PDA

View Full Version : Solid copper head gaskets

Dessertrunner
03-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have any ideas if copper head gaskets work or not, are then better then the orignal?
Tony

huck369
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Most people that use copper gaskets do so because you can re-use them, and they will generally handle more boost than stock gaskets...

Dessertrunner
03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Have any of the guys boosting used them?

cdigerlando
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Have any of the guys boosting used them?

Not that I know of, but I was considering getting some made for our car at one time. I'm going with cometic head gaskets now. They are off the shelf. At one time I was considering reducing the compression with copper head gaskets, but decided against it. It would be interesting to see if it would work though.

SilverSpear
03-20-2008, 12:32 AM
The disadvantage of coppers is that (as I have read in the past) gets "eaten" by water... any comments on that?

huck369
03-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Copper roofs are the longest lasting roofs.....and they are exposed to water....

I just hadn't heard that before, but I've never used a copper gasket before...but know some drag racers that do....

GreenMarine
03-20-2008, 08:51 AM
The disadvantage of coppers is that (as I have read in the past) gets "eaten" by water... any comments on that?

Copper roofs are the longest lasting roofs.....and they are exposed to water....

I just hadn't heard that before, but I've never used a copper gasket before...but know some drag racers that do....

It's possible that hot water (antifreeze) would have an effect on the copper. Water becomes "corrosive" in a sense, when it is boiling... Somehow though I doubt that copper would be effected by hot water. I mean copper roofs and the hulls of ships are just some of the uses of copper and they both last a VERY long time... I'll look into it though and see if there is any reaction between antifreeze and copper at high temps...

~ Chris

RallyBob
03-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Not that I know of, but I was considering getting some made for our car at one time. I'm going with cometic head gaskets now. They are off the shelf. At one time I was considering reducing the compression with copper head gaskets, but decided against it. It would be interesting to see if it would work though.

There is already a company that makes copper head gaskets for the EG33. I can't remember the name, but I can look it up.

FWIW, the true down side to copper gaskets is they tend to 'weep', or seep coolant until the engine is up to temp. Even fully annealed, they are not truly compressible. I ran a copper head gasket on my Toyota 22R w/supercharger 20+ years ago, and it was aggravating to say the least. There was always coolant leaking, and that was with ARP head studs and with an o-ringed block. Hylomar is supposedly the best thing to use to prevent or reduce the seepage, but I never tried it back then.

Dessertrunner
03-20-2008, 01:35 PM
There are some real interesting issues coming out it would be good to find some one using them now.
Tony

GreenMarine
03-20-2008, 03:14 PM
There are some real interesting issues coming out it would be good to find some one using them now.
Tony

On an SVX, doubtful... On WRX's oh yeah... You can probably check on NASIOC in the Engine sections for more info :)

~ Chris

Nomad
03-20-2008, 05:16 PM
I've bought them and waiting to install them this summer on my second engine ... tell you latter !! :)

Dessertrunner
03-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Were did you buy them and how much?

Nomad
03-21-2008, 08:38 AM
took from :

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

I think it was something like 355 $ with shipping .

SVXRide
03-21-2008, 08:47 AM
To follow up on what Chris was saying...Copper gasket + aluminum block = dissimilar metals which can contribute to galvanic corrosion. Honestly, I think that LAN's approach to machining in a slight "step" around each cylinder provides enough additional "crush", making stock head gaskets adequate. A related point is that we're starting to see more HG leakage across the EG33 community now that we're getting more engines in the +190k mile region (mine included:mad:), so I believe we can take it as a given that the stock HGs are good for at least 150k miles (okay, now folks can chime in on how their HGs blew in less than 150k miles:rolleyes:)
-Bill

Dessertrunner
03-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Bill,
I agree with your point on the length of time the current head gaskets last as the one on my car is failing now and the car has 440,000 K on it. The eonly time you get trouble earlier is if you cook the engine for some reason.

Tony

demonsvx
03-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Try some of this stuff http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Copper_Spray-A-Gasket_Hi-Temp_Adhesive_Sealant.htm next time you install head gaskets. I built a few engines in the past(v8s and motorcycle engines) with this and it works well. It works so well I ran my 79 YZ400 without 1 of the headbolts for a while:eek:and had no problems, except when it came time to replace the piston almost didnt get the head off:D Some racers around here live by it.