PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor

IceBlade
04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone with experience know how I could figure out what kind of capacitor I need for my stereo system? Like how many farads or whatever?

Paulrio74
04-04-2008, 04:02 PM
yes, but more information is needed. For example, if the lights are dimming, is it because the stereo pulls to much peak amperage, but typically leaves enough left for the car, or does it always pull to much, leaving you stranded when the alt dies or battery isn't able to charge. How many watts? How many amps do the fuses add up to? How efficient is the amp/amps? What are the symptoms causing you to suspect a cap is required? Sometimes a cap does nothing but use the money you should have spent on an alternator, sometimes it helps. Are the main power and ground wires upgraded/maintained at least? What distances are between the amp and alternator? What gauge cable is it using? Is there a meter handy to measure actual draws on the line? It's a hobby of mine...as a general rule, I've seen 1-2 farads per 1000 watts output suggested. Again, that may be a complete waste of money in your situation, and lower end caps (some) can be shown to put a heavier load on the system while providing no benefit at all.

Trevor
04-04-2008, 06:45 PM
A capacitor close to the stereo system acts as a stored source of energy, which will fill in only very short term high load peaks, which drop the voltage at peak volume levels, as a result of line resistance and or inadequate supply capacity. There is no way of estimating your requirements, other than by cut and trial. You can take it that the the more capacity i.e. measured in farads the better.

lilbrudder
04-04-2008, 08:02 PM
i use 1f for my 1200 watt system and optima red top, works beautifully.

IceBlade
04-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Hm thanks for the responses. My speakers only put out 560 watts and my sub does 300 but I eventually want to get another. Well those are the nominal outputs anyways. So I think I'm probably fine. The only reason I want one is because sometimes I'll have my car off but stereo on and I don't want it draining my battery.

Trevor
04-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Hm thanks for the responses. My speakers only put out 560 watts and my sub does 300 but I eventually want to get another. Well those are the nominal outputs anyways. So I think I'm probably fine. The only reason I want one is because sometimes I'll have my car off but stereo on and I don't want it draining my battery.

A loud speakers can not put out watts i.e. electrical energy. :D

A capacitor can in no way reduce the load on the battery. ;)

SomethingElse
04-05-2008, 05:46 AM

sounds like what you need is a power inverter. This way you can plug in your retractable extension cord to taco bell (or burger king) when your loitering in the parking lot. this will keep your battery from expiring when your boomin your bass for all of your peeps:D

Trevor nice STI badge!

AFBeefcake
04-05-2008, 06:59 AM

A Cap will not stop your battery from draining.

redlightningsvx
04-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Run your audio stuff to an extra battery in the trunk

IceBlade
04-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Hm I guess I'll have to make due with what I have. Thanks, guys.

Trevor
04-05-2008, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=

Trevor nice STI badge![/QUOTE]

Just how did it become included. Not by my doing. :confused::confused:

Paulrio74
04-06-2008, 12:30 AM
I do remember seeing a cheap little device that would set off a circuit breaker if the voltage dropped too much. I think it was for cars at the airport and such, around 30 bucks. You could listen until the power died, then pop the hood, flip the breaker and drive away. It would still likely delete the presets and such though. I'm not sure they are even offered anymore.

IceBlade
04-06-2008, 09:40 AM
I do remember seeing a cheap little device that would set off a circuit breaker if the voltage dropped too much. I think it was for cars at the airport and such, around 30 bucks. You could listen until the power died, then pop the hood, flip the breaker and drive away. It would still likely delete the presets and such though. I'm not sure they are even offered anymore.

Hmm thanks, maybe I'll check that out.