttle position sensor? Which of the items controlling the engine is likely to be affected by temperture?

maximvsv
08-05-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by vkykam
...Until this past Sunday.

Things changed prior to no avail: plugs, throttle body cleaned, MAF cleaned, TPS cleaned, fuel pump, fuel filter, O2 sensors.

Car's in the shop now, mechanic seems to think it's either the ignition module or one of the coils. I've given him the OK to try to find the module and all 3 coils from the junkers around here, and I'll know soon enough what's causing it. He's supposed to hook the car up to a scope today to see if he can narrow down the problem, so I'm crossing my fingers.

If I don't post a result here, remind me in a few days and I'll post it here.

VK

How did it go?

vkykam
08-06-2002, 06:25 AM
Verdict's still out.

My mechanic hooked up his scope to the car, and still found nothing.

At this point, he thinks it's the MAF. I've arranged with newsvx to purchase a MAF off his son's wrecked 94, so until I get the part, I won't know with any certainty.

The weather's been much cooler over the past couple of days too, so my problem's better to a certain degree...

Will keep you posted.

VK