PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay modification

B-Rad
03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey everyone, I tried using the search as much as possible before starting this thread, but no luck.

Anyway, anyone know how hard / impossible / not-worth-it it'd be to relocate some of the under-hood components, mainly the fuse box and coolant reservoir. I've already read a few threads about moving the battery, and the windshield wiper reservoir isn't an integral component to the operation of the engine, so it could be removed completely without much fuss, I would imagine.

I'm trying to brainstorm some ideas for that whole "two intake two air filter one MAF" mod that I was reading up on earlier today, but I could use some ideas to make more room under the hood, if I ever try to go from Idea to Reality.

RSVX
03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I would think the fusebox would be your biggest hurdle/headache.

Think of the rewiring!

B-Rad
03-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured would be one of the bigger problems, since any more wiring added to it would probably add the slightest bit more resistance and throw a few things off slightly electronics wise, right?

I'd think the coolant reservoir would be a bit of a pain too, but all that would be is new tubing and finding a place to put the darn thing.

Compared than those two, everything else should be relatively easy. The air box would come out anyway, the wiper fluid reservoir is expendable, and there's plenty of information on here about moving the battery.

lilbrudder
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
i wouldn't mess with the fuse box, the svx is prone to electrical gremlins as is, and when you get under the fuse box there is a cruise control vac right below, that wouldn't be fun either... but the other stuff sure, i've been w/o washer fluid container for ever. you could relocate the charcole canister too pretty easily.

SVXRide
03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
There's plenty of room for the coolant reservoir once you've moved the battery;)
-Bill

lhopp77
03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm curious. What are you trying to accomplish by moving components? I notice you have a 96, so performance improvements are going to be more difficult than with earlier years.

Lee

B-Rad
03-17-2008, 01:09 PM
It's nothing, really. During my free time (which is a LOT of time) at work, I play around in MS paint doodling little heres and theres for my SVX.

Like I said earlier I read a thread about making two air-intake hoses coming to the single throttle body housing area but still using only 1 MAF. I'm 100% sure I'd never try doing this, but I just get bored and doodle.

Trevor
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
It's nothing, really. During my free time (which is a LOT of time) at work, I play around in MS paint doodling little heres and theres for my SVX.

Like I said earlier I read a thread about making two air-intake hoses coming to the single throttle body housing area but still using only 1 MAF. I'm 100% sure I'd never try doing this, but I just get bored and doodle.

Do you not realise that presenting a problem and asking questions, requires others to spend a LOT of their free time and effort. :confused: Your play time has been selfishly spent . :(

GreenMarine
03-17-2008, 04:46 PM

Why the hell didn't you come to the Wilmington NASIOC Dyno meet MARINE?!?! I was the only SVX there and sure could have used some company!!

j/k

I expect to see you at the next one though :)

~ Chris

B-Rad
03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Why the hell didn't you come to the Wilmington NASIOC Dyno meet MARINE?!?! I was the only SVX there and sure could have used some company!!

j/k

I expect to see you at the next one though :)

~ Chris

Well hell, sir, If I had known I would've shown up! I'm trying to avoid driving mine too much till I get my wheel bearings replaced though. Tell me where to keep track of such meets, and I'll do my best to show some time.

Also to Trevor,
Not to sound rude, but I don't demand answers from anyone. I simply posted a thread about something and was hoping someone wouldn't MIND taking a few minutes of their time to comment on it. If you lost days of your time trying to wrack your brain for one of my fleeting fancies, I'm sorry.

Also, sorry if I sound like I'm venting, I'm feeling a bit miffed right now. See thread http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43831 for why :(

Zandar
03-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Do you not realise that presenting a problem and asking questions, requires no one to spend a LOT of their free time and effort. :confused: Your play time has been wisely spent musing about SVXes. :)

Fixed it for you.

GreenMarine
03-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Well hell, sir, If I had known I would've shown up! I'm trying to avoid driving mine too much till I get my wheel bearings replaced though. Tell me where to keep track of such meets, and I'll do my best to show some time.

Try www.NASIOC.com and http://flat4nc.com

On NASIOC go to the Southeast Region forums...

Just talk to the other Subaru owners on base there with you... They told me that they had asked you to go to the Dyno meet but you didn't want to go or something...

~ Chris

B-Rad
03-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Ahh.. I think i know exactly who that was. He didn't tell me it was a NASIOC thing though. Plus he scammed outta work early that day, which I don't have such luxury; I actually have responsibilities in my shop, and he doesn't :p

Anyway. I'll look into it some more, might be able to get around to going once I get my bearings replaced and such.

GreenMarine
03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Ahh.. I think i know exactly who that was. He didn't tell me it was a NASIOC thing though. Plus he scammed outta work early that day, which I don't have such luxury; I actually have responsibilities in my shop, and he doesn't :p

Anyway. I'll look into it some more, might be able to get around to going once I get my bearings replaced and such.

Bad thing about bearings, if they're not replaced correctly then you'll be doing them again in a few months... Best thing to do with them is to just bite the bullet and take it to the dealership... Atleast then you get a 12 month warranty on all the labor. I got to the point where I take my car to the dealership for EVERYTHING. And I only let the Master Tech work on it. No one else touches or drives my car. So find yourself a good mechanic with Subaru to get your wheel bearings done. It'll be alot better than doing them yourself...

~ Chris